The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 May 2016, 11:56 PM   #121
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I wish Paul would have PM'd the OP... I hate when they try to justify after what had happened. And mentioned, I had no knowledge about this situation...
jinikari01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 02:36 AM   #122
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRolex View Post
Greetings All

Sorry I am just seeing this now.

* Some of the allegations made against our company herein are wrongful, misleading and constitute an injurious falsehood for which we have the right to pursue a legal remedy at law.

First off, thank you to those who have provided some informative and supportive guidance here. It is very much appreciated. And thank you to the Rolex forums and its admin for maintaining the forums for all our benefit. It too is much appreciated.

It seems clear that the main issue here is the $475 deduction made to place the watch in top salable condition.

Watch: Ladies Rolex Stainless Date.

1. The watch needed a full service, polish and possibly a new crystal ( i did not see the watch personally ). It was also missing links: it is 16 years old +/- and has not been serviced in 6 years. We will not sell an older watch to a buyer that hasn’t been serviced in 6 years. All of our watches carry a 1 year warranty and our customers depend on us to deliver them a watch that will properly function for at least a few years after purchase.

2. We only use factory Rolex parts to service and restore our watches. As most of you know, those parts are much more expensive than generic “after market” parts.

3. $475 to service a 16 year old watch by a trusted, reputable Rolex service repair facility, with genuine factory parts is pretty reasonable. In fact it’s probably on the low side as it often costs more if it needs parts. Reputable repair shops, many of which are referenced on this forum, charge this much or more. Rolex would charge much more - possibly double.

4. Purchase estimates: We always quote our best up to price, not our worst, when providing purchase estimates. Some watches only need a polish, so in that case the deduction would be minimal.

5. We do not make a profit on repair costs. Our costs are reflected in a dollar for dollar adjustment. At the end of the day if all goes well, we hope to make a small profit.

Some of you who have had a used or a vintage Rolex watches serviced by Rolex or by a reputable repair shop know how expensive it can be. Often times in the thousands with respect to Rolex when it involves parts.
Do you mention to all customers before they send a watch off the points you have just stated? If not it might be worth informing them that you basically sell all watches in mint serviced condition and if it's not (which most people's arnt) then you will charge the client to get it to that state. Yes everyone knows the costs to service a watch.

Last edited by tommy91; 24 May 2016 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: Spelling
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 02:39 AM   #123
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Change your major, you're not very good at it so far.....
Old 24 May 2016, 01:55 PM   #124
cheetahrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Change your major, you're not very good at it so far.....
cheetahrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 02:57 PM   #125
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I'm surprised that Bob's Watches business is still running.
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 03:31 PM   #126
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlkoala View Post
I'm surprised that Bob's Watches business is still running.
I think they still appeal to the novice. Watches are authentic and obviously cheaper than the AD. Buy prices are probably similar to other second hand dealers for people that want to unload in a hurry.

The average Rolex owner isn't a WIS and doesn't hang out on TRF. Those people will still patronize Bob's.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 04:09 PM   #127
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Good points - I guess the best I could say is they've never been accused of selling fakes.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 06:20 PM   #128
Abdullah71601
Banned

Their posted markup is around 40-50% (assuming they buy the perfect used watch that has zero mark downs). They are probably making 60% on the typical watch, which IIRC is about where AD's are. And a lot lower than typical jewelry markups.

I don't begrudge them the same markup that is common in their industry, but their acquisition policy is definitely deceptive. It would be very rare that a watch didn't need some dealer prep before it goes in the show case. The routine costs associated with polishing and inspection (pressure testing) should be accounted for in the initial quote with the other overheads.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:07 PM   #129
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp5 View Post
starting off with threat of legal action usually ends up creating a very positive impression on a hard core watch forum full of potential customers. Cant wait to do business! Talk to you soon!
+1
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 04:38 AM   #130
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

What is the point of offering a price expecting a pristine perfect condition watch? How often do those even come along? If you are collecting a description and pictures, wouldn't it make more sense to offer a buy price based on the actual condition?

Also, I have yet to meet a dealer who is paying the full service price for every watch they service. It's called a volume discount and it happens even with Rolex services.
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 05:38 AM   #131
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivek View Post
you are not alone.
+100
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 06:00 AM   #132
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Bob's Watches

Just saw this again myself. Not sure why Tapatalk is not updating me. Thought the thread was dead.

For what it is worth I did list the watch in the classifieds and it was sold a couple weeks ago to a very satisfied buyer. In the excellent, original, unpolished condition it was presented to Bob's in.

Amazing a Rolex forum of this size and reach and a seller of used Rolex watches like Bob's and had to start an account to post. And has not been back since starting out with threatening to sue someone (for what I have no idea, giving an opinion, telling their experience). Would think this would have been a potential gold mine for them to market to.

Advertise whatever you want on your website, $2000 on this model by the way. But when you get pictures and know when the watch was last serviced don't offer the highest possible price knowing you will not ever pay that. That was my point. Along with the fact that the salesperson went MIA mid process.

Light polish, 2 links, regulation is what I was told.

Was told after inspection that the bracelet had virtually no wear and that the crystal was perfect. And you forgot the $100 deduction for not having the original warranty paper. That is how we got to the $1900 offer to begin with.

For Bob's attorney in training, I never said or implied that I was out anything other than my watch for a while as the salesperson was MIA for several days after I declined their offer. That is documented in this thread. My watch was returned in the condition it was sent in, no one is disputing that fact either. Albeit delayed.

From the looks of it Bob's would have been better off to PM or email or call me to discuss. But oh well.

Water under the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 06:14 AM   #133
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Isn't this common practice across almost all offers in all verticals unless you are selling at a firesale price?

I trade in my car, it gets inspected 1k off the offer because navigation doesn't work.

If I buy a car I point out what is wrong and try to get them to address it in their offer. I sell a business people evaluate it they counter offer.

The premise of the thread is obvious. I am not sure why there is backlash against Bob's for this issue and I am not employed by bobs.

I would have liked to know what the OP sold his watch for. I have gotten lowball buy offers from greys on TRF classifieds as well, in fact one famous one here was completely unprofessional, stating my ym is worth far less than the 14060 i was considering and didn't provide any thing further.

Bob's is an excellent and trustworthy source. You wire them money the next day you get a watch. If you don't like it, tell them why and send it back within 3 days, and you get your money back. I needed service on a daydate, sent it to them, fixed perfectly within a week. It might be trivial to some but to have an entity deal with nice pieces in a trustworthy manner is something I value although I am not a novice at buying watches.

I get their buy prices might be a bit low at times. I for example won't sell the 16710 I bought from them back to them because their maximum offer was too low at $4600 and I'd want >5k. From my experiences buying from them, I wouldn't hesitate to sell to them recognizing, perhaps obviously, their initial buy offer may be adjusted downward upon physical inspection.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 06:27 AM   #134
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Isn't this common practice across almost all offers in all verticals unless you are selling at a firesale price?

I trade in my car, it gets inspected 1k off the offer because navigation doesn't work.

If I buy a car I point out what is wrong and try to get them to address it in their offer. I sell a business people evaluate it they counter offer.

The premise of the thread is obvious. I am not sure why there is backlash against Bob's for this issue and I am not employed by bobs.

I would have liked to know what the OP sold his watch for. I have gotten lowball buy offers from greys on TRF classifieds as well, in fact one famous one here was completely unprofessional, stating my ym is worth far less than the 14060 i was considering and didn't provide any thing further.

Bob's is an excellent and trustworthy source. You wire them money the next day you get a watch. If you don't like it, tell them why and send it back within 3 days, and you get your money back. I needed service on a daydate, sent it to them, fixed perfectly within a week. It might be trivial to some but to have an entity deal with nice pieces in a trustworthy manner is something I value although I am not a novice at buying watches.

I get their buy prices might be a bit low at times. I for example won't sell the 16710 I bought from them back to them because their maximum offer was too low at $4600 and I'd want >5k. From my experiences buying from them, I wouldn't hesitate to sell to them recognizing, perhaps obviously, their initial buy offer may be adjusted downward upon physical inspection.
I can't help agreeing. I had a ridiculous offer from a company here in the UK. I said no. End of.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 06:34 AM   #135
goldfixer21
2024 Pledge Member

I know nothing about Bob's Watches, nor do I work there. That said, he has a business. He is in business to make money. Period. While his price quote tactics may be in need of adjustment, it's no different than trading in a car. You are ALWAYS going to get more money by selling it yourself. Many people do not like the hassle of doing this, so they are willing to take less to trade it in. I buy watches regularly from the public, and I always make it clear that I am factoring in servicing, reconditioning, and other unforeseen costs into my offer. I never give any quotes without physically holding the watch. I really don't blame him for being so forward about some of the claims made by those that have not had any direct involvement with his business. I too have inquired about watches from reputable dealers on this site, and have been given low offers on possible trade ins. That's how it works.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 07:24 AM   #136
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
I know nothing about Bob's Watches, nor do I work there. That said, he has a business. He is in business to make money. Period. While his price quote tactics may be in need of adjustment, it's no different than trading in a car. You are ALWAYS going to get more money by selling it yourself. Many people do not like the hassle of doing this, so they are willing to take less to trade it in. I buy watches regularly from the public, and I always make it clear that I am factoring in servicing, reconditioning, and other unforeseen costs into my offer. I never give any quotes without physically holding the watch. I really don't blame him for being so forward about some of the claims made by those that have not had any direct involvement with his business. I too have inquired about watches from reputable dealers on this site, and have been given low offers on possible trade ins. That's how it works.
I personally think you have been dealing/speaking to the wrong people then. In the past I have sold around 5 watches I think to companies as I didn't want the hassle of selling myself. All asked for the usual pictures and agree on offer, once seen every single one of them stook to there word and there offer. If someone was to come back to me and say actually I need this watch mint serviced condition I can't give you the price I told you, how about 25% less? I would never do any business with them ever. It is quite obvious they tried to pull a fast one which may be common practice for them. However I wouldn't deal with a company I felt were intentionally using techniques to lower the price. Anyway I suppose the argument will be split. Yes businesses will always try and maximize profits, however I would prefer to deal with companies that outline everything before hand and stick to there word, the businesses that do will always get the return customers. I am not referring to bobs in this post particularly as obviously I don't live in the US and have never had any dealings with them, so I have no idea the exact circumstances.
Old 25 May 2016, 11:34 AM   #137
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
.... snip

Amazing a Rolex forum of this size and reach and a seller of used Rolex watches like Bob's and had to start an account to post. And has not been back since starting out with threatening to sue someone (for what I have no idea, giving an opinion, telling their experience). Would think this would have been a potential gold mine for them to market to.

Bob's had an account on TRF. "Bobs-Watches" IIRC. It's odd they didn't use that account to reply. Maybe the backroom doesn't know what the SA's are up to.

TRF is not a goldmine for places like Bob's, or Paul Duggan, or Govberg. All are brick and mortar stores with fairly high overheads and fixed online pricing All are priced 10% or more above what you what expect from a trusted seller here. Most of the long term TRFers are informed buyers with access to a network of dealers with lower overheads and more flexibility in their pricing.

I only dealt with Bob's once to sell a watch, and their offer was too low. I would have been pissed if they gave me that low ball offer, then deducted even more once they had watch in hand for these "surprise" costs. IMO, they know with certainty that they will open the watch, inspect it, pressure test it, and give it a light polish. Those costs should be built in to the initial quote.
Old 25 May 2016, 12:00 PM   #138
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: you, watch me!!
I would like to point out that the account PaulRolex has a location of 'Arizona' and as others have pointed out Paul (AKA BOB) already has an older account on here. Bobs watches is located in California, so I am doubting that Paul actually made that post, probably a troll.

Paul is very rich from selling Rolex, and he does not get that way for buying them at top dollar, but as others have said his policy on lowering the buy price should be more clear.
Sidmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 12:07 PM   #139
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Bob's Watches

As a comparison to the OP's "bob" experience: after reading this thread, I inquired to Crown and Calibre about them purchasing a watch from me (they have a similar business model).

First, I went to the website and filled out the simple form, including model number, serial, and 5 pics.

I received a call a day later, and spoke to a rep about watch's service history (it was known to me; I had proof of service from prior month but she didn't want it). She specifically asked me about the number of links in the bracelet, and condition of the sapphire. She made me an offer, which I felt was low--but in the ballpark.

I told her I'd send more pics (sent her about 20 from every angle). Her valuation department analyzed it and came back same day with a slightly higher offer, so I sent off the watch.

After receiving the watch (which they confirmed via email), within 2 business days they emailed me to say their revised offer stood, and a check is in the mail.

Very painless process, and they stuck true to their quoted estimate (which was only a few hundred shy of going rate here on TRF for like watch). Seems pretty clear that this model can work seamlessly?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 12:14 PM   #140
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidmind View Post
I would like to point out that the account PaulRolex has a location of 'Arizona' and as others have pointed out Paul (AKA BOB) already has an older account on here. Bobs watches is located in California, so I am doubting that Paul actually made that post, probably a troll.

Paul is very rich from selling Rolex, and he does not get that way for buying them at top dollar, but as others have said his policy on lowering the buy price should be more clear.
On the internet, you can be from Mars....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 12:15 PM   #141
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
As a comparison to the OP's "bob" experience: after reading this thread, I inquired to Crown and Calibre about them purchasing a watch from me (they have a similar business model).

First, I went to the website and filled out the simple form, including model number, serial, and 5 pics.

I received a call a day later, and spoke to a rep about watch's service history (it was known to me; I had proof of service from prior month but she didn't want it). She made me an offer, which I felt was low but in the ballpark.

I told her I'd send more pics (sent her about 20 from every angle). Her valuation department analyzed it and came back same day with a slightly higher offer, so I sent off the watch. After receiving the watch, they emailed me to say their revised offer stood, and a check is in the mail.

Very painless process, and they stuck true to their quoted estimate (which was only a few hundred shy of going rate here on TRF for like watch). Seems pretty clear that this model can work seamlessly?

Sounds reasonable to me. Crown and Caliber was mentioned earlier here and I looked into it as well. I originally decided to throw it in the safe and hold on to it. My wife (whose watch it was) asked ok that I please sell it or trade it in my next watch purchase. Since she got her Tudor she never wears it. So I took a few of the pics that I had sent to Bob's and used them in the classifieds. Started at the original offer that I got from Bob's. Bumped and lowered about $100 over the course of a week or so. And got two offers within 2 hours of each other for the exact same $$. A member here got a great deal on a great watch and I got more than I would have selling to Bob's. It all worked out in the end. I personally would rather a TRF member get the benefit than a big company.

Old 25 May 2016, 12:15 PM   #142
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ha. There are some Martians here, I am sure.

Old 25 May 2016, 11:56 PM   #143
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidmind View Post
but as others have said his policy on lowering the buy price should be more clear.
Imo it is stated clearly. Every offer says : "Up To".
Old 25 May 2016, 11:58 PM   #144
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Mmm! Not sure they have broadband there yet?
GLADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 12:01 AM   #145
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

TRF is not a goldmine for places like Bob's, or Paul Duggan, or Govberg. All are brick and mortar stores with fairly high overheads and fixed online pricing All are priced 10% or more above what you what expect from a trusted seller here.

Those costs should be built in to the initial quote
1) some TRF'ers do have stores.
2) several TRFers have responded Bob's didn't deduct anything and gave them full offer in this thread. Furthermore your idea is simplistic because they actually have to look at the watch as there are many dimensions of valuation beyond every watch needs a polish and service. A part could be aftermarket, their could be too few links, their may be undisclosed damage, water damage, threading damage, etc. They price by serial then price specific to the watch.
Old 26 May 2016, 01:33 AM   #146
skydriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Pepsi
Wow, some very interesting comments by some well educated Rolex owners. This is why I joined this forum. Too bad it took me 11 years after my first Rolex purchase to find TRF.
skydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:01 AM   #147
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinikari01 View Post
I wish Paul would have PM'd the OP... I hate when they try to justify after what had happened. And mentioned, I had no knowledge about this situation...

As has been stated by other members, I'd bet money that's not the real Paul. I've seen him post in the vintage forum a time or two and can't exactly recall his username, but I'm certain it's not the poster in this thread.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 02:23 AM   #148
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
1) some TRF'ers do have stores.
2) several TRFers have responded Bob's didn't deduct anything and gave them full offer in this thread. Furthermore your idea is simplistic because they actually have to look at the watch as there are many dimensions of valuation beyond every watch needs a polish and service. A part could be aftermarket, their could be too few links, their may be undisclosed damage, water damage, threading damage, etc. They price by serial then price specific to the watch.
You seem to be working hard to defend Bob's.

The initial quote needs to include the things they ALWAYS do. They offer a 1 year warranty, so they're going to inspect it, reseal, and pressure test. They will polish anything that is not NIB so it looks new to the new owner.

They ask for pictures and present a quote. In my experience with them, the quote was quite low. So low that it wasn't worth the effort to go any further with them. Had I sent them the watch and they further deducted for things they ALWAYS do, I would have been as irritated as the OP.

Sometimes the watch isn't as described and a quote will be adjusted. But it seems to be a standard practice for them to adjust the price for things they ALWAYS do. That's a deceptive business practice IMO.

Full disclosure - I have purchased several watches from Bob's. All authentic. Next day no hassle delivery. And they honored their warranty on a main spring that failed after 6 months.
Old 27 May 2016, 03:20 AM   #149
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongarms View Post
Not here to trump up Bob's, but have traded in 2 watches over the last 2 years and got what I was told I would receive. More importantly, both watches I traded for were better than expected....Actually, both watches had open papers and were apparently never really worn.
Sure, I probably could have gotten more if I sold them outright, but the process was pretty seamless.
What say you Abdullah, since one contrary example logically disproves your assertion that they ALWAYS deduct and thus logically disproves your argument that they partake in "deceptive business practice"?
Old 27 May 2016, 03:29 AM   #150
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
What say you Abdullah, since one contrary example logically disproves your assertion that they ALWAYS deduct and thus logically disproves your argument that they partake in "deceptive business practice"?
You're not doing any favors to Bob's by bumping this thread to the top again, but I think it's cool....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote