The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 14 November 2008, 10:51 PM   #1
wolfwinter

Watch: GMTII-C
Rolex and Tudor on same dial?

I found this on Melrose Jewelers browsing. I didnt know that Rolex ever put Tudor on the dial with the Rolex name. Is this real?

http://www.melrosejewelers.com/info/...tudor_298.htm#
wolfwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 11:51 PM   #2
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...trademark infringement...

...and MISREPRESENTATION.

...if there is an eBay listing for this watch, please post it in this thread.

...Rolex NEVER produced a TUDOR watch DIAL with the Rolex Crown or the word Rolex on it.

Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 12:08 AM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Good catch! also known as RUDORs..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 12:29 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post

...Rolex NEVER produced a TUDOR watch DIAL with the Rolex Crown or the word Rolex on it.

Stan.
Well not quite trues Stan in the mid 1940s many Tudors had the word Rolex
as well on dial.And I had three at one time one was a rose gold with Tudor
at 12 and around the sub seconds dial at 6 Rolex Watch Company.

And yes a genuine dial 1940s Rolex Tudor

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 12:54 AM   #5
wolfwinter

Quote:

Stan.
Check out the link to Melrose Jewelers, the have a whole bunch of newer Rolex watches with both on the dial. I think that borders on fraud.

http://www.melrosejewelers.com/categ...atch_rolex.htm
Old 15 November 2008, 01:46 AM   #6
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwinter View Post
Check out the link to Melrose Jewelers, the have a whole bunch of newer Rolex watches with both on the dial. I think that borders on fraud.

http://www.melrosejewelers.com/categ...atch_rolex.htm
Read about them here:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0178486.htm

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 02:44 AM   #7
TimeToGo

Wow, Terry.

Good find. I wonder if Ebay knows about this..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 02:54 AM   #8
wolfwinter

and they still around and scamming people? This world is going the hell in a hand basket..
Old 15 November 2008, 04:12 AM   #9
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

...GREAT info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
...Terry. Thank you for showing us that!!!

Stan.
Old 15 November 2008, 10:45 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
While some believe Rolex might have produced dials originally signed Rolex Tudor during the period of 1946, I have yet to see a genuine one, find any genuine reference material on it or have personnel from Rolex verify it. Tudor wasn't around in the early 1940's, so early 1940's dialed Tudors are not possible.

The problem now is with all the fake dialed Tudor Rolexes for sale that have redials purporting or insinuating it is a Rolex. With that said, the proliferation of late, with all the Rolex dialed Tudor watches is fraud, as these watches are not a Rolex brand watch or model but a Tudor brand watch with Tudor serials numbers and movements unlike a Rolex brand watch. I and others have beaten this dog to death here. There are plenty posts regarding this subject in the archives if one wishes to look. With all the Tudors made, it is amazing that there aren't any genuine examples of the Rolex Tudor dialed watches to be found for sale. If there are some around, the odds of a 1940's vintage Tudor still wearing an original dial are pretty slim. If somebody has one I'd like to see it.

The Tudor watches with the Rolex signed dials that have been discused here on the forum have all been fake dials in violation of the Lanham Act. They were produced to deceive others into believing they were a Rolex. As far as Rolex signed crowns, bands and other parts being found on a Tudor doesn't change the fact that the watch is still a Tudor. If Rolex wanted them to be Rolxexes, they wouldn't have created the Tudor brand of watches. It is unlike many other watches manufactured and identical except for the brand name. As an example, Heuer made the same identical chronograph watch and branded it under many names, to include Zodiac and Sears. Rolex created a new brand of watch, named it Tudor, and gave it a few Rolex parts. As far as I know, Rolex never made a complete Tudor that was identical to any Rolex watch, unlike Heuer and other watch companies. I'm sure this was done for a reason.

As far as Melrose Jewelers go, the watches are violations of the Lanham Act, unless Rolex authorized it. Since Rolex didn't ever produce dials like this, in my opinion, I believe it is fraud.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2008, 11:41 AM   #11
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

...I have seen that EXACT model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well not quite trues Stan in the mid 1940s many Tudors had the word Rolex
as well on dial.And I had three at one time one was a rose gold with Tudor
at 12 and around the sub seconds dial at 6 Rolex Watch Company.

And yes a genuine dial 1940s Rolex Tudor

...that you have pictured with ONLY the word Tudor on it.

...Padi, I would surmise that the one pictured has been re-done, sometime during it's life, to show the word Rolex.

...as Springer has posted, these Tudor watches are being REPRESENTED as Rolex. Something they are NOT, have NOT been, and will NEVER be.

...albeit, the Tudor line was/is made under strict Rolex supervision so as to have great quality also. Lord knows I own a few (about 30) that I will put up against their Rolex counterparts for durability and accuracy any day. (And, yes, I own a few D/D with the "California Dial" that are simply georgeous-BUT, they are Tudors, all day long.)

Sincerely, Stan.
Old 15 November 2008, 11:45 AM   #12
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

...THANKS, Springer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
While some believe Rolex might have produced dials originally signed Rolex Tudor during the period of 1946, I have yet to see a genuine one, find any genuine reference material on it or have personnel from Rolex verify it. Tudor wasn't around in the early 1940's, so early 1940's dialed Tudors are not possible.

The problem now is with all the fake dialed Tudor Rolexes for sale that have redials purporting or insinuating it is a Rolex. With that said, the proliferation of late, with all the Rolex dialed Tudor watches is fraud, as these watches are not a Rolex brand watch or model but a Tudor brand watch with Tudor serials numbers and movements unlike a Rolex brand watch. I and others have beaten this dog to death here. There are plenty posts regarding this subject in the archives if one wishes to look. With all the Tudors made, it is amazing that there aren't any genuine examples of the Rolex Tudor dialed watches to be found for sale. If there are some around, the odds of a 1940's vintage Tudor still wearing an original dial are pretty slim. If somebody has one I'd like to see it.

The Tudor watches with the Rolex signed dials that have been discused here on the forum have all been fake dials in violation of the Lanham Act. They were produced to deceive others into believing they were a Rolex. As far as Rolex signed crowns, bands and other parts being found on a Tudor doesn't change the fact that the watch is still a Tudor. If Rolex wanted them to be Rolxexes, they wouldn't have created the Tudor brand of watches. It is unlike many other watches manufactured and identical except for the brand name. As an example, Heuer made the same identical chronograph watch and branded it under many names, to include Zodiac and Sears. Rolex created a new brand of watch, named it Tudor, and gave it a few Rolex parts. As far as I know, Rolex never made a complete Tudor that was identical to any Rolex watch, unlike Heuer and other watch companies. I'm sure this was done for a reason.

As far as Melrose Jewelers go, the watches are violations of the Lanham Act, unless Rolex authorized it. Since Rolex didn't ever produce dials like this, in my opinion, I believe it is fraud.
...for sharing this info again.

...fellers, I HAVE to get to bed so I can get up at 3AM and go Deer hunting with my sons.

...wishing you all the best for the weekend.

Stan.
Old 15 November 2008, 01:57 PM   #13
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
I have been contacted by several people who where scammed by these conmen as well...
stay far away from them!!
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2011, 04:37 AM   #14
aceshigh601
"TRF" Member

tudor

I recently purchased a 1940's Tudor for my father. It looks original and has nice patina on the dial but has a rolex signed crown. Seller promised all original, etc. Did Tudor make watches with a Rolex crown ever?
-E
aceshigh601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2011, 04:03 AM   #15
nowzen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I don't understand why this stuff continues to come up.

Rolex was producing Tudor signed watches in the 20's and 30's, long before it became a separate brand in 1946.

The Tudor watch website, in its history section says Rolex sold Tudor branded watches as early as the 20's and 30's and some rare examples of co-branded Tudor/Rolex watches. Please visit the Tudor website if you don't believe me... or is it fake too?

There's many examples around like Stan's, but you choose to dismiss them simply because they are co-branded. They are also depicted in old catalogues which you also choose to dismiss as not genuine. If "Tudor wasn't around in the early 1940's" then Rolex didn't know about it since it was registered on Wilsdorf's behalf in 1926 and he legally acquired it in 1936. 1936 was also the first use of the rose graphic on Rolex Tudor watches. Resistance is futile.
Old 22 November 2011, 04:12 AM   #16
nowzen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh601 View Post
I recently purchased a 1940's Tudor for my father. It looks original and has nice patina on the dial but has a rolex signed crown. Seller promised all original, etc. Did Tudor make watches with a Rolex crown ever?
-E
Tudor had Rolex branded bracelets until 1971 and the Tudor subs had Rolex crowns and oyster cases until the mid-90s.
Old 22 November 2011, 04:44 AM   #17
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowzen View Post
I don't understand why this stuff continues to come up.

Rolex was producing Tudor signed watches in the 20's and 30's, long before it became a separate brand in 1946.

The Tudor watch website, in its history section says Rolex sold Tudor branded watches as early as the 20's and 30's and some rare examples of co-branded Tudor/Rolex watches. Please visit the Tudor website if you don't believe me... or is it fake too?

There's many examples around like Stan's, but you choose to dismiss them simply because they are co-branded. They are also depicted in old catalogues which you also choose to dismiss as not genuine. If "Tudor wasn't around in the early 1940's" then Rolex didn't know about it since it was registered on Wilsdorf's behalf in 1926 and he legally acquired it in 1936. 1936 was also the first use of the rose graphic on Rolex Tudor watches. Resistance is futile.
it doesn't continue to come up, this thread is 3 years old

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2011, 08:36 AM   #18
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Good catch! also known as RUDORs..
Roudor!

Old 22 November 2011, 04:10 PM   #19
nowzen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
it doesn't continue to come up, this thread is 3 years old
Time is but the stream I go fishin' in...
Old 27 December 2019, 10:29 PM   #20
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Stan.

From The Tudor Website:

1932 FIRST TUDOR WATCHES IN AUSTRALIA
The first watches bear a simple TUDOR signature on the dial, with the horizontal bar of the T lengthened above the other letters. On some rare pieces, the name Rolex also appears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TudorRWC.jpg (116.4 KB, 465 views)
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:54 AM   #21
mrfreaz
"TRF" Member

I don't think that Rolex putting their name on a Tudor dial should really come as such a big shock. After all, they marketed the brand as a "Faux" Rolex for those who couldn't afford them. But evidently, they thought better of it and put it on the case, crowns and bracelets instead. This was quite deliberate, they could have branded it strictly as a Tudor instead, and finally did towards the nineties. For all practical purposes, the watches were Rolexes with an ETA movement. For decades they looked not just similar but identical, dials included, save for the Tudor Logo. So, in my book, Tudors were "Authorized" Rolex Replicas. You really can't blame them for wanting a piece of that market! It's only been the last decade that they've become become a distinct brand. The funny thing is that you would have expected Tudors to far outpace Rolex in terms of sales. However, judging by serial numbers, it looks like it was exactly the opposite. It hasn't been until fairly recently that Tudor's volume has really taken off. Some estimate current production at almost half of Rolexes' around 250K pieces a year.
mrfreaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 01:01 PM   #22
Edward Pellew
"TRF" Member

There were some Rolex Tudor Prince watches . . .

. . . produced for the Optimists International organization in the late 50s or early 60s.

They were likely made as a special commission for Rolex in the US, and the watches were awarded to past national officers of Optimists International.

I have one, with an inscription to the Optimists President 1958 - 1959, and I have seen two or three others offered over the years.
Edward Pellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 12:39 AM   #23
offrdmania

Holy 8 year thread resurrection there boys
Old 25 November 2021, 05:48 AM   #24
Muz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Ranger
Wrong thread
Muz is offline   Reply With Quote