The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 November 2020, 02:46 PM   #61
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
You could buy a Rolex or two for what many spend on cigarettes over a few years.
This! Is an excellent point.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 05:08 PM   #62
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Why? Did someone hurt your feelings?
Nah
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 08:24 PM   #63
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I started smoking as a teenager. In the beginning I did so only when I drank but with any habit it turned into something I did even when not drinking. Like others said it was something everybody did back in the day. Moms and Dads did it and kids in grade school got into trouble for doing it.

The good thing when I did it it didn't cost so much to do it. In fact when stationed in Korea in 83 it cost only $3.00 a carton for Marlboros in the commissary. Some kind of deal where those cartons of cigarettes' didn't get the tax stamp. The Bad thing was it didn't cost much. It was fairly easy to smoke two to three packs a day.

I quit twice. The biggest mistake was picking up the habit the second time but it's been about fifteen years now since quitting cold turkey the last time. I just got tired of it. I looked at the last cigarettes' and it did nothing for me and I was tired of the smell and all the other problems it caused me. I threw out the last pack and I just stopped. In fact when people ask me how I stopped I just tell them I decided not to do it any longer.

Do I tell others it's bad for them, yes I do. I don't think I get up on the soap box or preach too much but I will mention how glad I am that I quit. I just can't believe how much it cost for a carton of cigarettes' nowadays. That alone would give me great pause and that besides health is the biggest thing I bring up when talking to smokers.

What those cigarette companies did back in the day to hook people on cigarettes' on sickens me to this day. I thank god everyday I'm not like them. I have no problem looking at myself in the mirror and count my lucky starts. Maybe they don't either but I'm glad I'm not like them. I'm not perfect but I have a conscious. Life in prison or even death by hanging would be too light of a sentence for them. To make money off of other peoples lives and misery like they did is simply unforgiveable.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 08:57 PM   #64
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

I smoked Marlboro and Newport for 10 years. Quit cold turkey 2 years ago just to buy a rolex, and don't plan on going back to smoking cigarettes. I still smoke, only ganja now. Its amazing the money I've saved from not smoking 2 packs a day.

Sent from my balloon knot
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 10:03 PM   #65
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
I smoked Marlboro and Newport for 10 years. Quit cold turkey 2 years ago just to buy a rolex, and don't plan on going back to smoking cigarettes. I still smoke, only ganja now. Its amazing the money I've saved from not smoking 2 packs a day.

Sent from my balloon knot
Buy a dry herb vaporiser for your ganja, it is much better than smoking it.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 11:11 PM   #66
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
Unfortunately or fortunately (however you want to look at it), I think in the end it mostly comes down to genes. I'm not condoning smoking; just known smokers who lived to old age, and non smokers who died young, some from lung cancer.
That's the conundrum, but in the end, your chances of developing lung cancer, COPD, having a stroke, or suffering from coronary heart desease, all go up by very large factors when you smoke. The numbers are indisputable.

Still, some heavy smokers do manage to cheat the hangman, but the odds are stacked high against them.
Old 28 November 2020, 12:07 AM   #67
Bluebirdwatch1
"TRF" Member

Smoked one of my friends grandpas camel non filter and never again. Hit the back of my throat so hard! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluebirdwatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:22 AM   #68
Ruddiger
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Howdy,

I was even dumber than most as I didn't really start cigarettes until I was a sophomore in college so I CLEARLY knew better.

I tried to quit many times and promised myself I would not smoke past my 30th birthday. Thankfully I pulled it off a day or two before my 30th. Like many here I am ashamed and regretful over every one I did smoke.

SOOOOO damn stupid......

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:47 AM   #69
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
In January, 1966, my dad developed pain in his upper back and shoulder. It persisted and he finally went to the doctor. The doctor said he thought it was pleurisy, an infection/inflammation of the lining of the lungs, and ordered a chest X-ray to confirm. It turned out to be lung cancer and he died in June at the age of 46. Left six kids, a housewife and $5,000 in life insurance. I was a junior in high school. I went to work at a laundry/dry cleaners from 4:00pm until midnight, unloading the route trucks and counting and sorting the pieces and went to school during the day. He had smoked for 25 years, but had quit two or three years before he got sick. I was a smoker at the time and for the next 10 years smoked a pack a day. In 1976, I developed chest and upper back pain that wouldn't go away. I went to the doctor who said he thought it was pleurisy, but ordered a chest X-ray to confirm. Turned out to be pleurisy but the scare was such that I not only never smoked another cigarette, but I never [I]wanted[I] to smoke another cigarette. Even though my wife continued to smoke for another five years, I was never even tempted. I'm 72 now and there is no doubt in my mind that if I had continued to smoke, I'd have departed the planet a long time ago. Some people continue to smoke even after a bad diagnosis. I'm grateful every day that I was scared out of the habit. Good luck to everyone who smokes but is trying to quit.
Good for you. My understanding is with enough time some/all of the damage to your lungs from smoking can be reversed.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:43 AM   #70
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Good for you. My understanding is with enough time some/all of the damage to your lungs from smoking can be reversed.
I believe this. My wife and I walk 3.5 miles most mornings, up a hill and down and up another hill and down. Couldn't have done that when we smoked.
Old 30 November 2020, 12:49 AM   #71
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Lived on Heineken, candy bars and cigarettes.
I resemble that observation, several decades ago. I bet many former drinkers & smokers, having quit, find themselves with even less "free" time than ever before.

In a couple of centuries we'll wonder why we wasted petrochemicals on transportation. And why we administered stimulants / depressants via inhalation of combustibles.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 03:25 AM   #72
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I started smoking in boot camp, because smokers got a smoke break a couple of times a day and non-smokers got no break. I was 17.

I quit smoking cigarettes and switched to cigars at the age of 46. When I bought my first computer in 2004, I stopped smoking in the house and smoked outside, because smoke is bad for computers.

I got so wrapped up in the internet that I'd forget to take smoke breaks and decided if I was forgetting to take smoke breaks (something cigarette smokers never forget), maybe it was time to stop smoking altogether.

I threw away 200 cigars.

My father stopped smoking in about 1954 or 1955. He developed throat cancer in the early 2000s, which he beat, but then he developed lung cancer, which was discovered in 2009 in stage 4. He was given six months to live and he died six months later at the age of 82.

I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke now, but in the few years after I quit, I was unaffected by it. I can't even stand to be caught at a stoplight with a smoker in an adjacent car with the window open.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:11 AM   #73
Mifune
Banned

Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:14 AM   #74
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Can't you just repair the engine to stop it from smoking.

Some people are just cruel painting that on your bike.

They should be ashamed.
Old 30 November 2020, 07:01 AM   #75
Mifune
Banned

um... that's bubba shoberts actual bike.

oh... in the back ground, those are actually Evel Knievels Leathers.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 07:38 AM   #76
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Buy a dry herb vaporiser for your ganja, it is much better than smoking it.
Pax and good will to you...!
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 05:49 AM   #77
DVILIO
"TRF" Member

I quit smoking 10 years ago , and whenever I think about it , I feel like I dodged. bullet .
DVILIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 03:14 PM   #78
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I started smoking in boot camp, because smokers got a smoke break a couple of times a day and non-smokers got no break. I was 17.

I quit smoking cigarettes and switched to cigars at the age of 46. When I bought my first computer in 2004, I stopped smoking in the house and smoked outside, because smoke is bad for computers.

I got so wrapped up in the internet that I'd forget to take smoke breaks and decided if I was forgetting to take smoke breaks (something cigarette smokers never forget), maybe it was time to stop smoking altogether.

I threw away 200 cigars.

My father stopped smoking in about 1954 or 1955. He developed throat cancer in the early 2000s, which he beat, but then he developed lung cancer, which was discovered in 2009 in stage 4. He was given six months to live and he died six months later at the age of 82.

I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke now, but in the few years after I quit, I was unaffected by it. I can't even stand to be caught at a stoplight with a smoker in an adjacent car with the window open.
Sorry to hear, even at 82 cancer can be a terrible way to go no matter the age. Amazing how most here who quit sound as though they believe just because they quit they are no longer at risk. It doesn't always work that way.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 05:56 PM   #79
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Sorry to hear, even at 82 cancer can be a terrible way to go no matter the age. Amazing how most here who quit sound as though they believe just because they quit they are no longer at risk. It doesn't always work that way.

I know quite a few people that quite over the years and usually it catches up with them over time like COPD and nasty evil things...
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote