The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 August 2019, 10:39 PM   #1
jwjbaker
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II 16760 "Fat Lady" question

Hi guys,

I have been eyeing up this 16760 that my jeweler has had for a bit now. It seems to be a mk3 original dial, full set and in great shape. It looks like the case hasn't been polished but bracelet possibly done.

Curious about thoughts on if the hands are original as the lume seems to have aged differently than the dial. I prefer a nice patina to it, but there is something to be said about such a well kept piece that has me interested. Curious on what others feel about how this example should be priced at as I feel the jeweler is asking a bit more than its worth. Market for these watches hasn't seemed to be there lately so unsure of current value. Apologies if pictures aren't the best, I haven't posted on this forum before and it only let me upload smaller images.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16760 1.jpg (231.0 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 16760 2.jpg (277.9 KB, 333 views)
jwjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 12:24 AM   #2
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
First thing I would do is check the dial under UV light.
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 02:10 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
That case appears as if it has indeed been polished. Look at the crown guards alone, and is that a pin sticking out of the top right lug? Would need better photos to confirm condition.

As for the dial/hands patina ... looks pretty close in the photos, and sometimes tritium can age differently even if all original. UV photo is a good suggestion. Would also be interesting to see what this "full" set consists of.

I'm sure there are recent full-set examples online for you to determine rough market value. What's the asking price?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 02:58 AM   #4
jwjbaker
"TRF" Member

Good call on the UV, I will check that out. Thanks for the info! I'm going to try to get back there in the next day or two and grab a few more photos.

Original box and papers, hang tag, and earlier service that seemed to be more of a cleaning without replacing anything. They are saying the best they could do is $13k, but I feel like its about $2k too high from what I've seen around the internet and forums.
jwjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 03:36 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The serial number is necessary to determine if the dial is period correct. I've seen many of the early watches with replacement tritium dials due to the original dials cracking or corroding around the dial markers.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
That case appears as if it has indeed been polished. Look at the crown guards alone, and is that a pin sticking out of the top right lug? Would need better photos to confirm condition.

As for the dial/hands patina ... looks pretty close in the photos, and sometimes tritium can age differently even if all original. UV photo is a good suggestion. Would also be interesting to see what this "full" set consists of.

I'm sure there are recent full-set examples online for you to determine rough market value. What's the asking price?
I agree with all of this and if you can get some pics of the serial and the lugs in detail you'll get some more specific assessments/comments.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 12:55 PM   #7
billfredericks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
OP—Boston guy here. I’ve seen the fat lady in person, too.

It’s a lovely watch, but 13k is too high (the sticker says 15k, then they said 14k).

The spring bar protrusion on the top right lug swayed me...
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 02:54 AM   #8
brigadoonb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Nice piece...looks just like mine. I would have to agree though....$11K is more the market
brigadoonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 03:39 AM   #9
athom
"TRF" Member

I would not buy a watch that young and so polished...it worth it only unpolished these kind of watches...
athom is offline   Reply With Quote