The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2019, 12:57 AM   #31
khazard
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
According to the person who posted this, it was a joke. They clearly stated this in the next line of their post.
That post was edited after a few of the “you can’t be serious” responses. That next line likely wasn’t included in the initial response that other users were responding to.
khazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:49 AM   #32
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
its funny how this stuff changes and matters to some people and not others...

I remember back in the day it was having both tags, the bezel protector, inner and outer boxes, and keeping the hologram on along with the latest version of the serial number you could find....

thankfully rolex moved away from trackable serial numbers, the hologram, and now dealers are taking stickers off at point of sale which hopefully gets people less focused on this stuff. I'd even be good with them just giving folks the green box, watch, manual and be done with it....though a part of me does like the little chronometer hangtag

I have much of it for the watches I have but beyond when I purchased them I have never gone back and looked at it

It matters if you're selling or maybe someday for whoever gets it and an episode of antiques roadshow....
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 03:09 AM   #33
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I like to wear mine on a chain around my neck.
Old 20 August 2019, 03:19 AM   #34
bigdavep
"TRF" Member

I got the serial tag but not a bezel protector with my DSSD. For some reason i'd have rather had the bezel protector
bigdavep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 03:50 AM   #35
donut
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN/LV/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I still consider it a complete set. It’s a bonus to have but not a must.
This.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 03:55 AM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerstingray View Post
If a Rolex (a newer model) comes with the original green Rolex box, a cardboard box, booklets, a warranty card, and a green hangtag but not a serial tag, is it still considered a complete set?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
It's important. You look like an idiot wearing a stickered watch around without the accompanying serial tag and bezel protector
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 04:58 AM   #37
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
The watch and warranty papers are the most important! Everything else is replaceable!
How is an individual serial tag replaceable?? They make 1 per watch.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 05:21 AM   #38
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
I like to wear mine on a chain around my neck.
Me to so that they can see i can afford a couple instead of just one..
I have gold teeth to and a iced out dreadlock
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 05:35 AM   #39
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
I don't consider it a full set if the serial tag is missing. I find it ridiculous that a dealer would withhold this tag. There is no good reason for them to keep it. The only reason I can think of, and it is not a good one, is that they are too lazy to keep proper records of their sales and they use the tags as a reference when they make some kind of sales summary. I know, stupid and lazy, but I can't see any other reason.

If I am buying a used watch, getting the full set is a big deal to me, and yes, I consider the serial tag to be an important part of the full set, much more important than other generic parts of the set that can easily be replaced. The serial tag is unique to the watch, booklets, boxes and the other tag are not.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 05:43 AM   #40
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by khazard View Post
That post was edited after a few of the “you can’t be serious” responses. That next line likely wasn’t included in the initial response that other users were responding to.
Thank you. That’s exactly correct. Integrity is in short supply these days
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 06:07 AM   #41
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I don't consider it a full set if the serial tag is missing. I find it ridiculous that a dealer would withhold this tag. There is no good reason for them to keep it. The only reason I can think of, and it is not a good one, is that they are too lazy to keep proper records of their sales and they use the tags as a reference when they make some kind of sales summary. I know, stupid and lazy, but I can't see any other reason.

If I am buying a used watch, getting the full set is a big deal to me, and yes, I consider the serial tag to be an important part of the full set, much more important than other generic parts of the set that can easily be replaced. The serial tag is unique to the watch, booklets, boxes and the other tag are not.
I've had one AD tell me that it's their policy to withhold the serial tag along with the bezel protector. I've had a different AD include everything but the serial tag, and when I asked him about it he said "you want this? I was going to throw it away for you".

I'm curious, if you were interested in purchasing a pre-owned watch that didn't include this tag, would you still purchase it or would you pass on it because it didn't have the tag? Would you pay more for one with a tag?
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 06:14 AM   #42
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I'm curious, if you were interested in purchasing a pre-owned watch that didn't include this tag, would you still purchase it or would you pass on it because it didn't have the tag? Would you pay more for one with a tag?
If I had the choice I would always pick one with the tag, everything else being equal.

Would I pass if it did not have the tag? It would depend on how much I wanted that particular watch, I can see myself buying a watch with no box and papers at all if that particular watch really means something to me.

Yes, I would 100% pay more for one with the tag.

How would I have felt if my dealer had withheld any part of the full set when he sold me my watch? Annoyed and insulted.

This so called "policy" of withholding bits and pieces is arbitrary and vexing. You would think they are doing this just to be a pain in the rear end, because it is no skin of their back to hand these things over.
Old 20 August 2019, 06:43 AM   #43
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
My AD (USA) gives all tags, bezel cover etc. He'll pull a few stickers off when sizing. He's never been told to withhold anything from Rolex. I dont really care but I'm certain it's the individual ADs decision.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 06:54 AM   #44
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
If I had the choice I would always pick one with the tag, everything else being equal.

Would I pass if it did not have the tag? It would depend on how much I wanted that particular watch, I can see myself buying a watch with no box and papers at all if that particular watch really means something to me.

Yes, I would 100% pay more for one with the tag.

How would I have felt if my dealer had withheld any part of the full set when he sold me my watch? Annoyed and insulted.

This so called "policy" of withholding bits and pieces is arbitrary and vexing. You would think they are doing this just to be a pain in the rear end, because it is no skin of their back to hand these things over.
I don't get the logic either. Barron and Leeds are the ones that withheld the tag, and for a brief moment I almost said screw it and was going to cancel the sale. It was a Bluesy so not a high demand item, and they had already printed my name on the warranty, ran my card, and peeled the stickers. So if I insisted on the tag and bezel protector it would have become an issue I think. But they always validate my parking in Waikiki and they're super cool so I decided not to make a stink of it. And I would think if I made them cancel the sale they would never call me again.

But Ben Bridge will give me watches fully stickered and even offer the coffin.

So yeah, not sure why some dealers insist on this nonsense and others could care less.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 07:01 AM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

its a slippery slope as there will always be just one more item that needs to be included... bezel protectors, shipping coffins etc.

IMO everything that is intended to be presented with the watch is a full set. Not bits and bobs that are more for the AD or shipping

if it was for the customer i would think it would look nicer... like the green hang tag.

the easiest parallel is people wanting cardboard shipping boxes and the plastic bag it came it from Patek. Patek put a stop to that probably for many reasons the most obvious being the presentation box is how its supposed to be presented to the customer who bought it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 07:08 AM   #46
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerstingray View Post
If a Rolex (a newer model) comes with the original green Rolex box, a cardboard box, booklets, a warranty card, and a green hangtag but not a serial tag, is it still considered a complete set?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Yes that is a full set. The AD usually keeps the serial tag, but if they leave it in then I guess it is some sort of bonus, although I have no idea what use it has after you take possession.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 07:24 AM   #47
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Yes that is a full set. The AD usually keeps the serial tag, but if they leave it in then I guess it is some sort of bonus, although I have no idea what use it has after you take possession.
It is useful in the sense that it makes it easier to sell the watch should you at some point wish to do so. That is logical. Dealers keeping the tags so that they can throw them away later is not logical. It is downright weird.
Old 20 August 2019, 07:36 AM   #48
nick800
"TRF" Member

I’ve bought 4 watches at USA AD’s in 2019 and got both hang tags, bezel protector, and shipping coffin in all cases without asking.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:02 PM   #49
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrente View Post
I asked for that tag to my AD and they told me that they keep it.
Same happened with me few weeks ago
IsaakZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:06 PM   #50
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
Some ADs keep it and staple it to the receipt for their records (this is what one AD does) When I purchased my 500LN they wanted to do this but I requested it and they gave it. Other ADs just throw it out when you leave the store along with the stickers and white cardboard box.

One funny thing is that some ADs now, are taking pictures of the watch in the box with the stickers removed sitting next to it along with the warranty card named/dated (possibly to show or have a record that they followed Rolex protocol)
Forgot they also photocopied the warranty card and the receipt
IsaakZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 03:13 PM   #51
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
One scenario where the hang tag is important are some of Pepsi 16710BLRO where the original point of sale was non-US AD.

US ADs had warranty paper designation of 16710A or B or N — with 16710B as the Pepsi. Non-US ADs didn’t use the A/B/N, but the serial number hang tag would list the model “16710BLRO.” Rolex can tell what a 16710 was “born” by looking up its serial number, nut the hang tag can be another piece of provenance when purchasing a 16710.

As others have noted, many ADs now keep them. For my 114060, the AD took the sticker off the hang tag, and put it in a sort of log book.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 03:44 PM   #52
Moemalass1981
"TRF" Member

they took my BLRO price tag, COSC tag and Basel protect
it doesnt matter anyway
watch is NOT FOR SALE
Moemalass1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 07:59 PM   #53
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Have the Rolex crowd lost their sense of humour?

The tag is more important than the watch? It's clearly a joke, poking fun at someone obsessing over a little plastic tag.

Perhaps the Rolex shortage is causing withdrawal symptoms.

^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 08:01 PM   #54
dori
Banned

Tag isn’t important. Enjoy the watch
dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 08:37 PM   #55
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori View Post
Tag isn’t important. Enjoy the watch
Have to agree the older plastic barcode is much like the newer small round bar code on side of case only of use in the real world at the Rolex factory its just keeps track to where ever that completed watch model is stored nothing more.And like most of the bits of plastic and watch stickers,bezel protectors etc no real use only to protect watch in transit, other bits except the green certification tag purely for Rolex and Rolex AD inventory.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 09:03 PM   #56
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a slippery slope as there will always be just one more item that needs to be included... bezel protectors, shipping coffins etc.

IMO everything that is intended to be presented with the watch is a full set. Not bits and bobs that are more for the AD or shipping

if it was for the customer i would think it would look nicer... like the green hang tag.

the easiest parallel is people wanting cardboard shipping boxes and the plastic bag it came it from Patek. Patek put a stop to that probably for many reasons the most obvious being the presentation box is how its supposed to be presented to the customer who bought it.
This....the shipping cover was a new one to me, and its interesting how people seem to care about it, then again I have never gotten nor asked for one so I am possibly biased, but I too would consider a "full set" to be that which was intended to be given to the customer, eg. manual, presentation box, warranty card, and watch.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote