The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Snowdog
Banned

Watch: 116613LN Sub
rolex warranty issues

help please...
I am buying a 116613ln from a known seller on this site. I have concerns about the warranty in the future. The card is stamped by an ad but has no name in it. So when I take it in for either refurb or warranty in the future am I going to have issues with Rolex? What if anything should I do, register it somehow, call original AD and ask them to register me? I plan on keeping this one for a long time and I don't want Rolex to tell me, sorry but we can't work on it or tell me its is not covered under the warranty period...
thanks for any help
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 01:31 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
help please...
I am buying a 116613ln from a known seller on this site. I have concerns about the warranty in the future. The card is stamped by an ad but has no name in it. So when I take it in for either refurb or warranty in the future am I going to have issues with Rolex? What if anything should I do, register it somehow, call original AD and ask them to register me? I plan on keeping this one for a long time and I don't want Rolex to tell me, sorry but we can't work on it or tell me its is not covered under the warranty period...
thanks for any help
You will not have any problems and would doubt if you will ever need to use the warranty in the two year warranty period.After the warranty period Rolex will be quite happy to take your money to service the watch, they will not care where it came from or who bought it or need to know.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 01:32 AM   #3
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
As I understand, as long as it has a valid AD stamp on it, you are good to go.
Old 12 September 2012, 01:33 AM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
No worries. We've all been in the same boat with no issues.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I agree with Peter.. You are worrying too much.. If, when received, the watch is not as advertised, return it to the seller and find another one..

As to warranty, it is only 2 years at most, and the chances of anything needing work within warranty are very, very slight. Rolex will work on any authentic Rolex though, you do not need the card for that. The card is only for a manufacturing defect, nothing more..

If you want a valid warranty, belly up to the bar and buy at an AD..
Old 12 September 2012, 01:37 AM   #6
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Simple solution = write your name on the warranty card. You are now the original purchaser!
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 01:52 AM   #7
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Doubtful you will have an issue within the 2 year warranty period. After that Rolex will gladly fix it for a fee. If you are really worried about the warranty buy it new from an AD. If something happens it can be hit or miss if Rolex will cover it under warranty work.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Snowdog
Banned

Thanks a bunch. That makes sense. I was concerned that when I wanted to refurb it in a few years that rolex would do so.

Another question...Can they re-coat the two tone gold too?? And I am sure if yes, for a modest fee right?
Old 12 September 2012, 02:07 AM   #9
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks a bunch. That makes sense. I was concerned that when I wanted to refurb it in a few years that rolex would do so.

Another question...Can they re-coat the two tone gold too?? And I am sure if yes, for a modest fee right?
It is solid gold, there is no coating.
Old 12 September 2012, 02:16 AM   #10
Wehtiko

Watch: Explorer II 216570
Be very careful and ask your AD if they honour the warranty. I seem to be having trouble with a brand new watch.

You buy a company and its dealers, not the product.
Wehtiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 02:19 AM   #11
masterserg
"TRF" Member

The AD does not honor the warranty. Rolex does, as long as it is stamped by a valid AD and it is within the validity period. It does not matter whose name is on the card. It is black and white.
Old 12 September 2012, 02:20 AM   #12
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Strictly speaking, the warranty card has to have the purchaser's name, the AD's stamp and date of purchase to be valid. Some dealerships may not want to get involved, and they won't register the watch for you. The best thing to do is to deal with the RSC directly. As long as the card is dated and stamped, it should be okay, the name isn't as important
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 02:28 AM   #13
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:

The service in several years down the road won't be covered by warranty anyway. Service will be around $700 then. Not sure what coating on the gold you are talking about. As far as I know there is no coating. The watch will be buffed by Rolex during service and will come back looking brand new.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 02:29 AM   #14
supertrooper
"TRF" Member

There are millions of Rolex watches out there with no names on the warranty cards. No problem with Rolex SA when it comes to servicing it or warranty claims as long as you have the warranty card with you.
supertrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 02:41 AM   #15
sportsmaven20
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Strictly speaking, the warranty card has to have the purchaser's name, the AD's stamp and date of purchase to be valid. Some dealerships may not want to get involved, and they won't register the watch for you. The best thing to do is to deal with the RSC directly. As long as the card is dated and stamped, it should be okay, the name isn't as important
The OP said it was stamped by an AD and didn't mention if it was dated. When the 2-year period actually began, on the watch the OP is buying, may have been part of the basis of his question. Many are saying he'll never need to use the 2-year warranty (he most likely won't), but if he does, when did the 2-year period begin if the warranty card is not dated and they don't have original sales receipt?

I would probably have that same question if I purchased a pre-loved Rolex!
sportsmaven20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 03:42 AM   #16
Snowdog
Banned

116613LN
I am talking about the links in the bracelet. because it is two tone, arent they just coated or is the center part somehow solid gold?
Old 12 September 2012, 03:45 AM   #17
Snowdog
Banned

exactly sportsmaven
if i dont have a reciept and there is no date on the card, i would have to find a rolex dealer willing to date it? otherwise im screwed if i needed the warranty
Old 12 September 2012, 03:46 AM   #18
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
116613LN
I am talking about the links in the bracelet. because it is two tone, arent they just coated or is the center part somehow solid gold?
Solid gold. Each link is formed by 3 pieces held together by pins. In your case, the pieces on the edges are stainless and the center is solid gold.
Old 12 September 2012, 03:48 AM   #19
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmaven20 View Post
The OP said it was stamped by an AD and didn't mention if it was dated. When the 2-year period actually began, on the watch the OP is buying, may have been part of the basis of his question. Many are saying he'll never need to use the 2-year warranty (he most likely won't), but if he does, when did the 2-year period begin if the warranty card is not dated and they don't have original sales receipt?

I would probably have that same question if I purchased a pre-loved Rolex!
Well, that's the million dollar question. If there is no date on there at all, I believe Rolex may have the right to refuse warranty as it would be classified as invalid. If you choose to put a date on it, and it seems suspicious (i.e. putting today's date on it after wearing it for a year and a half), then I would think the logical step for them would be to call the AD to which it was originally distributed. The AD would have the sales information on the watch, and it would be easy to find out the true date of when it was first sold. I think this would be where the warranty would start when it is in doubt

This is all theoretical, I might add - it's not a situation I've had to deal with before. If the warranty is a deal maker/breaker, then the best way to be 100% is to get the watch from an AD - that's the tradeoff you have when you buy from a third party
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 03:53 AM   #20
Snowdog
Banned

sounds like i am worrying over nothing anyway
its a V serial and is probably a year old now
so the likelyhood of anything big going wrong in another year is slim
i can just get a full service in a few years right...
Old 12 September 2012, 04:58 AM   #21
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
The AD does not honor the warranty. Rolex does, as long as it is stamped by a valid AD and it is within the validity period. It does not matter whose name is on the card. It is black and white.
it needs a date of purchase as well. if rolex even senses this is an 'open' warranty they will ask for a receipt. it is on the OWNER to prove date of purchase. the warranty card thats stamped MUST have a date of purchase as well. If rolex runs the serial # and finds out some clown bringing in a 7 year old rolex for 'warranty' work it wont fly. just wanted to clarify that rolex are not dummies.

** the 'validity' period you are referring to is dependent on the date of purchase
swiss ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2012, 05:00 AM   #22
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Well, that's the million dollar question. If there is no date on there at all, I believe Rolex may have the right to refuse warranty as it would be classified as invalid. If you choose to put a date on it, and it seems suspicious (i.e. putting today's date on it after wearing it for a year and a half), then I would think the logical step for them would be to call the AD to which it was originally distributed. The AD would have the sales information on the watch, and it would be easy to find out the true date of when it was first sold. I think this would be where the warranty would start when it is in doubt

This is all theoretical, I might add - it's not a situation I've had to deal with before. If the warranty is a deal maker/breaker, then the best way to be 100% is to get the watch from an AD - that's the tradeoff you have when you buy from a third party
Old 12 September 2012, 05:04 AM   #23
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss ghost View Post
it needs a date of purchase as well. if rolex even senses this is an 'open' warranty they will ask for a receipt. it is on the OWNER to prove date of purchase. the warranty card thats stamped MUST have a date of purchase as well. If rolex runs the serial # and finds out some clown bringing in a 7 year old rolex for 'warranty' work it wont fly. just wanted to clarify that rolex are not dummies.

** the 'validity' period you are referring to is dependent on the date of purchase
Correct. That is a given as implied by "validity period".
Old 12 September 2012, 05:07 AM   #24
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:

perhaps discuss your concerns with the seller. see what their opinion is.
Old 12 September 2012, 05:10 AM   #25
sportsmaven20

Quote:

I totally agree with you Chris.
Old 12 September 2012, 05:15 AM   #26
sportsmaven20

Quote:
sounds like i am worrying over nothing anyway
its a V serial and is probably a year old now
so the likelyhood of anything big going wrong in another year is slim
i can just get a full service in a few years right...
For peace of mind, you may want to take the suggestion of Chris (contact the AD to see if they can provide the original date of purchase) or what John has mentioned (contacting the seller). This way you have assurance in the event there is any sort of issue that would fall under the original Rolex warranty.
Old 12 September 2012, 05:18 AM   #27
swiss ghost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Correct. That is a given as implied by "validity period".

just making clear. the thread was kind of alluding to only an AD stamp being required.
Old 12 September 2012, 06:06 AM   #28
Snowdog
Banned

i suppose i can just contact the ad and get a sale date. im sure they could do that much for me and then just write it on the card eh?