The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 December 2014, 12:37 AM   #1
"TRF" Member

Sizing a Nautilus bracelet (pin version)

Good afternoon,

Could a more knowledgeable member of the forum help with a "how-to" re the above ? The watch in question is a 2014 5712/1a. There's nothing in the manual on how to do it and both the search function on here and Google are letting me down.

A weblink, or a couple of tips, would be very much appreciated indeed.
116680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 12:42 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For me I take to my AD and they do for me as I don't want to scratch or mess it up and well worth the drive and visit for me. Sorry can't help but perhaps someone here can or google maybe demo video on youtube. Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 12:52 AM   #3
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't purchase it from my local Patek boutique so it feels a bit unsporting to take it in to them.

The guides I have found online seem to all be for the version that has screws rather than pins, unfortunately. My guess is that they are just friction fit and I should use the supplied tool to push them out, but am slightly nervous...
Old 18 December 2014, 01:12 AM   #4
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116680 View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I didn't purchase it from my local Patek boutique so it feels a bit unsporting to take it in to them.

The guides I have found online seem to all be for the version that has screws rather than pins, unfortunately. My guess is that they are just friction fit and I should use the supplied tool to push them out, but am slightly nervous...
The tool isn't for pushing the pins out. Also the pins fit inside a tube that is inside the link so when replacing you need to make sure you don't forget the tube or the pin will fall out. Pressure is what keeps the pin in place. Unless you are super careful and somewhat mechanically inclined and have the right tools don't try it yourself, you can easily scratch the bracelet or bend the pins.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 01:29 AM   #5
"TRF" Member

Crikey, thank you, glad I asked !
Old 18 December 2014, 02:04 AM   #6
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WHOEVER SIZES THE BRACELET COMPLETELY COVER THE HEAD AND LUGS WITH THE CLEAR PLASTIC THEY USE ON PIECES IN THE WINDOW TO PREVENT THEM FROM SCRATCHING IT. I am one of three members on here in the last year who had their Nautilus adjusted and ended up with faint hairline scratches on the bezel BEFORE I ever wore the damn thing. I took mine to a recommended watchmaker and even told him to be careful beforehand and it still happened. I wish I would have demanded he use protective plastic but that is what happens when you put your faith in someone else. The other two members had their pieces scratched by ADs.
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 02:13 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

You can do it yourself. All you need is this press pin device and a small hammer. Pretty easy to do.

Just align the bracelet in one of the slots of the base and use a small hammer to hit the press (chrome looking pen) and the pin will come out. The base will stabilize the bracelet and the press will ensure you hit the pin straight on. You can order this tool from Otofrei or Esslinger. Good luck.

Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 02:29 AM   #8
"TRF" Member

Thanks again to all - I share the horror of AD scratches having had the same happen on an IWC a few years ago. Scratches I put on myself on the first day of ownership ? Fine. Scratches put on by someone else ? Not cool.

Vipes - I've just ordered that tool.

Now I just have to sit and wait patiently for DHL...
Old 18 December 2014, 03:04 AM   #9
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116680 View Post
Thanks again to all - I share the horror of AD scratches having had the same happen on an IWC a few years ago. Scratches I put on myself on the first day of ownership ? Fine. Scratches put on by someone else ? Not cool.

Vipes - I've just ordered that tool.

Now I just have to sit and wait patiently for DHL...
Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't mind putting scratches on my watches but I hate it if it's from the AD. Also forgot to mention you may need a small smooth tip pliers to pull the pins out.
Old 18 December 2014, 03:22 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
You can do it yourself. All you need is this press pin device and a small hammer. Pretty easy to do.

Just align the bracelet in one of the slots of the base and use a small hammer to hit the press (chrome looking pen) and the pin will come out. The base will stabilize the bracelet and the press will ensure you hit the pin straight on. You can order this tool from Otofrei or Esslinger. Good luck.

Great info.

2 additional points to consider:

1) do the pins come out only one way or do you have the option of pushing them out toward either side?
Some cheaper watches I have adjusted the bracelet for have directional arrows on the back of the bracelet. The pin can only come out in one direction.

2) are the pins and sleeves designed to be reused once the have been put in place? If I could get the spare pins/sleeves I would probably replace a part like that as a matter of routine.

Best of luck
subtona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 04:06 AM   #11
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Great info.

2 additional points to consider:

1) do the pins come out only one way or do you have the option of pushing them out toward either side?
Some cheaper watches I have adjusted the bracelet for have directional arrows on the back of the bracelet. The pin can only come out in one direction.

2) are the pins and sleeves designed to be reused once the have been put in place? If I could get the spare pins/sleeves I would probably replace a part like that as a matter of routine.

Best of luck
The pins can be inserted in either direction and they can be reused.
Old 18 December 2014, 06:07 AM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
The pins can be inserted in either direction and they can be reused.
Thanks for follow up.
subtona is online now   Reply With Quote