The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2019, 12:53 AM   #1
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Daylight Savings Time Discussion

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...550145631.html

As a watch collector, its a real pain in the a$$ to reset all my quartz watches twice a year...

Makes sense to me!

Old 19 August 2019, 12:55 AM   #2
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
If it’s good for Arizona and Hawaii it should be same for all IMO.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:07 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_po6xstrJsj1ql2puk_1280.jpg (39.1 KB, 211 views)
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:18 AM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
If it’s good for Arizona and Hawaii it should be same for all IMO.
Arizona and Hawaii are still on standard time.

This article is about adopting daylight saving time year round, which is something that I do not support.

I prefer standard time and I always have and I always will.

I do agree to drop the switch, but do it by ditching DST.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:18 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...550145631.html

As a watch collector, its a real pain in the a$$ to reset all my quartz watches twice a year...

Makes sense to me!

"In the days after our chronically sleep-deprived country “springs forward,” costing us an hour of rest, disoriented Americans face a slightly greater risk of heart attack and stroke. There are more car crashes. Workplace accidents increase, too."

Seriously, car crashes and heart attacks. Go to bed an hour early you morons.

I don't like being bothered with the time changes but if people are dying and crashing their cars maybe there's a bigger issue here.
Old 19 August 2019, 02:47 AM   #6
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I don’t care one way or another whether we adopt DST all year round or stay on standard time. I just want to stick with one time and not have to move my watches and clocks twice a year. Just pick one and move forward.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:54 AM   #7
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Arizona and Hawaii are still on standard time.

This article is about adopting daylight saving time year round, which is something that I do not support.

I prefer standard time and I always have and I always will.

I think I actually prefer DST due to the longer hours of daylight in the evening but could live with either one. I grew up in Canada and in the summer it was light until 10:30 PM but in California its getting dark at 8:30 ish.

Hawaii is close to the equator and it's daylight is roughly 7 AM to 7 PM if I remember correctly, so they run on about 12 hours light and 12 dark.

New Mexico is probably close to the same as California.

Why do you prefer standard time instead of the DST. Just wondering?
Old 19 August 2019, 03:08 AM   #8
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Florida voted to abolish it but Congress has to approve it...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...030-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:15 AM   #9
77T

Quote:

I think over time your opinion will win out. Year round DST would lead to more heat strokes as climate change affects all aspects of life.

Global Warming will be the motive to get home in the dark (when it’s slightly cooler) to play outdoors.

Data suggests twice a year time shifts are more dangerous and troublesome than the benefits of...well what benefits?

Most of the alleged benefits have been debunked.

During the last time US debated and passed DST, both senators from Idaho voted for it based on the premise that fast-food restaurants sell more French fries during DST, which are made from Idaho potatoes.

Other crazy claims continue to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:18 AM   #10
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think I actually prefer DST due to the longer hours of daylight in the evening but could live with either one. I grew up in Canada and in the summer it was light until 10:30 PM but in California its getting dark at 8:30 ish.

Hawaii is close to the equator and it's daylight is roughly 7 AM to 7 PM if I remember correctly, so they run on about 12 hours light and 12 dark.

New Mexico is probably close to the same as California.

Why do you prefer standard time instead of the DST. Just wondering?
Standard time allows for one more hour to cool down before bedtime.

Most of my childhood was spent using standard time only, so it's what seems most natural to me.

The biggest thing I dislike about the "switch" though is driving in rush hour in the daylight one day and driving in the dark the next.

I'm retired now, so that doesn't bother me now, but it used to take me a week or so to adjust.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 19 August 2019, 03:23 AM   #11
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Florida voted to abolish it but Congress has to approve it...

A close reading of Rubio’s bill states Florida will not abolish DST; instead Florida wants to go on permanent DST and drag the entire US into the change.

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/...ct-of-2019.pdf

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:23 AM   #12
Brew
"TRF" Member

A semi-annual reminder that time is a fiction, made and measured only by humans.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:43 AM   #13
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
A close reading of Rubio’s bill states Florida will not abolish DST; instead Florida wants to go on permanent DST and drag the entire US into the change.

Well hopefully we can agree to abolish a time change, but as with most things here, if one side wants DST and the other doesn't, then guess what?

We'll get neither and stay with the stupid system we have now.

I think Europe wants permanent DST but not sure on that.

If I remember correctly when the DST time change originally happened, in Canada anyways, it was sold as more time in the evening to spend outdoors with family during the warmer summer months.

Some DST history: https://www.history.com/news/8-thing...ht-saving-time
Old 19 August 2019, 04:47 AM   #14
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Standard time. Visiting AZ now, drove out in the car which not only remains on Standard Time (Mountain Time without the DST, which we call "AZ Time"), but I leave the car on AZ Time. It is either than or wear two watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3974.jpg (109.7 KB, 170 views)
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:22 AM   #15
ㅇㅅㅇ
"TRF" Member

The entire concept was just stupid from the beginning, if people were so bothered by wasting daylight hours in the early morning they should have self-adjusted their schedules accordingly. Go to work at from 0800-1600 instead of 0900-1700. Madness.
ㅇㅅㅇ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 10:13 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Stupid antiquated tradition that should end. Causes more heart attacks than anything I’m told. Maybe bs Idk lol
Old 19 August 2019, 11:36 AM   #17
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Poor choice of words on my part - I’m aware that he wants permanent DST which is what we’ve been talking about here.

Old 19 August 2019, 11:57 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wish we’d use DST all year round.

I hate driving home at 5 pm in the dark at winter time.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:37 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wish we’d use DST all year round.

I hate driving home at 5 pm in the dark at winter time.
Same here. Early nightfall is the absolute worst part of winter in my opinion. And that says a lot given where we are located
Old 19 August 2019, 05:40 PM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Was in Alaska about a month or so ago... the sun NEVER set :)

Here's a pic... 9:30pm in Alaska.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 10:28 PM   #21
Cru Jones

More light in the morning in winter when it’s needed (kids to school).

But, more light later in the day in the summer when there’s enough in the morning.

I like the switch and don’t understand the complaints.... it’s not hard to adjust.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 10:41 PM   #22
Andad

Watch: A few.
We like daylight saving in Oz.

Our curtains don’t fade so much.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:18 AM   #23
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
More light in the morning in winter when it’s needed (kids to school)...
That was my understanding as well.
As much as I prefer daylight later in the day, we as a community agree that it's safer that the children attend school (walk, wait for busses) in daylight.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 04:23 AM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Nothing is saved by DST. The earth’s orbit around the sun is static as is the rotation of the earth. Length of day is unaltered by DST. You dont get a longer day or more daylight with DST. And, depending on where you are in the time zone, DST can make your day worse.

It’s an archaic concept with no place in a 24/7 world. But we will be stuck with it because people think that changing the time displayed on a clock makes the day longer.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 04:32 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Nothing is saved by DST. The earth’s orbit around the sun is static as is the rotation of the earth. Length of day is unaltered by DST. You dont get a longer day or more daylight with DST. And, depending on where you are in the time zone, DST can make your day worse.

It’s an archaic concept with no place in a 24/7 world. But we will be stuck with it because people think that changing the time displayed on a clock makes the day longer.
days are the same length but daylight when you are awake does make a difference. It makes better use of daylight, especially so in areas that have less of it.

I would rather have my kids with an extra hour of daylight to play outside in the spring vs the sun being out earlier in the morning when they are at school.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 09:13 AM   #26
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
days are the same length but daylight when you are awake does make a difference. It makes better use of daylight, especially so in areas that have less of it.

I would rather have my kids with an extra hour of daylight to play outside in the spring vs the sun being out earlier in the morning when they are at school.
Way back in the last century (1974-1975) there was a period of time when DST was federally mandated for about a year and a half because of the energy crisis.

It did not go well.
It was 1974, and the energy crisis was cutting into the American way of life, with odd-even gas rationing, a national speed limit and shortened Nascar races. The Emergency Daylight Saving Time Act signed by President Nixon dictated that clocks would spring forward one hour on Jan. 6 — and stay that way for almost 16 months, until April 27, 1975.

By fall, the dark mornings were apparently wearing on the American people. Proclaiming “it’s for the children” — those scholars standing at bus stops in the predawn — lawmakers threw in the towel of gloom. Year-round DST was scrapped, and on Oct. 27, clocks fell back.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/...-went-too-far/

Richard Nixon infamously mandated year-round daylight saving in 1974 and 1975. This decision did not soften the blow of the OPEC oil embargo, but it did put school children on pitch-black streets every morning until the plan was scaled back. A Department of Transportation study concluded that Nixon's experiment yielded no definitive fuel saving. It optimistically speculated, however, that daylight saving might one day help us conserve as many as 100,000 barrels of oil a day. Based on that projection and the hope of reducing street crime, in 1986 and again this year Congress extended daylight saving by a month. But there has been no corresponding reduction in oil consumption or crime.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/09/o...ss-summer.html

Old 20 August 2019, 09:33 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Way back in the last century (1974-1975) there was a period of time when DST was federally mandated for about a year and a half because of the energy crisis.

It did not go well.
It was 1974, and the energy crisis was cutting into the American way of life, with odd-even gas rationing, a national speed limit and shortened Nascar races. The Emergency Daylight Saving Time Act signed by President Nixon dictated that clocks would spring forward one hour on Jan. 6 — and stay that way for almost 16 months, until April 27, 1975.

By fall, the dark mornings were apparently wearing on the American people. Proclaiming “it’s for the children” — those scholars standing at bus stops in the predawn — lawmakers threw in the towel of gloom. Year-round DST was scrapped, and on Oct. 27, clocks fell back.

Richard Nixon infamously mandated year-round daylight saving in 1974 and 1975. This decision did not soften the blow of the OPEC oil embargo, but it did put school children on pitch-black streets every morning until the plan was scaled back. A Department of Transportation study concluded that Nixon's experiment yielded no definitive fuel saving. It optimistically speculated, however, that daylight saving might one day help us conserve as many as 100,000 barrels of oil a day. Based on that projection and the hope of reducing street crime, in 1986 and again this year Congress extended daylight saving by a month. But there has been no corresponding reduction in oil consumption or crime.

i like the regular time in the winter, then its light earlier. So i like standard time and DST. I dont think we should go to DST all the time or none of the time

to me it just makes sense to adjust your clocks to match the days as there is significantly more hours of sunlight in the summer than the winter
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 10:00 AM   #28
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Daylight Savings Time Discussion

Everything that uses a central time source displays time as an offset from UTC already. If we ever see a day when all devices source time from an external source, time could be adjusted in very small increments (daily for example) to mimic the solar calendar. If you’re going to follow the sun, why just change twice a year? We don’t even do it evenly - ~4 months standard and ~8 months daylight...

30 seconds a day during a 4 month window and 15 seconds a day during the 8 month window nets you an hour. Heck, most watches drift as much daily anyway...

Old 20 August 2019, 10:31 AM   #29
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i like the regular time in the winter, then its light earlier. So i like standard time and DST. I dont think we should go to DST all the time or none of the time

to me it just makes sense to adjust your clocks to match the days as there is significantly more hours of sunlight in the summer than the winter
And hence, no reason to change your clock.

The daylight is greater than 12 hours in the summer. Sliding the time an hour doesnt accomplish anything during the customary work/school day.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 10:35 AM   #30
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:

It did not go well.

I remember that well, Grady, and the outrage at having kids on the street waiting for buses and not visible in the morning when going to school.