The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2017, 06:50 PM   #31
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
No doubt that Rolex have figured this one out already. I expect that both watches will sell well (ongoing in the case of the Sub) regardless of each other.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:22 PM   #32
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I did a stint running Marketing for a very large company. I was not all that great at it and soon returned to running only the technology sector for the company.

I learned that a smart company invests the majority of its design and manufacturing assets in the center of its customer bell curve. It can position some at the edges of the bell curve, but expect thin sales for those products. A few products can explore new technology and or new designs, but with the expectation of thin sales.

I see the Rolex Sub, GMT, DateJust, Explorer, etc all aimed at the middle of the bell curve. I see the enormous diver watches aimed at the edges of the bell curve more as attention drawers not expected to draw large revenue. I see the new SeaDweller as further out from the fat spot of the bell curve than the Sub, but incorporating attractive features from both the Sub and the edgier watches. I think it is a great marketing decision, but only sales will tell.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:43 PM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
I think DSSD is out of the question. A more precise question should be whether sales of D-Blue will be affected.
It's not inconceivable that the SD43 will eat into the new sales of the SS Sub and both variants of the DSSD.
I would posit the normal black DSSD will suffer quite a lot more than the stunning D-blue.

Anyway it's all subject to availability as there's not a lot of stock of anything in the display cases to compare with each other.
Only a WIS would be discerning enough to be patient and get what they want.
Then again a WIS is also likely to be an owner of one or more of these models or at least aspire to having them in a collection one way or another, so it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Rolex will sell every one they make regardless
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 07:56 PM   #34
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
It's not inconceivable that the SD43 will eat into the new sales of the SS Sub and both variants of the DSSD.
I would posit the normal black DSSD will suffer quite a lot more than the stunning D-blue.

Anyway it's all subject to availability as there's not a lot of stock of anything in the display cases to compare with each other.
Only a WIS would be discerning enough to be patient and get what they want.
Then again a WIS is also likely to be an owner of one or more of these models or at least aspire to having them in a collection one way or another, so it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
Rolex will sell every one they make regardless

What I mean by out of the question is sales of DSSD (normal, black version) will be affected by the new SD for sure.
But how is the sales of D-Blue going to be affected? Is not yet sure.....IMO.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 11:55 PM   #35
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I'm thinking it will bring a few new customers, like myself who think the 40mm sub is a little small for a tool watch (its a FANTASTIC all-arounder size though) and the 44mm deep sea is just ridiculous (also me). But it's not really going to cannibalize sales of anything short of the black dial deep sea, that thing is in trouble.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 12:01 AM   #36
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Actually more like $2,800 ... The SubC Date is still listed at $8,550, and the Rolex website lists the new Sea-Dweller at $11,350. More than enough to keep a few prospective buyers persuaded to pick up the Sub instead.
I agree that the price points are in two different realms but remember the SD is usually discounted quite a bit more than the sub making their price difference a bit less.
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:18 AM   #37
Big Wristed
"TRF" Member

This is an excellent decision for Rolex. This will catch those who find the SUB too small and DSSD too big. I find the gap between SUB and DSSD too big. With SUB and SD4K of same size and latter much thicker, I don't see any reason why one would get the SD4K, except maybe for actual diving requirements
Big Wristed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:25 AM   #38
Big Wristed
"TRF" Member

New Sea-Dweller 126600, a threat to the Submariner Date 116610?

So don't think it's a threat to the SUB. It's a long sought option for people who really like the SUB but finds it a bit small on their wrist
Old 26 March 2017, 01:44 AM   #39
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:49 AM   #40
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Nope
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:35 AM   #41
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The better question is what effect on the DSSD.
I agree with Cru. Often times on TRF we lose sight of the fact that the members here don't necessarily represent Rolex's target audience. A lot of people speculated that the reason the SD4K was not a big seller among the masses is that it didn't provide enough visual difference with the subc and the added technical advantages would never be utilized to justify the price differences. Additionally the argument was made that the average buyer identifies the cyclops with Rolex. Well now those arguments can be made between the DSSD and the SD50. Is the DSSD's added tech worth the extra money for the average non/diver (casual or even commercial diver)? Does the cyclops have a big influence on the casual Rolex buyer? If the SD4k did in fact under perform and these were in fact the reasons for it then I think the overhaul was enough to justify the difference between the SubC and the SD50 but by doing so they may have inadvertently closed the gap between the SD50 and the DSSD. The only real thing that's separates the DSSD is due to its thickness it will still be much larger but too many that will actually be seen as a disadvantage. The DSSD Blue will still do well but I think the DSSD will now adopt the problems that allegedly plaqued the SD4K.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 12:58 PM   #42
nilfire77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First just cannot see why you think the 3235 is better than the cal 3135 sure it was time for a change.The only thing that might be better in the cal 3235 is the ball-bearing rotor and slightly more power-reserve.And to achieve the extra few hours power-reserve they have made the spring-barrel much thinner.Will it be more accurate or long lasting than the cal 3135 doubtful.Although the cal 3135 was in production for almost 40 years without much change will the cal 3235 be better, well only time will tell on that one.Already some WIS types have got there measuring tools out and state the SD case is not 43mm but less.
Fully agree with what you've just said, bro!
nilfire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:03 PM   #43
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
New SD Is a sub for large wrists.

Significantly more power reserve.
Old 26 March 2017, 05:10 PM   #44
Steve in SoCal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
I agree with Cru. Often times on TRF we lose sight of the fact that the members here don't necessarily represent Rolex's target audience. A lot of people speculated that the reason the SD4K was not a big seller among the masses is that it didn't provide enough visual difference with the subc and the added technical advantages would never be utilized to justify the price differences. Additionally the argument was made that the average buyer identifies the cyclops with Rolex. Well now those arguments can be made between the DSSD and the SD50. Is the DSSD's added tech worth the extra money for the average non/diver (casual or even commercial diver)? Does the cyclops have a big influence on the casual Rolex buyer? If the SD4k did in fact under perform and these were in fact the reasons for it then I think the overhaul was enough to justify the difference between the SubC and the SD50 but by doing so they may have inadvertently closed the gap between the SD50 and the DSSD. The only real thing that's separates the DSSD is due to its thickness it will still be much larger but too many that will actually be seen as a disadvantage. The DSSD Blue will still do well but I think the DSSD will now adopt the problems that allegedly plaqued the SD4K.

Exactly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 02:06 AM   #45
Big Wristed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

You summed up what I said in 1 sentence
Old 27 March 2017, 02:10 AM   #46
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wristed View Post
You summed up what I said in 1 sentence
Much more than that actually, a far superior diver (4,000 ft against 1,000, helium valve) and powered by the latest 3235 movement with 70h PR.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 02:13 AM   #47
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I voted with my wallet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

Curious how much power reserve do we really need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8056.jpg (90.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8057.jpg (81.1 KB, 297 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 02:36 AM   #48
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post

What we've already got at about 47 hrs is adequate when things are going fine.
More is probably better in this instance and we will see in the fullness of time with how the new movement actually performs toward the end of its service interval, what ever that may turn out to be.
Old 27 March 2017, 02:36 AM   #49
glg
"TRF" Member

More likely the 116660 will be threatened by the 126600.
The previous sd was as wearable as the sub ,the new sd is much bigger with a cyclops , why to spend almost 3000k for a very similar but bigger watch ,sub is definitely more wearable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 02:44 AM   #50
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glg View Post
More likely the 116660 will be threatened by the 126600.
The previous sd was as wearable as the sub ,the new sd is much bigger with a cyclops , why to spend almost 3000k for a very similar but bigger watch ,sub is definitely more wearable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously the Sub is more wearable if one can stand to look at those over blown lugs.

But the SD is not at all similar now that it has been revamped in every respect.
The only obvious similarity to the Sub now is a cyclops.
Further the SD43 is very different from a consumer view point, in that it's the only Rolex diver that doesn't come with and economy model/variant and in retrospect has never been offered with an economy model option unlike the Sub and recently the DSSD with the introduction of the D-blue.
Old 27 March 2017, 01:57 PM   #51
Big Wristed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Much more than that actually, a far superior diver (4,000 ft against 1,000, helium valve) and powered by the latest 3235 movement with 70h PR.
Worthy upgrade, but sad to say not too many are concerned and/or have a need for that. I think majority, if not most, think that the deciding factor is how the SUB vs. SD43 looks or fits on their wrist.

So I think Rolex is just thinking of giving the public a bigger SUB.

I think the cyclops is a good decision by Rolex. Rolex pioneered the cyclops, one of those identifying characteristics of a Rolex. I'd rather have it than not. But I suspect Rolex will later release a SD43 no date
Old 27 March 2017, 02:58 PM   #52
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Of course the new SD will take some sales from the Sub, as it always has. It it didn't exist those who have bought the SD would very likely default back to the Sub.

Why do people go for the SD? To be more individual in their choice? To have the subtle differences? Very few may even need to the features... But no SD will mean a few more Sub sales. Possibly why they pulled the older SD when the Sub ceramic came out.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 04:47 PM   #53
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post

Nice mouse pad Sam

Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 07:28 AM   #54
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Adding today's review from Monochrome (04/04/17) for those interested.

https://monochrome-watches.com/rolex...-review-price/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 06:16 AM   #55
toi
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
i have 7.5 inch wrists and therefore never bought a submariner. find it small for my wrist.
deepsea was a disaster the way it was proportioned for my taste. top heavy, thin band for that humongous case.
i was able to try on the 126600 seadweller at an AD in france and this is the submariner i have been waiting for LOL.
i never considered a seadweller because i like the date magnification on the glass.it looks cool
to me this is the perfect size for this model watch. hope to buy one soon.
toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 12:22 PM   #56
NavyChief01
"TRF" Member

Big Man’s Submariner

When I saw the new 43mm Sea Dweller pictures last year I was so happy that my 9 inch wrist would soon wear a sub-like watch that didn’t look like I was wearing my wife’s yahtmaster. I have two now, one daily wearer and one in the safe for dressing up when I take my bride out on the town. I also like feeling the heft of the watch on my wrist. It’s obvious I’ve got $12,000 of Rolex steel on my wrist and it brings a smile to my face when I check the time. I’ve been fortunate to find two at $11,350 and no markup at my AD’s. I still love my 40mm subs, especially the hulk. Man I disliked that watch and had serious buyers remorse for months and then one day it became the most beautiful watch I’ve laid eyes on, but Lordy, if Rolex fits the green bezel and dial on the 43mm Sea Dweller, ill go buy two more. Let’s face facts, us big guys need an XL Sub. The deepest my Sea Dweller will be submerged is the 8 foot end of my pool and the bubbles streaming up to the surface won’t be coming from the helium relief valve if you know what I mean. 🤪
NavyChief01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 04:40 PM   #57
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Year old bump....I am sure everything has already been said.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:10 PM   #58
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
The sub will increase in price after next years upgrades bringing the two closer , size wise the sub will always win it’s more suited for the majority of limp wristed pen pushers gotcha lol , what I ment to say was average wrist sizes
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:11 PM   #59
Wools
"TRF" Member

It's swings and roundabouts really.

Personally, I have no love for the modern Sea Dweller with it's "nicer" features its main drawbacks for me. I don't want a gigantic case, don't desire the extra weight and like the smaller profile of the modern Submariner.

Combined with, personally, a richer history in the sea and off shore, the Submariner is not something I would personally disregard for the SD43.

If you like it though, go for it.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:57 PM   #60
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Hi guys, I'm interested in the new 43mm Sea-Dweller anniversary edition and I have discarded the 40mm Submariner 116610 at this point. The SD offers a better movement and “nicer” size among other aspects I personally prefer (tapered lugs, red lettering).

My question is could the Submariner 116610 be threatened by his bigger brother SD 126600 nowadays when people seem to favor a slightly larger size? Are we about to see the end of this Sub Date with the 3135 movement or will most buyers still prefer the Sub Date to the SD? What do you think?
What do you mean better movement the 32 series is just a modded 31 series sure it has greater power-reserve but doubt if its better.As for size with today's mainly stereotypes that bigger heavier is alway better which is not always the case.Agree with the lugs though never a fan of the 116610 case,prefer the 16610 case.Myself own a 16600 and used as a working tool for many years underwater and not like today's mainly desk divers watches.The subs has always been Rolex best sellers in the sports line up and IMHO will continue to do so whether it has a 31,32, or future 33,34,35,36 or even 37 series movement in its case.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote