The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 March 2010, 12:50 PM   #91
elgatonegro

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Icon14 Sony Cybershot Tx-1

A few months back I were astonished with the impressive features of the Sony Cybershot Tx-1 most especially its capability of getting clear and vibrant pictures even in low light. Now just a few months after comes the Sony Tx-7 and as expected a better and improved point and shoot 10.2 megapixel digital camera ready to impress us once again.

It comes in a sleek, clean and glossy aluminum finish and like its predecessor, it is compact and its design is minimalist. The front has the usual slide cover that now appears to be flat unlike that of the curved slide cover of the Tx-1.

It smoothly slides downward automatically powering up the camera revealing the 25 mm wide angle Carl Zeiss Tessar with 4x optical zoom lens at the left side. It enables you to take closer pictures of your subject even at a distance. The AF illuminator or autofocus illuminator (allows the camera to focus on low light) is on the right beside the lens together with the flash and microphones.

Just like the Tx-1, Tx-7 is likewise sleek and clean. It basically has the same physical buttons; only this time it has a movie button added and the zoom button tucked at the edge on the right corner angle. Moving on to the back you will see the 3.5” LCD screen that basically takes up most of the back’s surface area.

Unlike previous T series, the Tx-7 comes with a small pen/stylus for its touchscreen. I personally haven’t used it, as I don’t really see the need of using one. The touchscreen, although it is resistive, is fairly sensitive and intuitive; hence, it is so easy to use.

With just one touch, you have access to the Menu and viewing/scrolling of pictures is as easy as a stroke of a finger. Pictures are clear and crisp and colors were vibrant thanks to its high resolution of 921k pixels.

What makes the Sony Tx-7 quite distinct from its predecessors is the fact that it is the world’s first compact digital camera to include full HD (1920 x 1080 60i) Advanced Video Codec High Definition or AVCHD video capability. With this format, you can record movies in full HD resolution (60 fps) that you can play back on your HDTV using a PS3 or Blu-Ray Disc players.

It can easily be uploaded to YouTube because it can also capture in Mp4 format for up to 1440 x 1080 30 fps at 12 Mbps; definitely great for sharing online. Movement is smooth and with great detail and from what I’ve experienced stabilizing movements while filming were considerably good even with very minimal effort in keeping the camera steady.

Videos that I have taken didn’t cause dizziness when we were viewing them. I guess having an Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization helps with this factor or maybe, just maybe, I surprisingly have an amazing steady set of hands.

For playback, there is a movie start/stop icon on the touchscreen or a designated physical movie button located on top of the camera as mentioned earlier.

Washed out images are prevented with the Backlight Correction HDR by taking two pictures at different exposure settings. Best elements of both settings are processed in to one image for a natural looking shot.

The Sony Cybershot Tx-7 also has the “wow” factors of the Tx-1 namely, the “Exmor R” CMOS Image Sensor, Anti-motion sensor, Handheld Twilight, high speed shooting just to name a few.

Of course, the Intelligent Sweep Panorama mode is present and has even improved. This model can detect faces and moving subjects then stitches them intelligently to avoid the subject being deformed.
Transfer Jet Technology is Sony’s newest technology that lets you send photos from one device to another by just touching them together. All you need is a Transfer Jet equipped camera and a memory card.

It is totally hassle-free, having no need for wires, cables or even complicated set-ups.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665953349
elgatonegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 04:03 PM   #92
elgatonegro

Icon20 MSI intros R5830 Twin Frozr II graphic card

MSI has released its R5830 Twin Frozr II graphics card. MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II uses ATI Radeon HD 5830 GPU with 1120 units of stream processors and 1GB GDDR5 high speed memory to provide the latest DirectX 11 games with stunning visual effects to gamers. Equipped with excusive Twin Frozr II Thermal design, R5830 Twin Frozr II is 12oC cooler thanks to dual 8CM PWM fans and quad Heatpipes.

The most powerful Afterburner overclocking software supports over voltage function of GPU on R5830 Twin Frozr, tweaking the GPU’s voltage to have better overclocking performance. In addition, to have better stability and lifespan, R5830 Twin Frozr II chooses the high quality Military class components to build the best HD 5830 card!

Advanced Twin Frozr II Thermal Design – 12oC cooler!

For heat dissipation, the MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II graphic card uses the advanced Twin Frozr II thermal design. This is supplemented by dual 8CM PWM fans and quad heat pipes to draw and dissipate waste heat away from the graphics card. Real-world tests show that MSI’s proprietary Twin Frozr II cooling can reduce temperatures by up to 12oC when compared to the reference cooler, making it quite an advanced cooling system.

Over voltage function of GPU by MSI Afterburner

Apart from the greatly improved thermal design, the R5830 Twin Frozr II graphics card comes with MSI’s proprietary Afterburner overclocking software. Apart from the standard GPU and memory clock frequency adjustments, Afterburner can also change the GPU voltage to 1.35v to unleash its full performance!

Military Class Components to Take Reliability to a New Level

As for the components, MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II uses military class materials to ensure the best stability and longer lifespan. This includes the Hi-c CAP for the GPU power supply, solid state capacitors to extend the graphics card’s overall service life, and solid state inductors that prevent high-frequency noise when overclocked or under high loads.

ATI EyeFinity / DirectX 11 / Stream technology supported

MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II graphics card supports ATI exclusive Eyefinity technology that can run 3 monitor outputs simultaneously by single card. R5830 Twin Frozr II is also compatible with DirectX 11, having the most realistic gaming experience. With the support of ATI stream technology, R5830 Twin Frozr II is able to accelerate specific programs by GPU’s power.

Old 8 March 2010, 01:15 PM   #93
elgatonegro

Icon20 Windows Phone 7 Series

I am, to my immense surprise, totally excited about Windows Phone 7 Series. After delays and incremental improvements to Windows Mobile 6.x, Microsoft has managed to spark interest in the latest evolution of its smart phone operating system.

Take whatever you know about the Redmond firm’s previous smart phone OS out of the window. Everything from the look and feel to the code is built from the ground up. The iconic start button has disappeared entirely, and has been replaced with tiles that can be configured and relocated for different applications. From what Microsoft has shown to the press, 7 Series is aimed at leveraging social networking applications, enhancing the experience with information pulled from the information cloud. 7 Series is also integrating Xbox Live and Zune - two Microsoft services - into the experience.

Instead of program groups, the new OS relies on “hubs”. Hubs, in Microsoft’s own words, bring together related content from the Web, applications and services into a single view to simplify common tasks. There are a total of six hubs – People, Pictures, Games, Music + Video, Marketplace and Office. From videos that Microsoft has shown to the public (through their website and various blogs) switching from hub to hub is easy and smooth, with clean transitions all around.

The change isn’t without pitfalls of course. Microsoft will be enforcing tighter controls on the hardware that’s going to go onto 7 Series powered smart phones, i.e. specific CPU clock speed, memory and even button layouts. There will also be no UI layering possible on 7 Series – that means no HTC Sense UI and Samsung TouchWiz.

7 Series is Microsoft’s answer to the surging smart phone war that’s currently raging in the marketplace. The change is radical, but is hardly unexpected, as more and more rivals eat into Microsoft’s marketshare. It’s like Microsoft finally realized what most of us were already thinking - a phone is not a PC – and it seems they built their user experience around that concept. It seems that 7 Series is far ahead of Windows Mobile 6.x, both in functionality and ease of use.

I’m genuinely excited at what 7 Series will bring to the table, and this is from somebody who says that the only Windows phone I liked was the one that didn’t feel like a Windows phone. Will the new OS create a new Renaissance for Microsoft? That remains to be seen, and as of press time the launch date of 7 Series branded smart phones are scheduled to hit before the holidays of this year.

Old 17 March 2010, 05:28 PM   #94
elgatonegro

Icon20 Samsung N220 and N150

Samsung Electronics Philippines Corp. has launched the latest additions to its award-winning range of netbooks, the Samsung N220 and N150. Designed to provide maximum personal freedom, the N220 delivers up to 12 hours of secure connected mobility, while the N150 keeps on going for up to 8 hours.

This impressive battery-powered performance is possible because overall power consumption is reduced by their energy efficient LED display, optimized processing performance and Samsung’s proprietary Enhanced Battery Life solution.

TheN220 and N150 also have several display features that enhance the visual experience. The new netbooks’ 10.1” LED anti-reflective display fine-tunes movies and images with the sharpest details and boldest colors, with no mirror effect under bright lights or in sunny weather. Using the integrated Easy Resolution Manager tool, screen resolution can easily be changed if a program or game needs to be viewed in 1024x768. Both offer an integrated Digital LiveCam for video-conferencing or live messaging.

With a slim and elegant design and extensive quality assurance testing the N220 and N150 are stylish and reliable. The N220 features Samsung’s new crystal pattern design, while the N150 sports an integrated hinge for smooth movement and a high quality feel, so everything blends effortlessly together even when the netbook is open.

Add in a mark and scratch-resistant Samsung durable casing to reduce the risk of damage, and it all adds up to a great long-term value.
The new netbooks come with a range of tools for greater ease of use and safety. Firstly, the “Instant On” capability of the Phoenix HyperSpace tool, featured on the N220, allows the devices to turn on and immediately go online without waiting for Windows to boot, while their “Smart Power Management” conserves more battery power without user intervention. The AnyPC remote PC access application enables a secure One-Click connection to a home or office PC, making it safe and easy to transfer and view files while on the go. The Samsung Recovery solution allows you to easily format, back-up and recover your data without using CDs. It allows you to automatically and regularly back up your files to the hard drive.

The N220 and N150 incorporate Intel’s latest processor, the Intel Atom N450, which is specifically designed to deliver an amazing Internet experience using netbooks. Based on an entirely new micro-architecture, the Intel Atom processor increases energy efficiency to extend battery life, while delivering enhanced mobile performance and increased system responsiveness.

The N220 and N150 have been awarded the leading environmental and usability standard, TCO Certified, and are ECO RoHS compliant.

Samsung N150

Samsung N220

Old 17 March 2010, 05:50 PM   #95
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgatonegro View Post
The Samsung i900 is finally unveiled.

Called Samsung i900 Omnia, this Windows Mobile PocketPC could be a strong competitor of the 3G iPhone, and ready to go head-to-head with HTC Touch Diamond.

Samsung i900 Omnia will be first displayed at the CommunicAsia expo in Singapore from June 17 to 20.

Based on Windows Mobile 6.1 Pro, the Samsung i900 offers a 3.2-inch WideQVGA display (240 x 400 pixels) and an optical mouse much like the one found in the Samsung i780.

Camera-wise the Samsung i900 Omnia is one helluva amibitious handset - offering a 5 megapixel auto focus snapper with face and smile detection plus auto-panorama shot. Geotagging is also among the camera features since the i900 also packs a built-in GPS receiver.

The Samsung i900 Omnia is only 12.5mm and the brushed metal back certainly adds to its refined looks. That figure along with the other dimensions makes it rather identical to the Apple iPhone.

Most importantly the i900 shares with the iPhone the same massive internal memory - both an 8GB and a 16GB i900 versions will be available with the microSD still present for further expanding those with up to 16 gigs worth of storage.

The specs sheet of the Samsung i900 is then boosted by the quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support plus HSDPA 7.2Mbps. Thanks to the built-in accelerometer, the UI automatically rotates to follow the handset’s current orientation. Wi-Fi support is also on board to make the i900 sound even juicier.

The USB port, FM radio with RDS and stereo Bluetooth (A2DP) are among the final touches to this loaded PocketPC.

And since touch-optimization is of critical importance when you strive to compete with Apple’s iPhone, Samsung have also ported their TouchWiz user interface for use on Windows Mobile.

We saw that Touch UI for the first time on the Samsung F480 and we surely enjoyed it.

The Samsung i900 Omnia will be available soon.

My sister in law has that phone for office use in china. She says its a piece of garbage, and after a few uses I agree.
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 12:45 PM   #96
elgatonegro

Icon20 InFocus IN5534 and IN5504

InFocus Corporation has announced that its latest premium business projector models—the IN5534 and IN5504—are now shipping. The InFocus IN5500 series includes four new feature-rich, HD projectors designed specifically for businesses and professional AV installers, featuring high-performance, adjustable optics that enable easy integration into any room, regardless of size or dimensions.

They offer the proven picture reliability of DLP with BrilliantColor technology from Texas Instruments. Automatic sensors for ceiling detection and keystone eliminate commonly encountered radial distortions including pincushion and barrel distortion, enabling perfectly projected images even on imperfect surfaces. A new SplitScreen display option eliminates the need for multiple displays when video conferencing, using white boards or conducting collaborative presentations. The integration of long-life lamps and virtually maintenance-free design, make the IN5500 installation models the most cost effective high-performance projectors available.

Both feature WUXGA (1920 x 1200) resolution, up to 7000 lumens, motorised lens shift and interchangeable lenses for short throw to ultra long throw projection, DLP DarkChip liquid cooled DMD technology and a dual lamp option (IN5534) for fail-safe 24/7 operations. Both models offer unique customisable skins and cable management which allow customers to blend the projector seamlessly into their environment.
“The IN5534 and IN5504 truly embody the cutting edge in business projector technology and style,” said Benjamin Joy, product line director for InFocus. “The latest technologies, combined with our decades of research in user-friendly design and intuitive operation, make the new InFocus IN5500 installation series a reliable, affordable investment that will change how businesses experience projection.”

InFocus IN5534

InFocus IN5504

Old 15 April 2010, 09:03 PM   #97
elgatonegro

Icon20 Opera browser gets to iPhone

HELSINKI (Reuters) – Apple Inc has accepted distribution of Opera Software's Internet browser for its iPhone after a long review, opening a new and potentially lucrative market it has so far closely guarded.

There are numerous versions of Apple's own browser on App Store, but Norway-based Opera is the first rival to get access to iPhone.

Shares in Opera rose 5.7 percent at the open, to 26.2 crowns.

Opera applied on March 23 for its mobile browser to be distributed on iPhone, and it was available for downloading to consumers early on Tuesday, three weeks later. Usually the review process takes up to one week, developers say.

Analysts have said the decision was difficult for Apple -- whose application store is the only way to distribute software for iPhone users -- as its Internet browsing function is key to the success of the iPhone.

"In this world you have to be careful in picking your fights," said John Strand, chief executive of Strand Consult. "Apple has to know Opera is the company that won the big legal battle against the Microsoft browser and probably didn't want to fight against Opera," Strand said.

Opera led the battle in Brussels against Microsoft bundling its Windows software and Internet Explorer, which eventually saw Microsoft sending a browser choice screen to some 200 million computers in Europe.

Opera's browser promises up to six times faster download speeds than Apple's own browser, and to cut data traffic by up to 90 percent.

Massive data traffic from iPhone mobile phones has caused problems for many operators' networks.

Analysts said iPhone access should have little direct business impact for Opera, but was important for branding.

"Opera's Mini browser already has some 50 million users and this could give them a couple or more million ... but it is important to bear in mind that they don't make money on users that download Opera Mini for free," analyst Peder Strand at SEB Enskilda said.

Opera's browser, free to consumers, was among the top downloaded items on iPhone on Tuesday.

"We have the same business model on Opera Mini as on our other consumer products, which is revenue share and affiliate deals on search and speed dials," Opera's Chief Development Officer Cristen Krogh told Reuters.

Old 16 April 2010, 03:16 AM   #98
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Thank you...I will try it!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2010, 01:40 PM   #99
elgatonegro

Icon20 Kin One and Kin Two!

Microsoft recently announced the Kin One and Kin Two, two brand new mobile phones that are aimed squarely at the social networking generation. It’s primarily designed to keep users in the know when it comes to their friends – where they are and what they’re up to.

Everything that you need to know is easily accessible through the home page called the “loop”, where the simple text, monochromatic elements and the design of interface look similar to Microsoft’s latest OS, Windows Phone 7.

The loop is akin to a social content aggregator, and reads status feeds from Twitter, Facebook and the like. Unlike your regular aggregator however, you are able to prioritize the people you want to follow closely, and as a result you will see more status updates from them, pushing low priority people deep in the background.

Derek Snyder, senior product manager for the Kin team describes it as “not just a grid of applications, it’s something that’s totally personal to me.” He also adds that “the loop is alive, and we have cloud infrastructure that’s pushing down updates from all my favorite social networks. It’s like its delivering to me a magazine of my life”. The loop also makes it easy to update your status message across multiple social networks.

An essential part of the Kin experience is the “Spot”, a little green dot the bottom of the screen. The spot allows you to share everything you want, from search results from Bing to a new website you just found. You just need to drag what you want to share to the spot, and select the people you want to share it to.

The Kin’s apparent reliance on cloud infrastructure is most apparent in the way it handles media. Like most phones, the Kin has a built-in camera and storage. Unlike most phones, however once you take a photo or video it’s automatically backed up through the cloud. So even if you do manage to lose your phone, you’ll still be able to access the pictures and videos you’ve taken.

To top off the already delicious cake that is Kin is the Kin Studio. In a nutshell, it allows you to do everything you can do on your phone (sans calling and texting, of course) like change your status, share photos and the like. It also gives you access to all your media (remember, the Kin backs up your media to the internet automatically) and allows you to share them to your contacts.

With the overhaul of Windows Mobile and the heavy focus of Kin on social networks, Microsoft is finally getting its groove back on. The year isn’t even halfway done, and I’m sure Microsoft still has a few more bombs to drop.

Old 7 May 2010, 07:23 PM   #100
elgatonegro

Icon20 Ways to keep an iPad secure

The iPad is a new and wonderful plaything, but it’s also a mini-computer that holds large amounts of your personal and private information in e-mail messages, contact lists, photos and apps for social networks and other services. And so it’s wise to think about how to keep this private information private should you lose your iPad or leave it unattended for a spell, or if it gets stolen.

Malware is unknown to the device as of yet, but users should, as with any computer, avoid using unknown Wi-Fi networks, which miscreants could be “sniffing” to collect valuable data, and remain alert to common scams, like phishing, that try to trick users into providing sensitive personal information.Beyond that, here are security and privacy tips for iPad users:

Lock your iPad

This is basic security from prying eyes that’s free and easy. Tap the “Settings” icon on the home screen and then select “General” and “Passcode Lock.” Then set the four-digit code you want to use to unlock your iPad when you turn it on or wake it up.

You can choose among several intervals of time of inactivity before it will ask for the code again, though Mr. Rouse recommends choosing a short interval. He also recommends that users set their iPads to erase all data if someone enters the wrong code 10 times. If you cause the erasure accidentally, you can always restore your information by syncing your device with your computer. Note that a code won’t necessarily stop a determined thief from accessing content on your device by connecting it to a computer.

You could also buy a case with a physical lock on it to keep co-workers, classmates and family members out.

Find or disable a lost or stolen device

Apple’s MobileMe service has a feature called “Find My iPad” (or iPhone) that can help users locate a lost device.

Using your computer, sign up for MobileMe and activate the feature by logging into your account and following the on-screen instructions to see the approximate location of your lost property on a map.
If you discover that you left it at a bar, say, you can remotely set a four-digit passcode and lock it (if you haven’t already) by clicking “Remote Lock.” Then you can write a message that will be displayed on the screen to whoever may have found it — like, “Oops! Left my expensive, coveted iPad at your bar. Please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Coming to pick it up now!” — even if it is locked.

If you go to the bar and get blank looks, have MobileMe override the ringer volume or silent setting and play a sound to help you locate the device.

Old 20 May 2010, 04:55 PM   #101
elgatonegro

Icon20 Sony Ericsson Elm

I’ve always wondered what having an eco-phone would feel like. Did it offer grounding technology, to help me mineralize and balance my positive ions with the negative ions of the soil? Would it keep me more in touch with the rhythms of nature, the pull of the tide? Would it warn me when the moon would be waxing full, and waning dark?

It was unimpressive and tiny; minimal packaging of course, is the trademark of all things eco-friendly. And inside, a sleek, handy, if not flimsy-looking phone. “It’s made of recycled material,” he said. “That’s why it’s called an eco-phone.”

That said, I set upon trying to get used to its interface. I’m a die hard Nokia user, see, and it would take a really remarkable device to tear me away from my E71 and N97.

