The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2017, 03:14 PM   #31
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
With your positive attitude, I'm sure you will do well! Best of luck tomorrow.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 03:32 PM   #32
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
No risk, no reward! Go for it. And don't listen to what others say about 'cops get no respect'. Yes, they do get respect by many good people who still follow and respect the law.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 04:05 PM   #33
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
You are super courageous. Give it a shot and you can def can go back to the 'safe' job - if you find out the calling was not for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:11 PM   #34
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
and in reference to the background investigation. Tell your investigator everything. Everything.

An omission is considered to be a deception and you will be tubed immediately. With most likely a block from any further opportunity to apply again.

I worked in personnel two hiring cycles and we were not looking for Boy/Girl Scouts just honest people who were responsible.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:28 PM   #35
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Please follow your heart!! My God Father was a police officer and so are his children, our families adore each other.

My path was the military but I have always had a great working relationship with the forces in blue!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:32 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Chase your dreams Crystal! Best of luck to you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:44 PM   #37
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
What Tim said;
As a LEO you can make a difference and do a lot of good for people in need.
Many heroes in blue. Go for it
Old 24 June 2017, 11:01 PM   #38
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
World needs more people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to this. It really does mean a lot to me.

Two of my bests friends are officers and I have pestered them relentlessly before making the decision. I understand that it is extremely difficult and often boring work. I'm a bean counter so anything is a step up in the excitement category. When I was in undergrad I worked in a group home for delinquent teenage boys that also had mental deficits. It was hard. I have had every bodily fluid flung at me and actually worked a whole shift covered in urine. While it was often difficult I found the work to be fulfilling. Perhaps I am naive to think that I can make a difference in this day and age. Regardless, I want to give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 June 2017, 11:04 PM   #39
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Crystal, I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals I could never be a cop, don't have the patience, and truly WOULD never be one, I have had bad experiences with some which... well, leave it at that. However I have the UTMOST of respect for Police Officers, and again, if it is what you want then go and get it!!!

PS. Since you're in CAL, if you ever arrest me, give a fellow TRFer a break
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:47 PM   #40
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Some people are born to be LEOs.
My Daughter is a bright girl and had many options, and tried a few but ultimately sacrificed much bigger salaries to do what she felt called to do.
As parents, we would prefer she do something less risky but she needs to be who she is.
We admire and respect her for being mature enough to follow her heart instead of the almighty dollar. She loves her job. All power to her.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:41 AM   #41
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Crystal, I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals I could never be a cop, don't have the patience, and truly WOULD never be one, I have had bad experiences with some which... well, leave it at that. However I have the UTMOST of respect for Police Officers, and again, if it is what you want then go and get it!!!

PS. Since you're in CAL, if you ever arrest me, give a fellow TRFer a break
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 03:48 AM   #42
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
I think that a career change midstream is a great idea, but Police work is terribly hard on your mental, physical and emotional life. I cannot begin to tell you how many cops that I worked with are divorced, obese, alcoholics, don't talk to their kids or unfortunately took their own life. The stress level is MASSIVE and in today's environment I would not allow my kids to do what I did. Do remember that its a front row ticket to the greatest show on earth, but it comes with a price. There are no holidays, midnight's on Christmas Eve sucks!, sitting with a week old dead body on your birthday, (or on my 25th birthday getting a blackeye from another cop in a street brawl) trying to revive a two month after she was beaten to death by her father or attending another colleagues funeral after they were killed.
I commend you on your decision, but I would seriously contemplate going the Federal route. As an accountant you are marketable to the FBI, Dept of Labor, DEA any many others.
It is Law Enforcement, but in a different capacity and cleaner work.
Good luck on your test and please PM if you'd like, I'd be happy to chat.
Stay Safe
I was about to say this. If you want to catch the big crooks, follow the money. A good accountant can do this and notice patterns that others wouldn't.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 05:05 AM   #43
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
This is a serious career choice and a tough job to do day in and day out. It takes a certain type of person to be able to handle the power, stress and you may surely be one of them. I appreciate our Police and I am thankful for them. Best of Luck!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 05:39 AM   #44
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Not trying to hijack the thread but, today's officers are considered white collar. Our department requires a four year degree and the constant training and recertification is amazing.

That being said, not sure if I'd do it again. The pay is decent, but the benefits are eroding with each new contract. The new guys are 30 and out, I was able to leave after 25. I have to work a part time job to pay for my health care, it went bye bye for me and the family after I retired full time. I could write volumes on why not to do it, and chapters on why to do it. My fellow LEO's spelled it out pretty well already.

With your accounting background you may consider working the road for about 5 years then look into the FBI possibly, they love accounting backgrounds.

Best of luck on your decision.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 05:42 AM   #45
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Crystal, not too late in my opinion. Many agencies have great retirement after 20-25 years.
Not to sound condescending but keep in mind that it's nothing like you see on television. 99 percent boredom with 1 percent pure terror.
The mental stress can take its toll more than the physical stress. Cops see, hear, smell and feel things that most people never will. They are things that stay with you for the rest of your life, that's both fortunate as well as unfortunate.
Wishing you the very best of luck!
Per usual Tim, thoughtful, honest and meaningful post sir!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 05:57 AM   #46
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

I spent 25 years in the game. I'm happily retired and often get asked by friends kids about getting into it. 100% of the time I try to talk them out of it. Once upon a time it was a good job. Most people respected and supported you. 99% of your calls for service were handled with "doing the right thing" as the goal. Now, not so much. You're the bad guy until you prove otherwise. And even then, you're probably still the bad guy. Your calls have to be handled with the utmost concern for doing not what is right, but will be least likely to bite you later.

I'll not go on, but suffice it to say I'm so glad to be retired and not have to deal with today's crap. ESPECIALLY in CA now where almost every crime is treated as an infraction. Run away from this choice.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 06:28 AM   #47
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Congratulations Crystal you should always pursue your dream best of luck

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 07:56 AM   #48
BravoOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
and in reference to the background investigation. Tell your investigator everything. Everything.

An omission is considered to be a deception and you will be tubed immediately. With most likely a block from any further opportunity to apply again.

I worked in personnel two hiring cycles and we were not looking for Boy/Girl Scouts just honest people who were responsible.

Don't most law enforcement jobs these days require a lie detector test?
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:00 AM   #49
BravoOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I was about to say this. If you want to catch the big crooks, follow the money. A good accountant can do this and notice patterns that others wouldn't.
Good advice and I think accounting backgrounds are in high demand within the FBI which as we all have recently can be rather challenging. I have friend who's son is in the FBI and his area of expertise is art. Maybe not everyone's idea of the G Man but pretty darn interesting none the less.

Fake watches anybody?
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:06 AM   #50
James K
"TRF" Member

I'd say go for it if that's what you want. There's always going to be a shortage in today's "dope head" mentality youth. A lot of my colleagues didn't join until they were 40.

ICE also looks for people with accounting backgrounds, they do a lot of financial crime investigation as well.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:45 AM   #51
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
One life. Live it.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 09:55 AM   #52
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread but, today's officers are considered white collar. Our department requires a four year degree and the constant training and recertification is amazing.

That being said, not sure if I'd do it again. The pay is decent, but the benefits are eroding with each new contract. The new guys are 30 and out, I was able to leave after 25. I have to work a part time job to pay for my health care, it went bye bye for me and the family after I retired full time. I could write volumes on why not to do it, and chapters on why to do it. My fellow LEO's spelled it out pretty well already.

With your accounting background you may consider working the road for about 5 years then look into the FBI possibly, they love accounting backgrounds.

Best of luck on your decision.
I was going to say the same thing. Accounting is a gateway to the FBI.
Give them a look.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 10:10 AM   #53
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Per usual Tim, thoughtful, honest and meaningful post sir!
Thanks Marc, that means a lot.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 10:31 AM   #54
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
As it's been said above, a lot of state and federal agencies could use your accounting expertise. FinCEN with Dept of Treasury comes to mind, as well as the Bureau and DHS. Between local, state, and federal; options are endless.

Good luck on your test.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 10:46 AM   #55
GeraldJ19
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko Black Monste
Go for it! Life is short, spend it doing something that makes you happy or trying to find what makes your happy. Parents will get over it with time.

GeraldJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 02:38 PM   #56
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Everyone has given me a lot to think about regarding my accounting background being a gateway to a federal career. I am going to give it some serious thought.

I passed the written exam and will now move on to the oral panel interview. I know I am just at the entrance of this whole long process, but I feel better already just getting the first step out of the way.

Once again, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post, even those with dissenting opinions about law enforcement as a career.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 06:56 PM   #57
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoOne View Post
Don't most law enforcement jobs these days require a lie detector test?
A lot of departments do. Some don't. Mine didn't. They did require a four year degree, written exam, oral interview, physical agility test , a background investigation which takes nearly a year to conduct and requires 36 references. If you can't come up with 36 people that can half ass vouch for you than don't bother. Finally a doctors physical. Then an academy, an advanced academy and 18 months probation under the watchful eye of a Field Training Officer commonly known just as a FTO.

The polygraph is just a tool. It gets more people to sweat than anything. It's inadmissible in all courts. It can be defeated but I won't go into that.
Old 25 June 2017, 09:27 PM   #58
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
A lot of departments do. Some don't. Mine didn't. They did require a four year degree, written exam, oral interview, physical agility test , a background investigation which takes nearly a year to conduct and requires 36 references. If you can't come up with 36 people that can half ass vouch for you than don't bother. Finally a doctors physical. Then an academy, an advanced academy and 18 months probation under the watchful eye of a Field Training Officer commonly known just as a FTO.

The polygraph is just a tool. It gets more people to sweat than anything. It's inadmissible in all courts. It can be defeated but I won't go into that.
Sorry and a psych exam both written and with a Psychiatrist.
Old 25 June 2017, 09:38 PM   #59
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Many federal agencies that would hire you in a heartbeat. PM me for details.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 10:22 PM   #60
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a retired municipal LEO with thirty years of service. I have never been anything but proud. That is for me and my co-workers, both sworn and non-sworn, for the job we had to do. It is difficult on so many levels that it would take more than this forum to explain. I started in uniform patrol, street crimes, narcotics detective, organized crime detective, Sergeant, Lieutenant and then Captain. I had seven co-worker killed by felonious assault during my career and several died from vehicle crashes. I am not sure of the number of suicides but it would be significant. Like everything, your job and exposure changes you and it still impacts me everyday. Some for the better, some for the worst. If I had it to do over again I would have been an accountant and found my fun in life doing things that did not involve LE. But hindsight is 20/20. Follow you heart but also include your head. Good luck with the process and your future.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote