The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 June 2019, 09:08 PM   #1
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Crrraaazzzzyyyyybundle deal at AD

Hello all,

Ive been inspired to write this based on another thread here recently that's garnered a lot of attention.

Im not going to state that the OP of that thread was wrong or right. But im hoping that my story and experience sheds light on the fact that (big surprise) money talks and ADs will do what they need to do to meet their targets and goals.

This story takes place nearly exactly a month ago at a reputable AD in LONDON

Long story short

1) my brother has just graduated from his masters program and wants an entry level hublot as his gift from my mom (I know hublot right?? Still he wants what he wants)
2) I already have a great relationship with a hublot AD where i live and have a great price for the peice my brother wants
3) whilst visiting my brother in London for his grad ceremony we walk into this AD in a very popular london spot for him to try said hublot on for us
4) out of curioisty I ask AD what they can do as a price ofr this peice including vat return
5) AD gives a good price but is still above what i have it priced for back home witnout vat return or exchange fee hassle
6) i jokingly tell AD ill consider buying said entry level hublot from them if they rummage in the safe and give me a hot SS rolex
7) AD manager says let me see what I can do. 3 minutes later he emerges from the back and tells me he can throw in a rolex sub with date at msrp (plus i get vat back)
8) i nearly choke at this because basically the AD is giving me free money. He cant match the.price i got on the hublot but for some reason can give me a bag of free money instead
9) i take the hublot and rolex. (The rolex is already sold btw). And i basically get the Hublot for a song. My brother is happy to get his watch. My mom is happy cause ive basically just saved her a bunch of money

Bottom line is. No idea why the AD gave me this bundle (in my opinion its insane) but it happened. And it happened at a big dealer in London which is one of the dryest places for SS rolex.
Also goes to prove further that its all about money. I had 0 history with this AD, my brother was wearing and IWC and me a JLC both brands that this AD had So maybe they thought they could get more out of us? But regardless 0 history and i got a fantastic deal and it must have made sense to the AD too (maybe they had a hublot target they needed to hit?)

Very few ADs will abide by the correct "moral code" and will be in it for their own interests.

I know a lot on here will also judge me for buying a rolex I didnt intend on keeping. But frankly how many of you would turn away a bag of free money if offered to you?

Just my convuluted (slightly tipsy at brunch) 2 cents

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
theomegaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:15 PM   #2
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
mmmm - not good.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Hmmm. Think I would have done the same.
I would not "screw" my local AD like that, but given I am in a town I am visiting. Sure, why not. Not that you are screwing them, but you know what I mean. My local AD wouldn't sell it to a flipper so I would respect it and keep it. Overseas. different story.

Not really surprised at the bundle as Hublot doesn't sell like a SS Rolex. He gets inventory out. Sub sold at retail, slight discount on the Hublot. Seems decent enough overall.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:16 PM   #4
uddind
Banned

Hublot are harder to sell so he must have thrown it in just so you get both. Very good deal though.
uddind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:17 PM   #5
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
No reason to judge. You played the game of watches and won.

Hope that your brother is happy with the Hublot
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:17 PM   #6
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

I don’t get it. The sub used is not that much more used than MSRP. About £1500 tops. The hublot is basically a dog and a stale brand, you loose half your money walking out the door so in reality it’s not a good deal. If you’re looking at it from a monetary perspective

Should have bought the hublot used and saved a fortune from day 1. Plus no hassle. Buying hublot from the AD is suicide if you ever wanted to get rid of it
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:19 PM   #7
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I’d say one of the best ways to get hot Rolex models is to buy other brands. That makes you more valuable as a client.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:21 PM   #8
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
I don’t get it. The sub used is not that much more used than MSRP. About £1500 tops. The hublot is basically a dog and a stale brand, you loose half your money walking out the door so in reality it’s not a good deal. If you’re looking at it from a monetary perspective

Should have bought the hublot used and saved a fortune from day 1. Plus no hassle. Buying hublot from the AD is suicide if you ever wanted to get rid of it
Erm.... The hublot was a gift and the value was technically a write off anyways (as it was a gift to be purchased regardless)

As for the rolex i made back a lot kore thab 1500 and That's not counting for the vat return (still pending)

Old 7 June 2019, 09:21 PM   #9
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:22 PM   #10
HappyFish
Banned

For sure you have thrown away more money with the Hublot!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:25 PM   #11
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
For sure you have thrown away more money with the Hublot!
Had i gone and flipped both right away I still would have come out on top given the GBP:USD exchange rate and the vat refund

Given that a budget was already set aside for the hublot that was higher than what i got it for (given what the rolex sold for) basically ended up getting the hublot for peanuts.

It all depends on how you account for things

Old 7 June 2019, 09:31 PM   #12
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
I don’t understand what makes this such a crazy deal. You spent a nice chunk of money and for that you were “allowed” to purchase a sub at retail. Pretty much exactly what others folks have been saying about bundling.

It’s not like the bundle was a Pepsi or a Daytona.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:32 PM   #13
Cyclops888
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the honest story! Congrats with your brother.
Cyclops888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:37 PM   #14
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by theomegaaddict View Post
...The rolex is already sold btw...
Why did you immediately sell the Rolex Submariner?
This kind of flipping watches is one of the causes of the shortage of SS Rolex.

Old 7 June 2019, 09:40 PM   #15
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Can’t say I love this story. You essentially made a few dollars selling a piece that that next customer may have really wanted and loved.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:40 PM   #16
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
I don’t understand what makes this such a crazy deal. You spent a nice chunk of money and for that you were “allowed” to purchase a sub at retail. Pretty much exactly what others folks have been saying about bundling.

It’s not like the bundle was a Pepsi or a Daytona.
I dont think youve quite read the whole story

I had the hublot priced at $xx and that budget set aside by my family for it to be purchased as a gidt for my brother

In London I was offered the hublot at xx+y% but then also offered a submrariner at SRP (- vat refund)

In the end Hublot at $xx+y% - profit from rolex is much < than hublot at $xx already budgeted for

Also SRP of hublot purchased < SRP of rolex

Old 7 June 2019, 09:40 PM   #17
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
Why did you immediately sell the Rolex Submariner?

This kind of flipping watches is one of the causes of the shortage of SS Rolex.

Because he’s a dealer not a collector? I mean only dealers are in it for the money!
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:41 PM   #18
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
Can’t say I love this story. You essentially made a few dollars selling a piece that that next customer may have really wanted and loved.
You are right. Someone else would have loved it more.

But from what happened to me clearly the ad had this peice tucked away in the safe for just such a deal. It was never destined to go to someone who was lusting after it on the waiting list

Old 7 June 2019, 09:42 PM   #19
peterpl
Banned

LOL

Ahh Rolex. 90% of buyers these days are all speculative flippers.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:44 PM   #20
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Because he’s a dealer not a collector? I mean only dealers are in it for the money!
I very much am a collector not a dealer. I was after a watch for my brother not myself.

I had two choices.
Buy just the hublot from back home at $xx
Or buy hublot + rolex and after flipping rolex end up with hublot for about 0.8*$xx
Why would I turn away the extra discount?? Would you or anyone else have?! I highly doubt that

Old 7 June 2019, 09:46 PM   #21
bimmer101
"TRF" Member

I think that you made a great deal OP and I would have done the same. You've ended up getting your brother the watch that he wanted (brand new) for much less than the actual MRSP.
bimmer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:48 PM   #22
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

No wonder genuine buyers cant get SS. I've experienced a similar experience, the AD produced a Sub Date but would only sell it to me if I bundled. I walked, even though I could have had a BB58 + Sub date at retail. I'd rather not feed those dogs with my money.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:50 PM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Thumbs down, sorry. I was offered an SD43 at retail recently. Could have flipped it and made some quick cash but chose to let the next guy on their list buy it. Not a fan of pure flipping. You took a watch out of someone's hands and supplied the grey instead. Hard for me to congratulate this. Maybe I am misunderstanding this but that's how I'm reading this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:51 PM   #24
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theomegaaddict View Post
Erm.... The hublot was a gift and the value was technically a write off anyways (as it was a gift to be purchased regardless)

As for the rolex i made back a lot kore thab 1500 and That's not counting for the vat return (still pending)

Your OP was written from a monetary perspective of how well you did financially on the deal (in real term calcs, it’s not)

From a write off perspective, it’s fine obviously. And as a gift, etc etc

The Vat return is tax evasion so shouldn’t be in the calcs for comparison

Either way, this community doesn’t take kindly to those who brag about flipping when there are many genuine people here who cant get hold of a sub who really want one. You’re feeding the frenzy

Edit: to add, why does it have to be new? What’s wrong with NOS or used mint? (For half the price) He wouldnt know the difference nor would anyone else. It’s only new for the few minutes before he puts it on. After that moment, it’s used anyway so who gives a...
Old 7 June 2019, 09:56 PM   #25
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of this story but that's my personal opinion. It's a free market and people are able to do as they choose. I have no interest in flipping, ever. I would simply keep the piece. As for the Hublot, that says it all. I would keep the Sub and forgot the Hublot.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:56 PM   #26
bimmer101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Thumbs down, sorry. I was offered an SD43 at retail recently. Could have flipped it and made some quick cash but chose to let the next guy on their list buy it. Not a fan of pure flipping. You took a watch out of someone's hands and supplied the grey instead. Hard for me to congratulate this. Maybe I am misunderstanding this but that's how I'm reading this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
Wouldn't be surprised if that AD will offer it to the next customer to motivate him to buy a bundle instead of offering it to the list.
bimmer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:57 PM   #27
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your OP was written from a monetary perspective of how well you did financially on the deal (in real term calcs, it’s not)

From a write off perspective, it’s fine obviously. And as a gift, etc etc

The Vat return is tax evasion so shouldn’t be in the calcs for comparison
Fortunately where i live that hublot would not have made the threshold for tax (which is virtually none existant ;) )

Old 7 June 2019, 10:03 PM   #28
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Your relative should have taken the sub. The hublot is horrid. But then again when these things are being gifted at such a young age at this level it sounds like his whole life has been a free ride so far so it probably doesn’t make any difference. Easy come easy go.
Old 7 June 2019, 10:06 PM   #29
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your relative should have taken the sub. The hublot is horrid
My brother wanted the hublot. I advised him against it but he liked it for his reasons. Arent we all saying regualrly on this forum buy what you like?
All i did was ensure he got what he wanted at the best price possible

Also i do not appreciate your tone. Each has their own circumstances and conditions. Who are you to judge?

Old 7 June 2019, 10:10 PM   #30
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Out of interest, did the AD remove the stickers or keep the warranty card from the Submariner?
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote