The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2018, 11:00 PM   #181
Tbonewalk
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yeah, I mean, what you essentially have is a Rolex DJ case and bracelet with with a slightly different dial and ETA movement. It's a bit like buying a current Lotus with their fantastic and reliable Toyota-based engines.
Thank you for your views on the Tudor! I sense top quality- Rolex quality in the case, hands and dial. This one has the Rolex crown too. And I love the acrylic crystal. I feel it is kind of warmer and maybe less bling. The bracelet fits, feels and looks great, but I sense a lower quality; am I correct here? It fits but barely, and I think it has all the links. From what I gather changing links or especially adding them on a folded link bracelet is difficult. Some running issues that I will mention, but overall happy with this watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1787.jpg (178.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1790.jpg (119.6 KB, 129 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:47 AM   #182
douglasf13
"TRF" Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Douglas
Location: USA
Watch: Date+Day
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
Thank you for your views on the Tudor! I sense top quality- Rolex quality in the case, hands and dial. This one has the Rolex crown too. And I love the acrylic crystal. I feel it is kind of warmer and maybe less bling. The bracelet fits, feels and looks great, but I sense a lower quality; am I correct here? It fits but barely, and I think it has all the links. From what I gather changing links or especially adding them on a folded link bracelet is difficult. Some running issues that I will mention, but overall happy with this watch.
Yeah, I had to have a permanent folded link removed on mine, which can be done, but certainly isn't easy like the modern stuff. While these old bracelets don't have the (over?)build quality of the new stuff, I love how light and comfortable they are.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:56 AM   #183
douglasf13
"TRF" Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Douglas
Location: USA
Watch: Date+Day
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yeah, I mean, what you essentially have is a Rolex DJ case and bracelet with with a slightly different dial and ETA movement. It's a bit like buying a current Lotus with their fantastic and reliable Toyota-based engines.
Speaking of the "Toyota" engine in my Tudor, I had quite a surprise yesterday. I was near my local watch maker, so I popped in and had him regulate my 76200, like I've done for several of my other watches. Well, when I returned to pick up the watch after the regulation, his timegrapher reported an overall variation of...0.0 seconds!

Now, I've had all kinds of watches regulated, from an Exp II, DJ and SubDate, to a Co-Axial, to a basic ETA 2824-2, etc., and I've NEVER had the thing come back exactly dead on. Anything under 2 seconds is fine by me, and 1 second usually fantastic, but 0.0?!?!

Now, sure, the positional variance of this ETA Tudor isn't going to be amazingly stable like the new Tudor in-house movements, which may be among the best ever made in that regard, but the 0.0 overall score is fantastic. Plus, sitting face up, which is how I rest the watch at night, it only gains 0.2 seconds, so I can't wait to see how the thing looks in a month.

It's only been a day or so, but it's still spot on at the moment.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 03:10 AM   #184
wickets
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: nj
Watch: Tudor 76200
Posts: 23
Mine arrived today. And thanks to opawlows for the lume info. Much appreciated. I'm not allowed to post pics yet.

Now to get a leather band on it!
wickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 04:06 AM   #185
opawlows
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GTA,Canada
Watch: 16622 16610LV BBR
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickets View Post
Mine arrived today. And thanks to opawlows for the lume info. Much appreciated. I'm not allowed to post pics yet.

Now to get a leather band on it!
Not a problem. Can't wait to see some pics of your new DD!
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:36 AM   #186
goyo
2018 Pledge Member
 
goyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 442
Awesome to hear !

Tudor's ETA comes as a Top grade with a modified balance. KIF shock absorbers and a Triovis regulator instead of the regular ETA.

Top grade means the balance has a higher grade hairspring, higher grade pallet fork and is regulated to within COSC specs without being COSC certified. Also it is absolutely gorgeous to look at since the movement is ully perlage decorated.

Rolex has been using the KIF system for quite some time. Also other brands such as Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, JLC etc have used it. The main difference is that the Incabloc has two contact points on the jewel bearing, whereas KIF has three. What this means is a better equipped to survive harder impacts. The three contact points are also evenly spread so it technically self aligns itself !!! Pretty dang cool.! And by the way, so you don't feel left out because she does not have a "Rolex" movement, the great caliber 3135 has two KIF applications. ! :-)

And a picture... Of course !

Cheers.

G.





Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Speaking of the "Toyota" engine in my Tudor, I had quite a surprise yesterday. I was near my local watch maker, so I popped in and had him regulate my 76200, like I've done for several of my other watches. Well, when I returned to pick up the watch after the regulation, his timegrapher reported an overall variation of...0.0 seconds!

Now, I've had all kinds of watches regulated, from an Exp II, DJ and SubDate, to a Co-Axial, to a basic ETA 2824-2, etc., and I've NEVER had the thing come back exactly dead on. Anything under 2 seconds is fine by me, and 1 second usually fantastic, but 0.0?!?!

Now, sure, the positional variance of this ETA Tudor isn't going to be amazingly stable like the new Tudor in-house movements, which may be among the best ever made in that regard, but the 0.0 overall score is fantastic. Plus, sitting face up, which is how I rest the watch at night, it only gains 0.2 seconds, so I can't wait to see how the thing looks in a month.

It's only been a day or so, but it's still spot on at the moment.
goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 05:30 AM   #187
douglasf13
"TRF" Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Douglas
Location: USA
Watch: Date+Day
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo View Post
Awesome to hear !

Tudor's ETA comes as a Top grade with a modified balance. KIF shock absorbers and a Triovis regulator instead of the regular ETA.

Top grade means the balance has a higher grade hairspring, higher grade pallet fork and is regulated to within COSC specs without being COSC certified. Also it is absolutely gorgeous to look at since the movement is ully perlage decorated.

Rolex has been using the KIF system for quite some time. Also other brands such as Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, JLC etc have used it. The main difference is that the Incabloc has two contact points on the jewel bearing, whereas KIF has three. What this means is a better equipped to survive harder impacts. The three contact points are also evenly spread so it technically self aligns itself !!! Pretty dang cool.! And by the way, so you don't feel left out because she does not have a "Rolex" movement, the great caliber 3135 has two KIF applications. ! :-)

And a picture... Of course !

Cheers.

G.
Thanks!

I was aware of the Tudor changes to the ETA, and I find it a little funny that, despite missing the 3 hallmarks of a Rolex movement (free sprung balance, overcoil and full balance bridge,) this Tudor ETA is running better than anything else I've owned from Rolex or any other company.

I don't normally care too much about accuracy, but, since the watchmaker nailed it at 0.0, I'm having a little fun testing it out with a watch app. I've been wearing it 24/7, and it's currently running at +.2 seconds per day, which is outrageously good. I've never had another mechanical that close to zero. We'll see if it holds.

p.s. I recently learned that the 2nd KIF unit over the 3135's escape wheel is actually called a KIF Duofix, and it isn't really a shock absorber. It's just a more convenient way of holding the jewel in place vs. little screws.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 10:11 AM   #188
goyo
2018 Pledge Member
 
goyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 442
Totally !

Hey... Speaking of great movements... How about some modern yet vintage ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Thanks!

I was aware of the Tudor changes to the ETA, and I find it a little funny that, despite missing the 3 hallmarks of a Rolex movement (free sprung balance, overcoil and full balance bridge,) this Tudor ETA is running better than anything else I've owned from Rolex or any other company.

I don't normally care too much about accuracy, but, since the watchmaker nailed it at 0.0, I'm having a little fun testing it out with a watch app. I've been wearing it 24/7, and it's currently running at +.2 seconds per day, which is outrageously good. I've never had another mechanical that close to zero. We'll see if it holds.

p.s. I recently learned that the 2nd KIF unit over the 3135's escape wheel is actually called a KIF Duofix, and it isn't really a shock absorber. It's just a more convenient way of holding the jewel in place vs. little screws.
goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 12:22 AM   #189
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: VA
Watch: JLC Reverso
Posts: 433
Excellent review. Many thanks. is the case size 38 or 36? I've read both for the Prince DD.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 12:32 AM   #190
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member
 
DramaTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Real Name: Alex
Location: Niagara Falls
Watch: Subby Subs
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Excellent review. Many thanks. is the case size 38 or 36? I've read both for the Prince DD.
The Prince DD is actually closer to 35mm, similar to classic DJ's. I just bought myself a second one; same config as Adam's!
__________________
Rolex 16610LV Kermit
Rolex 16570 Polar Ex2
Tudor 76200 DD
Omega 231.10 Skyfall
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 04:49 AM   #191
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: VA
Watch: JLC Reverso
Posts: 433
Thanks DT.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 10:27 AM   #192
Old Expat Beast
Moderator & 2018 RED-SD43 Patron
 
Old Expat Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Adam
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 19,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Excellent review. Many thanks. is the case size 38 or 36? I've read both for the Prince DD.
Thank you. My digital caliper says 36mm, as does the Tudor website Note, also, the updated reference number. Not sure if only 76200 is still used on the case now, but I guess so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg dddd.jpeg (80.4 KB, 69 views)
__________________
IG: oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 10:16 AM   #193
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: VA
Watch: JLC Reverso
Posts: 433
HI Old Expat,

Thanks. It seems as if the older models are 38-39.

https://www.christies.com/features/T...ed-5745-1.aspx

Best,
Argo
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 10:22 AM   #194
Old Expat Beast
Moderator & 2018 RED-SD43 Patron
 
Old Expat Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Adam
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 19,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
HI Old Expat,

Thanks. It seems as if the older models are 38-39.

https://www.christies.com/features/T...ed-5745-1.aspx

Best,
Argo
Yes, the earliest ("Jumbo") ones were, but the 76200 and other 76 series are 36mm, and have been since the 1990s
__________________
IG: oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 01:11 PM   #195
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: VA
Watch: JLC Reverso
Posts: 433
HI Old Expat,

I appreciate the heads up. I'm new to the Tudor universe, and am grateful for the steer,.

Best,
TA
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 02:50 PM   #196
Old Expat Beast
Moderator & 2018 RED-SD43 Patron
 
Old Expat Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Adam
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 19,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
HI Old Expat,

I appreciate the heads up. I'm new to the Tudor universe, and am grateful for the steer,.

Best,
TA
My pleasure
__________________
IG: oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 02:39 AM   #197
douglasf13
"TRF" Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Douglas
Location: USA
Watch: Date+Day
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Thank you. My digital caliper says 36mm, as does the Tudor website Note, also, the updated reference number. Not sure if only 76200 is still used on the case now, but I guess so.
I believe it's 36mm if you measure a little diagonally and exclude the crown, which still gets a sliver of the midcase in there, but the bezel alone is closer to 35mm.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 07:52 AM   #198
Old Expat Beast
Moderator & 2018 RED-SD43 Patron
 
Old Expat Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Adam
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 19,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I believe it's 36mm if you measure a little diagonally and exclude the crown, which still gets a sliver of the midcase in there, but the bezel alone is closer to 35mm.
Yes, Argonaut was asking about the case, and that's what I measured. The bezel is of course slightly smaller.
__________________
IG: oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 10:23 AM   #199
douglasf13
"TRF" Member
 
douglasf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Douglas
Location: USA
Watch: Date+Day
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Yes, Argonaut was asking about the case, and that's what I measured. The bezel is of course slightly smaller.
Yeah, I was just trying to clear up why DramaTurtle said the watch was closer to 35mm. It sounds like he was thinking in terms of the bezel.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 04:03 PM   #200
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member
 
mikkolopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,850
Some 2tone goodness




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
At my age now ...
I have SEEN everything,
I have HEARD everything,
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:41 AM   #201
wickets
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: nj
Watch: Tudor 76200
Posts: 23
here's one of mine

wickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 07:33 PM   #202
Tbonewalk
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 436
bracelet

mine is from 1986 and the bracelet is snug. I may want to try another bracelet. Will Rolex replacements fit this one, 6248-20 code on clasp... thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (91.9 KB, 10 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.