The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2020, 02:58 PM   #1
roeezion
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP, RLX
Steel vs Gold Aquanauts

Recently got into a debate with a friend of mine on the market prices and what the future may hold for steel vs gold aquanauts. No one can know for sure but wanted to hear your opinions. Buying the steel aquanaut be it the 5167a or 5164a at approx double retail, would you say this is a safe buy in terms of holding value or potentially appreciating? Or would you say that buying a 5167r or 5164r at a much closer price to retail in comparison to the steel pieces is the safer bet in terms of holding value or appreciating?

My friend made the point that due to the demand of the steel pieces that going with the steel is the way to go and they should hold (being that i can buy at a good price.) Or would you say that because of that massive gap from MSRP to market prices that it is questionable what the future will hold and that actually the smaller gap between MSRP and market prices on the gold pieces is the safer bet?

Let me know your opinions!
roeezion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:31 PM   #2
jeorge
"TRF" Member

But a watch to enjoy wearing nothing else !
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:08 PM   #3
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I understand these posts but in reality no one knows. Ask people like me how many of us foresaw this current market when we passed on readily available pre-owned 5980s for under $40k USD. Or me selling my two steel Daytonas for around $9-10k each. You just don’t know what the market will be like in a year, five years, or whenever. So like everyone says, but what you love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:25 PM   #4
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I understand these posts but in reality no one knows. Ask people like me how many of us foresaw this current market when we passed on readily available pre-owned 5980s for under $40k USD. Or me selling my two steel Daytonas for around $9-10k each. You just don’t know what the market will be like in a year, five years, or whenever. So like everyone says, but what you love.
This

One thing that is most likely to happen is... Future price hikes on the list price
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 10:13 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

I would have to go with what seems common sense for when the music stops.
Gold is always worth more, even from an intrinsic standpoint. So in the event that the reference remains in production when that happens, the gold model will lose correspondingly less than the steel one, which has the potential to halve in value.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 11:41 PM   #6
Codik
"TRF" Member

Investing in watches is about the same as investing in putting it all on red. No one knows.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 11:56 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeezion View Post
Recently got into a debate with a friend of mine on the market prices and what the future may hold

Let me know your opinions!
I like my 5711

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:12 AM   #8
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good advice. I wouldn’t buy any current production steel Pateks that have a high premium.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:40 AM   #9
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I want to see more WG Aquanauts with complications.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 10:18 AM   #10
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I want to see more WG Aquanauts with complications.
Perhaps Baselworld will provide the answer.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 01:19 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would not buy a watch on what I think is the "safer bet". You really should buy what you like and will wear, otherwise, why bother at all. When watches are no longer cool, the values on all this stuff will tank big time. There really is a lot of the current models out there. Modern production is in overdrive. They are not rare as the pre-1960 stuff is nor sought after by the true collectors who buy the ultra rare and unique watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 04:50 AM   #12
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
But a watch to enjoy wearing nothing else !

This++. I was stuck in that conundrum a year ago. Did a lot of watchsoul searching and found my sweet spot to buy the things I love. Finance is important and I am willing to take 20% depreciation on my watches. But this thing where everyone wants the watches that will go up 100% is ridiculous, plus you really miss in exploring horology. With that perspective, I bought the 5168g blue dial (at retail) and love the white gold out of it! I know, I know that a lot of people have an issue that it is too big at 42mm. For me, it is perfect and wear it very often.

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:22 AM   #13
Muxi
"TRF" Member

In today’s environment, it is hard to differentiate whether a watch is hyped because everybody wants it, or the other way around.

I notice though that my choices for my collection are very model-specific and not open to substitution. Does that mean one or the other, I can’t really say for sure but I would like to think I am not swayed by the hype.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:47 PM   #14
roeezion
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP, RLX
Thanks for the replies guys! Just wanted to create a discussion to see alternative opinions and what you guys think.
roeezion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:39 PM   #15
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

If you like and can wear gold watches, they are the obvious value.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:46 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If the "W" in your avatar stands for Wisconsin and the little thing next to it is a Badger it might explain how we both made the same mistakes on the same watches, although I only sold one Daytona but for even less, $8K.
I loved the 5980a white dial but was holding out for low $30s. It never made it.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:08 PM   #17
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
If the "W" in your avatar stands for Wisconsin and the little thing next to it is a Badger it might explain how we both made the same mistakes on the same watches, although I only sold one Daytona but for even less, $8K.
I loved the 5980a white dial but was holding out for low $30s. It never made it.
Must be the B10 connections... I too, thought a 5980a at 38k was asking too much in the gray... Considering ADs were begging and giving out discounts for these

S`` is offline   Reply With Quote