For all its seeming lightness and unexciting appearance (the Sony Ericsson Elm wouldn’t turn heads the way a flashier smartphone would, for example), its features pack a punch: it’s got WiFi, 3G, email, and a host of applications (which includes Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter) I have yet to exhaust. The springy quality of its keyboard also made it easy for me to get used to the differences between Sony Ericsson and Nokia’s input. I even used it to play music during a drinking party at home, since we were all too drunk and lazy to properly set up a laptop and speakers. Its sound quality was a bit tinny, as expected, but powerful enough to have us appreciate The Cure even while cross-eyed with Tanduay. Before I knew it, I was using the Elm for four days straight. Until…until…

I found myself at my dermatologist’s clinic, lying on my back and waiting for the therapist to zap the fat out of my saddlebags. A-type personality that I am, I cannot keep still, and use times like these to check my email (and of course, Facebook).

This is where the Elm failed me. I could not for the life of me, get connected to the Internet, despite me choosing the free WiFi network available.

The Elm insisted that I use one of the Macau/Hong Kong-based accounts in its data. I tried and tried again. “Come on, my little, unobtrusive, environmentally-friendly friend, show me some Facebook!” but the Elm remained unresponsive. I whipped out my trusty E71 and surfed with ease.

Second chance

The Elm had its chance to prove itself once again to me when, smack in the middle of this particularly volatile mercury retrograde, my sim card died and I needed an extra line to keep connected. As they say, things happen for a reason.

So what did I discover about the Elm this second time around?

For one, the battery life is amazing.

I charged it Saturday morning, took it on a short holiday with me and the kids, made my usual work/family calls on it (overall, maybe an average of 10 minutes a day), and it’s still got a bit of spunk in it as I write this on a Thursday night. Almost empty, but not still in the green zone. I reckon it’ll last me another day.

Nitpicking aside, the call quality is clear, and so are the photos it delivers on its 5MP camera (which has an idiot-proof icon-oriented options menu on it, by the way).

I also especially like its “conversation” feature, which is a take-off from Blackberry. Very useful when tracking important text exchanges as a thread, and not as a single message in the inbox, and switching back to the sent folder.

So does the Elm still “have” me? Sure. Until I give it back to Art.

Elm Specifications

Network Technology:
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
HSDPA 2100
HSDPA 900 / 2100
Dimensions: (mm) 110 x 45 x 14
Weight: (g) 90
Screen Size: 240 x 320 , 2.2 inch
Screen Color: TFT, 256K colors
Memory Slot: microSD (TransFlash), up to 8GB
Battery Type: Li-Po
Stand-by: (hrs) 430 H (2G) / 446 H (3G)
TalkTime: (min) 600 Min (2G) / 240 Min (3G)
Connectivity: HSDPA WIFI/WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, DLNA
Other Application Noise cancellation with dedicated microphone, Splash resistant, SensMe, Track ID, Google Maps, Picture editor/blogging, YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter applications, Widget Manager,
Eco friendly

Old 29 June 2010, 03:03 PM   #102
elgatonegro

Icon20 New iPhone 4 arrives

Apple’s new iPhone, its fourth in four years, reaches stores on Thursday. Ordinarily, this is where you’d expect to find a review of it. But honestly — what’s the point?

The iPhone 4 is already a hit. AT&T says that it received 10 times as many preorders as it did for the iPhone 3GS last year. On the first day of taking orders, Apple processed 600,000 requests — before its ordering system, and AT&T’s, descended into chaos.

In short, the public seems to be perfectly capable of sniffing out a winner without the help of tech critics.

On the other hand, the new model won’t do anything for people who detest the iPhone. It wouldn’t matter if the new iPhone could levitate, cure hepatitis and clean your gutters; the Cantankerous Committee would still avoid it.

Despite the strong initial, positive reaction, this must still be a nerve-racking time to be Apple; the iPhone is no longer the only worthy contender. Phones running Google’s Android software are gaining rave reviews and packing in features that iPhone owners can only envy. The Android app store is ballooning, multiple phone makers are competing, and Google updates the software several times a year. Apple releases only one new model a year, so the new iPhone had better be pretty amazing to compete.

It is.

The first thing you notice is the new shape. Despite a beefier battery (16 percent more likely to last a full day), a faster processor and upgraded everything, the new model is still noticeably thinner and narrower than before.

How is that possible? In part, the trick was squaring off the back. It’s no longer gracefully curved — a design that, if you think about it, created wasted space around the rectangular components. The new iPhone is two glass slabs, front and back, wrapped by a stainless-steel band.

The result is beautiful, and since there’s no more plastic, it feels solid and Lexus-like. But it no longer feels like a soothing worry stone, and it’s now impossible to tell by touch which way it’s facing in your pocket.

The new metal mute and volume buttons are much stiffer. Still, Apple says the iPhone 4 is the world’s thinnest smartphone, and most people will approve of the trade-offs.

The new phone uses the same custom chip that’s in the iPad; it’s really, really fast. It makes a difference every time you tap the touch screen.

It’s not the first phone with both a front and back camera. It’s not even the first one to make video calls. But the iPhone 4 is the first phone to make good video calls, reliably, with no sign-up or setup, with a single tap. The picture and audio are rock solid, with very little delay, and it works the first time and every time. This feature, called FaceTime, is pure Apple.

However, you can enjoy this classic “show Grandma the baby” fantasy only if you and Grandma both have the iPhone 4, and only when you’re both in strong Wi-Fi hot spots. Both limitations may change in time; other software companies are free to create FaceTime-compatible programs for other gadgets. And Apple implies that next year, you’ll be able to make such calls over the cellular airwaves. Clearly, Apple is giving its ball and chain, AT&T, time to get its network ready.

The new screen, with greater contrast, is excellent. It packs in four times as many pixels as before; at 326 dots an inch, it’s now the sharpest phone screen on the market. Now, “the screen isn’t sharp enough” wasn’t exactly a common iPhone complaint before.

Old 29 June 2010, 03:35 PM   #103
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Those aren't pics of the iphone 4 although I think its better looking than the real thing
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 07:08 PM   #104
elgatonegro

Icon20 Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini

Looks can be deceiving for this little beauty. At first glance, it can be mistaken for a simple MP4 player. Roughly half the size of its big brother, the X10 mini measures 83.0 x 50.0 x 16.0 mm. This pocket-sized handset is almost as small as a 3rd generation iPod nano.

Sony Ericsson has done an incredible job in maximizing the phone’s limited space. Except for the power/lock key, its physical buttons are small and thin, but fairly elevated, making them easy to press. Situated at the bottom part of the phone are the microUSB port and 3.5 mm audio jack.

The X10 mini’s thin back panel houses the speaker, 5-MP camera lens and LED flash bulb which are likely to be scratched when negligently used.

When the phone was handed to me, I swept my four fingers downwards through its back, thinking it is a slider phone. Its arched back was a bit odd for me at first as it looked like an unstable base when the phone is placed on a flat surface, but it made sense to me as soon as I held it. Considering the phone’s size, an arched back ensures a more firm and comfortable grip.

I think that a rubberized back panel would have been perfect because its sleek plastic surface makes it prone to slips, especially when the phone is passed from one person to another.

Nonetheless, the phone’s back panels are interchangeable and come in a variety of colors that fit any type of personality and make the phone vogue: black, pearl white, lime, red, pink and silver. Two extra panels are included in the package.

Removing the back panel can be quite tricky as it does not have a release button. That explains why no command keys can be found on the left side of phone. Beneath the phone’s rear cover lie both the SIM and microSD card slots. The phone has an internal memory of 128MB and can support up to 16GB of external memory. Since 128MB of internal memory is quite small, Sony Ericsson has provided a generous 2GB microSD card in the set.

The X10 mini’s functionality is just as fascinating as its portability. It may lack certain features that could have enabled it to perform up to par with high-tech smartphones, but it is pre- installed with a number of useful applications. Running Android 1.6, the X10 mini comes with the usual Android staples, such as Gmail, Google Talk, Maps, Facebook and Twitter. A dedicated YouTube app is also pre-installed, and it unbelievably buffered faster in the X10 mini than in my laptop. With the Android Market, I was able to download a wide range of mobile applications for free. It’s impressive that applications take no more than a minute to download.

Navigating through the phone’s features is remarkably smooth. The X10 mini’s incredibly responsive 2.55” capacitive QVGA touchscreen blazingly registers every touch. Had it not been for its excellent screen sensitivity, the very thin notification bar found on the topmost part of the screen would have been difficult to slide down. Opening different applications is quick and easy too, thanks to its large thumbable icons. Sony Ericsson’s “four-corner customization” feature made the phone even more convenient for me to use as I simply dragged and dropped my favorite applications in the four customizable touch corners of the homescreen.

Data transfer using WiFi, Bluetooth and USB is hassle-free and can be done in just a snap.Just like any Sony Ericsson handset, syncing the X10 mini with any PC was incredibly fast.

The X10 mini provides broadband-like web browsing experience over 3G with HSPA. This little Android does not support Flash formats, but its web browser performs pretty well.

The only issue I had with the web browser was the zoom. Zooming wasn't that easy as I had to click the zoom buttons everytime I open a new page. It’s a good thing that the phone is programmed with a magnifying glass mode that helped me quickly find the part I want to zoom.

I’m not fond of using Facebook and Twitter, but Timescape has surely made social networking a lot of fun for me. With Timescape, I was able to receive/view text messages and Facebook updates without switching homescreens. With Timescape, Facebook and Twitter updates, together with SMS and MMS messages, are chronologically tiled in one homescreen. This allows that user to access Facebook and Twitter at the same time. Though the tiles are easy to scroll and can be filtered according to events or contacts, reading tweets, status and SMS messages in white-colored texts posted against your friend’s profile picture can take quite some time to get used to.

I was satisfied with the phone’s GPS navigation capability using Google Maps.

Old 22 July 2010, 04:47 PM   #105
elgatonegro

Icon20 Band Master brings out the rock star in you

Inside every music-loving Pinoy is a rock star dying to come out.

It doesn't take much for a wannabe to release the pent-up music energy inside: strum an invisible guitar, play a few chords on an imaginary piano, or use a pair of chopsticks on the drums.

But not every Pinoy can rise as a rock god or a rock goddess. Thank God, there's Band Master.

Band Master is the latest online music game that lets you unleash the rock star in you. All you need is a few hours to spare and a trusty PC that has at least 512 MB of RAM so it won’t go bust when you start to bust some moves. A caveat though, the game is highly addictive.

With many game options and modes to choose from, Band Master can keep you busy for hours! You don't have to be a musical genius to get the game. Even tone-deaf players can play!

Finger dexterity, a fair amount of imagination and a whole lot of passion for music are all it takes to win the game. Band Master lets you unleash your inner rock star. That means no need for chopsticks to rock!

To play, you have to build your cool rock star image. Character creation lets you pick the gender, hair color, and facial features of your rock star alter ego. Female characters get to choose from a variety of fun and flirty outfits, while male characters have four cropped pants. (Maybe rock stars don’t wear long pants, eh?) Of course, don’t forget to enter your rocker nickname!

Once your character is set, you can start warming up by playing in the Practice game mode. There are six musical instruments – drums, guitar, bass, synthesizer, brass, and piano. Choose an instrument and practice solo ahead of other game modes.

Band Master provides an interesting array of song selections from classic rockers like Bon Jovi and Ozzy Osbourne to surprise finds like that of the Japanese band L`Arc-en-Ciel, pop group Black Eyed Peas, and R&B legend Stevie Wonder.

Unlike other similar music video games, the songs in this beta version of Band Master does not play automatically, so don’t forget to hit “play" when you’re ready to jam.

After your warm up session in Practice mode, choose from two other game modes that put your skills to test. The SOS mode lets you play your chosen instrument with other players.

Should you make many mistakes, your character would "retire" while the other band members play extra well to revive you. It's also your job to play well to revive other band members who fall behind in the session. Try to finish the song with your band mates intact!

The Concert mode lets you play with two other band mates. You get to pick all the instruments for the band, and the object is to finish the song while maintaining harmony. Choose your instruments well, making sure the output sounds great when played together.

The game lets you play against other Band Master players online. Choose between the Individual Versus and the Group Versus modes to challenge other rock star wannabes. Play well for the high scorer wins.

For a little twist, the Shutter Battle mode allows you to play one up against other players by attacking with notes invisible to your opponents. No guide means no melody, and soon you'll be playing in tune while your opponent goes out of tune.

Unlike other similar music video games, Band Master gives the player full control of the game. The game screen offers controls that allow the player to pause and scroll through the song, so you don't have to leave your game running if you need a quick bathroom break!