The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 September 2023, 03:31 AM   #1
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

How To Buy A Rolex Watch?

Please don't take the following as a complaint...I'm genuinely looking for some guidance from someone who has "cracked the code" before me, or someone who can offer suggestions that I'm not smart enough to have thought about.

My story:

I've wanted to own a Rolex watch "when I grow up" since I was a kid (for very personal reasons I won't go into here).

Fast forward 40 years and I'm the CEO of a company in Europe (living in NW Germany as a US expatriate).

I started visiting the AD in Oldenburg (Juweliere Mahlberg-Meyer) on the weekends. I was interested in an Air King or a Datejust. After a number of visits, I managed to get the salesperson to say the quiet part out loud. "No, there really is no list, and no, you are not getting a watch from us". That was discouraging and crushed a lifelong dream, but I was thankful that at least he was honest. I wondered if it was because I am an American and therefore won't be a lifelong Germany resident and customer for them.

After retiring from my CEO job, I came home to Michigan. I had substantial net worth (CEO golden parachute) and wanted to begin collecting Rolex watches. I would have been willing to spend $100k to buy 5-6 watches so that I could have a rotation to wear during the week.

I started visiting two ADs, Tappers Jewelry and Rottermond Jewelers (suburbs of Detroit). I was still looking to break the ice with that first Datejust or Air King. A year or two later, no watch.

Now I live in NW Florida (retired here). My closest AD is Jewelers Trade Shop. I'm "on the list" for a bluesy 16613LB which is a little more expensive and so I have heard that it's easier to get? More than a year later, still no watch.

I'm ready to buy the bluesy from the grey market, and then just give up on Rolex entirely after that. My problem is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell a real Rolex from a "super fake" and I don't want to be taken advantage of.

My questions for you all:

1) How do I crack the code with an AD? FYI - I'm not going to buy a bunch of jewelry I don't want to hope to be "allowed" to buy a Rolex, but if someone will sell me a Rolex watch collection, I am a $100,000 customer over the next couple years.

2) If grey market is my only option, how do you GUARANTEE yourself that you didn't buy a very well executed fake?

3) If I give up on Rolex entirely, what brand would all of you Rolex fans say is the best investment watch and similar in quality (a watch worth putting in my will for my sons)?

Thanks in advance!
FinanceProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 06:42 AM   #2
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I've been to that AD as someone who's within easy driving distance. They were friendly and acted like they'd get me a watch, but when I checked in a couple months later, it wasn't a warm reception like the first time. I've read where some people have had some great luck there. just depends.
Also, the 16613LB has been long discontinued.
To answer your questions...
1.) Your statement is contradictory to me, but I would suggest you go ahead and tell your AD of choice that you're going to be a loyal and very lucrative customer. It's also important to make regular visits and/or check-ins. Maybe make a small purchase (bracelet, earrings, etc...).
2.) Buy from a trusted seller with a solid reputation. If you get something like the two tone watch, the weight is going to be a very easy tell.
3.) Any number of brands. And what does value matter if you're buying to pass down? You're trying to pass down their dad's watch that he liked. Get what you want. Patek, Audermars, Vacheron, Omega--any number of things.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 06:47 AM   #3
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Dont waste precious time
Call Takuya and get it on your wrist at very small premium the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 06:49 AM   #4
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Be sincere and professional and express that you want a datejust for daily user, I am sure they can get you DJ.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 06:55 AM   #5
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I've been to that AD as someone who's within easy driving distance. They were friendly and acted like they'd get me a watch, but when I checked in a couple months later, it wasn't a warm reception like the first time. I've read where some people have had some great luck there. just depends.
1.) Your statement is contradictory to me, but I would suggest you go ahead and tell your AD of choice that you're going to be a loyal and very lucrative customer. It's also important to make regular visits and/or check-ins. Maybe make a small purchase (bracelet, earrings, etc...).
2.) Buy from a trusted seller with a solid reputation. If you get something like the two tone watch, the weight is going to be a very easy tell.
3.) Any number of brands. And what does value matter if you're buying to pass down? You're trying to pass down their dad's watch that he liked. Get what you want. Patek, Audermars, Vacheron, Omega--any number of things.
I may have the number code wrong in my message above.

What I've asked for is the two-tone submariner (steel and gold) with the blue dial (the one referred to as the bluesy).

My understanding is that two-tone watches have lower demand due to the higer price and so this one is supposed to be a little easier to get. Mayb that too is incorrect information (source: internet/youtube/etc.)

What I do know is that I am a buyer (not a flipper), I have the money, I'm a "watch guy" that will keep it and pass it on to my sons one day, I would spend a lot more building a collection if the opportunity were there.

But here I am 4 years and 4 ADs later, and still no watch. What's the secret? Is it truly that you have to buy diamond rings and necklaces first? If so, I'm out.
Old 10 September 2023, 07:15 AM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Problem is that buying a bunch of Rolex does not make him a “lucrative customer”, buying high-margin jewelry and watches the AD has trouble selling does. But as OP has made clear to us and presumably the AD he is not interested in that, hence the impasse.

AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 07:17 AM   #7
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
I cant believe your having an issue getting a Datejust, can understand the sports watches but Datejusts.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 07:21 AM   #8
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
Dont waste precious time

I'm new to the forums (in fact, the above was my first post) so I'm afraid I don't know who Takuya is. I would be willing to go grey market at this point.

However, this is my fear: In the later years of my career, I made somewhat frequent trips to places like Turkey and China. One of the things I discovered is that there are a zillion cheap fakes out there, but I also learned that if you would spend $500-$800 there are some outstandingly good fakes.

I have avoided the grey market, not because of the additional $1,000 in the price, but because I'm afraid I'll get a $16,000 fake.

How do people ensure they know what they're getting? If people like Lil Baby, Neymar and John Mayer who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in places like New York's diamond district with supposed reputable dealers get fakes, how is an average person to know?

If I could have 100% certainty, I'd just go pay the premium and buy the watches that I want.
Old 10 September 2023, 07:27 AM   #9
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjb88 View Post
I cant believe your having an issue getting a Datejust, can understand the sports watches but Datejusts.
The Datejust I wanted originally was the 41mm, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet (in steel), and there are several dial colors that I would have been happy with, but if I could choose whatever I wanted, it would have been the bright blue set with diamonds.

My understanding is that the diamond faces are actually less desirable, but I like them.
Old 10 September 2023, 07:32 AM   #10
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Don’t buy watches from jewelry stores. They are about selling jewelry and Rolexes are prizes for jewelry customers. Greys like Jomashop and Alan Furman are safe for new watches. And we have reliable trusted sellers here. Just pay market and feel good not having to step into a lame jewelry store, IMO.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 07:48 AM   #11
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
Dont waste precious time

This
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 08:00 AM   #12
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Problem is that buying a bunch of Rolex does not make him a “lucrative customer”, buying high-margin jewelry and watches the AD has trouble selling does. But as OP has made clear to us and presumably the AD he is not interested in that, hence the impasse.

You're right. I read it wrong. Yeah, OP, why would an AD sell you an $100k watch collection when they could get a customer to spend $100k on other items to buy just one watch?
You're going to need to just go grey at this point.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 08:02 AM   #13
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
This
Who is Takuya?

How do I find this person?
Old 10 September 2023, 08:12 AM   #14
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1) Sorry, it's a 126613LB (fat finger)

2) I'm new to this forum. I see comments about "trusted sellers". As a "noob", how do I know who is trusted? Is there a list in the forums somewhere?

3) Value matters because I've taught my sons to make wise investments. Vintage Rolex watches (even a common watch that isn't anything special) in good working order and well cared for go up in value over time. I don't know that all brands do that. I'm pretty sure my Seiko Kinetic and my Swiss Army won't.
Old 10 September 2023, 08:21 AM   #15
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
1. You don’t want to play and buy silly stuff than forget the AD route or keep
waiting for an indefinite period of time.

2. Buy exclusively from one of the boutique sellers in the for sale section for a
100% worry free transaction. Tons of positive feedback.
A bit more expensive than regular grey pricing but no head ache is worth it.

3. Forget about AP, Patek, Vacheron or even Lange. These all have hot models for
which you have to sacrifice your self esteem, just as with Rolex.

Grand Seiko comes to mind, very high quality with an immaculate finishing which can compete with the top Suisse brands and easily obtainable.
JLC or Blancpain are no slough either and easy to get.
Old 10 September 2023, 08:24 AM   #16
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Simple just go grey
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 09:11 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceProf View Post
Who is Takuya?

How do I find this person?
Go to the sub-forum "Rolex watches for Sale" and click on the boutiques. Takuya is one of the boutiques. He also has a website where it may be easier to see his current inventory without browsing through all the threads.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 09:24 AM   #18
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

If you wish not to wait, get from the trusted and reputable sellers here in the forum.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 09:47 AM   #19
slide13
"TRF" Member

The AD thing seems to vary a lot by market, but if you can visit some smaller markets and just be patient it does happen. I am not a big spender by any stretch, any Rolex is a huge purchase for me, and since 2018 I’ve gotten or been offered an Exp I, OP39, OP41, DJ41, Exp II, and finally my current watch (which did take a couple years) a Sub Date.

My advice, pick one watch per AD. I don’t think asking for multiple references is helpful.

Or yeah, just go grey. Lots of solid grey sellers and as someone already said, Takuya is tops and you can be confident buying from him.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 10:42 AM   #20
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Not meant to be rude, but are you a likable person?

It's hard to believe you couldn't land a fairly basic watch across multiple ADs over a few years. Only thing I can think of is you may be offputting to the ADs for some reason. Again, not meant as an insult at all, just something to think about. Whether the AD sales people are right or not, is there a chance that they perceive you as something you aren't, or something you don't realize?
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 10:48 AM   #21
datdude321
"TRF" Member

I live in Central FL and have documented my frustration of this "wait list". Truth be told, after 2.5 years I got the call this week and just got my first new Rolex. I went grey prior using DavidSW in Orlando and they have plenty of options in all brands and styles. Very nice people, but you pay grey prices. I was able to haggle $500 off the cost of my 16710. Good luck!
datdude321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:25 AM   #22
chumbleflea
"TRF" Member

Takuya is the best. No nonsense and straight up 100% legit. You can find him in the for sale section on the forum. Literally has 1000s of positive reviews.
chumbleflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:33 AM   #23
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

I phoned every week for 2 months.

"HI, I am ... from ... city. I want to buy an Air King. Did you receive one?".

After 2 months a salesman called me back and said "I will sell you one so you'll stop calling!"

And I got it since.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:38 AM   #24
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Datejust and TT Sub aren't that hard to get. You should visit your local Rolex Boutique and express your interest and visit them at least once a month, not too long (within 6 months), you should be able to get one of that.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:43 AM   #25
Marc1310
"TRF" Member

That 100k should crack the code
Marc1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:46 AM   #26
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Yep, second what a lot of people are saying here. Sad to say but having a 100K to spend on Rolexes doesn't necessarily make you a desirable customer. Maybe if you find the right boutique and maybe if you are willing to buy something less desirable as well. Lots of people are recommended trusted sellers like Takuya (and there are a few others) and I concur that's the way to go. You can also get exactly what you want; these folks have a network too. It's a better use of your time to develop a relationship with someone who does want to work with you. After all, you can never have the wasted time back. And 100% you will be getting a genuine Rolex from these people.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 12:08 PM   #27
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
How To Buy A Rolex Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
Datejust and TT Sub aren't that hard to get. You should visit your local Rolex Boutique and express your interest and visit them at least once a month, not too long (within 6 months), you should be able to get one of that.

I agree, a datejust is one of the easier Rolex watches to get. Especially now, go back they will probably get you one within days/weeks if not on the spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 12:25 PM   #28
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Rolex watches an AD will sell all of them one way or another to someone. It might be you for a lot of time and energy, or you can contact a trusted seller here and have them source exactly what you want if they don’t have it in stock.

That said, I didn’t buy from a trusted seller until I had many pieces already. There is some peace of mind getting new from an AD as after that you gain familiarity with a new watch and all the stuff that comes with it, how it’s sent, etc…
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 12:32 PM   #29
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

A CEO that doesn’t know how to buy a watch…
:)
What a BS!
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 12:32 PM   #30
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

You are in Florida - home to one of the best gray dealers. You can buy with ease and confidence from DavidSW. You can check the forum, google, or just about anywhere and learn they are a great business.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote