The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2018, 09:27 PM   #1
Audguy
"TRF" Member

Ap @ rrp

What’s the best way to get a watch at RRP say the ap to openworked they have almost doubled in price but I see these watch seller on IG always going Hong Kong and Dubai just wondered if anyone was based out there and if the prices were better and watches are avaible

Thanks
Audguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:36 PM   #2
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
The last time I spoke to a grey dealer here about the 15407st, he wanted USD75k...so not particularly cheap!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:45 PM   #3
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audguy View Post
What’s the best way to get a watch at RRP say the ap to openworked they have almost doubled in price but I see these watch seller on IG always going Hong Kong and Dubai just wondered if anyone was based out there and if the prices were better and watches are avaible

Thanks
Some boutiques will tell you that you need to buy a Tourbillon to get a openworked at MSRP. No thanks!

But there are some stories that disprove this policy (I'm looking at you, Sam.)
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:21 AM   #4
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Some boutiques will tell you that you need to buy a Tourbillon to get a openworked at MSRP. No thanks!

But there are some stories that disprove this policy (I'm looking at you, Sam.)
That’s it single me out!

I know my allocation of one has upset a few people, personally I don’t see why but such is life.

What some people need to understand each boutique/lounge operates individually so just because you are on X’s lists doesn’t mean someone can get on Y’s after you and get the watch sooner, it’s just the way it is!

As we know lists are dynamic and it’s not a case of take a ticket and that’s your turn! If a VIP or someone makes a large initial purchase they get bumped up the list, it’s just the way it is! Maybe that boutique has such a vast VIP list waiting for the openworked unless you buy a tourb etc you will be too far down the list to get one, it’s not perfect but just the way it is I’m afraid.

Don’t hate the player hate the game
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:40 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Buy a bunch of watches at an AP boutique and be polite.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:47 AM   #6
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
That’s it single me out!

I know my allocation of one has upset a few people, personally I don’t see why but such is life.

What some people need to understand each boutique/lounge operates individually so just because you are on X’s lists doesn’t mean someone can get on Y’s after you and get the watch sooner, it’s just the way it is!

As we know lists are dynamic and it’s not a case of take a ticket and that’s your turn! If a VIP or someone makes a large initial purchase they get bumped up the list, it’s just the way it is! Maybe that boutique has such a vast VIP list waiting for the openworked unless you buy a tourb etc you will be too far down the list to get one, it’s not perfect but just the way it is I’m afraid.

Don’t hate the player hate the game
Totally agreed! Sometimes getting moved up the list doesn't equate to dropping $$$, which some people may not like, but for people like me who can't buy watches like groceries and have true passion for these pieces (though I realize it may look like I have been doing so myself in the last month), it gives us a fighting chance and makes the system fairer.

I for one am exceedingly happy for your allocation - a job very well done!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:50 AM   #7
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Buy a bunch of watches at an AP boutique and be polite.
You know what I found just going into the AD/Boutique building up a rapport with the staff helps no end!

Guess in the current climate you get chancers and people with previous purchase history who see how the market is and want in just for the profit..

Also it was nice how a relatively high up AP employee mentioned how happy he was to see me wearing the watch so much and enjoying it, even borrowed it to wear over our lunch meet
Old 22 June 2018, 01:54 AM   #8
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
It comes down to this, whether it is Patek, Rolex or AP;

If the dealer likes you, you will get the watch you want at RRP. If they do not like you you will not get any hot item period.

The more individuals complain about it (here repeatedly on TRF) the much greater chance they will never get any hot piece period.

Many guys shooting themselves in the foot around these parts and there will be no recovery for them as most ADs will not forget what they post here.

Funny I get every single watch I want because I am drama free.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:03 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
It comes down to this, whether it is Patek, Rolex or AP;

If the dealer likes you, you will get the watch you want at RRP. If they do not like you you will not get any hot item period.

The more individuals complain about it (here repeatedly on TRF) the much greater chance they will never get any hot piece period.

Many guys shooting themselves in the foot around these parts and there will be no recovery for them as most ADs will not forget what they post here.

Funny I get every single watch I want because I am drama free.
my AD has no idea about TRF... Nor did the Rolex marketing people at a recent Rolex lunch, nor did the 15 other guests that got invited who actually buy the watches. Its a bubble within a bubble and i highly doubt most anyone has any idea who anyone here is.

I agree though that the biggest factor is the dealer actually liking you. If they cant stand you it doesnt matter how much money you spend.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:22 AM   #10
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my AD has no idea about TRF... Nor did the Rolex marketing people at a recent Rolex lunch, nor did the 15 other guests that got invited who actually buy the watches. Its a bubble within a bubble and i highly doubt most anyone has any idea who anyone here is.

I agree though that the biggest factor is the dealer actually liking you. If they cant stand you it doesnt matter how much money you spend.
My AD(s) and Grey Dealers know TRF very well and they do look often.

It is very easy to figure out who is who Tyler quite quickly.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:35 AM   #11
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
My AD(s) and Grey Dealers know TRF very well and they do look often.

It is very easy to figure out who is who Tyler quite quickly.
There is definitely some totally unaware of the likes of here but those who are is growing!

Two Rolex dealers have told me about flippers this way and another AD has mentioned TRF member by forum name.

On a UK forum a member who was trying to sell a popular Rolex piece before collecting was refused the sale and the thread details off the forum were quoted to them by the AD.

There are some of your keyboard warriors but it would be safe to say some people’s attitude on forum it repeated in day to day life if I was an AD I wouldn’t want their business.
Old 22 June 2018, 07:21 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Now watch dealing is such a money game, people will come here for some basic analysis, just like in any market people are not content to just watch the rising prices they want to know more of the how and why, and that is what this forum provides better than anywhere else.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 11:17 AM   #13
ewdi
"TRF" Member

Go to AP Boutique in Ginza, they will take care of you - if you are paying RRP - it is easier to get from AP own boutique. Wanted a jumbo for my uncle, order it at Ginza AP and got it in 11 days while other ADs told me it would take years. Visited the AP Ginza and saw 15400 (Black and Blue) on the showcase - picked it up right on the spot.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:45 AM   #14
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdi View Post
Go to AP Boutique in Ginza, they will take care of you - if you are paying RRP - it is easier to get from AP own boutique. Wanted a jumbo for my uncle, order it at Ginza AP and got it in 11 days while other ADs told me it would take years. Visited the AP Ginza and saw 15400 (Black and Blue) on the showcase - picked it up right on the spot.
wow that is incrediable.
I have always heard Ginza has great collection, must visit there next time when going to Tokyo.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Audguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdi View Post
Thanks il try ap website says rrp says 49k usd but people are trying to sell them for almost double that
Old 24 June 2018, 04:27 AM   #16
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Thanks il try ap website says rrp says 49k usd but people are trying to sell them for almost double that
Yes they are demanding high premiums at the moment just like a few other are!

UK retail is £37,200 and a well known dealer listed one at £62,995 and it went after a week or so, obviously don’t know price is actually made but considering when I last looked they were around £50k-£55k.

Down to personal choice, I would of entertained a £5k premium and paid it but not the above, might as well get the OR for that! Mind you I’ve seen them now at grey for 2-4K premium.
Old 25 June 2018, 11:01 PM   #17
Audguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes they are demanding high premiums at the moment just like a few other are!

UK retail is £37,200 and a well known dealer listed one at £62,995 and it went after a week or so, obviously don’t know price is actually made but considering when I last looked they were around £50k-£55k.

Down to personal choice, I would of entertained a £5k premium and paid it but not the above, might as well get the OR for that! Mind you I’ve seen them now at grey for 2-4K premium.
Can you share contact details of the seller please?
Old 25 June 2018, 11:23 PM   #18
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Can you share contact details of the seller please?
For what, think you might of misread my post?
Old 25 June 2018, 11:31 PM   #19
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by appa666 View Post
wow that is incrediable.
I have always heard Ginza has great collection, must visit there next time when going to Tokyo.
They do. I bought both my ceramic diver and RG44 there when both were considered “hot” at that time. Also in Japan, buying tax free is easy, just show your passport and automatically get a 8% off. No hassle with tax refunds. As for their inventory, Not sure about recently as haven’t visit for more than a year.
Old 26 June 2018, 12:34 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
You know what I found just going into the AD/Boutique building up a rapport with the staff helps no end!

Guess in the current climate you get chancers and people with previous purchase history who see how the market is and want in just for the profit..

Also it was nice how a relatively high up AP employee mentioned how happy he was to see me wearing the watch so much and enjoying it, even borrowed it to wear over our lunch meet
I believe it. Unfortunately for me my nearest boutique is 400 miles away as is my Patek AD. My Rolex AD is about 80 miles away. Makes it more challenging to keep a report without being annoying.

As a rule I don’t ever contact my people unless it’s about business. The last thing I want to do is be annoying. We all know this is really just business at day’s end for them.
Old 26 June 2018, 06:45 AM   #21
ragsk
Banned

Do boutiques not discount at all full stop? Even on less popular models like the Millenary?
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 08:59 AM   #22
Audguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For what, think you might of misread my post?
You know someone selling with a 2-4K mark up on rrp?
Old 26 June 2018, 04:25 PM   #23
SC11
Banned

Quote:
You know someone selling with a 2-4K mark up on rrp?
The OR that is not the ST which I believe you are interested in.
Old 27 June 2018, 09:38 PM   #24
Audguy
"TRF" Member

Ah sorry I didn’t realise yes I’m looking for the ST model
Old 27 June 2018, 09:45 PM   #25
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Ah sorry I didn’t realise yes I’m looking for the ST model
No worries I was stating the ST price has risen to near that of the OR (retail) but even seen they have started to demand a premium from dealers!
Old 27 June 2018, 11:04 PM   #26
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
I was in an AD in Bedford that I have never used before not so long ago, just introducing myself and looking at stock and he actually asked me if I am on TRF and what my user name was. I’d suggest he was trying to
Figure out if I am genuine or flipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote