The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 January 2018, 03:27 PM   #1
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Which is the Purist’s Navitimer?

Hey guys,

I’m looking to complete what I call my “basic necessities” collection, which currently includes a Submariner 14060, a Speedmaster 3570.50 and a PAM 000. Obviously the missing piece is a Breitling Navitimer.

Looking around I see this AOPA Anniversary model popping up quite a bit. It looks like it’s very similar in appearance to the original Navi, with black sub dials and the AOPA logo on the dial. But the fact that it’s so easy to find, and oftentimes NIB, kind of makes me wonder what’s wrong with it. Is this an unloved model for some reason?

Considering what I currently have, which Navi fits the bill? There are many. Is the A23322 the purist’s choice, or is the newer 01, or is the AOPA Anniv model a good fit? Then again, they also make the “Heritage” model...

I know that they are all great watches with great movements. I’m just looking for insight from you guys regarding which would fit best into my little collection of basics.

Thanks in advance!

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 04:07 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Which is the Purist’s Navitimer?

Hmm. I'm not exactly sure why you picked the models you did, so it’s a bit hard to suggest the best Navi to match. In some ways though, since the Sub, Speedy and PAM are kind of one removed from the latest models, I guess the A23322 is the most appropriate. If, however, you are trying to link back into the brands heritage in a different way that I can’t see, then I might suggest something else.

It's an interesting exercise though.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 10:42 PM   #3
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Hmm. I'm not exactly sure why you picked the models you did, so it’s a bit hard to suggest the best Navi to match. In some ways though, since the Sub, Speedy and PAM are kind of one removed from the latest models, I guess the A23322 is the most appropriate. If, however, you are trying to link back into the brands heritage in a different way that I can’t see, then I might suggest something else.

It's an interesting exercise though.
Regarding my picks - I just went with what I think is the purest expression of the brand’s iconic piece. It’s not necessarily because they are one removed from the latest offerings, it just worked out that way. The 14060 because it’s before bezels became ceramic and shiny, the PAM 000 because it’s before case backs became snap-on and spring bars replaced screws, and the 3570.50...well just because that was the current model when I bought it.

I think you understood my question though. Your response of the A23322 seems to be right-on.

Thanks!
Old 23 January 2018, 11:35 PM   #4
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
I like the one all the way to the right. I'm not sure why, but when I think of a Navitimer I think of it in this example with the reverse panda dial.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 12:13 AM   #5
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Wait until January 28th to see what the new Navitimer 8 looks like that Breitling and Georges Kern have been previewing on instagram.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 03:18 AM   #6
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Purely on spirit, the 01 takes it hands down. I mean to tap into the brands history, you'd want to reference the Venus 178, that was a tricompax like the 01, and given that it got the bezel shape available in today's offerings around 1964, it would have to have a panda dial too. All black goes with rice beads, which no modern reference offers.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 03:21 AM   #7
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Wait until January 28th to see what the new Navitimer 8 looks like that Breitling and Georges Kern have been previewing on instagram.
That's gonna be a whole different animal though... Not really a nod to what we knew as a Navi so far, more to cockpit clocks and pilot watches in general. Not going to replace the 01 either. Rather the entire Breitling pilot line will be called Navitimer going forward.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 24 January 2018, 03:22 AM   #8
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
I like the one all the way to the right. I'm not sure why, but when I think of a Navitimer I think of it in this example with the reverse panda dial.

Old 24 January 2018, 04:38 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
cosmonaut is my favorite navi. I'd also suggest an original headwind, crosswind, or chronomat/blackbird. All of them have a really nice feel and capture the essence of their 1990-2000 era which were quite nice.

I've got a beautiful one that was just serviced for sale. I really am torn about selling it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breitling-C...item2f13ef8c67
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 04:48 AM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Purely on spirit, the 01 takes it hands down. I mean to tap into the brands history, you'd want to reference the Venus 178, that was a tricompax like the 01, and given that it got the bezel shape available in today's offerings around 1964, it would have to have a panda dial too. All black goes with rice beads, which no modern reference offers.
Thanks! That is exactly the kind of insight I'm looking for.
Old 24 January 2018, 04:50 AM   #11
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

+1.

