The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Papanas
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sunset Blues
Blue TT Submariner or Sea Dweller 43

Hello everyone!

This is my first thread as I’ve recently joined
TRF after lurking a little while. I’ve always been
a Rolex fan and want to get some of your input .
Looking to join in, contribute if possible and learn
as much as I can .

I’m Looking for a daily and love the blue TT submariner
but also like the look of the sea dweller 43 , the new one .
For a daily which would you chose and why ?
I like the look of the blue TT sub and the flash factor is not
a problem for me . Also I’ve never seen the SD 43 in the flesh
so I’m a little leery on the size and if it’s comfortable as
a daily ? I’m about a 6.75 wrist I believe.
Eventually I’d like to get both or at least the TT Sub and
another SS professional model .
Anyways, I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions you
all may have ...

Thank you !
Papanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 07:46 AM   #2
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
This is all very personal. What others here like means nothing, really. You'd have to try on the SD 43 to see if it sings to you, but I can say with a 6.3" wrist that I found it to be a bit large for me. I could pull it off, but the Sub is the sweet spot. The Bluesy (as we call the TT Sub in Blue) would probably be perfect on you. It has that beautiful blue, it has the depth rating, it has the style you like, and it's the one you might be able to actually find these days. I've only ever seen one SD 43 in person, and I wouldn't trade it for a Sub. It's unneeded overkill for me. I think if my wrist was 7.25" or above, the SD 43 would be the right fit rather than the Sub. Keep looking, your heart will tell you the answer.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:47 AM   #3
Xerxes77
Banned

Sub
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:50 AM   #4
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
For a daily I’d go with the Sub....the SD43, for me at least, was just a bit too much for a daily watch. I rocked it for a year but ended up trading it in for a 40mm GMT which for my wrist (7.25 in) is more comfortable for a daily. If an a collection though, SD43 in a heartbeat.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:55 AM   #5
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Blue Sub for me. Love the Bluesy!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:58 AM   #6
campfire
"TRF" Member

Perhaps the Sub. The SD43 at least for me would be hard to make a daily. That's me though.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:04 AM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

This really is a personal choice. I would get on better with a Sub Date than a SD. The latter looks and feels rather top heavy on my stick wrist. I particularly like the 116613LB. It's a beauty and not particularly flashy. My Z-Blue has more bling.

So much for me. I don't know about you. I guess it's a nice problem to have. You can't lose really.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

I have both and love them equally. I have a 7 inch wrist and neither is too big nor too small. Sometimes flash is good, and sometimes you want minimal to no flash. If it's your first Rolex purchase, definitely get the Bluesy.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:24 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sub would be my choice for a daily wearer, but I’d go with the SS version for that as I find the TT a bit much.

I’d go bluesy or SD43 as a weekend wearer
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:48 AM   #10
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Hi & welcome to the Forum.

As an owner of the SD43 & a former Bluesy owner, I’ll chip in.

The first thing I would say is you really NEED to try both these pieces on before committing to either one.

Not easy I know as neither piece is readily available to view at an AD, although the Bluesy would probably be easier to source than the SD43.

The Bluesy is a spectacular piece & looks way better in the flesh than it does in pictures.

I know you say the ‘bling’ factor doesn’t bother you, but for a daily wearer just be aware that this piece does attract attention.

It literally glints in the sunlight, & sparkles under artificial light, so it’s unavoidable that people wont notice it.

This is fine if your having a nice meal in a fancy restaurant, not so great if your walking past a group of hoodies as you inadvertently find yourself in the wrong part of town.

This is ultimately why I parted company with mine. As much as I loved it, I wasn’t wearing it nearly enough as it deserved as I was always very conscious it was on my wrist so had to pick & choose very carefully when & where I wore it.

The SD43 is completely different.

It’s a big chunky watch with a lot of heft and wrist presence.

It can feel quite heavy at times, especially when you first get it & aren’t used to wearing such a big watch.

As a daily wearer I would say the SD is the most practical of the 2, although from a personal point of view, I don’t find it the most comfortable for all day use.

Fine for short periods & weekends etc, but not for all day, every day.

That’s just my personal experience, there will be guys on here that give you a completely different spin on it & will tell you the SD is the best thing since sliced bread & wouldn’t wear anything else as a daily.

Like I say, you really need to see both pieces, try them on & then decide which ones best for you.

Personally, I would consider a regular Submariner 116610LN as a more comfortable alternative to the SD especially as you say you have 6 3/4” wrists - mine are 7 1/4” & I find the SD to be a little on the large side.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt & report back when you make your mind up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:50 AM   #11
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Hi & welcome to the Forum.

As an owner of the SD43 & a former Bluesy owner, I’ll chip in.

The first thing I would say is you really NEED to try both these pieces on before committing to either one.

Not easy I know as neither piece is readily available to view at an AD, although the Bluesy would probably be easier to source than the SD43.

The Bluesy is a spectacular piece & looks way better in the flesh than it does in pictures.

I know you say the ‘bling’ factor doesn’t bother you, but for a daily wearer just be aware that this piece does attract attention.

It literally glints in the sunlight, & sparkles under artificial light, so it’s unavoidable that people wont notice it.

This is fine if your having a nice meal in a fancy restaurant, not so great if your walking past a group of hoodies as you inadvertently find yourself in the wrong part of town.

This is ultimately why I parted company with mine. As much as I loved it, I wasn’t wearing it nearly enough as it deserved as I was always very conscious it was on my wrist so had to pick & choose very carefully when & where I wore it.

The SD43 is completely different.

It’s a big chunky watch with a lot of heft and wrist presence.

It can feel quite heavy at times, especially when you first get it & aren’t used to wearing such a big watch.

As a daily wearer I would say the SD is the most practical of the 2, although from a personal point of view, I don’t find it the most comfortable for all day use.

Fine for short periods & weekends etc, but not for all day, every day.

That’s just my personal experience, there will be guys on here that give you a completely different spin on it & will tell you the SD is the best thing since sliced bread & wouldn’t wear anything else as a daily.

Like I say, you really need to see both pieces, try them on & then decide which ones best for you.

Personally, I would consider a regular Submariner 116610LN as a more comfortable alternative to the SD especially as you say you have 6 3/4” wrists - mine are 7 1/4” & I find the SD to be a little on the large side.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt & report back when you make your mind up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well done.
going with the bluesy myself
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:53 AM   #12
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: RG Day-Date
SD43 all day. I have the sub as well, black face and it’s a beauty but I reach for my SD43 on the regular.
Socal Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 09:57 AM   #13
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have the Bluesy and like it. I also have tried on the SD43 and I found it big for my 6.5 inch wrist. You really have to try both on to get a good idea. Between the pandemic and the Rolex “shortage,” easier said than done.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 10:02 AM   #14
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Welcome to Trf. Get the Bluesy. Just from the way you described it, you more fond of it than the SD. I love my TT Sub (black dial) its so versatile. It dresses up or down with ease. Happy hunting.
Old 21 April 2020, 10:13 AM   #15
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
My thinking is, see if you can try them on. Then just get one you like best. Right now, it sounds like you want the Bluesy most. That was the case for me. I just love the watch, plain and simple. I've never gotten sick of it even when I've worn it every day of the week.

SD43 also seems like a terrific reference, though, so I don't think you can go wrong here going with whichever one you end up liking more.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:21 AM   #16
nick800
"TRF" Member

Sub. Have/have had both
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 11:47 AM   #17
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Personally, the SD43 - but you'll really need to try them to be certain.
Old 22 April 2020, 03:42 AM   #18
Papanas
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sunset Blues
Thank you all for your kind remarks and comments so far .
Papanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 03:51 AM   #19
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Both great pieces and can't miss. Before the TT was released I was seriously considering a bluesy as I am lacking a dive/water/beach watch in the collection but when the TT Seadweller was introduced I switched. Personally I think the SD is a step up. Either way can't miss, both are fantastic pieces. I would also recommend trying on a SD, 43 is a bit large for some. I have 7" wrist and found it most comfortable.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote