The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Carolinas Coast Trip - Travel Advice Sought From NC/SC Natives

My wife and I will be travelling through South and North Carolina this November and we were hoping for some travel advice from any SC/NC natives on the forum. I've never been to this part of the US before so would appreciate any suggestions for destinations, sights, food or experiences you can recommend.

We'll be flying in through Atlanta GA and then renting a car before travelling down to Savannah where we have booked to stay for 4-5 days. After that, the plan is to drive north. We'll probably follow the coast for the most part but we're open to heading inland for part of the trip if that would be worthwhile. After we leave Savannah the only other definite destination is Charleston SC where we hope to stay for at least a few nights. Outside of the time we're spending in Savannah and Charleston, we've got another 2 weeks to spend in this part of the country before we fly out through Raleigh NC.

We've been planning this trip for about 18 months as taking an extended period of time away from work takes a lot of planning for both of us. We're both really excited and can't wait to see what this part of the world has to offer. Any travel advice is gratefully received!

- Cheers from a travelling Aussie.
Qinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 05:52 PM   #2
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Subd Im doing the same thing in OCT
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 08:13 PM   #3
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

If you're staying in Savanah for a while, it might be worth it to drive an hour south and check out Jekyll Island. To the north of the island is a place called Driftwood beach that is neat to see. It's one of my favorite spots in GA. I live very close (for spring, summer and fall). Savanah is great too.

On the way there is a place called B&Js in Darien that has excellent fried shrimp, they claim the best in the area, but there is a little market at the Jekyll Island that has a BBQ place in the back that serves even better fried shrimp in my opinion.

This is on the south end called St. Andrews Beach:

other general shots

If you make it down this way, I'd be glad to show you around (if I'm in town).

Enjoy your trip wherever you decide to go!!
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 08:21 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Charleston is my top destination in the states it is simply stunning check out Halls chophouse fantastic food and southern hospitality
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Oh wow. Those photos are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

We weren't planning on going south but based on those photos we might have to reconsider! If we do, I might reach out. Wherever we end up, shrimp and BBQ are two things we definitely have to try.
Old 17 August 2019, 08:24 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Check out st.simons island another great stop off.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 08:32 PM   #7
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Charleston is my top destination in the states it is simply stunning check out Halls chophouse fantastic food and southern hospitality
Just did a quick Google search. Looks delicious!
Old 17 August 2019, 08:38 PM   #8
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Check out st.simons island another great stop off.
Yes, very close to Jekyll. I live in Historic Brunswick so I'm equal distance to either Jekyll or St. Simons. Historic Brunswick is charming. I call it a mini Savanah, with much less people and tourists.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 08:51 PM   #9
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
If you want to experience the North Carolina coast in its most pure and picturesque form, it’s quite simple.

Go to Cedar Island NC (which is not an actual island), catch the Ocracoke Ferry to Ocracoke Island, follow Highway 12 North until it ends in Corolla NC. Drive Highway 12 from end to end.

That’s all there is to it ! You will experience non-commercial beaches, fishing villages, lighthouses, authentic seafood restaurants, wild horses, Kitty Hawk historic site, ferry’s, etc.

IMO, all commercialized touristy coastal towns are the same, whether it be in GA, VA, NJ, or ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qinhan View Post
My wife and I will be travelling through South and North Carolina this November and we were hoping for some travel advice from any SC/NC natives on the forum. I've never been to this part of the US before so would appreciate any suggestions for destinations, sights, food or experiences you can recommend.

We'll be flying in through Atlanta GA and then renting a car before travelling down to Savannah where we have booked to stay for 4-5 days. After that, the plan is to drive north. We'll probably follow the coast for the most part but we're open to heading inland for part of the trip if that would be worthwhile. After we leave Savannah the only other definite destination is Charleston SC where we hope to stay for at least a few nights. Outside of the time we're spending in Savannah and Charleston, we've got another 2 weeks to spend in this part of the country before we fly out through Raleigh NC.

We've been planning this trip for about 18 months as taking an extended period of time away from work takes a lot of planning for both of us. We're both really excited and can't wait to see what this part of the world has to offer. Any travel advice is gratefully received!

- Cheers from a travelling Aussie.
Old 18 August 2019, 12:35 AM   #10
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
If you are looking for something a little different Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge has one of the highest concentration of black bears on the East Coast. If you drive around the refuge on its many trails/dirt roads you should see several bears and if you get REALLY lucky you might see a Red Wolf.

Old 18 August 2019, 12:57 AM   #11
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Driftwood beach is cool. Never been but the photos are impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 01:01 AM   #12
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
If you want to experience the North Carolina coast in its most pure and picturesque form, it’s quite simple.

Go to Cedar Island NC (which is not an actual island), catch the Ocracoke Ferry to Ocracoke Island, follow Highway 12 North until it ends in Corolla NC. Drive Highway 12 from end to end.

That’s all there is to it ! You will experience non-commercial beaches, fishing villages, lighthouses, authentic seafood restaurants, wild horses, Kitty Hawk historic site, ferry’s, etc.

IMO, all commercialized touristy coastal towns are the same, whether it be in GA, VA, NJ, or ME.

Yeah, we were thinking about going up Cape Hatteras way. Your description sounds great, actually. It would be good to escape some of the most touristy areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
If you are looking for something a little different Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge has one of the highest concentration of black bears on the East Coast. If you drive around the refuge on its many trails/dirt roads you should see several bears and if you get REALLY lucky you might see a Red Wolf.
That might be worth a look. I don't know if a regular rental car is really suited to the kind of off road driving you're describing though?
Old 18 August 2019, 01:12 AM   #13
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
That might be worth a look. I don't know if a regular rental car is really suited to the kind of off road driving you're describing though?
Most roads are similar to my last photo and are easily driven by a typical passenger vehicle.
Old 18 August 2019, 01:32 AM   #14
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Most roads are similar to my last photo and are easily driven by a typical passenger vehicle.
Ok. That sounds doable then. I’ll put that on the list I’m compiling.

Old 19 August 2019, 08:28 AM   #15
austinp
"TRF" Member

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway is pretty great. Also the NC beach towns like Topsail and Oak Island are worth a visit. Southport is a great stop as well. You can take the ferry out to Bald Head Island.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:35 AM   #16
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway is pretty great. Also the NC beach towns like Topsail and Oak Island are worth a visit. Southport is a great stop as well. You can take the ferry out to Bald Head Island.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestions. The Blue Ridge Parkway looks great and I hadn't heard of it before. I'll do a little more research into Topsail and Oak Island but both look very pretty.
Old 19 August 2019, 10:08 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

I’m not from the Carolinas but visit often for vacation. I agree above. I’m a huge fan of savannah and to some extent Charleston (I know I know everyone seems to love Charleston but what can I say I prefer savannah) but I return to the outer banks time and again.

You can walk on the beaches for miles and not trip over another beachgoer in some parts. Just a beautiful part of the country. NC really has it all between the outer banks and Asheville.

Then again so does my home state but you’ll have to deal with more people.
Old 19 August 2019, 10:49 AM   #18
Naples09
"TRF" Member

If you like to golf and beaches - check out Kiawah Island and/or Hilton Head Island. Kiawah is not far from Charleston and Hilton Head is up the coast from Savannah.

I know many will say Ashville - which is nice - but a trip to Greenville SC is a must if in the area. Great little downtown area that's very walkable with great bars / restaurants.

For the mountains - after seeing Ashville - I'd spend a day or two in Blowing Rock - which has great access to the Blue Ridge Parkway - as another poster mentioned.

Sounds like a great two weeks - enjoy your time in this part of the world!
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:11 PM   #19
PackPride
"TRF" Member

SC- Kiawah is a fantastic beach and could be day trip from the Charleston trip

NC- for beaches I would recommend going to Bald Head Island. Rent a golf cart and explore-

Sounds like you have the beach side covered- might want to spend some time in the mountains. Cashiers is a beautiful area and Asheville is a fun town if you are looking for more things to do.

Charlotte could be fun to go see, especially if the Panthers are playing the weekend you are here. Great restaurant scene.
PackPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:07 PM   #20
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

These are some great suggestions guys. This is the sort of thing that makes this forum great. Keep them coming if you have them! I particularly appreciate the input from NC/SC locals.
Old 19 August 2019, 01:08 PM   #21
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Qinhan

George Vanderbilt’s Biltmore (Asheville NC) is spectacular: 250-room French Renaissance chateau that opened Christmas 1895. The finished home contains over four acres of floor space, including 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces.

The Biltmore Estate Christmas decoration theme starts November 1st. Friends of mine went last year and stayed overnight at the Biltmore's Village Hotel. They said it was absolutely awesome.

Christmas at the Biltmore:
https://www.biltmore.com/events/chri...-celebration-1

Estate history:
https://www.biltmore.com/visit/biltm...estate-history

Your vacation choices are super!

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:53 PM   #22
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Qinhan

George Vanderbilt’s Biltmore (Asheville NC) is spectacular: 250-room French Renaissance chateau that opened Christmas 1895. The finished home contains over four acres of floor space, including 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces.

The Biltmore Estate Christmas decoration theme starts November 1st. Friends of mine went last year and stayed overnight at the Biltmore's Village Hotel. They said it was absolutely awesome.

Christmas at the Biltmore:
https://www.biltmore.com/events/chri...-celebration-1

Estate history:
https://www.biltmore.com/visit/biltm...estate-history

Your vacation choices are super!

DM
My wife would love that place but I'm not sure we will venture as far inland as Asheville. That's something the two of us still need to discuss. Based on a previous suggestion I'm now looking seriously at Greenville SC as one inland detour that we might take.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 19 August 2019, 09:53 PM   #23
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wife would love that place but I'm not sure we will venture as far inland as Asheville. That's something the two of us still need to discuss. Based on a previous suggestion I'm now looking seriously at Greenville SC as one inland detour that we might take.

Thanks for the suggestion!
If you like cars - the BMW plant tour is fun. It’s not far from Greenville.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 12:36 AM   #24
77T
2024 Pledge Member

You should enjoy that trip immensely. Savannah, the Low Country and Outer Banks are full of Southern history.

Detours inland will take some precious time away from your coastal theme. Asheville, Greenville and the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Blowing Rock can add a mountain highlands element.

You’ll be doing some serious Interstate mileage to pack all that into the plan before your departure in Raleigh. Might stress your schedule based on the general itinerary you already described.

If you go to the mountains - pack for cold weather at some of those elevations at that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 08:28 AM   #25
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Other side of the state, but the Biltmore in Asheville is worth visiting. Grove Park Inn is a nice historic place to dine, while there. Those stops could be added to a Blue Ridge Parkway detour.
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 02:22 PM   #26
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
If you like cars - the BMW plant tour is fun. It’s not far from Greenville.
I could be persuaded but my wife, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You should enjoy that trip immensely. Savannah, the Low Country and Outer Banks are full of Southern history.

Detours inland will take some precious time away from your coastal theme. Asheville, Greenville and the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Blowing Rock can add a mountain highlands element.

You’ll be doing some serious Interstate mileage to pack all that into the plan before your departure in Raleigh. Might stress your schedule based on the general itinerary you already described.

If you go to the mountains - pack for cold weather at some of those elevations at that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
After looking at the map and checking distances, I think we might be better sticking mainly to the coast. I'll be doing all the driving and I'd prefer to take it at a leisurely pace rather than crisscrossing the state to see as much as possible. Blue Ridge Parkway might need to wait until another time.

At the end of the trip, if we have a few extra days, we might head inland to see a few places before flying out from Raleigh.

Can anyone recommend places inland near Raleigh NC that would be nice to spend a few days before we leave? I was looking at Chapel Hill but would like to hear other suggestions.

On a related point, has anyone been to Myrtle Beach?
Old 20 August 2019, 07:47 PM   #27
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

Can anyone recommend places inland near Raleigh NC that would be nice to spend a few days before we leave? I was looking at Chapel Hill but would like to hear other suggestions.

On a related point, has anyone been to Myrtle Beach?

IMO,
Heading east from the coast, there is not much for international travelers until you get to the mountains, which is a long drive from the coast. Stay a few extra days at a nice Bed & Breakfast in a little coastal village on the Outer Banks.

Myrtle Beach is called the “Redneck Riviera” .................... unless you want to play golf, look at other coastal options.
Old 20 August 2019, 08:15 PM   #28
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IMO,
Heading east from the coast, there is not much for international travelers until you get to the mountains, which is a long drive from the coast. Stay a few extra days at a nice Bed & Breakfast in a little coastal village on the Outer Banks.

Myrtle Beach is called the “Redneck Riviera” .................... unless you want to play golf, look at other coastal options.

This is exactly the sort of information I was hoping to get when I started this thread. I'm not a golfer so we'll give Myrtle Beach a miss and look for somewhere further north. Thanks!
Old 20 August 2019, 08:37 PM   #29
PackPride
"TRF" Member

Chapel Hill is a college town but has some fantastic restaurants- the lantern, shrimp and grits at Crooks Corner, and a beautiful hotel with an amazing restaurant named the Fearrington House Inn.

Not a lot to do in the area as far as activities unless you would want to attend a college football game, etc.

I would suggest if you go to CH to spend an afternoon in Durham. It’s really become a hot spot for the area with lots of trendy shops and restaurants.

If you stay closer to the NC coast you may want to spend some time in the Wilmington area- more to see and do and a great little downtown with nice day trips to figure 8, bald head island, and Wrightsville beach. Or if you prefer more remote low key beaches I suspect you will find Duck in the outer banks very charming.

You can also spend a day in Raleigh- bigger city. Enjoy some local bbq while you are here. In Raleigh my choice would be the Pit.
PackPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 09:37 PM   #30
Qinhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride View Post
Chapel Hill is a college town but has some fantastic restaurants- the lantern, shrimp and grits at Crooks Corner, and a beautiful hotel with an amazing restaurant named the Fearrington House Inn.

Not a lot to do in the area as far as activities unless you would want to attend a college football game, etc.

I would suggest if you go to CH to spend an afternoon in Durham. It’s really become a hot spot for the area with lots of trendy shops and restaurants.

If you stay closer to the NC coast you may want to spend some time in the Wilmington area- more to see and do and a great little downtown with nice day trips to figure 8, bald head island, and Wrightsville beach. Or if you prefer more remote low key beaches I suspect you will find Duck in the outer banks very charming.

You can also spend a day in Raleigh- bigger city. Enjoy some local bbq while you are here. In Raleigh my choice would be the Pit.
Lots of really useful information here. Thanks!

One of the things I definitely want to try is the BBQ so that recommendation is greatly appreciated.