The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 August 2018, 09:43 PM   #1
Hasperax
"TRF" Member

Advices needed before buying a PAM104

Hi there,

I am a future new owner of a panerai, It is my first watch (well, my first watch at this range of price). But as you may have guessed, I would love some advices from people who know better than me.

I ve spotted a nice PAM104, I like it, nothing to say, Im a attached to the respect of the core values and history of the brand, seems to me the PAM104 respect that.

The price is 4200 € (approx 4800 USD) in mint conditions from 2015, with box papers 1 year warranty etc, plus its close from where I live (no shipping).

But I have a question regarding the former retail price since this watch is no longer sold in retail, some website (including rolex forums) say 7000 $ for a non used new watch while some display a price at 5600$.

What is your opinion? Comparing to the current prices on Chrono24, the deal is ok, but if the price for a new was 5600 usd, Is it ok to buy a used one for 4800 $, or is it stupid to compare the old retail price for a discontinued reference which value may have not decreased that much.

Thank you for your help !
Hasperax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 04:47 AM   #2
synequano
Banned

I'd compare the price against Chrono24 minus 20% for the same conditions (pre owned vs pre owned,roughly the same condition in terms of equipment) to judge the fair market price

Few years back I saw a complete older 104 (E from 2002) with period correct (non push button) deployant clasp and papers from Panerai (showing the date of recent service,what was replaced etc) for €2990 before further negotiations
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Hasperax
"TRF" Member

Thank you for answering, So what you say is I should consider the average price on chrono24 minus 20% ? In that case the price of 4200 € is decent, for its pretty recent (2015) and one of the cheapest in that reference (except for some US offers, but it doesn’t include tax and shipping) and the one I saw is ship fees free (I live nearby).

About the 2990 € ref you saw a few years ago. I have the feeling that the prices exploded a few years ago, the only panerai I see at that price are luminaires base hand winding from Russia. Don’t you agree ?

Anyway I’m not looking for a bargain or an investment, I just don’t want to pay the right price.

Thank you again !
Old 20 August 2018, 08:28 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Price seems quite fair to me. I’ve never seen full sets less than €4k.

104 is a very solid and classic auto PAM.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 07:19 PM   #5
Hasperax
"TRF" Member

Ok then i'll go for it, thank you very much for your answers, helped a lot, hope in a few years Ill be able to help back.
Old 20 August 2018, 09:12 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Price is competitive and toward the high end of pre-owned retail but not overpriced. It is close to you and no shipping which matters. Go negotiate and see if you can do better, at the least ask the seller for some extra straps. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Hasperax
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your answer !
Old 21 August 2018, 06:31 AM   #8
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Great choice

The 104 is a classic. You will feel a wobble in the movement. I like it. No need to wind every other day. Congratulations.

Paging Mr. Mystro for some awesome 104 pics!!
Auto16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Here you go..... I love the Pam 104. It has every thing I want in a Panerai. Mine has been extremely accurate and the ease of changing straps will spoil you. it’s sausage dial has outstanding lume. It’s a over achieving movement as my Pam 104 has always had a power reserve over 52 hours and a accuracy of +1 second a day (I check it every year). Servicing will also be easy and parts available forever.
With any Panerai, make sure you get a complete box set with all tags, etc... Panerai fakes are scary good. Prices are slightly creeping up over the last 4 years I have watched. They never sell below $4k USD for a full set and condition doesn’t seem to matter so $4k is the bottom out price. A super clean model will do better so your not going to loose much if any money on a Pam 104 at the prices you are looking at.
Go for it.

This is what a box set should have. There is two other outer boxes, (black and a brown with serial and inventory labels). Panerist are very meticulous to have everything.

Old 21 August 2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai

If I only had those picture taking skills!

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1534817059
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104 with view.jpg (55.2 KB, 83 views)
Auto16610 is online now   Reply With Quote