The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 August 2019, 05:43 AM   #1
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

A Triple 6....gone

Just wanted to drop a note about something that happened at work. Shows how us, watch enthusiasts and vintage collectors, have a totally different relationship with our watches than "other people".

So, I have this friend that sits on a different floor, I don't see him often but we have lunch together every now and then. He was given a triple 6 Sea Dweller from his grandfather when he was just a kid, with engraving on the caseback, really nice matching tritium dial, bezel and hands, never polished, never serviced....just amazing. I always said I would buy the watch knowing full well that he would never sell it. He is not a watch guy but he knows what he has.

I saw him this week and, as usual, took a look at his wrist. From the side, I realized that the watch was shining a bit more than usual, and wondered if he had it polished.

It turns out that the watch stopped a while ago so he decided to take it to RSC NY. They told him that they wouldn't service it without replacing all "old" parts. He initially pushed back but since RSC insisted that it was their policy, he had it serviced. Said that the thought only RSC could do the job/give a warranty.

I then took a closer look at it...new dial, hands, bezel, polish. As someone who is always looking for a triple 6 myself, it pained me to see it!

He wasn't really bothered by it, as he will never sell, and I also tried not to show a lot of reaction to what was done (while I was ).

Anyway, that's it. I wonder what RSC does with all of the parts that they replace. I'm sure they don't destroy it...there are too many replacement dials and hands on the secondary market, I wonder what happens....
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:00 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
Just wanted to drop a note about something that happened at work. Shows how us, watch enthusiasts and vintage collectors, have a totally different relationship with our watches than "other people".

So, I have this friend that sits on a different floor, I don't see him often but we have lunch together every now and then. He was given a triple 6 Sea Dweller from his grandfather when he was just a kid, with engraving on the caseback, really nice matching tritium dial, bezel and hands, never polished, never serviced....just amazing. I always said I would buy the watch knowing full well that he would never sell it. He is not a watch guy but he knows what he has.

I saw him this week and, as usual, took a look at his wrist. From the side, I realized that the watch was shining a bit more than usual, and wondered if he had it polished.

It turns out that the watch stopped a while ago so he decided to take it to RSC NY. They told him that they wouldn't service it without replacing all "old" parts. He initially pushed back but since RSC insisted that it was their policy, he had it serviced. Said that the thought only RSC could do the job/give a warranty.

I then took a closer look at it...new dial, hands, bezel, polish. As someone who is always looking for a triple 6 myself, it pained me to see it!

He wasn't really bothered by it, as he will never sell, and I also tried not to show a lot of reaction to what was done (while I was ).

Anyway, that's it. I wonder what RSC does with all of the parts that they replace. I'm sure they don't destroy it...there are too many replacement dials and hands on the secondary market, I wonder what happens....
They don’t throw out the old Parts,I’m pretty sure Rolex is up on what these parts bring on the open Market.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:04 AM   #3
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Wonder if they took his date wheel! That would be the biggest travesty...

I lucked out and got this one for $4K back in 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:14 AM   #4
Lucky Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

Perfection

Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:17 AM   #5
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Now I understand your handle here! ha!

I'm pretty sure that they replaced the date wheel as well..."why not, let's just totally gut this beauty"

The only part that they didn't replace was the engraved case back. When he told me that was actually my first question. Maybe that would be better - he would never replace the caseback and would have his all original watch today...
Old 17 August 2019, 09:30 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I always said I would buy the watch knowing full well that he would never sell it. He is not a watch guy but he knows what he had.

Fixed that for ya...what he had was something special...

BTW, was he just negligent in routine overhauls? Can’t understand all the parts you called out needing replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:06 AM   #7
05carbondrz
Banned

Ouch!
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:48 AM   #8
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Was it a matte 666? If so that would be an even bigger shame
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:56 AM   #9
marcellomatt5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv / 16610LN
Matter of perspective... to him the watch now is perfecy than never.
marcellomatt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 18 August 2019, 04:20 AM   #11
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Fixed that for ya...what he had was something special...

BTW, was he just negligent in routine overhauls? Can’t understand all the parts you called out needing replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The dials in the mid 80s were garbage - low point in the brand. You basically can’t find one that doesn’t have deterioration.

Old 18 August 2019, 05:18 AM   #12
Glosstritium
Banned

Quote:
The dials in the mid 80s were garbage - low point in the brand. You basically can’t find one that doesn’t have deterioration.

Mines from 1984... Garbage?

[/QUOTE]
Glosstritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:12 AM   #13
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosstritium View Post
Mines from 1984... Garbage?

[/QUOTE]

Mine is from ‘84 too, and has plenty of dial deterioration that shouldn’t be there. It’s nigh impossible to find sports watches of that era with clean dials. Don’t take my word for it, it’s easy to find the same opinion here about 80s dials.

Old 20 August 2019, 12:06 AM   #14
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Was it a matte 666? If so that would be an even bigger shame
No, it was the glossy one, but is had no "spider" BS, so it was pretty clean. Great light yellow patina, hands with just a bit of corrosion, but no different from any other tritium set from the 80's.

If I were the SA at RSC I would just ask him to think twice about it, and to search for other alternatives in case he wanted to keep the watch in original condition. He felt kinda luck between a rock and a hard place and eventually gave in...
Old 20 August 2019, 01:11 AM   #15
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, it was the glossy one, but is had no "spider" BS, so it was pretty clean. Great light yellow patina, hands with just a bit of corrosion, but no different from any other tritium set from the 80's.

If I were the SA at RSC I would just ask him to think twice about it, and to search for other alternatives in case he wanted to keep the watch in original condition. He felt kinda luck between a rock and a hard place and eventually gave in...

Yeah, my vintages only go to the Ridleys...

Old 20 August 2019, 11:54 AM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Rolex intends to return watches to their original condition at service, and that's logical from a certain point of view.

I get that they have no business in the vintage market, but it's a real disservice to destroy so much value when the client isn't aware of what the watch will be worth before and after service. They should at least discuss this with customers ahead of making major replacements.

People who don't know any better are losing thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars in value at RSC service.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:01 AM   #17
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

umm, really? Feel pretty comfortable with dial on mine. Case is pristine and untouched as well.

Serviced by Ridley. Crying shame what RSC does to vintage pieces. Not only do they not support them by providing wear parts but they actively destroy them when they get their hands on them. They could make a nice profit providing crystals and crowns and bezel rings and such. Instead I have to buy parts when I find them and hoard them until I might eventually need them in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6753.jpg (278.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4901.jpeg (72.7 KB, 261 views)
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:00 AM   #18
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
The watch was sold when he let them service the watch with all new parts.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:05 AM   #19
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellomatt5 View Post
Matter of perspective... to him the watch now is perfecy than never.
And since he is the owner, I believe that is all that matters.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:19 PM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Until he either wants to sell it (which he currently doesn't) or the next generation inherits it. That's when the loss of value will matter.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:30 PM   #21
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It matters. May not matter to him but it matters.
Old 21 August 2019, 09:27 PM   #22
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPDK View Post
It matters. May not matter to him but it matters.
Strange concept of ownership. We’re not talking about being entrusted with caring for a priceless piece of historical art and I guess he should maintain his auto at a high standard to preserve it for the next owner.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:42 PM   #23
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Strange concept of ownership. We’re not talking about being entrusted with caring for a priceless piece of historical art and I guess he should maintain his auto at a high standard to preserve it for the next owner.

The analogy you are looking for is taking a vintage 911, pulling out the flat 6 and installing a Ford Ecoboost V6. If that concept isn't abhorrent to you then there are plenty of 4 digit Rolex with luminova service dials out there waiting for you to purchase.

If you are passed along a family heirloom it's your job to preserve and conserve it for the next generation. You "own" a Casio, Grandfathers watch is something you conserve. At least that is how I view it.
Old 21 August 2019, 11:33 PM   #24
zapokee
"TRF" Member

If you bought a fine old work of art and had it restored beyond recognition, you might still enjoy it in your collection, but you would have significantly impaired its value as far as the market is concerned.

The Mona Lisa might also look pretty cool with neon laser eyes and luminous hair.
Old 22 August 2019, 01:45 AM   #25
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

I think its one of those cases where he is so sure that he (of future generations) will never it, that he doesn't really care as much as we do. He has a lot of money in the family, so I guess they won't part with it unless really necessary. But such a shame...

This is his only watch, so he really uses it everyday since his grandad gave it to him 25 years ago...
Old 24 August 2019, 07:16 AM   #26
TheDude
"TRF" Member

A Triple 6....gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPDK View Post
umm, really? Feel pretty comfortable with dial on mine. Case is pristine and untouched as well.

Serviced by Ridley. Crying shame what RSC does to vintage pieces. Not only do they not support them by providing wear parts but they actively destroy them when they get their hands on them. They could make a nice profit providing crystals and crowns and bezel rings and such. Instead I have to buy parts when I find them and hoard them until I might eventually need them in the future.

The matte dials didn’t have the issues to which I’m referring. Those mainly were well before mid-80s anyway (some probably hit as late as ‘84).

I didn’t make a point of highlighting the “gloss only” distinction because the subject of this thread has been gloss...

Beautiful watch!! - Amazing example!

Old 24 August 2019, 08:07 AM   #27
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The matte dials didn’t have the issues to which I’m referring. Those mainly were well before mid-80s anyway (some probably hit as late as ‘84).

I didn’t make a point of highlighting the “gloss only” distinction because the subject of this thread has been gloss...

Beautiful watch!! - Amazing example!

Agreed. Your point is well taken. Was too busy being annoyed by another vintage piece being defiled by swap to luminova. Can't express how much that bothers me. My hope is that the owner of the watch just enjoys it and never realizes what he agreed to. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

BTW mine is an 81.