The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2020, 06:18 AM   #1
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Service Question

So my 5164a just got back from warranty service, just stopped around the holidays at about 1.5 years of ownership. Happy with the turnaround time but surprised to see that PP did not disclose what exactly failed which caused the movement to stop. Is this normal? Any way of finding out what did fail? It was sent out from my AD, we opened and cut the plastic there and only thing on the receipt is "warranty service, movement adjusted and regulated" or something to that effect.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #2
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Same here. When my Pateks were sent to HSWA for service through my AD, there were no explanation of what failed. I guess you can call HSWA directly.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:59 AM   #3
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Really hoping Patek extends the standard warranty from 2 years to 5 years like Audemars Piguet does on most their timepieces when you register your timepiece.
np2016 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:03 AM   #4
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Same here. When my Pateks were sent to HSWA for service through my AD, there were no explanation of what failed. I guess you can call HSWA directly.
Very unfortunate. Would be nice to know what exactly failed and I do find it a bit odd and secretive that they would not just detail the service on the receipt. Good part of it all however is that now I have another 2 years of warranty!
Old 19 February 2020, 08:07 AM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This is so common for watches. I’ve had the same at Patek, Rolex, panerai. Doesn’t make it right though
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:09 AM   #6
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
This is so common for watches. I’ve had the same at Patek, Rolex, panerai. Doesn’t make it right though
AP gives a pretty detailed service story. I have never sent a Rolex in for service, so cannot comment there.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:22 AM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Annoying and bad enough it had failed at all.

Makes me appreciate all the more that the next Patek Service Center is a 5 min bicycle ride from home. No AD or shipping involved but a knowledgeable customer service rep to work with in person.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:10 AM   #8
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
So my 5164a just got back from warranty service, just stopped around the holidays at about 1.5 years of ownership. Happy with the turnaround time but surprised to see that PP did not disclose what exactly failed which caused the movement to stop. Is this normal? Any way of finding out what did fail? It was sent out from my AD, we opened and cut the plastic there and only thing on the receipt is "warranty service, movement adjusted and regulated" or something to that effect.
What are turn around times looking like these days? My warranty is up on my naut this year and was considering sending in right before, just so I could get another couple years of warranty. I'm USA based FWIW so would be sending to HSWA
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:23 AM   #9
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

No sense sending it in if nothing is wrong, not like it would be serviced for free. Wouldn't that be nice?? Lol. Just send it in when/if you have a problem or around 5 years. You get a 2 year warranty from date of service, no sense sending it in if nothing is wrong.

Mine stopped right around the holidays. Just got it back today, so around 2 months or so. Not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19 February 2020, 11:32 AM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Very unfortunate. Would be nice to know what exactly failed and I do find it a bit odd and secretive that they would not just detail the service on the receipt. Good part of it all however is that now I have another 2 years of warranty!
Of what benefit does it serve for you to know that a tooth on a gear was out of spec, or the mainspring broke, or an automatic winding component was insufficiently lubed, thereby causing premature wear?
None of that or anything else is something you could’ve mitigated in your handling or wearing of the watch, and brands could easily cite as commercially sensitive for reason to not disclose anything.
As far as they’re concerned, it’s been rectified, checked, and you’re covered for another period of time in the event it or something else unrelated may occur again.
I get the “just curious” aspect, but don’t be dismayed if they choose not to divulge what went wrong, as I don’t believe there’s a legal obligation for them to do so, and they can spin you a yarn should you press them, but you’ll still be none the wiser in reality.

Quote:
AP gives a pretty detailed service story.
Not when it comes to the ROOCs – more often than not they simply cite lubrication dried up, which is wholly incorrect, but serves to placate the masses who are completely ignorant about the synthetic lubes used for the past decade at least.
They may list all the steps they took, and which parts they may’ve changed (already factored into the service cost) whether strictly needed or not.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:27 PM   #11
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Of what benefit does it serve for you to know that a tooth on a gear was out of spec, or the mainspring broke, or an automatic winding component was insufficiently lubed, thereby causing premature wear?

None of that or anything else is something you could’ve mitigated in your handling or wearing of the watch, and brands could easily cite as commercially sensitive for reason to not disclose anything.

