The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

IWC Portugueser 8 Day Hand Wound 150 Years

https://youtu.be/7h4V1VvgxWE

Just discovered this watch while browsing my local AD the other day and was a bit shocked to find one still around. Have always liked this model but never took it too seriously because I assumed it was sold out.

Any one have one of these? Any general consensus on why it could still be sitting in a display after 2 years?
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 11:38 AM   #2
boskomtl
"TRF" Member

Well... it’s a nice watch and I don’t know how limited that particular jubilee model was/is... But, I used to own a 150 yr LE IWC Portofino, if I recall it was one of 2000... now you might think “limited edition” so must be super rare, but 2,000 is actually a LOT of watches for an LE (when you consider some brands put out barely 5k total watches per year!) ... so even though the LE Portofino sold out at ADs, it wasn’t/isn’t particularly rare at all. Again, not exactly sure how many they made of the particular model you are referring to, but I’m not surprised that ADs haven’t sold out yet.

Another thing about the IWC 150yrs edition watches... while I really liked the Portofino 150yrs due to its lacquered white dial which just popped more than the non-LE version of the same, I wasn’t as much of a fan of the 150yr Portugueiser chronograph ... i recall it has what appear to be printed numerals on the dial... I find the regular edition much nicer.

Your mileage may vary, as they say - no real surprise you saw that watch at your AD though.
boskomtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boskomtl View Post
Well... it’s a nice watch and I don’t know how limited that particular jubilee model was/is... But, I used to own a 150 yr LE IWC Portofino, if I recall it was one of 2000... now you might think “limited edition” so must be super rare, but 2,000 is actually a LOT of watches for an LE (when you consider some brands put out barely 5k total watches per year!) ... so even though the LE Portofino sold out at ADs, it wasn’t/isn’t particularly rare at all. Again, not exactly sure how many they made of the particular model you are referring to, but I’m not surprised that ADs haven’t sold out yet.

Another thing about the IWC 150yrs edition watches... while I really liked the Portofino 150yrs due to its lacquered white dial which just popped more than the non-LE version of the same, I wasn’t as much of a fan of the 150yr Portugueiser chronograph ... i recall it has what appear to be printed numerals on the dial... I find the regular edition much nicer.

Your mileage may vary, as they say - no real surprise you saw that watch at your AD though.
It's limited to 1000 pieces so maybe you are right that it's not really that 'limited' other than that they just are constantly making more of them. No clue how many watches IWC makes a year. Just thought it was interesting to find one and now I'm really contemplating purchasing it if I can get a nice enough deal.

It is significantly slimmer than the stander 7 day portugueser and the hand wound movement is a huge plus to me as I really enjoy the practice of winding the watch. My only hesitation is that I know the watch would have looked better without a date or even if they had put the date at 6 in the sub seconds.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:30 PM   #4
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

every dealer in singapore has one of these, ive seen 3-4 while the chronographs were all sold out a while ago (and look a lot better in person). hodinkee did a feature video on it and i really liked the concept and wanted to like it/buy it but the blued hands usually look black (so looks a very monochrome, boring watch with too much white space) and above all the date window is god awful, so cheap looking. maybe youd like the FA Jones edition better ?
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I've seen these in a number of dealers recently so they're not exactly rare. I like the watch but the date ruins it for me.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 05:29 PM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

I like the look and actually prefer a date on my daily drivers. What I don't like is the size of the 150 years version at 43.2mm x 12.3mm. Portugiesers have always been large (except for the little 3531) but this is one fat piece for a simple hand wound strap watch.

I'd rather take a look at the 125 years Portugieser 5441. It has the prettier movement and is slimmer at 42mm x 9.8mm. As the first modern Portugieser it has gained iconic status and will always be loved. In contrast the 150 years version is just another one of gazillions of limited editions of post-Richemont IWC.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote