The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 March 2018, 12:34 AM   #1
Phalanx
Banned

What to do for sale if buyer and seller have no repuation/feedback?

Summary: i want to buy a rolex, and i have no feedback and not a member here for long. same for seller he has only 1 feedback as a buyer.

what can we do in this situation. ? is there someone here who is highly trusted who can act as a middleman and receive the watch, and get the payment sent to them. then they send watch to buyer, and send payment to seller. ?

or any other suggestions?
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 03:12 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
doubt anyone would stick their neck out as a middleman. i believe its also against forum rules of possession of the watch(?)

too many nodes for a smooth deal imop.

if a deal is this complicated beforehand, it rarely ends well.

i'd move on if either of you can't afford to lose the asset or the cash.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 03:14 AM   #3
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Either gotta trust each other or walk away from the deal.
Old 1 March 2018, 03:40 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
What is so special about this watch and seller?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:11 AM   #5
Phalanx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
doubt anyone would stick their neck out as a middleman. i believe its also against forum rules of possession of the watch(?)

too many nodes for a smooth deal imop.

if a deal is this complicated beforehand, it rarely ends well.

i'd move on if either of you can't afford to lose the asset or the cash.
i'm not sure how a member "would need to stick their neck out". all they are doing is acting as a middle man. theres no risk to them.

i wire middle man money. seller mails him watch. middle man does continuous video on his cell phone of him picking up the watch and right there in the postal office opening the box while continuously recording to prove the watch was in the box or was not.

now middle man sends out watch to buyer and wires seller.

I have to be honest with you guys, I don't like how this forum has this "i dont wanna help you" attitude, imo, it's very poor and shameful. This is a community of people interested in a watch brand, so people should really be willing to help other newbies more.
Old 4 March 2018, 02:17 AM   #6
Phalanx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
What is so special about this watch and seller?
the price point he agreed to i guess and that it is the new style of the datejust meaning, the markers are white patina and not gold anymore. i beleive they made this change in 2012?
Old 4 March 2018, 02:59 AM   #7
ohjnxg
"TRF" Member

when did datejust not use gold markers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohjnxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 05:27 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
. . .I have to be honest with you guys, I don't like how this forum has this "i dont wanna help you" attitude, imo, it's very poor and shameful. This is a community of people interested in a watch brand, so people should really be willing to help other newbies more.
Gotta' give it to you.. trying to shame somebody into accepting all the risk..

If it's a scam, you leave the "middleman" at risk, or accepting that you are not the con-man who may levy "nothing in the box" assertions.

There are escrow companies that will do what you want for a fee, but you would need to get the seller to agree.

TFR is not a sales forum. You need to enter into any transaction with full confidence of who you are dealing with. Most transactions between members go smoothly, however, we get threads weekly about members being scammed; don't be one of those.
Old 4 March 2018, 06:31 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
i'm not sure how a member "would need to stick their neck out". all they are doing is acting as a middle man. theres no risk to them.

i wire middle man money. seller mails him watch. middle man does continuous video on his cell phone of him picking up the watch and right there in the postal office opening the box while continuously recording to prove the watch was in the box or was not.

I have to be honest with you guys, I don't like how this forum has this "i dont wanna help you" attitude, imo, it's very poor and shameful. This is a community of people interested in a watch brand, so people should really be willing to help other newbies more.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You really expect some random person who doesn’t know you to be a middle man and take all the risk for you?

Well, that’s a new one.

Their are plenty of extremely trusted sellers here.

Do business with one of them. You will pay a bit more, but there is safety in the transaction.

If the difference is too much and causing you to hesitate, it means you’re not ready to buy.

I doubt you would be willing to take a large financial risk for a complete stranger.
Old 4 March 2018, 10:05 AM   #11
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Gotta' give it to you.. trying to shame somebody into accepting all the risk..

If it's a scam, you leave the "middleman" at risk, or accepting that you are not the con-man who may levy "nothing in the box" assertions.
Exactly
pilotjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 10:21 AM   #12
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!

Some grade A shtick, OP.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 10:25 AM   #13
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjim View Post
Exactly
+ 1, tools nails it with his post.

The forum is helpful in advice, enabling, and general WIS talk... IDK anyone who would take on $10k+ risk for a stranger bc someone signed up for a forum.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 11:11 AM   #14
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
use an escrow service like escrow.com
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 12:24 PM   #15
RedLs3
Banned

Easy..... FIND ONE THAT DOES in “whos,who”. Prob solved
RedLs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 09:39 PM   #16
Phalanx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
You really expect some random person who doesn’t know you to be a middle man and take all the risk for you?

Well, that’s a new one.

Their are plenty of extremely trusted sellers here.

Do business with one of them. You will pay a bit more, but there is safety in the transaction.

If the difference is too much and causing you to hesitate, it means you’re not ready to buy.

I doubt you would be willing to take a large financial risk for a complete stranger.
Heres the thing, and what you guys are confused about. i didn't suggest a "random person" be a middle man. the person i chose (and he has now agreed to it) to middle man this is a person who sold the watch to the person i'm buying from. He's also from the same city as me.

Also I already told you how to defeat the "nothing in the box scammer". You just shoot a continuous video on your cell phone of you lining up at the post office, receiving the box and opening it. Its all on video so if its empty it'll be on video when you open it. I did this with an ebay seller a few years back when the iphone 4 first came out and i won my claim against him.

The ppl here who are typing "rofl" truly make me laugh.

I will just use escrow instead.
Old 4 March 2018, 09:41 PM   #17
Phalanx
Banned

i will simply use escrow.

i did find someone who was highly trusted and wililng to be middle-man. now the seller is refusing to use him.. hmmmm. i smell something and it's not a fish
Old 4 March 2018, 11:07 PM   #18
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
My response:
Old 5 March 2018, 02:08 AM   #19
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Wow.
Old 5 March 2018, 03:33 AM   #20
MinMay
Banned

I don't blame the seller for not sending his Rolex to someone who he doesn't know either. If he doesn't want to escrow then stay away. Plenty of Rolexes out there...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 06:21 AM   #21
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
My response:
Lmao!
pilotjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:02 AM   #22
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
I have heard it all now.... No risk for the middle man? How does one even come to that conclusion? The trusted watch sellers here may do it for a broker fee but they won't be paying up front for the watch and I can assure you of that so if that is what you mean by "no risk" then I find that acceptable. As another member stated.. Why risk it when there are too many Rolex watches to count being sold on here.

Seems like a lot of headache for a Rolex watch you have ask me..
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 07:17 AM   #23
Phalanx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post
I have heard it all now.... No risk for the middle man? How does one even come to that conclusion? The trusted watch sellers here may do it for a broker fee but they won't be paying up front for the watch and I can assure you of that so if that is what you mean by "no risk" then I find that acceptable. As another member stated.. Why risk it when there are too many Rolex watches to count being sold on here.

Seems like a lot of headache for a Rolex watch you have ask me..
what? when did i say they pay for the watch up front? i said i pay.

anyways, the seller is refusing to even use escrow so not gonna go through.

thx
Old 6 March 2018, 07:47 AM   #24
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I don't think this idea is that far out there. I've done it before with some other transactions I've made for sports memorabilia I've both bought and sold.

We've found a person we both trust, both sent money and item to the person and, when the person has both the money from the buyer and the item from the seller, they ship it out. No up-front money from the middle man.

There's always been a fee involved because it creates unnecessary work for the escrow individual, but usually less than what a service would cost.

I think the OP has his answer on whether the seller should be trusted - if he's not willing to use a middleman that he knows, then it's not worth risking your money. Good for you for trying to find a solution.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 08:13 AM   #25
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
what? when did i say they pay for the watch up front? i said i pay.

anyways, the seller is refusing to even use escrow so not gonna go through.

thx
If you don't trust the seller enough to send him money then find another one.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:06 AM   #26
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I would never buy from an unknown seller with 1 reference. In fact I wouldn’t bother with any seller that wasn’t very well known with lots of positive feedback. So for me I don’t gamble with my hard earned money which is why I won’t end up posting a thread like below this one titled “I got scammed”.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:42 PM   #27
Phalanx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
I don't think this idea is that far out there. I've done it before with some other transactions I've made for sports memorabilia I've both bought and sold.

We've found a person we both trust, both sent money and item to the person and, when the person has both the money from the buyer and the item from the seller, they ship it out. No up-front money from the middle man.

There's always been a fee involved because it creates unnecessary work for the escrow individual, but usually less than what a service would cost.

I think the OP has his answer on whether the seller should be trusted - if he's not willing to use a middleman that he knows, then it's not worth risking your money. Good for you for trying to find a solution.
thank you . at least one or two ppl seen my solution as reasonable. everyone else laughed, poked fun at me, trolled me, and swore at me.

with that said, the seller has refused to user the highly trusted middleman (even though he was sold the same watch im buying by this highly trusted member.
second- he refused to use escrow as well
Old 6 March 2018, 10:49 PM   #28
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
thank you . at least one or two ppl seen my solution as reasonable. everyone else laughed, poked fun at me, trolled me, and swore at me.

with that said, the seller has refused to user the highly trusted middleman (even though he was sold the same watch im buying by this highly trusted member.
second- he refused to use escrow as well
Walk away man, if you don't feel comfortable that's it. Same goes to the other guy who may not be feeling comfortable with you. You both have no documented reputation...if the s$@# hits the fan someone may end up getting (financially) hurt.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote