The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 February 2020, 02:30 PM   #31
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
No inside info. But the 2018 40mm release is a red herring, IMHO.

2014 : BOC i
2016 : BOC ii
2017 : Milspec tribute
2018 : BOC iii (just happened to be a FF)
2019 : Kuda tribute

The above pattern seems to indicate BP are on an alternating cycle. A BOC on even years, and a 40mm tribute piece odd years. The FF BOC iii (while cool) isn't a tribute piece. My guess is we get nothing or a BOC iv this year. In 2021 we get a tribute (maybe a 40mm No rads).
My Blancpain boutique told me recently that it will be an ocean commitment this year, and that is the only information they can be given by headquarters at this time.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:30 PM   #32
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Pick up a new SMPc... then take the other $11,000 and plan a great diving vacation to break it in.

Alternatively, you could get the no-date titanium version and still come out ahead. These watches are a great bang-for-your-buck piece with the in-house movement and comfort.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:52 PM   #33
Nietzsche_Darko
"TRF" Member

Fifty Fathoms is awesome and I’d definitely recommend it.

The Ceramic and Titanium Seamaster 300M is killer as well.

I’ll second the new Glashütte Original SeaQ, but I do think the heritage and finishing of the Blancpain edges it slightly for me.

My final suggestion would be to take a look at the Grand Seiko SBGA229. It will likely be my next personal purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nietzsche_Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:56 PM   #34
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
The new titanium 45mm FF is a phenomenal watch. Big but very light and comfortable. The quality, finish and accuracy are all top tier. And let’s not forget, 120 hour PR, and a silicon hairspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:15 PM   #35
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Check out Grand Seiko. They have a good range of divers at great price point. Personally I went with the SBGE245 that is a diver and GMT. I really like the Sapphire magic fully lumed bezel the deep mahogany dial is amazing then throw in Spring Drive with that beautiful sweeping second hand and I was saying "take my money"! At 6k it is a steal if you can find one of the 600 made.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:05 PM   #36
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Strange nobody mentions about SLA017 & SLA033 . These are the bes divers coming after the Submariner imho.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 08:43 PM   #37
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

How has no-one mentioned the Grand Seiko Spring Drive divers?

You could have two within your budget...

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:35 AM   #38
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitadine View Post
I used to like the Fifty Fathoms, but when I saw them at an AD, I found them very weak. The 45mm far too big and chunky, like an icehokey puck. The 40mm like a toy, could not feel the quality.
I‘d suggest Omega Seamaster 300, Diver 300 and Planet Ocean.
Tudor Black Bay and Pelagos are solid.
BUT: my favorite would be the Glashütte Original Sea Q!
So, you found the 45 x 15.50mm Blancpain FF to be like a “hockey puck”, but your favourite is the 43 x 15.65mm thick GO Sea Q?
Can someone get in touch with the OED? It seems they may be in need of updating their definition of irony.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:38 AM   #39
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_afficionado View Post
Check out Grand Seiko. They have a good range of divers at great price point. Personally I went with the SBGE245 that is a diver and GMT. I really like the Sapphire magic fully lumed bezel the deep mahogany dial is amazing then throw in Spring Drive with that beautiful sweeping second hand and I was saying "take my money"! At 6k it is a steal if you can find one of the 600 made.
It’s not a dive watch, it’s purely a GMT.
Old 25 February 2020, 03:42 AM   #40
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
The Blancpain is beautiful to be sure but I like the idea of an Omega Seamaster and pocketing the difference.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:18 AM   #41
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
So, you found the 45 x 15.50mm Blancpain FF to be like a “hockey puck”, but your favourite is the 43 x 15.65mm thick GO Sea Q?
Can someone get in touch with the OED? It seems they may be in need of updating their definition of irony.

The Blancpain has a completely different shape, and 45mm vs. 43mm IS also a difference - no irony. Wear your Blancpain in good health, but for me it‘s not fitting well and that’s why I won’t ever buy one. I appreciate it‘s historical importance and it‘s high quality, but I simply don’t like it’s design and how it sits on the wrist.
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:58 AM   #42
PJ S
Banned

Have yet to see the Sea Q, although not particularly enamoured with the design compared to the discontinued Sport Evos, but the idea that the FF is more of a puck than the GO is ironic.
They’re both thick and the FF is known to wear smaller due to the stubby lugs.
I’m surprised you felt the OC III (or Barakuda) were devoid of any way for you to appreciate the quality of what was on offer, as there’s essentially no difference to the way they’re put together than that of the regular 45mm versions.
No matter, each to their own… and all that.
Old 25 February 2020, 08:21 AM   #43
vitadine
"TRF" Member

Sub $15K divers (other than Rolex)

Quote:
Have yet to see the Sea Q, although not particularly enamoured with the design compared to the discontinued Sport Evos, but the idea that the FF is more of a puck than the GO is ironic.
They’re both thick and the FF is known to wear smaller due to the stubby lugs.
I’m surprised you felt the OC III (or Barakuda) were devoid of any way for you to appreciate the quality of what was on offer, as there’s essentially no difference to the way they’re put together than that of the regular 45mm versions.
No matter, each to their own… and all that.

I simply like my SeaDweller 4000 (116600) and my Sub LV better as a 40mm diver. The Barakuda was too „faux“ vintage for my taste.
I don’t know how to describe it better.
Simply not my cup of tea when I saw it in the flesh. You‘re right, each to their own.
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 08:26 AM   #44
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Another vote for Blancpain. This replaced my Sea Dweller and I couldn't be happier - quality of finish and attention to detail is totally next level over the Rolex and a good deal IMO in this price range. I haven't seen the GO in person, I suspect that might give the Blancpain a run for its money, but there isn't a diver of comparable finish to the 50 Fathoms until you get into an AP diver and even then I would say the AP isn't of a higher level of finish, just different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190520_170335~2-small.jpg (286.8 KB, 231 views)
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 08:32 AM   #45
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Beautiful shots! If I was buying a dive watch today this would be my choice, hands down. If there was a titanium bracelet option it would be so killer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
The new titanium 45mm FF is a phenomenal watch. Big but very light and comfortable. The quality, finish and accuracy are all top tier. And let’s not forget, 120 hour PR, and a silicon hairspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 08:36 AM   #46
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I simply like my SeaDweller 4000 (116600) and my Sub LV better as a 40mm diver. The Barakuda was too dressy, too shiny, too „faux“ vintage.
I don’t know how to describe it better.
Simply not my cup of tea when I saw it in flesh.
You are conflating two types of responses on why you don't like the Fifty Fathoms, causing this confusion.

A subjective reason, meaning it is not rooted in quantifiable fact but instead your opinion, is completely fine. It "not being your cup of tea" or it's too "faux" for you are valid and can not be debated as they are just your tastes.
The issue myself and PJ are finding with your responses are the objective ones. You stating the quality is worse than an Omega 300 or a GO Sea Q is a fallacy. You having issue with the size of a Fifty Fathoms but then suggesting a watch of similar proportions is not defendable. Quality and size are measurable, and the Fifty Fathoms is a higher quality watch and has similar dimensions to the Sea Q. There is no debate.

It's clear you don't like the Fifty Fathoms at all. But there is no need to embellish on the reasons.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:04 AM   #47
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Update:

Been calling around Boutiques and ADs today looking for a Barakuda. Boutique was very nice about it but said they're fairly certain they won't get any more and that they honestly don't know if a 40 mm LE is the works for 2020. ADs said the Barakuda was mostly ordered for people and that they have tried and can no longer order them.

Also watched an interview with Marc Hayek on youtube. He says the 40 mm are reserved for LE pieces, which is a bit unfortunate. I could prob pull off the 45 mm FF but honestly I like 40 mm FF so much I think I'd be settling. Ah well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:59 AM   #48
PJ S
Banned

^
https://www.chrono24.com/blancpain/f...id14248095.htm

Pity it’s not a complete package with original box and papers, but these LEs were THE one to keep an eye out for.
With no others available, might be hard to swing any appreciable discount based on the missing items.
Old 25 February 2020, 10:09 AM   #49
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'm looking to ad another diver to the mix myself and keep going back to this one. In fact I went back today for a second look. I have been looking around for a while and I'm now pretty much convinced the Planet Ocean is going to be hard to top at any price, especially anything in the sub 10k price range..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:23 AM   #50
PJ S
Banned

^
I’ll see your PO, and raise you a BP FF Trilogy 2200…

https://www.chrono24.com/blancpain/s...id13923462.htm
Old 25 February 2020, 11:03 AM   #51
Dirty John
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
UN makes some killer divers, the newest diver chronometer especially

I love that UN diver. Going to look that up right now.
Dirty John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:15 AM   #52
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Check Oris! Like the Seamasters and Planet Oceans.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:42 PM   #53
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I have one of these incoming. A friend rates it as “the best diver ever”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:27 PM   #54
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:
It’s not a dive watch, it’s purely a GMT.
With a 20bar rating sure you can dive with it...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:00 PM   #55
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I used to like the Fifty Fathoms, but when I saw them at an AD, I found them very weak. The 45mm far too big and chunky, like an icehokey puck. The 40mm like a toy, could not feel the quality.
I‘d suggest Omega Seamaster 300, Diver 300 and Planet Ocean.
Tudor Black Bay and Pelagos are solid.
BUT: my favorite would be the Glashütte Original Sea Q!

Juts got the black dial with Textil strap -what a stunning piece - defiantly after owning the Deepsea blue, SD43, sub and Blancpain FF - I can freely say - this is the best high end diver in the market - there is nothing else in that class
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:00 PM   #56
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Juts got the black dial with Textil strap -what a stunning piece - defiantly after owning the Deepsea blue, SD43, sub and Blancpain FF - I can freely say - this is the best high end diver in the market - there is nothing else in that class
Old 25 February 2020, 03:09 PM   #57
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
You are conflating two types of responses on why you don't like the Fifty Fathoms, causing this confusion.

A subjective reason, meaning it is not rooted in quantifiable fact but instead your opinion, is completely fine. It "not being your cup of tea" or it's too "faux" for you are valid and can not be debated as they are just your tastes.
The issue myself and PJ are finding with your responses are the objective ones. You stating the quality is worse than an Omega 300 or a GO Sea Q is a fallacy. You having issue with the size of a Fifty Fathoms but then suggesting a watch of similar proportions is not defendable. Quality and size are measurable, and the Fifty Fathoms is a higher quality watch and has similar dimensions to the Sea Q. There is no debate.

It's clear you don't like the Fifty Fathoms at all. But there is no need to embellish on the reasons.
I had the choice to get either the Blancpain Barakuda or the GO SeaQ Panorama Datum and after having both on my wrist - I decided for the GO as (for my point of view) its the best high end diver you can find at the moment. The movement is amazing and super accurate (there are videos on YouTube which shows the test which these watches go though (impressive)

It fits more like the SD43 (the Blancpain FF was too chunky for me) and the Panorama Datum is juts such of gorgeous design.

The Blancpain Barakuda is a terrific piece as well, I just felt in love with the SeaQ black dial and that’s what I went for ...

Besides that - the movement on the GO won an award as well for its technology and performance. It’s a German machine
Old 25 February 2020, 03:12 PM   #58
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

31B842C9-019D-4CC5-B4A4-90E0F99F73AF.jpeg
Old 25 February 2020, 03:13 PM   #59
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

AAA0AFC9-5A31-4BD2-A3CA-11AE6C5A45EE.jpeg
Old 25 February 2020, 04:16 PM   #60
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
I had the choice to get either the Blancpain Barakuda or the GO SeaQ Panorama Datum and after having both on my wrist - I decided for the GO as (for my point of view) its the best high end diver you can find at the moment. The movement is amazing and super accurate (there are videos on YouTube which shows the test which these watches go though (impressive)

It fits more like the SD43 (the Blancpain FF was too chunky for me) and the Panorama Datum is juts such of gorgeous design.

The Blancpain Barakuda is a terrific piece as well, I just felt in love with the SeaQ black dial and that’s what I went for ...

Besides that - the movement on the GO won an award as well for its technology and performance. It’s a German machine
A 40mm Fifty Fathoms: 40mm x 13.2
SeaQ: 43.2mm x 15.6mm

Despite the *much* smaller size, the BP has the same water resistance (30 bar) and same power reserve (4 days). The movement and case finishing are also superior on the BP. But, I certainly can't deny the GO is a German machine....

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote