The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2019, 11:24 PM   #1
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Questions About Selling on Chrono24

Hey everyone! I recently sold my Rolex Oyster Perpetual 34 114200 on Chrono24. The buyer received the package on Saturday and has now asked for a refund on Monday. He says the watch is too small. I haven't asked yet if he means the bracelet won't fit his wrist or the watch head is too small.

He's offered to send it back and cover the cost of shipping and send me money to cover what I paid for shipping. I want to be reasonable but that seems like an oversight by him, right?

What's your advice?
MordinSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:29 PM   #2
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
My opinion: you're not a dealer / store. He made the purchase, now it's on him to sell it due to the reason that you gave above. Just because it doesn't fit him, does that make it your problem?? NOPE.
Old 19 August 2019, 11:29 PM   #3
Catatafish

Watch: Sub 126610LV
I've used Chrono24 before and it's usually pretty clear that refunds are only when it was inaccurately advertised. Not to mention, wouldn't you also lose the Chrono24 commission? I'd be a little suspicious of what he was sending back as well.
Catatafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:29 PM   #4
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Did you outline a return policy in your listing?

I had a similar issue on ebay where the buyer didn't realize the bracelet width didn't match the lug width of his watch and asked for a refund. I politely declined and basically said "I'm sorry, but that's not my fault I clearly stated the dimensions in the ad." It's not your job to make sure the watch fits him the way he imagined in his head.

In this case I would probably decline, but depending on the buyer's disposition I'd consider accepting the return especially if you didn't clearly state something in the listing. If he goes nuclear I'd rather just get the watch back and move on.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:32 PM   #5
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I agree with everyone here. Not your problem. He bought something he didn’t like. If his request is allowed based on your return policy, that is a different story, and a small lesson learned on your end. Otherwise, I would politely decline his request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 11:48 PM   #6
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice so far! I'm leaning in the direction of politely declining. I didn't outline a return policy since I'm a private seller, but I definitely didn't list anything incorrectly. If anything, i overemphasize the flaws of the watch to make sure the buyer has all the information possible.
Old 20 August 2019, 12:19 AM   #7
220e
"TRF" Member

The buyer seems really polite, I’d be worried about what he’d be returning.
220e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 12:27 AM   #8
badass09
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116613LBD
I think talk to chrono24 on what u can do since you used their platform to sell and if you were going to accept his return then tell him that you would only refund him if the watch is returned back in as is condition and once everything checks out to be fine then issue him a refund.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
badass09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 01:22 AM   #9
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
Caveat Emptor.....

I would decline a refund and possibly instruct him how to post an ad on TRF, or Chrono 24. He can flip it on his own.
Beo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:08 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Nope.

The buyer should try harder to love it first and then catch and release if it’s not singing. If you didn’t explicitly state refund rules, it’s not obligatory.

(This is all Amazon’s and eBay’s fault)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:13 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catatafish View Post
I've used Chrono24 before and it's usually pretty clear that refunds are only when it was inaccurately advertised. Not to mention, wouldn't you also lose the Chrono24 commission? I'd be a little suspicious of what he was sending back as well.
just make sure you have the actual reason presented for the return documented.... because the story may change later if the refund is declined.

All of a sudden it becomes a return because its fake or a return because its damaged.

TBH i would be more nervous of what happens next after OP says no.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:16 AM   #12
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

I have the original reason for the return documented in messages on Chrono24, so I'm not overly worried about him changing his story.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2019, 02:19 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I have the original reason for the return documented in messages on Chrono24, so I'm not overly worried about him changing his story.

there is no upside for you accepting the return. I would only consider it if i was a dealer and wanted to avoid a public complaint.... even if the complaint was unjustified
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:22 AM   #14
77T

Questions About Selling on Chrono24

Before you decide how to reply, consider your exposure. There are 3 parties involved beyond you and the seller. First, the platform, next two potential payment vendors.

But were you clear in your listing?

For example, did you expressly State “no returns”? That would help you if a squabble breaks out. If not then this could become an issue. But if you stated no returns then you’re in a safer place.

Selling a 34mm watch is always hard when the buyer has no idea of its size.
Was the size disclosed, or did you expect the buyer to know it was 34mm?

Next, how did payment occur?

Did you offer trusted checkout? If so, Chrono24 May get involved.

If not, and the buyer paid you directly, then did you accept PayPal? That can become testy especially if the buyer uses a CC like Amex to fund the PP payment.

Chrono24 notes in their T&C’s that there are no laws regulating the right of return for purchases made from private sellers. But you may get tangled up if PP is involved and the buyer becomes entrenched.

Remember, if you accept a return and the watch is perfect, and you get your commission back from Chrono24, then you have control over the refund.

Whatever you decide, I’ll bet your next deal is through the TRF classifieds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #15
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Before you decide how to reply, consider your exposure. There are 3 parties involved beyond you and the seller. First, the platform, next two potential payment vendors.

But were you clear in your listing?

For example, did you expressly State “no returns”? That would help you if a squabble breaks out. If not then this could become an issue. But if you stated no returns then you’re in a safer place.

Selling a 34mm watch is always hard when the buyer has no idea of its size.
Was the size disclosed, or did you expect the buyer to know it was 34mm?

Next, how did payment occur?

Did you offer trusted checkout? If so, Chrono24 May get involved.

If not, and the buyer paid you directly, then did you accept PayPal? That can become testy especially if the buyer uses a CC like Amex to fund the PP payment.

Chrono24 notes in their T&C’s that there are no laws regulating the right of return for purchases made from private sellers. But you may get tangled up if PP is involved and the buyer becomes entrenched.

Remember, if you accept a return and the watch is perfect, and you get your commission back from Chrono24, then you have control over the refund.

Whatever you decide, I’ll bet your next deal is through the TRF classifieds...

I didn't state any return policy in my posting, but I will from now on.

I made it very clear that I was a 34mm watch. I'm not actually sure if he's saying that the bracelet circumference is too small or the 34mm watch head. That's something I'm going to ask him.

He payed through Chrono24 escrow.

I actually did have it posted on TRF but it went on Chrono24 first.

Thanks for taking the time to write a reply like this. I appreciate it.

Old 20 August 2019, 04:05 AM   #16
77T

If you’re going to decline the return, maybe unlink your bank account with the escrow service.

Just a precaution.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 04:44 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Decline the return. You aren’t a dealer and don’t have a reputation to protect with regards to this sort of thing. That’s not a justification for return and you aren’t Amazon.
Old 20 August 2019, 11:25 AM   #18
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Update: I declined the return and told him about several different ways to re-sell the watch if he doesn't like it. We'll see how he responds.

Old 20 August 2019, 12:21 PM   #19
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the world of selling watches on the internet.

(My sarcasm is intended to relay how common this is.)
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 12:59 PM   #20
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I have purchased thru Chrono24 as well as some other online sellers and my number one concern that I always addressed was returns and I wanted to make sure I understood the return policies of each seller and if it was not clearly outlined or disclosed with a paper trail I declined to purchase from that seller so if you clearly outlined your return policy along with a clear description of that piece and he still purchased then I would decline and buyers remorse is not a valid reason if that’s the case
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrono24 , rolex oyster perpetual , seller , selling