The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 December 2017, 04:28 PM   #1
jchen
"TRF" Member

Question on Reliability of AP

Hi,
So I've heard/read quite many horror stories of the reliability of AP in general.
However I'm thinking about getting a steel 15400 and a gold jumbo 15202 sometime down the line.
My question is how reliable are the 3120 and 2121 movements?

I understand they probably need to be serviced more often than say, a rolex, and will also be more expensive to service, both of which are fine by me. I am just worried/concerned with repeated services/malfunctions in short periods of time.
I'm not a clumsy person and don't bang up my watch so I expect a service every 3-5 years but don't think I can go with AP if a significant percentage (say over 10%) of AP owners have experienced nightmares/disasters with their new AP watches (3120/2121 movements).

Sorry if this isn't a good question but I'm trying to decide if I should stick to Rolex as AP's reliability or lack of, could be the potential deal breaker.
Thanks very much
jchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 08:11 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

most issues are chronograph specific so generally there are not issues with a 15202 or 15400

secondly, more expensive to service is relative. Based on the cost of the watch the services costs are less than Rolex so i would say its a better value. AP service isnt 2X more expensive than Rolex but the watch is at least that much more. Proportionally its quite fair IMO.

Rolex vs AP is apples and oranges. One is a tool watch and the other isnt and you can't compare the two in that way. If you have Rolex expectations as to what a watch is, then stick to Rolex. My GMT or my 15400 are sufficiently suitable for my daily activities and I don't see any difference between the two with reliability, but im not doing extreme activities either.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

I don't see any grounds for this....

"I understand they probably need to be serviced more often than say, a rolex, ....."
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 10:02 PM   #4
jchen
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback!
For the service period, I don't know for sure and it's just the general impression I got from reading posts on forums. It seems like (a big ?), which may not be true, that rolex's are in general just very sturdy and in many cases don't even need servicing well beyond 5years.

As far as service cost goes, great point on the watch cost vs. service cost ratio and I'm not really worried about the cost.

Again, I was only concerned as I read people's horror stories like the crown falling off, watch stopped moving and needed repeated service within month's of brand new purchase etc. But it sounds like that isn't the case or isn't the norm, rather.

I would be happy to do regular servicing but just thought it wouldn't make sense to dole out money for such expensive timepieces if I should expect abnormally frequent servicing.
Old 7 December 2017, 10:14 PM   #5
jchen
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback!

In terms of rolex's service periods, I don't know but it's just the general impression I got that they sometimes don't even need servicing well beyond 5 years.

Great point on the watch cost vs. service cost ratio and I'm not really worried about the cost.

Again, the reason I asked is because I've read instances of AP malfunctions such as the crown falling off, watch stopped working and needed repeated servicing within months of brand new purchase etc., stuff that seems really basic and not expected for these expensive timepieces, however it seems like that isn't really the case or isn't the norm, rather.

I would be happy to do and pay regular servicing (on average of 4 years?) as long as it's not abnormally frequent but cool, looks like I don't need to worry.
Old 7 December 2017, 10:24 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

In terms of rolex's service periods, I don't know but it's just the general impression I got that they sometimes don't even need servicing well beyond 5 years.

Great point on the watch cost vs. service cost ratio and I'm not really worried about the cost.

Again, the reason I asked is because I've read instances of AP malfunctions such as the crown falling off, watch stopped working and needed repeated servicing within months of brand new purchase etc., stuff that seems really basic and not expected for these expensive timepieces, however it seems like that isn't really the case or isn't the norm, rather.

I would be happy to do and pay regular servicing (on average of 4 years?) as long as it's not abnormally frequent but cool, looks like I don't need to worry.
i would not worry. My 15400 is very solid, and i wear it all the time. Still looks new after over 3 years of use. Im not particularly careful with it either, i just wear it normally. If you buy new, you get a 5 year warranty so that is some piece of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9005.jpg (229.7 KB, 516 views)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 04:13 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Any issues tend to show early and so under warranty and usually with efficient AP turnaround, so don't be scared off.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 07:58 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

The five year warranty is a very good extra reason to buy new ! This was a smart move by AP in my book.

Regarding issues - as with anything one buys it may or may not have issues. As stated above, due to the nature of these things a manufacturing defect will usually present itself whilst still under warranty so go for it and pull the trigger !
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 11:56 AM   #9
Johnnie Peh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 44 SS 44 RG.
Not necessarily to buy new to get a 5 years warranty. We can still get pre-owned pieces. So long it's purchased from 1st January 2017.
Johnnie Peh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:29 PM   #10
jchen
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your very helpful comments as well as the shot of confidence!
Old 8 December 2017, 01:02 PM   #11
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Dont know why but my new ROC seems to run 20 sec fast in a day.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 01:26 PM   #12
this_is_dk
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400ST
I have been using the 15400 as my daily driver for the past one year and haven't had any issues with it. Keeps excellent time. Didn't baby it either, just wore it normally and enjoyed every day of it. Still looks brand new.
this_is_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
No matter the brand, some watches are great and some identical but for the serial number are lemons.

My Glaschutte Sport EVO has given me the biggest headaches of any of my watches with so many trips to Swatch Group Service in Switzerland that the Tourbillion House in Las Vegas started treating me like a regular buyer (little gifts, food , champagne).
A Rolex 16613 was never more than 1-2seconds +/- from the moment I bought it blind off eBay (with no seller knowledge) in 1998 until I traded it in 2017. The only service it ever received was an RSC confirmation of authenticity and a bracelet cleaning.
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 05:20 AM   #14
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I’ve bought 4 APs brand new from an AD 3 of which were chronographs and there haven’t been any problems with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 10:35 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’ve bought 4 APs brand new from an AD 3 of which were chronographs and there haven’t been any problems with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had 2 chronos and both have been fine too, touch wood.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 10:59 AM   #16
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
Hi,
So I've heard/read quite many horror stories of the reliability of AP in general.
My 15202 is running perfectly. And the 5-year warranty provides a lot of confidence.

One time my wife's new Rolex had to be sent in for a total overhaul after a few months of very light use. I think every company makes production mistakes from time to time.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 08:06 PM   #17
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

I definitely feel more aware and cautious when wearing my AP. As being my first AP, I am still enjoying and appreciating the finishing and it is just too beautiful to scratch! Might get over it in a few months...probably won't though
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 03:35 AM   #18
Xerxes77
Banned

For the moment 3126/3840 movement have bigs problems but chrono module are the cause.
3120 I don’t hear to have any problems and 2385 movement!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote