The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 August 2023, 09:32 AM   #1
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

Patek ADs sink to new low

Hello all,

Avid Rolex/GS/Omega enthusiast here looking to branch out into Patek. Went to a major Patek AD today to inquire about the Weekly Calendar model as well as the base Calatrava (Ref 6119G). Now I know the Weekly Calendar is considered an 'in demand' model since it's steel but I figured the most basic Calatrava would be attainable with time and patience.

I was told that, to even be CONSIDERED for one of those, I had to buy a piece from the 24 collection. I asked if I could build my purchase history with other brands in their store but was told not for Patek.

So basically I have to buy a women's watch in order to purchase a basic Calatrava!? That's the most asinine thing I have ever heard. The SA who I spoke to said this is coming straight from Patek.

So my question is - are all Patek ADs doing this?

If so, then I'm going straight to gray. It just seems extremely dumb to make a guy purchase a women's watch in order to get even a base men's model.
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 09:36 AM   #2
bokmeipai
"TRF" Member

The weekly calendar 5212A can bought under msrp. There was one listed recently on TRF for around $38k. In this case it would be beter going grey.
bokmeipai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 10:49 AM   #3
Imnosomm
"TRF" Member

First time posting, great reading and learning from everyone over the last couple months.

I went to two ADs this year to buy my first PP:

the first told me I needed to establish a lot of spending history before they would offer me anything. Before the pandemic (mid 2019), this same AD offered two PP but I didn’t take either (5235R, 5230R) - post pandemic, the same AD said he couldn’t offer anything without establishing more spend through pre-owned watches, etc.

In June I visited another AD. I didn’t expect anything to come from the visit, but we had a nice conversation, he met my family, and, after inquiring about me professionally, he offered me two PP (5524R, 5230P). I took the 5524R on the spot and wore it out of the store. About a week later we spoke in more detail about my and my wife’s requests (it’s about 12). She tried on and loved the 5269R, but he didn’t have one available. A couple weeks ago he got it in and now we have two PP in the house in under 3 months. He expects to get me my first Aquanaut by EOY.

I was really down after the first AD gave me bleak outlook, but that all turned around. While mine is only one experience, I would speak to more ADs - it could work out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Imnosomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 12:24 PM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer28 View Post
Hello all,

Avid Rolex/GS/Omega enthusiast here looking to branch out into Patek. Went to a major Patek AD today to inquire about the Weekly Calendar model as well as the base Calatrava (Ref 6119G). Now I know the Weekly Calendar is considered an 'in demand' model since it's steel but I figured the most basic Calatrava would be attainable with time and patience.

I was told that, to even be CONSIDERED for one of those, I had to buy a piece from the 24 collection. I asked if I could build my purchase history with other brands in their store but was told not for Patek.

So basically I have to buy a women's watch in order to purchase a basic Calatrava!? That's the most asinine thing I have ever heard. The SA who I spoke to said this is coming straight from Patek.

If so, then I'm going straight to gray. It just seems extremely dumb to make a guy purchase a women's watch in order to get even a base men's model.

Gray, man! Particularly models that aren’t all that. Like weekly. Or 5524, which I just bot

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 12:26 PM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnosomm View Post
First time posting, great reading and learning from everyone over the last couple months.

I went to two ADs this year to buy my first PP:

the first told me I needed to establish a lot of spending history before they would offer me anything. Before the pandemic (mid 2019), this same AD offered two PP but I didn’t take either (5235R, 5230R) - post pandemic, the same AD said he couldn’t offer anything without establishing more spend through pre-owned watches, etc.

In June I visited another AD. I didn’t expect anything to come from the visit, but we had a nice conversation, he met my family, and, after inquiring about me professionally, he offered me two PP (5524R, 5230P). I took the 5524R on the spot and wore it out of the store. About a week later we spoke in more detail about my and my wife’s requests (it’s about 12). She tried on and loved the 5269R, but he didn’t have one available. A couple weeks ago he got it in and now we have two PP in the house in under 3 months. He expects to get me my first Aquanaut by EOY.

I was really down after the first AD gave me bleak outlook, but that all turned around. While mine is only one experience, I would speak to more ADs - it could work out well.

Sick. As. It. Gets. I absolutely love mine

Old 28 August 2023, 12:27 PM   #6
Imnosomm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Sick. As. It. Gets. I absolutely love mine

I love it too! I ordered a second strap as well. Will post photos when it arrives.

Imnosomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 05:55 PM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hello all,

This is most certainly not Patek policy, time is all that needed. Speak to another AD.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 06:59 PM   #8
patlex
"TRF" Member

No. I would bring my money somewhere else. Patek does not have such policy in place. Plain bs that they cited this.
Good luck with your hunt. Time is all it takes!
patlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 07:00 PM   #9
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

If Patek policy can be inferred by the policy in Salons, this is not consistent with Patek policy. ADs are a different game though, and each seems to make its own rules. Good luck to anyone playing the AD game.

APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 07:51 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with others, find another dealer or way of procurement. Also highly suggest you email Patek and ask about this policy, and let them know which dealer said this so they are aware of the situation.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 09:27 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Find another AD and if one is not close look to our Trusted Sellers. DavidSW has a new model Calatrava for slightly less than msrp. Many PP watches can be found for less than retail or around there.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 04:11 AM   #12
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello all,

It is not the Patek policy, actually Patek does not condone such practice. You should report the AD directly to Patek

There was an AD who was asking customers to bundle with jewellery etc and that AD is no longer listed on the site as an AD
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 04:26 AM   #13
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
for sure I would email Patek and bring it to their attention at the same time I would also carbon copy your AD on the email, and then wait to see what happens. getting a 5212 is not that difficult these days on sourcing one through a trusted grey dealer for close to or less than MSRP
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 05:32 AM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnosomm View Post
I love it too! I ordered a second strap as well. Will post photos when it arrives.

I ordered a second strap, but the identical strap on which it came. For no real reason other than I knew it was going to get beat up and sweaty. About 400 bucks; I did not, however, get a new buckle

Old 29 August 2023, 07:31 AM   #15
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Having to buy a 24 isn’t a new low, that’s a well established baseline.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 07:36 AM   #16
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Find another AD, but make sure you visit the old one and show off your new Patek as well as any others you purchase.

The AD should understand that this kind of absurd bundling policy for a not-much-in-demand piece directly cost them business (as well as future business).
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 08:36 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I gather these ADs have no men's stock idly sitting around waiting to be sold. So, from their view it is a seller's market in which they can dictate the terms.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 10:38 AM   #18
newonos
"TRF" Member

1. Good excuse to buy the wife a nice watch.
2. Long term, maybe you don't want to be hustled; but remember, your AD doesn't want to be hustled either... �� at these levels unless you're a unicorn, the street runs both ways.
newonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 03:17 PM   #19
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

To be clear, they said no bundling allowed. I would have to wait to purchase a 24 collection piece and the. Wait again for the calatrava or weekly calendar.
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 03:44 PM   #20
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello all,

Quote:
To be clear, they said no bundling allowed. I would have to wait to purchase a 24 collection piece and the. Wait again for the calatrava or weekly calendar.
Definitely not Patek policy, as others have said. Don’t bite on this bluff.

Try another SA at that store. First, hopefully you meet a nicer and more genuine one that isn’t trying to pull a fast one on people. There’s definitely SAs that do that. Also it may sound stupid, but wear your nicest watch. Talk to the SA about why you’re looking to branch into Patek. SAs don’t want to waste their time either, and if you meet one of the nice/genuine ones, they’ll appreciate it. They want to know you’re serious about purchasing and keeping the piece.

Or try another AD.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 03:45 PM   #21
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Patek don't call those shots. the AD does. You do NOT need to buy a ladies watch to start a relationship. There are several great mens watches you can start from.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 03:48 PM   #22
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Admittedly, this is obscene, demoralizing, and scary given the 180 degree change in attitude (and even as a baseline attitude). But Imnosomm’s personal story above really gave me a lift, since I’m soon in a similar boat as you after my AD lost their PP status. I had pretty much resigned, and am watching the grey prices for some improvements in prices. But I do miss the opportunity of new pieces from an AD. If/when I get a chance, I’ll seek to pop into an AD and hope for a reasonable experience. I hope you will also be visiting other ADs and can get your request.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 08:10 PM   #23
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Agree with others, find another dealer or way of procurement. Also highly suggest you email Patek and ask about this policy, and let them know which dealer said this so they are aware of the situation.
Right on! The AD should not be doing this as I understand it.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote