The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 3 January 2020, 12:19 AM   #31
RidingDonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
I love the, "Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy." Do I need to ask for permission before I use that phrase? LOL! Hysterical.
It's been my signature line for years on many forums. Many have asked, and I'm sure many more others have used it already, so have at.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #32
Vksculptures
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your terrible money loss ,
Happened to me exactly same thing
Highly trusted user with other watches for sale , was hacked by some prick
And I wired the money and even spoke on the phone with him and he send me empty box two weeks later .
Banks told me it’s not fraud because I send the money .
I lost 2900$
I also lost all my trust to forum purchases ... so went to ad and bought a Rolex Explorer
Vksculptures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 03:31 AM   #33
Peemaster
Banned

Seriously, how often get people scammed on this board due to account hijacking. You guys must all have at least some experience with the handling of money, yet you seem to neglect even the slightest form of due diligence.

Just for starters; mods should make a sticky post on how to do due diligence before the purchase of a high value item online.

Secondly why aren’t trustee based purchases not a thing here? Long time members could offer trustee services for a small extra fee.

Next; real account owners can use blockchain based services in order to rule out account hijackings. Ethereum based signatures are almost free of charge...

Get your shit together people...
Peemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 11:16 AM   #34
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I GOT SCAMMED somebody phished Leemozoid’s password

If Watchuseek wants to be good netizens, they should implement 2FA on the site and mandate its use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 12:10 PM   #35
Mills_
"TRF" Member

Indulge me with a sharp left turn... should the people getting their accounts hacked because they are silly enough to click on a scam link be held accountable in some capacity for these losses?
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 01:00 PM   #36
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Wow, sorry I don’t have the slightest idea what a 2 Fu is or an ether based signature is nor to I have any desire to know . I do know you can check and cross check seller and he can still make a mistake or worse do an intentional mis representation or scam. All I know is I will insist on AMX or pay pal or both. Yes I will pay their extra costs if need be but no wire transfer! Sadly so many after reading all this scams, fishing and such still don’t seem to learn . Op sooo sorry you lost your money but maybe your experience might help others to protect themselves.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 01:40 PM   #37
gulodeenharry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Wow, sorry I don’t have the slightest idea what a 2 Fu is or an ether based signature is nor to I have any desire to know . I do know you can check and cross check seller and he can still make a mistake or worse do an intentional mis representation or scam. All I know is I will insist on AMX or pay pal or both. Yes I will pay their extra costs if need be but no wire transfer! Sadly so many after reading all this scams, fishing and such still don’t seem to learn . Op sooo sorry you lost your money but maybe your experience might help others to protect themselves.

gulodeenharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 04:02 PM   #38
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

I almost got scammed by this guy as well.

He said he was having problems with Paypal so wanted me to pay with either crypto or wire. I knew crypto was not traceable and sending a wire was a one way traffic so I did not.

I do believe that the original account holder has some negligence regarding this matter.

I never send the money via wire for any purchases. Paypal only and I am willing to cover the fees.

You can see below screenshot for the Sub date.

McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 06:48 PM   #39
Peemaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post

Don't want to grind your gears here but imo this attitude eventually leads to more people getting scammed. My field of work has been IT-Security for over 20 years and i am telling you, solely relying on the buyer protection systems of pp or cc companies is dangerous and can easily drain your wallet and your watch collection....

First of all; pp and cc providers are just as reluctant to compensate you for your losses as every other company is.

Just google a little and you'll find numerous examples of people who blindly relied on buyer protection systems. I would paste in some links, but im not allowed yet...

These cases cover frauds which were committed by exchanging counterfeit articles for real funds. These users will not get compensated by paypal / cc provider, even though they allegedly are covered by buyer protection. There are many more examples...

If you are the seller this scam is even easier since all the fraudster has to do is hack a paypal or banking account. You will receive the money, send out the watch and lose the money again just a few days later. That's just how it goes...

Don't count on getting your money back from cc / pp if the fraudster made his homework, you'll be out of luck.

In 2020 you don't want to solely rely on buyer/seller protection promises which eventually turn out to be marketing gadgets, you want to know your buyer / seller. Unfortunately this means that you'll have to conduct your own investigation.

Nowadays only reputation + 2fa and crypto based signing can support you and your counterpart to be sure who they are dealing with.
Peemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #40
RidingDonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
If Watchuseek wants to be good netizens, they should implement 2FA on the site and mandate its use.

I totally thought we were on The Rolex Forum.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 02:51 AM   #41
Billfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date, Panda
My wife who is a legal at Fed Reserve Bank has seen hundreds of these cases and none turn out well for the originator of the "wire" Especially when the money is immediately siphoned from the receiver once available in the account.
Billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 05:21 AM   #42
saint777
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peemaster View Post
Don't want to grind your gears here but imo this attitude eventually leads to more people getting scammed. My field of work has been IT-Security for over 20 years and i am telling you, solely relying on the buyer protection systems of pp or cc companies is dangerous and can easily drain your wallet and your watch collection....

First of all; pp and cc providers are just as reluctant to compensate you for your losses as every other company is.

Just google a little and you'll find numerous examples of people who blindly relied on buyer protection systems. I would paste in some links, but im not allowed yet...

These cases cover frauds which were committed by exchanging counterfeit articles for real funds. These users will not get compensated by paypal / cc provider, even though they allegedly are covered by buyer protection. There are many more examples...

If you are the seller this scam is even easier since all the fraudster has to do is hack a paypal or banking account. You will receive the money, send out the watch and lose the money again just a few days later. That's just how it goes...

Don't count on getting your money back from cc / pp if the fraudster made his homework, you'll be out of luck.

In 2020 you don't want to solely rely on buyer/seller protection promises which eventually turn out to be marketing gadgets, you want to know your buyer / seller. Unfortunately this means that you'll have to conduct your own investigation.

Nowadays only reputation + 2fa and crypto based signing can support you and your counterpart to be sure who they are dealing with.

Or a escrow service

saint777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 06:59 AM   #43
indi
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear your story.
I experienced the same, some times ago here in TRF.
The WTB threads are the door for scammers to reach you.

Yes you are right, the key to reverse the money is speed.
You might have chance if the money still travelling in the network.
Once it arrived at recipient then it will gone.
Seems escrow account is the best option unless you really know who you dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint777 View Post
Wired money gets in the bank within a day. And Once the wired money is removed from the account the next day when available, there is nothing the banks can do.

I don’t know how you would get your money back once the scammer has pulled it out from the bank.

Trust me, I spent months researching, speaking to bank managers, fraud departments, detectives, etc... my friend is a manager in the bank where the money was transferred, and he couldn’t do anything.

The only way you can stop the wire or get it back is before the scammer withdraws it or transfers it to another offshore account. You only have about 24 hrs to figure out you were scammed....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
indi is offline   Reply With Quote