ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 July 2018, 07:50 AM   #61
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1688 View Post
Wow...that was fast! Not sure if you will ever enjoy another "grail" watch from Patek since you may be blacklisted from the AD with that quick turnaround. I'm sure the Certificate of Authenticity has your name and AD info. Patek surely will have that information also and seeing that it was sold within one month's time, there may be repercussions on future purchases on Patek pieces...
Doubtful but who cares?!!
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:56 AM   #62
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1688 View Post
Wow...that was fast! Not sure if you will ever enjoy another "grail" watch from Patek since you may be blacklisted from the AD with that quick turnaround. I'm sure the Certificate of Authenticity has your name and AD info. Patek surely will have that information also and seeing that it was sold within one month's time, there may be repercussions on future purchases on Patek pieces...
Are you sure about that?

The person who buys it won't need to service it for years. Patek won't find out until then right?

What is the mechanism via which they can find out earlier?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:09 AM   #63
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtinuk View Post
Are you sure about that?

The person who buys it won't need to service it for years. Patek won't find out until then right?

The AD would register the piece with Patek when filling the paper work. Patek would find out if the new owner register the watch with Patek.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:09 AM   #64
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Are you sure about that?

As above - When the new owner registers it on their web site. I would always register any PP, new or used.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:12 AM   #65
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
The AD would register the piece with Patek when filling the paper work. Patek would find out if the new owner register the watch with Patek.
I get the first part. However I wonder what % of people actually register a pre-owned watch before service. I suppose my % so far is about 50%

Further, if the OP has decided that the Nautilus and probably Aquanauts in general are not for him, then not sure it matters to he "blacklisted". The vast majority of the other models are pretty easy to get...

Old 19 July 2018, 08:21 AM   #66
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I get the first part. However I wonder what % of people actually register a pre-owned watch before service. I suppose my % so far is about 50%
I’m pretty sure if you had just paid well above MSRP for a BNIB/or very new 5711 you would register it with Patek. Registration checks it’s authenticity and gets you on the mailing list for magazines etc.
Old 19 July 2018, 08:22 AM   #67
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
There is a chance but anyone that was able to get a 5711 blue has either:

1) Spent enough where the AD is ok taking the risk and wants to reward him.
2) Waited long enough
3) Both

In all cases, unlikely they will find out, but if they do, good profit anyway
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:27 AM   #68
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:

Further, if the OP has decided that the Nautilus and probably Aquanauts in general are not for him, then not sure it matters to he "blacklisted". The vast majority of the other models are pretty easy to get...

I agree a WIS would certainly register a preowned watch with Patek but not all people would register a preowned watch with Patek

If someone gets "blacklisted" by Patek he would not get application pieces such as 5131P, rare hand craft pieces etc but I don't think Patek can stop him obtaining another Nautilus/Aquanaut which are not application pieces.
Old 19 July 2018, 08:31 AM   #69
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:31 AM   #70
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I’m pretty sure if you had just paid well above MSRP for a BNIB/or very new 5711 you would register it with Patek. Registration checks it’s authenticity and gets you on the magazine mailing list for magazines etc.
Actually no... unnecessary for me as I am already on the mailing list. I don't need help verifying authenticity, especially on a 5711. I would only register it immediately if I was unsure about the seller...however if I was buying from a first owner and could verify identity I would find it especially unecessary. Further, if I was worried about authenticity or provenence I wouldn't be buying it to begin with! To be fair, I understand that many others would register immediately..but not everyone..

In addition, unless it is an application piece, Patek won't even know you are trying to get it. Of note too, it was actually not that hard to get a 5711 brand new from an authorized dealer a few short years ago (I know this with certainty!). Will premiums stay here? Who knows...

More reason, why the OP would be silly to keep the watch out of fear of blacklisting unless he has a specific hard to get grail piece he wants. It would have to be an application piece for it to make sense to be worried and even then.... Further, he will get quite a bit of cash in profit to offset the small chance he has to go grey market and pay a premium for such a piece.

Old 19 July 2018, 08:40 AM   #71
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

2) Waited long enough
3) Both

And even if they find out...those are not application pieces anyway. Dealers do not check with Patek before selling non application pieces..

Old 19 July 2018, 09:04 AM   #72
ufboy73
Banned

So, all these fears of being blacklisted...

Does anyone here have direct experience with being blacklisted...or a friend being blacklisted...or anything beyond a dealer saying the same or hearsay?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:21 AM   #73
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
So, all these fears of being blacklisted...

Does anyone here have direct experience with being blacklisted...or a friend being blacklisted...or anything beyond a dealer saying the same or hearsay?
Not a direct experience of mine, but Federico has talked about his time at an AD where a customer flipped a 5131 very shortly after successfully applying and receiving the piece. Patek found out, and said customer was barred from future application piece. The AD has also stopped business with the customer thereon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekQml5NRs0

I can't tell whether this is fake news or not. Use your own judgment pls.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:33 AM   #74
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
My experience:

Amazing watch.

Not perfect.

Rotor noise not consistent from watch to watch. (My 5167 had it, my 5711 did Not.)

Adjustment period needed for the cost of a SS sports watch.

Clasp is what it is, stiff to operate but once fastened holds the watch securely.

Power reserve and time keeping not great.

In the end, I chose a submariner.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:27 PM   #75
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

2) Waited long enough
3) Both

Spot on.
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:32 AM   #76
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
The watch feels flimsy, the dial is underwhelming, the clasp sucks, and it is very basic... BUT I LOVE IT (If you sell it, I am sure you will miss it and have no shot of getting one back at retail. The watch is a classic look that will never go out of style so enjoy the fact that it is unlike anything else you own). Congrats And Welcome To The Club!
Like you say the Nautilus design is unlike any other, the ears make it unique, to say the truth I hated the design for a good 2 years, couldn't see what the fuss was about, I really didn't like it, but it grew on me to become my favorite watch design, but can understand people who don't like them
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 09:19 AM   #77
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I think Royal Oak has the 5711 well and truly beat, however the 5712 would be my favourite of all. I’d recommend you give AP a try, their bracelets are amazing and the clasp mechanism is far better than Nautilus too.

At least you made money on it I guess. Use it to try something else.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:55 AM   #78
ppforme
"TRF" Member

I think todays high ownership costs to get a Nautilus raises expectations sometimes unrealistically. When I purchased my 5711 over 5 years ago the price was fair and I enjoy the watch today as a daily beater. The 5711 is the quintessential sports watch. It's lack of complication provides for a thin case which sits on the wrist like no other IMO. Rotor noise is a reminder of the mechanical marvel on display seen through the exhibition case back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
ppforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:55 AM   #79
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Not a direct experience of mine, but Federico has talked about his time at an AD where a customer flipped a 5131 very shortly after successfully applying and receiving the piece. Patek found out, and said customer was barred from future application piece. The AD has also stopped business with the customer thereon.

I heard a similar case from a friend recently. A friend of a friend flip a 5131 and was sent a letter from PP that he will no longer be eligible for future application pieces.

Actually, the AD can also get into trouble with Patek as they have to vouch for the client when making such applications, which is why they carefully screen potential buyers. Yeah... generally speaking, Patek dislike flippers.
Old 21 July 2018, 12:31 PM   #80
ufboy73
Banned

Is it only application pieces that we know this type of tracking occurs?
Old 21 July 2018, 02:18 PM   #81
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Sad to hear you were disappointed. I’m less than a year wait away for my white 5711 and I really hope this doesn’t happen to me.
I had a chance to buy a 15202 several years ago and passed because I thought it felt too flimsy. I ended up with a black 15400 that I really like.
I’ve tried on a 5167 and really loved it but passed on it several times. I just couldn’t spend almost 20k on a rubber strapped watch. I regret that decision sometimes though as it was so comfortable.
Thanks for your honest opinion. There is lots of praise on this forum mostly, so its good to hear people be honest about their dislike of a popular model.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:42 PM   #82
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

i think application pieces are treated differently.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 06:53 PM   #83
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
Sad to hear you were disappointed. I’m less than a year wait away for my white 5711 and I really hope this doesn’t happen to me.
I had a chance to buy a 15202 several years ago and passed because I thought it felt too flimsy. I ended up with a black 15400 that I really like.
I’ve tried on a 5167 and really loved it but passed on it several times. I just couldn’t spend almost 20k on a rubber strapped watch. I regret that decision sometimes though as it was so comfortable.
Thanks for your honest opinion. There is lots of praise on this forum mostly, so its good to hear people be honest about their dislike of a popular model.
If you couldn’t spend almost 20k on a rubber strapped watch, then why would you spend almost $30k on an a 3 handed SS sports watch with a date?
Old 21 July 2018, 09:24 PM   #84
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
Is it only application pieces that we know this type of tracking occurs?
Patek UK track and vet customers for the supply of a lot of pieces - you would be surprised. However they are also very keen to reward people with a true passion for their pieces so an application piece is not out of the question even for a first time customer - it might just take a while! 😉
Old 21 July 2018, 10:17 PM   #85
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Patek UK track and vet customers for the supply of a lot of pieces - you would be surprised. However they are also very keen to reward people with a true passion for their pieces so an application piece is not out of the question even for a first time customer - it might just take a while! 😉
Thanks - it does seem like tracking, withholding papers to reduce flipping (at least in case of rolex), etc seems to be happening more in the UK for now.

Wonder if it will propogate to the US soon
Old 21 July 2018, 11:38 PM   #86
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
No problems, just sell to me at MSRP and I will take it off your hands. Problem solved.

Agreed.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:47 PM   #87
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
If you couldn’t spend almost 20k on a rubber strapped watch, then why would you spend almost $30k on an a 3 handed SS sports watch with a date?
I guess it’s the senselessness of this hobby.
I really adore the white 5711 and have felt this way for a long time.

I liked the Aquanaut, I love the Nautilus.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:07 AM   #88
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I guess it’s the senselessness of this hobby.
I really adore the white 5711 and have felt this way for a long time.

I liked the Aquanaut, I love the Nautilus.
Yep, I totally agree and was just busting your chops.

I adorded the 5711 blue dial, but moved on after super low odds of being able to score one at list price from an AD. Also, the price increase put a sour taste in my mouth. And couldn’t see spending almost $30k for a 3 handed SS sports watch.

I recently acquired an AP RO 15450 blue dial as an alternative and love it. Absolutely no regrets!
Old 22 July 2018, 12:14 AM   #89
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
I have coveted the 5711 for years, last month I stumped up the £££ and bought one at its current inflated price figuring there will be others willing to pay over the odds so I should be able to get my money back if needs be. Had the watch for little under a month wore it, enjoyed it but ultimately kept going back to my Rolex watches as I found it worrying to have such a ridiculously expensive watch on my wrist. Ended up striking a deal with a fellow Patek owner with a 2009 5167 which felt more me on the wrist so after a brief negotiation I think we were both ultimately happy.

Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:47 AM   #90
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_kay View Post
I have coveted the 5711 for years, last month I stumped up the £££ and bought one at its current inflated price figuring there will be others willing to pay over the odds so I should be able to get my money back if needs be. Had the watch for little under a month wore it, enjoyed it but ultimately kept going back to my Rolex watches as I found it worrying to have such a ridiculously expensive watch on my wrist. Ended up striking a deal with a fellow Patek owner with a 2009 5167 which felt more me on the wrist so after a brief negotiation I think we were both ultimately happy.

Congrats on the 5167, a very versatile watch.