The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2017, 04:16 AM   #61
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
A friend of mine made the same career change when he was in his thirties. He loves it and still enjoys working there nearly 15 years later. Surely he's run into some lowlifes and there is an element of danger, but if it's what you want to do, then you should certainly give it a try. Best of luck to you!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 04:24 AM   #62
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
I cannot begin to tell you how many cops that I worked with are divorced, obese, alcoholics, don't talk to their kids or unfortunately took their own life.
True statement but there's a greater amount of cops that aren't the above. Did I get a divorce? Yep. But it had nothing to do with my being a cop. I talk to my kids at least weekly, sometimes more. They are both very busy young adults making their own way in the world. I'm not obese, but I'd admit I can loose a few pounds and I don't drink.

Is it easy to be a cop? F%#k no it isn't.!! If it was easy, anyone could do it. It was the honor of my life to be a cop, I just hated the agency/city I worked for. Would I do it again? Yes. It is a cross between the greatest show on earth and being on stage for the Jerry Springer Show! It was a calling for me and something I wanted to do since I was 8 years old.

For Crystal, best of luck! You are very marketable just about everywhere. At 32, you have some life experience and skills that the younger applicants just don't have. Life got in the way and I didn't start until 34. You're gonna do great if you apply yourself!
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 04:28 AM   #63
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I think it's a great idea for someone who doesn't like doing the same thing everyday. It is a difficult job that takes a good amount of courage and discipline; but if that is what you want, go for it.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 08:05 PM   #64
ChuckFinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719BLRO
In the UK I would say no for the poor salary, poor working conditions and stifling of progression now due to direct entry everything.

In the USA I'd say no for other reasons, one of which is my experience at Washington Police Week, where where the exponential number of deaths is truly horrific.
ChuckFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:59 PM   #65
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
California LEO here... if you're passionate about it and really want a career in law enforcement then go for it. Apply to as many againces as you can to increase your chances of getting picked up. The process can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.

I will say with the climate and the respect for LEOs declining daily in not sure it's a career I would want for my son. People will think you make a decent pay (with overtime of course) but it's relative to the job.

I will tell you what I heard in the academy. Many people can judge a good day at work by sales numbers or how much paperwork they completed... a good day at work for an LEO is coming home alive.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 02:06 PM   #66
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Good for you man!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote