The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 13 January 2010, 04:02 AM   #121
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

The days that you could pick up original Monet , Manet , Van Gogh and the occasional Da Vinci in the local jumble sale are over .[/QUOTE]

I wonder why?
Old 13 January 2010, 04:06 AM   #122
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick09 View Post
The days that you could pick up original Monet , Manet , Van Gogh and the occasional Da Vinci in the local jumble sale are over .
I wonder why?[/QUOTE]
Every one has access to the net nowadays !
Old 13 January 2010, 04:33 AM   #123
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
If it were my watch and they told me it was a replica, I would have pitched a tent and camped there until I talked with the manager. Then I would have contacted NYC. If I didn't make any progress with them, I would have sent the watch to Geneva. Seriously, I would have.
Now I'm at your stage.. I'm pissed... I went to put on a nato and guess what... They put a spring bar on that was not the one that was on the watch when I came in. It is a two stage on one side and thinner... Waiting for a call from the manager. They better make this right... Can you say
Old 13 January 2010, 05:02 AM   #124
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
I wonder why?
Every one has access to the net nowadays ![/QUOTE]

Yes they do don't they, but that's not the answer I was looking for.I'm sure if you think about it it will come to you.
Old 13 January 2010, 09:17 AM   #125
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by haitek View Post
Hey again!

The serial number is 172xxxx.
I won't take the back off it because I don't have the tool to do it.

Regards,
Abi Nathan
I found this information on "another" website. It talks about the proper dial in relation to the serial number.

The best available estimate for the chronological sequence of Double Red Sea-Dweller dials fonts (or “Marks”) by case serial # is this one from a post authored by Marcello Pisani:

a) Mark I: from 1,600,000 to around 2.2 mil (only with “Patent Pending” back)
b) Mark II: from 1,600,000 to around 3.1 mil either “Patent Pending” or not (in other words, for cases with only the last 3 digits engraved in the inside of the back)
c) Mark III: from 2.2mil to around 4.1mil.
d) Mark IV: from 3.1mil to end of Double Red dial production, ca. 5.1mil (with word "ROLEX" straight on the outside of the back)

Please take note of the considerable overlap between the styles of the dials & the production periods:

“DRSD case numbers were always engraved "in batches" (for example one finds 3.1mil then 3.5mil then 4.0mil and not 3.1-3.2-3.3 and so on). This means that after 1972 they put what they had "in stock" at the moment...So, for example, you can see in the 3.1mil cases either Mk II, Mk III or IV dials."

Its hard to tell from your photo, but to me it can't be a Mark I or Mark II. The "D" in "Dweller" is over the "R" in "Submariner". The D should be farther to the right if its a Mark I or Mark II.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000307.JPG (39.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg mark1closeup.jpg (45.0 KB, 206 views)
Old 13 January 2010, 09:27 AM   #126
haitek

Watch: Citizen quartz ;-)
Drsd

Thanks for that DadsWatch72. The more info I have the better. I've been considering offers for the last two days. I never realised it was such a complex issue or that the watch was so desireable. I'm learning fast
Old 13 January 2010, 09:34 AM   #127
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that DadsWatch72. The more info I have the better. I've been considering offers for the last two days. I never realised it was such a complex issue or that the watch was so desireable. I'm learning fast
Can you take more close up pictures of the dial? And caseback if possible. If the close up pictures turn out to confirm its a correct and good condition dial, then you will be flooded with offers IMO.
Old 13 January 2010, 09:41 AM   #128
haitek

Drsd

Hey DadsWatch72!
I could send you the original pictures of the watch dial and back which are about 2Mb each in size. These are of higher resolution. If you send me your email address I will do so......................a

Quote:
Can you take more close up pictures of the dial? And caseback if possible.
Old 13 January 2010, 09:54 AM   #129
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Hey DadsWatch72!
I could send you the original pictures of the watch dial and back which are about 2Mb each in size. These are of higher resolution. If you send me your email address I will do so......................a
If you can't post them here, you could post them on your My Space or Facebook. Or perhaps you can resize them for this forum. Its not very difficult to do.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:08 AM   #130
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Hey DadsWatch72!
You can also mail them to my mail, at andreas AT sufnet DOT fi and I'll resize them, and post them here.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:26 AM   #131
haitek

Hey DadsWatch72!

I did resize them and uploaded them for this forum that's why they were smaller

Quote:
If you can't post them here, you could post them on your My Space or Facebook. Or perhaps you can resize them for this forum. Its not very difficult to do.

Last edited by mailman; 14 February 2010 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: removed link
Old 13 January 2010, 10:30 AM   #132
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey DadsWatch72!

I did resize them and uploaded them for this forum that's why they were smaller a

Those images are very small, and they need to be bigger. If you have 2mb files with proper resolution, I'm happy to help you. No biggie, 2 minutes and the images are BOOM here. I'll give the resized pics to you for future use as smaller files.

Last edited by mailman; 14 February 2010 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: removed link
Old 13 January 2010, 10:42 AM   #133
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Did it sell?
Old 13 January 2010, 11:06 AM   #134
haitek

Drsd

Hey bayerische!

Thanks for the offer, I shall send them to your email address.
I posted the larger files to facebook but it seems to have made them smaller anyway....................a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Those images are very small, and they need to be bigger. If you have 2mb files with proper resolution, I'm happy to help you. No biggie, 2 minutes and the images are BOOM here. I'll give the resized pics to you for future use as smaller files.
Old 13 January 2010, 11:07 AM   #135
bayerische
"TRF" Member

OK, just received the pics from "haitek".

Here they are: ("haitek" please let me know if at some point you want the pictures removed and I will do so, the pictures are yours.)

Old 13 January 2010, 11:08 AM   #136
haitek

Drsd

Hey 1000ftSub!

Thanks for your question. No, it hasn't sold yet. I'm still in the negotiation phase, I'm not getting much sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000ftSub View Post
Did it sell?
Old 13 January 2010, 11:10 AM   #137
haitek

Thanks for that bayerische!!! I don't know how you did that but I'm impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
OK, just received the pics from "haitek".

Here they are: ("haitek" please let me know if at some point you want the pictures removed and I will do so, the pictures are yours.)

Old 13 January 2010, 11:14 AM   #138
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for that bayerische!!! I don't know how you did that but I'm impressed
No problem mate, glad to be of assistance. Hopefully these pics will be of help.
Old 13 January 2010, 11:24 AM   #139
DadsWatch72
Banned

It looks like a Mark III dial from what I can see. The crystal is sooo scratched its hard to see it in full detail but the picture is awsome compared to before. I am still trying to reference the serial numbers and make sense of it. To your knowledge, the dial is original?

Here is another list for serial numbers from the Double Red Sea Dweller website:

Check the dial version with the serial. The usual and these are only guidelines since Rolex collecting has no hard rules.
Mark I Dial, 1.6-2.2 mil
Mark II Dial, 1.6-3.5 mil
Mark III Dial, 2.6-3.5 to 4.0 mil
Mark IV Dial, 3.0-5.2 mil

Its generally accepted by collectors that the DRSD were produced in the 1967-1977 range with the last batch in the 5.2 mil serials. While there might be some exception to the above, this is what is currently accepted by collectors..
Old 13 January 2010, 11:30 AM   #140
haitek

Drsd

Thanks again DadsWatch72!

Yes the dial is original. Hey! I'm trying to make sense of it too. The pictures are much better, many thanks to the kind gentleman in Finland for his help.....a

Quote:
It looks like a Mark III dial from what I can see. The crystal is sooo scratched its hard to see it in full detail but the picture is awsome compared to before. I am still trying to reference the serial numbers and make sense of it. To your knowledge, the dial is original?

Here is another list for serial numbers from the Double Red Sea Dweller website:

Check the dial version with the serial. The usual and these are only guidelines since Rolex collecting has no hard rules.
Mark I Dial, 1.6-2.2 mil

Its generally accepted by collectors that the DRSD were produced in the 1967-1977 range with the last batch in the 5.2 mil serials. While there might be some exception to the above, this is what is currently accepted by collectors..
Old 13 January 2010, 12:09 PM   #141
mlehman

Abi,

do you have any CD`s of your bluesy stuff?
If I bough that watch I would let it just as it is..cool history behind it
Mike
Old 13 January 2010, 12:45 PM   #142
haitek

Da Blues

Hey mlehman!