Quote:
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 04:54 AM   #12
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, absolutely, that reverse panda combined with the white slide rule screams Navitimer. Super cool look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
I've been following their feed on IG, curious to see what the 8 will look like. From what we can see so far it looks very different from the Navitimers that we know and love. Should be cool, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
cosmonaut is my favorite navi. I'd also suggest an original headwind, crosswind, or chronomat/blackbird. All of them have a really nice feel and capture the essence of their 1990-2000 era which were quite nice.

I've got a beautiful one that was just serviced for sale. I really am torn about selling it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breitling-C...item2f13ef8c67
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely think the Cosmonaut is cool, after all it spent time in space!
Old 24 January 2018, 11:52 AM   #13
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Hey guys,

I’m looking to complete what I call my “basic necessities” collection, which currently includes a Submariner 14060, a Speedmaster 3570.50 and a PAM 000. Obviously the missing piece is a Breitling Navitimer.

Looking around I see this AOPA Anniversary model popping up quite a bit. It looks like it’s very similar in appearance to the original Navi, with black sub dials and the AOPA logo on the dial. But the fact that it’s so easy to find, and oftentimes NIB, kind of makes me wonder what’s wrong with it. Is this an unloved model for some reason?

Considering what I currently have, which Navi fits the bill? There are many. Is the A23322 the purist’s choice, or is the newer 01, or is the AOPA Anniv model a good fit? Then again, they also make the “Heritage” model...

I know that they are all great watches with great movements. I’m just looking for insight from you guys regarding which would fit best into my little collection of basics.

Thanks in advance!

AOPA--would be the way to go.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 01:31 PM   #14
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
If you’re looking for the “iconic” Navitimer to me it is the one with a black dial with white subdials on a black strap. Now the debate comes from the older movement to the newer in-house 01 movement. The older movement is part of what made the Navitimer so iconic, but the newer 01 is all Breitling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 12:43 AM   #15
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
If you’re looking for the “iconic” Navitimer to me it is the one with a black dial with white subdials on a black strap. Now the debate comes from the older movement to the newer in-house 01 movement. The older movement is part of what made the Navitimer so iconic, but the newer 01 is all Breitling.
Ah yes, the old 7753 vs B01 debate. That's not something that weighs in my decision too much. I mean, movements are VERY important to me, but those two are both great movements, albeit for different reasons. And, as you've pointed out, the Navitimer has a long history of using excellent sourced movements.

That said, all else being equal in this decision, the B01 may well end up being the tie-breaker.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:57 AM   #16
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I think the coolest one you could get among the reasonably modern ones is the 2011 B01 Limited Edition from when they launched the B01 in the Navitimer line. Kind of a little piece of Breitling history. Obviously I'm not entirely impartial there, but there's a reason I like this watch so much.

As to the matter of Navitimers using sourced calibers in the past, the Navi's reputation was really built in the Venus 178 days. That caliber may have been made by Venus, i.e. not in-house, but afaik that was done in pretty close collaboration with Breitling and the caliber gained its legendary status as Breitling's engine. In fact I don't know of many others using it. To the point where even the 178 powered UG was in fact manufacured by Breitling. So hardly comparable with the ubiquitous 7750, which gained its fame for being... well... ubiquitous. And the 7750 doesn't have a column wheel, unlike both the Venus and the B01.

Old 26 January 2018, 03:23 AM   #17
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Go for the Navi 01. It's got the iconic reverse panda coloring; the original, symmetrical subdial layout; and the better movement.

My take on the other two: If I wanted the AOPA design, I'd try to find the original Navitimer 806. As for the A23322, it's got the Navitimer look (with the proper subdial layout, not the asymmetrical one in your picture) but it's missing the wow factor of the 01 movement and the applied logo.
le_baron is offline   Reply With Quote