As far as they’re concerned, it’s been rectified, checked, and you’re covered for another period of time in the event it or something else unrelated may occur again.

I get the “just curious” aspect, but don’t be dismayed if they choose not to divulge what went wrong, as I don’t believe there’s a legal obligation for them to do so, and they can spin you a yarn should you press them, but you’ll still be none the wiser in reality.

Not when it comes to the ROOCs – more often than not they simply cite lubrication dried up, which is wholly incorrect, but serves to placate the masses who are completely ignorant about the synthetic lubes used for the past decade at least.

They may list all the steps they took, and which parts they may’ve changed (already factored into the service cost) whether strictly needed or not.

More for just knowing. So if it becomes a repeat issue, I know it's something that needs to be addressed. Or if we see a pattern of certain failures in the community, we know. But my guess is they do not share this for that exact reason, which is disappointing.

I have had 2 ROO's serviced, both had issues, and both had detailed explanations on what was replaced, repaired, etc. I would have expected the same with PP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to throw a hissy fit here. I'm happy it's back and fixed. My first real maintenance experience with PP and very fast turnaround, not complaining. Just curious if this was standard protocol for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19 February 2020, 03:34 PM   #12
Commonproject
Banned

Rolex gives detail on what was wrong/exact parts replaced
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:49 PM   #13
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Rolex does not tell you anything other than the problem was fixed, WHEN sent under warranty work ! Now if the watch is sent in for work not under warranty they will list what they did! U.S that is.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:21 PM   #14
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
What are turn around times looking like these days? My warranty is up on my naut this year and was considering sending in right before, just so I could get another couple years of warranty. I'm USA based FWIW so would be sending to HSWA
You don’t get a new warranty with a repair that is already being done under warranty. Unless there is something noticeably wrong there’s no point.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:25 PM   #15
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Generally speaking there is no orchestrated attempt to keep information from the customer, it’s simply down to reducing admin. Watchmakers have a lot of repairs to do. If every repair also included a technical report (even a short one) that adds up to a lot of lost bench time.

If you want details in future, specify that on the cover letter that goes with the watch. Most service centres will oblige such requests.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:08 AM   #16
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Generally speaking there is no orchestrated attempt to keep information from the customer, it’s simply down to reducing admin. Watchmakers have a lot of repairs to do. If every repair also included a technical report (even a short one) that adds up to a lot of lost bench time.

If you want details in future, specify that on the cover letter that goes with the watch. Most service centres will oblige such requests.
This makes some sense. And I would not expect some sort of thorough and detailed report, just a simple line items of what was broken/replaced/repaired. But I do understand what you are saying, just would assume a watch of this caliber would warrant the manufacturer going that extra mile to offer some more color into why the watch failed, especially while under warranty.
Old 20 February 2020, 03:00 AM   #17
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Im really happy its back!

Old 20 February 2020, 03:14 AM   #18
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:

How long did it take to get it back? I sent my 5711 in (a beater) in October and I still have not gotten it back (4 months already!)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:15 AM   #19
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
How long did it take to get it back? I sent my 5711 in (a beater) in October and I still have not gotten it back (4 months already!)
Right about 8 weeks.
Old 20 February 2020, 11:50 AM   #20
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Awesome! I'll be joining you in a couple of weeks!
Old 20 February 2020, 01:18 PM   #21
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Did you send it in with blue strap and they didn’t care
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:30 PM   #22
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The same thing happened to me so I sent an email to PP Facilities in Barcelona asking for an explanation about the technical failure found on the watch. They sent me a detailed letter indicating the problem occurred, the work done and the parts replaced. They also added a nice leather case as a gift. First class attention.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 06:26 AM   #23
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
Rolex does not tell you anything other than the problem was fixed, WHEN sent under warranty work ! Now if the watch is sent in for work not under warranty they will list what they did! U.S that is.
They did for me when it was under warranty. When I picked it up from the service center they read to me from a piece of paper exactly what was done/replaced.
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 06:54 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
One thing I would mention is not to send in under warranty through the dealer. That makes the dealer the client and the manufacturer will only talk to them. Send it yourself and you can talk directly to the service representative who will usually explain exactly what was wrong and what was done. What they said was done here covers a lot of problematic ground.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote