The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 June 2015, 12:47 AM   #31
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
OUCH! I suppose you can really treat it as a daily watch now... it looks more macho with the scar
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 08:29 AM   #32
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Ouch - that's why AP need to get some ceramic bezels on the 42mm ROOs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 June 2015, 02:27 PM   #33
grnman
"TRF" Member

Watch: watch what?
There was always scratches on there way with the 26740. I would of loved to get one as a daily, but had to get the 44mm RG for...... well you know why.
grnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 08:51 PM   #34
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
How do people deal with this?

It needs a ceramic coating that would significantly reduce the ease of scratching the surface.

Now THAT is a business idea! 💰💰💰
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 08:52 PM   #35
Banned

Scratches

I have to admit I don't understand the idea that if the scratch is buffed out everything is fine. To remove the visible scratch they remove an entire layer of metal so that the surface is even with the scratch which in my opinion "damages" the watch even more than the original scratch

I may not be able to see the repair that removed a whole layer of metal but I'll know it was done and the watch is no longer in like new condition. We have all seen over polished vintage Rolex watches so we know what polishing does, it wears down the watch. Does thinking this way mean I am actually more OCD than a normal ocd wis?

So to the OP your watch isn't perfect and will never been in as new condition so as for how to deal with it, frankly I would sell it to someone who doesn't care about scratches then buy a new one
390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 09:44 PM   #36
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390 View Post
I have to admit I don't understand the idea that if the scratch is buffed out everything is fine. To remove the visible scratch they remove an entire layer of metal so that the surface is even with the scratch which in my opinion "damages" the watch even more than the original scratch

I may not be able to see the repair that removed a whole layer of metal but I'll know it was done and the watch is no longer in like new condition. We have all seen over polished vintage Rolex watches so we know what polishing does, it wears down the watch. Does thinking this way mean I am actually more OCD than a normal ocd wis?

So to the OP your watch isn't perfect and will never been in as new condition so as for how to deal with it, frankly I would sell it to someone who doesn't care about scratches then buy a new one
AP can expertly polish your watch 4/5 times without any damage to the integrity of the shape or lines. I would only have AP do this and if I had a gold AP or PP I would plan for a polish every year if you are a bit OCD as these beautifully brushed pieces do need more attention to maintain their immaculacy than SS watches imho.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 10:40 PM   #37
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I think we all prefer them looking minty fresh but it's bound to happen with APs SS and PM bezels.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2015, 11:22 PM   #38
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

"How do people deal with this?"

Although I understand and sympathise, it's not really that bad. It can and will be fixed, soon enough.

Things like this annoy me too, but I usually find the best solution to these niggling little irritations is when a proper problem comes along!

A health issue will put it in perspective, for example.
Old 9 June 2015, 11:24 PM   #39
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I really don't like blemishes. From scratches on my shoe heels, loose button threads and scratches on my watches. I just throw them away in disgust.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 04:05 AM   #40
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
its ruined ,,,, just put it in the original packaging , and ship it to me ,,,, ill wear it on your behalf...

as above , wear it and enjoy it , next service it will be back like new... enjoy.
Yeah me too, if it's gonna spoil your life might as well let it spoil mine, I mean mine is already spoiled with 3 or 4 hairlines on my 5712 bezel so I don't think it can be worse than it already is

That's why my next piece is gonna be a full ceramic, at least with my lifestyle there's almost no chance it would be scratched or chipped

The problem with ceramic is if you break the case, but the only thing which could put me in such a situate would be a motorcycle accident, and I always wear a leather jacket so also few chances of it happening...

Ok to be more serious, I get you man but that happens, just don't worry, there will be more, you can always get it fixed when you send it for service, to be honest it's hardly visible, didn't see it on the first pic, the ones I have are also hardly visible, so the 1st got on my nerves but now I don't care, good luck and don't worry
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 04:19 AM   #41
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390 View Post

Yes you are more ocd than the average wis.
Old 10 June 2015, 04:43 AM   #42
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Ouch
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 04:44 AM   #43
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I for one am against polishing as they remove a layer of metal, of course if the bezel is really damaged ok, but wouldn't do it for hairlines...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 05:08 AM   #44
111forza
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch It is annoying when this happens and if like me every time you wear it all you'll see is the scratch I wouldn't have it polished out yet I'd probably live with it and wait until I've picked up a few more then send it in
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 07:10 PM   #45
Wristmaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching U
Oh noo.. Not on the bezel.. Thats the risk of going out with such beauties.. But would you rather let it sits pretty back home?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wristmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 01:48 PM   #46
.db
"TRF" Member

Ugh… I know the pain. No other words than, "it sucks".
.db is offline   Reply With Quote