Thanks for your comments. Yes that's one reason I didn't have the watch 'restored', it has a interesting history with me. I need to sell the watch and then I'll have the cash to promote my music.
I don't have a CD as yet. I've been in the studio for the last five years, experimenting and putting stuff together. I've probably got enough blues recorded to make a CD (and a heap of other stuff) If you send me your email address I'll keep you posted. My email address is haitek@live.com.au
Regards................a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehman View Post
Abi,

do you have any CD`s of your bluesy stuff?
If I bough that watch I would let it just as it is..cool history behind it
Mike
Old 13 January 2010, 01:04 PM   #143
mlehman

Thanks..email is mlehman59@comcast.net

I`ve been listening to David Gilmore and Roger waters stuff lately.
Old 14 January 2010, 04:42 AM   #144
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:

Mark I Dial, 1.6-2.2 mil

I have posted it on another forum that deals with vintage to get some more info on the watch and see if its possible that the dial was sold with a case in the 1.7 million range. The crystal is so scratched that it distorts the dial somewhat but it looks like its a Mark III to me, and it looks genuine in my limited experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closeup.jpg (19.8 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg P10003072.jpg (35.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 14 January 2010, 09:42 AM   #145
haitek

Drsd

Hey DadsWatch72!

Thanks for your time and information. The picture you posted of the centre of the dial is identical to the dial I have here with the D in DWELLER above and slightly to the right of the R in SUBMARINER.
I had a gentleman visit me yesterday with books galore (and a nice early 60's submariner and a few others). We could find no reference to the actual watch in his book of prices but he had a book of Rolex Sports Watches and 'lo and behold' there was a picture of it on the front slip cover. He seemed to think it was genuine but didn't want to make me an offer just yet. I'm starting to visualise that Gibson Super 400 CES....Yay!
Old 14 January 2010, 10:10 AM   #146
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Hey DadsWatch72!

Thanks for your time and information. The picture you posted of the centre of the dial is identical to the dial I have here with the D in DWELLER above and slightly to the right of the R in SUBMARINER.
I had a gentleman visit me yesterday with books galore (and a nice early 60's submariner and a few others). We could find no reference to the actual watch in his book of prices but he had a book of Rolex Sports Watches and 'lo and behold' there was a picture of it on the front slip cover. He seemed to think it was genuine but didn't want to make me an offer just yet. I'm starting to visualise that Gibson Super 400 CES....Yay!
There are some things that don't make sense to some experts on these watches. In paticular, the serial number doesn't go with that dial. They would have to re-write the book on serial number associations if this is genuine. You said that you bought it new in the early seventys and the dial hasn't been changed so........its perplexing. It would be good to have the crystal removed and allow the dial to be viewed without all of the distortion. You could always take it to an Authorized Dealer and ask them to verify it. They might even service it since the dial appears to be in good condition (its hard to tell though). The hands would probably be replaced by Rolex. If you didn't want them to replace the hands, they might not service you. This is only speculation on my part. I have no idea what Rolex would say, but those are my thoughts.
Old 14 January 2010, 12:55 PM   #147
haitek

Drsd

Since finding out more about the watch, I too am perplexed. When the watch was serviced by Rolex in Sydney in the 80's, they only charged me for a service, no mention of changing the hands, dial or any other part of the watch was mentioned. No charge was made for any changes to the hardware, I just trusted them to take care of it, they did, so I was happy at the time. I was unaware of their 'modus operandi' then, as now. I'm considering re-listing the watch on ebay with a $20K reserve just to see what happens. I've numerous offers for the watch and would be happy to get that (or more). Any serious offers will be carefully considered.............a
Old 14 January 2010, 01:23 PM   #148
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Haitek,
Was the 80's the last time you had the watch serviced? Does it still run and keep time?
thanks
Old 14 January 2010, 01:57 PM   #149
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

what a cool read...like a real life detective novel...
good job guys...love TRF
Old 14 January 2010, 02:24 PM   #150
haitek

Drsd

Hey CaveDiver!
Thank you for your questions.
Yes it was. The watch has been in the top drawer since the crown fell off the shaft. It runs well and keeps good time but not the correct time since it can't be changed atm due to the crown being off the pinion/shaft. I've been wearing it for the last week. Kind of like saying goodbye to it...............a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Haitek,
Was the 80's the last time you had the watch serviced? Does it still run and keep time?
thanks
Closed Thread