The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 November 2014, 12:49 AM   #31
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMae View Post
I wouldn't bring my Vintage watch to RSC if it was free.
I completely disagree with all of this. I really don't understand all the "OMG RSC butchers vintage" rhetoric that gets echoed around here. 5+ years ago, sure, but nowadays, it's just not true.

Quote:
#1: If it's older than 25 years they probably wont work on it
More like 50 these days. My wife's 1966 5700 was no problem.

Quote:
#2: they will charge you 300% more than anywhere else to do work
Eh, not really. I had two vintage Rolexes and 1 vintage Tudor serviced in 2013 and they didn't make me pay more than the regular overhaul price. Maybe $100 more than a typical good watchmaker.

Quote:
#3: If they decide to change any parts you wont get the originals back and their response will be: "too bad, we changed them now pay us."
They don't just "decide" to change parts without telling you. They will make you specifically agree to pay for anything beyond a standard overhaul before they proceed. The days of "whoops, now you have a new dial" are long gone; they're not putting a new dial on without a $500+ surcharge pre-approved by you. The only thing I warn people about is the date wheel -- Rolex considers it a functional part of the movement, so if you want to leave it original, make sure you specify.

Quote:
#4: they will take weeks or months to repair it, rather than a few days
Yes, they usually take 6-8 weeks in my experience...that's totally acceptable to me. You get vintage watches serviced in mere days?

Quote:
#5: They know less about Vintage than shops that specialize in Vintage
True. RSC won't paint-match, seal, or repair hands; all they can do is put fresh new bright luminova ones on if your hands are toast. If your hands are OK, I think RSC is a perfectly legitimate option for servicing most old Rolexes.

...All that said, if I had a 6265, it would definitely be going to a good independent like ABC.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 03:11 AM   #32
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
I completely disagree with all of this. I really don't understand all the "OMG RSC butchers vintage" rhetoric that gets echoed around here. 5+ years ago, sure, but nowadays, it's just not true.

More like 50 these days. My wife's 1966 5700 was no problem.

Eh, not really. I had two vintage Rolexes and 1 vintage Tudor serviced in 2013 and they didn't make me pay more than the regular overhaul price. Maybe $100 more than a typical good watchmaker.

They don't just "decide" to change parts without telling you. They will make you specifically agree to pay for anything beyond a standard overhaul before they proceed. The days of "whoops, now you have a new dial" are long gone; they're not putting a new dial on without a $500+ surcharge pre-approved by you. The only thing I warn people about is the date wheel -- Rolex considers it a functional part of the movement, so if you want to leave it original, make sure you specify.

Yes, they usually take 6-8 weeks in my experience...that's totally acceptable to me. You get vintage watches serviced in mere days?

True. RSC won't paint-match, seal, or repair hands; all they can do is put fresh new bright luminova ones on if your hands are toast. If your hands are OK, I think RSC is a perfectly legitimate option for servicing most old Rolexes.

...All that said, if I had a 6265, it would definitely be going to a good independent like ABC.

x2. Agree with the above, but with two caveats. Case work is not great at the RSCs I've been to (ABC is much better. They can restore the factory finish to the tops of lugs and restore beveled edges without polishing the sides, unlike RSC). RSCs also insist on changing crystals during service. That's mandatory. So, if you've got an original super dome on your Sub or Sea-Dweller, for example, you'll get back a service crystal, which has subtle but important differences, IMHO. They're just not as cool as the originals.

I've had a ton of experience at independents (ABC, Ridley and others) and a ton of experience at RSC NYC. If you are totally clear that you only want a movement service on your vintage Rolex at RSC (crystal issue aside) they will honor that and not replace any visible parts, such as dial, hands, bezel insert, etc ... (The only exception being if, for example, the dial/hands tritium is flaking so badly that the tech believes it might damage the movement.) You can also decline any case work at RSC, such as their standard refinishing. I never, ever let them refinish my cases. A great bonus at the RSC is the Rolex paperwork, which is very nice to have on a vintage piece.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 07:43 AM   #33
Steve61
"TRF" Member

I just sent my Sea Dweller 2000 to ABC based on recommendations I read here, and after talking with Edvi. I had just gotten it back from an RSC. I had sent it there with a broken bezel insert and figured I would have it serviced at the same time. They wanted $350 to give me an estimate, and a minimum expected charge of $2050, because of the age of the watch. Can't wait to get it back from ABC!
Steve61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 01:49 PM   #34
CharlieMae
Banned

Thank You Steve, you just substantiated my entire post.

Forgot about the mandatory estimate fee.

$2050 MINIMUM for a service and replacement insert. Service should be about $250-300 and insert about $100-150. $350-450 in work, RSC charges a 500% mark up.

To each their own. I believe I am in the majority when I say that I would never, ever bring my vintage watch to Rolex NY, but you do what you want to do with your watch.

It isnt just about the money, the work just isnt as good and the risk for seized parts or seized watches (heard a couple of those stories too) just isnt worth it.
CharlieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2014, 12:10 AM   #35
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Forgot about the mandatory estimate fee.

$2050 MINIMUM for a service and replacement insert.
That is pretty staggering, but I'm sure $2,050 includes much more than just an insert and a typical service. RSC NY never charged me for an estimate on any watch, modern or vintage, but I don't have any Paul Newmans or DRSD's. They overhauled my 1530 for $600 flat.

Unless they tripled prices since last year, my sense is that they give special consideration to particularly valuable vintage pieces (or at least vintage Professional Series watches). RSC caught lots of flak for not treating valuable vintages differently from new watches, and now they do, and they still can't win.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote