The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2019, 01:57 AM   #1
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Very Interesting quote on bloomberg re: RM Sothebys

I was at the RM Sotheby's auction over the past few days and quickly noticed something before this hit the news. The bubble has finally burst on vintage and modern high end luxury cars.

Having looking for a vintage Paul Newman Daytona as well over the past year, I have also noticed that the prices and demand were slipping. If you recall, the crazy rolex hype (and more specifically the Daytona hype) was born out of the CRAZY 17.8 Million dollar Paul Newman sale.

See clip I took out of a bloomberg article from this morning:

"The Type 64 was far from the only rough sale during a weekend where gross totals through Friday were down about 25%, or about $50 million, from 2018, according to Hagerty. Across the board, while there were 16 more cars offered for the first two days of auctions in 2019, almost 30 fewer cars were sold. The average sale price was $75,000 less than last year. Insiders at RM Sotheby’s described the current market as “a bloodbath.”
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:06 AM   #2
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Oh'Deary me.......... Car dealers suffering, makes you weep tears of joy.

Any one who can afford to spend that sort of money on a collector car will not be to worried about the market drop.

I watch the Wayne Carini programme Chasing Classic Cars, he always gets a beating at these High end auctions, its pretty funny now to watch him expecting $$$$$$$ then taking a bath.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:06 AM   #3
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

That Type 64 sale is absolutely laughable. Porsche themselves said it wasn’t a Porsche but the cock-up during the auction is quite embarrassing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uction-blunder

Edit: many people here seem utterly convinced that the rich aren’t impacted by any downturns. We’re not just in a Rolex bubble, we’re in an asset bubble in general.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:07 AM   #4
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

The Porsche bubble did burst a couple of years ago and so will everything else. But i stil think there will be high demand for low production number things.. Like the newmans, some 911s, Ferraris and so on. I think over time these things will go up and down.

But I hope the internet hype on high production things like blnr, hulk and so on is soon over. Don’t get why people will pay a premium for things that are in mass production.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:35 AM   #5
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejmann View Post
The Porsche bubble did burst a couple of years ago and so will everything else. But i stil think there will be high demand for low production number things.. Like the newmans, some 911s, Ferraris and so on. I think over time these things will go up and down.

But I hope the internet hype on high production things like blnr, hulk and so on is soon over. Don’t get why people will pay a premium for things that are in mass production.
I had a 993 Turbo S that I sold in 2007. Last year I saw the same car on sale for over three times the price. I loved that car, but it isn’t worth that money. Vintage cars, vintage watches, real estate etc etc, it’s all been the same bubble for years fueled by the search for yield.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:59 AM   #6
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I had a 993 Turbo S that I sold in 2007. Last year I saw the same car on sale for over three times the price. I loved that car, but it isn’t worth that money. Vintage cars, vintage watches, real estate etc etc, it’s all been the same bubble for years fueled by the search for yield.
People looking for yield in cars and watches are idiots who deserve to be burned (monetarily speaking)
Easier to buy anything you can’t afford when you have a lifetime of free money.

Danish 20 year mortgage 0%.
Retardéd times we live in
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:08 AM   #7
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
We’re not just in a Rolex bubble, we’re in an asset bubble in general.

Yes sir.

Add food for thought, how many homes (US) in the $200-300k range are selling above asking and in less than 12 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:09 AM   #8
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Oh man - when people talk about grails that’s mine right there. I would do unspeakable things to own one. In the interim I think I’m going to get a 718 Cayman S instead to scratch an itch.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:22 AM   #9
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Every time I drive my low mile 993 or 997 gts they lose a little value and I couldn’t give a damn. Maximum smiles per gallon. the smile on my face, ear to ear baby and priceless!
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:32 AM   #10
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
People looking for yield in cars and watches are idiots who deserve to be burned (monetarily speaking)

I see this bothers you a lot lol. :). I joke. I can see ur emotions
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:33 AM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
Every time I drive my low mile 993 or 997 gts they lose a little value and I couldn’t give a damn. Maximum smiles per gallon. the smile on my face, ear to ear baby and priceless!
I never understood this expression... when driving the car down the freeway or wherever, does one keep a permanent smile?
Old 19 August 2019, 05:06 AM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
The McLaren F1 auctioned off was considered to be one of the best examples of the 100 remaining cars out there. At least three or so have privately traded for over $20M and this one was expected to also. Instead it stalled at $18M plus fees. Still high and a good profit for the owner who paid around $4M for it years ago but perhaps a sign that the market in general has flattened.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:11 AM   #13
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post

I’m from Denmark. Thaaaaaaaaaat’s the one thing i love in these crazy times hahaha.. I just cut 10 years of my 30 year mortgage (the norm) to a 20 year. Beautiful.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:14 AM   #14
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
Oh'Deary me.......... Car dealers suffering, makes you weep tears of joy.

Any one who can afford to spend that sort of money on a collector car will not be to worried about the market drop.

I watch the Wayne Carini programme Chasing Classic Cars, he always gets a beating at these High end auctions, its pretty funny now to watch him expecting $$$$$$$ then taking a bath.
Happy to hear you take pleasure in the misery of others. You must be the most popular relative at family get togethers!
Old 19 August 2019, 05:16 AM   #15
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I never understood this expression... when driving the car down the freeway or wherever, does one keep a permanent smile?
I assume you have never driven a fine automobile, or you would know that it is a true pleasure.
Old 19 August 2019, 05:28 AM   #16
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My Ferrari does a pretty good job
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:50 AM   #17
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGRLX View Post
If you recall, the crazy rolex hype (and more specifically the Daytona hype) was born out of the CRAZY 17.8 Million dollar Paul Newman sale.
The Paul Newman sale didn’t cause InstaGrat Kiddies to start flipping Submariners.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:06 AM   #18
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I assume you have never driven a fine automobile, or you would know that it is a true pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
My Ferrari does a pretty good job
Yeah nope, no idea ... I mean I speed up for 2 secs and hit the light. I still don’t understand the saying even if it was enjoyable because ... does one smile the entire time in the car? Would look funny. Sorry trying to understand where it literally came from
Old 19 August 2019, 07:09 AM   #19
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah nope, no idea ... I mean I speed up for 2 secs and hit the light. I still don’t understand the saying even if it was enjoyable because ... does one smile the entire time in the car? Would look funny. Sorry trying to understand where it literally came from
What saying? And yes, many do smile....does smiling look funny?
Old 19 August 2019, 07:09 AM   #20
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
The Paul Newman sale didn’t cause InstaGrat Kiddies to start flipping Submariners.
The guy on the salad dressing bottle?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:34 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
The guy on the salad dressing bottle?
Yes... and famous actor... and pro racer / race team owner... and guy who helps those less fortunate via his Hole In The Wall Gang camp for kids https://www.holeinthewallgang.org .

BTW, have been at a few SCCA races as a racer myself (Formula 2000) and PLN was racing his car in another series. Great guy, saw him at LRP during a Test And Tune Day a few days before he passed.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote