The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
My latest court appearance

In my business (automotive professor and forensic inspection) I have been called on numerous times to provide testimony in vehicle related court cases. Some have been criminal, others civil.

My current case is an interesting one. It involves an '08 Harley Davidson Fat Boy, sugar in the gas tank, and a destroyed engine.

I'm still waiting for a copy of the repair shop's work order, and receipt of the engine so I can dismantle it and assess the cause and scope of the damage.

Should be an interesting court appearance.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 01:37 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

*For some reason, there's a common rumor about sugar and gas that's been around for decades. Supposedly, if you pour sugar into someone's gas tank, you will disable the car. The sugar is supposed to react with the gasoline and turn into a semi-solid, gooey substance that totally clogs up the gas tank, the fuel lines, and so on.
It sounds great, especially if you have a grudge against someone. The problem with this rumor is that it simply isn't true. As it turns out, sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline. Pouring sand into the gas tank would have about the same effect as pouring in sugar. The sand or sugar might clog up the filter, and that could disable the car, but it's not a sure thing.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
jasonclark

Whether the sugar turns into a gooey substance or not, I think it running through the fuels lines, even dissolved in the oil, is probably not good. Sounds like a lady might have had it out for her biker boyfriend? Good luck!
jasonclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 01:46 PM   #4
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonclark View Post
Whether the sugar turns into a gooey substance or not, I think it running through the fuels lines, even dissolved in the oil, is probably not good. Sounds like a lady might have had it out for her biker boyfriend? Good luck!
Or a jealous husband.
Old 12 March 2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline. Pouring sand into the gas tank would have about the same effect as pouring in sugar.
We're on the same wavelength. I'm already in posession of a copy of the results of the 1994 experiments conducted by forensic professor John Thornton from Berkeley. He esssentially irradiated sugar, mixed it with gasoline, spun it in a centrifuge, collected the results, and found trace radiation. That's old news, nothing new there. Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline.

Current arguments could include that gasoline here may contain up to 10% methanol. Methanol will dissolve sugar, but at a concentration so low as to be insignificant.

The next argument will probably be that the sugar passed into the engine, caremalized from the heat, then settled into a rock hard sustance when it cooled.

Nope. Fine sugar granules, as in bulk table sugar, average 500 - 800 microns. Harley Davidson OE fuel filters trap particles over 20 microns. That didn't do it.

Finally, it has been suggested that the fuel system ran lean because of the sugar contamination of the fuel filter and injectors ('08 Fat Boys are equipped with Delphi fuel injection), and that caused an overheat which destroyed the engine.

Nope. A lean mixture with resulting overheat would have triggered the ECM into shutting down the rear cylinder to protect the engine. Preliminary discussions indicate that both cylinders were damaged.

I'm waiting for delivery of the engine for teardown and inspection, and an oil analysis.

BTW, view Mythbusters Episode #15, July 27, 2004.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 12 March 2011, 02:15 PM   #6
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Are you on the plaintiff or defendant side?
Old 12 March 2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
Are you on the plaintiff or defendant side?
Defendant's. I've never met anybody involved in this case, including the attorneys who hired me after a telephone conversation(they are a referral). I'm just paid to do research and present my findings.

As with every case I sit on, I have no prior knowledge of either party. If I did, I would disqualify myself.
Member #1,315

Old 12 March 2011, 02:47 PM   #8
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I have had some interesting experiences with "expert witnesses" hired by attorneys. It seems their data and math would somehow make their results come in well below any possible criminal threshold. I appreciate someone who just takes the appropriate information and data, conducts tests, and reaches logical results without being told beforehand what they need to come up with.
Old 12 March 2011, 03:14 PM   #9
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: this
As MonBK stated. Sugar in the gas tank will do little to no damage. May goo up the filter or the in tank fuel pump a little bit, but nothing to to actual motor. It would get burned up in the combustion chamber at those temps and pressures. May make for a sweet smelling car !!! It would probably do some damage if it was poured in the oil, but not the gas tank. I've seen this many times in my days as a LEO. I'm also versed in performance cars and bikes and know the workings well.

Not that their finding are legally conclusive, but the guys from Mythbusters did a whole show on that theory a few years ago and they busted it...

-Scott B.
Old 12 March 2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3pilot View Post
Not that their finding are legally conclusive, but the guys from Mythbusters did a whole show on that theory a few years ago and they busted it...

-Scott B.
Read the last sentence of Post #5. It includes the episode and original air date.
Member #1,315

Old 12 March 2011, 03:23 PM   #11
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
OK, I'm FAR from an expert on engines... but, what I was tought, was that sugar not dissolving in gasoline was just the point. Since it didn't disolve, it would remain a very fine solid, fine enough to penetrate the filter and be pumped into the combustion chamber. The granules would rub the piston and cylinder walls like a sandpaper, eventually causing scaring and compression loss, to the point of ruining the engine.

No?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 04:23 PM   #12
LMP
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's, Subs, OQ's
Amazing what one can learn on this watch forum!
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 04:33 PM   #13
britincali
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600,16570,6098
IMO it would block the filter which would cause it to run lean which would melt the pistons which would ruin the motor.

ECUs are not that fast at reacting to lean conditions, my truck is superchaged and when things go lean it gets messy fast, Im on my second motor and probably 8th set of plugs in 3 years. This is on an OBD2 motor with all sensors and smog stuff intact.

If the guy was hammering on the bike when the sugar blocked the filter it would get nasty quick.

Im not a pro but have been a tinkering mechanic for many years.
britincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 06:46 PM   #14
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Sugar in fuel ? we have 10 % ethanol in ours, is that the same
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 08:32 PM   #15
Rolex116520
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Deepsea
Quote:
Or a jealous husband.
This seems to come from someone that knows what he's talking about
Rolex116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 10:45 PM   #16
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britincali View Post
IMO it would block the filter which would cause it to run lean which would melt the pistons which would ruin the motor.
Now that's the reason I need the engine, to strip it down and find out what damage occured. The lawyer might not like my conclusions.
Member #1,315

Old 12 March 2011, 11:40 PM   #17
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well sugar isn't abrasive so could it really score the cyclinders I suppose these days there are special linings in some engine cyclinders.

But injectors are very small and I'm not sure the sugar grains could pass through the eye of the injectors....

If the sugar did enter the cyclinder then it might cake up the cyclinders......burnt sugar becomes caramel...then toffee....then maybe strong glue

In terms of the case did the engine in the motorcycle fail? If that was so then there really needs to be a careful examination of the engine.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2011, 11:48 PM   #18
Jan Davis
Fake Identity Cyber-Criminal

Watch: DateJust
My brother has a 2005 Harley, and he uses his key to open the gas tank.
Jan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2011, 12:08 AM   #19
Rolex116520
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Deepsea
Why bother to try and break in the petrol tank . Just remove the spark pugs and funnel some metal shavings or balls from a bearing straight in the cylinders .
I guarantee you a result .
Rolex116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2011, 12:43 AM   #20
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Davis View Post
My brother has a 2005 Harley, and he uses his key to open the gas tank.
Not all models come with locking gas caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex116520 View Post
Why bother to try and break in the petrol tank . Just remove the spark pugs and funnel some metal shavings or balls from a bearing straight in the cylinders .
I guarantee you a result .
My guess would be there's more of a chance to leave fingerprints that way. But you're right. That could cause some serious damage.
Old 13 March 2011, 01:25 AM   #21
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Read the last sentence of Post #5. It includes the episode and original air date.
Oops, sorry I missed that in the post. I saw the original when it aired and was wondering if they would come up with the same conclusion that I had years earlier. They are pretty smart guys and they did...... :)

-Scott B.
Old 13 March 2011, 01:43 AM   #22
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
We're on the same wavelength. I'm already in posession of a copy of the results of the 1994 experiments conducted by forensic professor John Thornton from Berkeley. He esssentially irradiated sugar, mixed it with gasoline, spun it in a centrifuge, collected the results, and found trace radiation. That's old news, nothing new there. Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline.

Current arguments could include that gasoline here may contain up to 10% methanol. Methanol will dissolve sugar, but at a concentration so low as to be insignificant.

The next argument will probably be that the sugar passed into the engine, caremalized from the heat, then settled into a rock hard sustance when it cooled.

Nope. Fine sugar granules, as in bulk table sugar, average 500 - 800 microns. Harley Davidson OE fuel filters trap particles over 20 microns. That didn't do it.

Finally, it has been suggested that the fuel system ran lean because of the sugar contamination of the fuel filter and injectors ('08 Fat Boys are equipped with Delphi fuel injection), and that caused an overheat which destroyed the engine.

Nope. A lean mixture with resulting overheat would have triggered the ECM into shutting down the rear cylinder to protect the engine. Preliminary discussions indicate that both cylinders were damaged.

I'm waiting for delivery of the engine for teardown and inspection, and an oil analysis.

BTW, view Mythbusters Episode #15, July 27, 2004.
What about any residual water in the tank or gas from the pump to begin with?
HYDROMAROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2011, 04:31 AM   #23
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROMAROC View Post
What about any residual water in the tank or gas from the pump to begin with?
Anything is possible (almost), which is why I need the engine for inspection. I haven't yet discounted the ethanol content of the fuel, which can be up to 10% for regular grade here but rarely exceeds 5% in premium.
Member #1,315

Old 13 March 2011, 04:35 AM   #24
MonBK
Banned

Are you permitted to elaborate on the case Al?

For instance, who claims the damage is by sugar and not something else?
Old 13 March 2011, 04:45 AM   #25
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Are you permitted to elaborate on the case Al?

For instance, who claims the damage is by sugar and not something else?

Yep, no gag. The defendant pleaded guilty to vandalizing someone else's bike by putting sugar in the tank. Not sure what the sentence was. The owner's insurance company is now after him in civil court for the cost of the engine & labour. At the end of the day, it just might turn out that the sugar was a contributing factor. I'll have to peel the engine down to find out.

All things considered, he's probably lucky that he's able to make an appearance. I understand that HD owners tend to get a bit miffed when their rides are vandalized.
Member #1,315

Old 13 March 2011, 04:54 AM   #26
theloxmyth
Banned

Isn't there a LOCK on/in the gas cap?!

Some have them and some don't.

(Thinking outside the "circle.")
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2011, 11:28 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It should be interesting to know the results and the extent of the "damage" (rings, cylinders, pistons or bearings) and it's final cause.

It could also be ineresting to know if the owner was using any octane boosters or other additives in his fuel as some tend to do..

Keep us updated......... and don't forget the photos......
Old 13 March 2011, 12:28 PM   #28
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It should be interesting to know the results and the extent of the "damage" (rings, cylinders, pistons or bearings) and it's final cause.

It could also be ineresting to know if the owner was using any octane boosters or other additives in his fuel as some tend to do..

Keep us updated......... and don't forget the photos......
I don't know any HD rider that doesn't use octane booster.
Old 13 March 2011, 12:38 PM   #29
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
You need the key in order to open the gas tank, so that leads me to believe that either the owner did this (there is no self respecting Harley owner that could ever bring themselves to do this to their own bike) or it was done while at service. I would cry, thats all I really know for sure.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2011, 12:46 PM   #30
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
This is exciting. I'm looking forward to hearing about the teardown.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote