The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2018, 07:34 AM   #31
Nandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
It is excellent accuracy - curious what you are using to measure these timing data on ?
This app on my iphone:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/watc...610666926?mt=8
Nandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 10:02 AM   #32
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandor View Post
Wow! What a huge difference this made. After you posted this yesterday I put the watch crown up until today at noon. Look at the difference :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool

I’m glad I could be of some help!

Have a good one

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:21 AM   #33
RolexWombat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandor View Post
Wow! What a huge difference this made. After you posted this yesterday I put the watch crown up until today at noon. Look at the difference :

Try it on the side but crown up if crown down actually slows it too much as it typically slows it a little bit less... Also, remember the amount of time a day it spends in the resting position vs on the wrist obviously will make a difference.
RolexWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:29 AM   #34
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

Is this what you’re talking about?

Some members have said that it doesn’t apply to modern Rolex watches.

Others have said that it does.

Who knows!

But, here it is :)

Never knew this was documented. I own a D500C, and noticed that this was exactly what was happening, I wear my watch daily and was placing my watch at night accordingly to keep the time synced with my iphone. Definitely works.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 04:35 PM   #35
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Acceptable accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
The less a watch is opened the better...

Could you please expound? (Honestly asking.)

I’m one to believe that when I buy a Rolex, I should not worry about setting the watch in a particular position when I go to bed. Rolex should be the quintessential worry-free watch. But I do agree that lifestyles vary. And Rolex testing is just a robot wrist moving in an average number of positions.

Old 3 July 2018, 02:17 AM   #36
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
Never knew this was documented. I own a D500C, and noticed that this was exactly what was happening, I wear my watch daily and was placing my watch at night accordingly to keep the time synced with my iphone. Definitely works.

That’s awesome. I bet it was a good feeling to kind of discover this yourself, then have verification from Rolex.

Someone posted it on here a little while back and I decided to save it

Old 3 July 2018, 02:30 AM   #37
chronoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 & 3570.50
My 5 year old Daytona, matters not how you leave the stem. I believe it has too much reserve for it to matter. (just a theory)
I only check and log accuracy and deviation once a month now. But it's still a good indicator if a watch gets magnetized, this will reveal it.

Great watch BTW! Congrats!
chronoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:32 AM   #38
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Reasonable time???, the watch is keeping fantastic time consistency is the most important.

Well in the real world just like they market the fuel consumption MPG on new cars in a controlled environment,but its doubtful the car buyer will achieve those exact figures just to many variables.Like how heavy the foot is on the gas,traffic variables different weather conditions and so on same with watches on the wrist

This new spec now for Rolex watches they are exactly the same Rolex movements that are still tested at the COSC to Average of -4+6 seconds to get the COSC certification.After certification the movements are shipped back to Rolex perhaps stored for weeks months or longer.Then when movement is matched to its case if its true Rolex further regulates on a machine to this new precision of -2+2 seconds.What does this mean well just like the COSC test at time of testing movement met said spec,they have not put some special foo foo dust in the case to make them better. As all the Rolex movements since the 15 series when regulated on a machine could match this new spec.But on the wrist too many variables to 100% guarantee movement will be -2+2 every day for life.Many things affect any mechanical movement while on the wrist,the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations,mainspring power-reserve subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no.And I am sure this new spec is more marketing than anything,as Omega started it so Rolex had to follow.But this term accuracy will perhaps 2 or 3 seconds out of 86400 in a day make any real difference only if you have this new timing app sydrome plus the constant checking time syndrome.Just cannot understand why some worry and fret over a difference of a second or so out of 86400.
I find totally acceptable that someone would care about the timing capabilities of a watch. Specially if it's an expensive watch and if the expectation is within what the brand advertises. And I find totally normal and expected that someone that doesn't know much about a product and bought it due to the brands reputation would come to a forum to ask about that product if its performance is not within the manufacture's advertised standards.
I really don't understand the animosity against people that care about accuracy. If 1 or 3 seconds a day makes a difference or not is beside the point. The educational posts that explain the complexities of mechanical time keeping to new comers are very welcome and appreciated. But bashing people for caring about how their very expensive time keeping devices are keeping time just boggles me.
Anyway, just my two cents...
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:05 AM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
But bashing people for caring about how their very expensive time keeping devices are keeping time just boggles me.
Anyway, just my two cents...
Bashing people ????????? In the real world trying to explain how a mechanical movement works.Just because any movement is regulated on a machine it don't mean it will perform exactly the same daily on the wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 04:52 AM   #40
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bashing people ????????? In the real world trying to explain how a mechanical movement works.Just because any movement is regulated on a machine it don't mean it will perform exactly the same daily on the wrist.
Fair enough. I shouldn't have quoted your post. And maybe "bashing" was a poor choice of words on my part.
But you know what I mean. That's a lot of making fun of/complaining about people that mention accuracy, and I don't get that.
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 10:38 AM   #41
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoman View Post
My 5 year old Daytona, matters not how you leave the stem. I believe it has too much reserve for it to matter. (just a theory)
I only check and log accuracy and deviation once a month now. But it's still a good indicator if a watch gets magnetized, this will reveal it.

Great watch BTW! Congrats!
Good point.
The ultimate relaxed ownership experience
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 12:13 PM   #42
imgook
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s awesome. I bet it was a good feeling to kind of discover this yourself, then have verification from Rolex.

Someone posted it on here a little while back and I decided to save it
Yeah definitely awesome. It's good knowledge, cause I remember the first month of ownership, after the first month it was like 20 secs or so slower than my iphone, it it really kinda annoyed me, even though that's like less than a sec a day lol. Doing research on the TourBillion movement made me realize that position of a mechanical watch does in fact matter. Very interesting stuff.
Old 3 July 2018, 02:05 PM   #43
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
I remember the first month of ownership, after the first month it was like 20 secs or so slower than my iphone, it it really kinda annoyed me, even though that's like less than a sec a day lol. Doing research on the TourBillion movement made me realize that position of a mechanical watch does in fact matter. Very interesting stuff.

Yeah 20 seconds in one month is really good in my opinion

You know what, I had a really good experience learning what a tourbillon is.

I had read about it online here and there but never really understood it.

I walked into a Vacheron Constantin boutique, just to look around and met a super cool salesman.

He showed me around, showed me a tourbillon, I said “you know what, I really don’t know what that is,” and he sat with me and explained a little about the history of it, and what its purpose is.

Like you said, “very interesting stuff.”

Old 3 July 2018, 05:31 PM   #44
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Yeah definitely awesome. It's good knowledge, cause I remember the first month of ownership, after the first month it was like 20 secs or so slower than my iphone, it it really kinda annoyed me, even though that's like less than a sec a day lol. Doing research on the TourBillion movement made me realize that position of a mechanical watch does in fact matter. Very interesting stuff.
Quote:
Yeah 20 seconds in one month is really good in my opinion

You know what, I had a really good experience learning what a tourbillon is.

I had read about it online here and there but never really understood it.

I walked into a Vacheron Constantin boutique, just to look around and met a super cool salesman.

He showed me around, showed me a tourbillon, I said “you know what, I really don’t know what that is,” and he sat with me and explained a little about the history of it, and what its purpose is.

Like you said, “very interesting stuff.”

The Tourbillon IMHO serves no real purpose in a wrist watch at all,only the fact the watchmakers can make them.And today you would be quite surprised how many watch hi end brands Tourbillons and cages are made china,and they make them very very well too to equal the Swiss.I sometimes wonder why there so much admiration for the tourbillon,perhaps the unquestioned and deserved prestige of Breguet the inventor many many years ago.But the Tourbillon works best in one position and in theory the Tourbillon is always modifying the slight timing errors in the vertical position.The Tourbillon does not correct position variations, it only prevents them being detected in the usual testing conditions. But when placed on say a vibrograph, the Tourbillon reveals its weaknesses immediately.The Tourbillon does not correct anything,in wrist movements, it only prevents the detection of any beat errors that still exists in natural gravity with wrist movement.

The Tourbillon is in fact an additional mechanism that consumes energy without producing anything except misinformation.The energy it consumes is taken from the reserve destined to the regulator. As a result, the balance wheel with less energy will have reduced advantages.Now I agree totally the skill needed to make the cage plus Tourbillon etc is a great horological skill.But in reality any Tourbillon watch is no more accurate that several other non Tourbillon watches that cost very very very much less.And even todays modern watches,with or without Tourbillons are not so accurate as one produced by John Harrison almost 300 years ago.

Gravity is one of the main causes of rate variations in watches,by creating the Tourbillon,when Breguet thought he was eliminating its effects,It looks like it was an big error on his part,he only masked them like Tourbillons do.Now if someone could come up and counteract the effect on gravity on a wrist watch totally.Now that would be a big break through but until then Tourbillons,IMHO are just good to look at,and they are very very expensive to own,and they make them because they can.But again looking at the other side of the coin,in Breguets day a hundred plus years ago when he invented the Tourbillon and the tools he had then.And now today with modern machines and computers puts a different perspective on the making side of Tourbillons today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 08:23 PM   #45
imgook
"TRF" Member

Yeah it was more the theory behind it that got me thinking of how gravity would affect things. Hence leading to me think, how a watch rests over night might change if it gains or losses time.
Old 3 July 2018, 09:05 PM   #46
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
3.4 per day is excellent IMO
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 09:53 PM   #47
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060;124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by phraxos5 View Post
My sd43 runs 0.0 all the time. The new movement compensated perfectly active or inactive. Sounds like ringing bells.
I am very curious, do you mean it literally sounds like bells, in the sense that one can hear overtones/harmonics when listening to the cased watch?

I have been considering making a post about this, actually, since I have not read about this anywhere else.

While not the new movement, I sometimes listen to my SubC at night when going to bed. I notice that I hear not only the ticks, but a repeating pattern of ringing/overtones that I cannot quite describe. I assumed something was sounding just right in the escapement to cause something else to vibrate or resonate sympathetically.
Alimamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 02:47 AM   #48
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
The Tourbillon IMHO serves no real purpose in a wrist watch at all,only the fact the watchmakers can make them.... But the Tourbillon works best in one position...

I’ve read about how the tourbillon was invented to address issues in pocket watches which just sat in one position for the most part as the owner carried them in a little pocket in his/her vest.

I’ve also read that in a wrist watch, they serve no real purpose.

But hey, the whole mechanical watch really serves no purpose since we can find the time on our cell phone or using a quartz watch! haha

“Only the fact that watchmakers can make them”

I mean I think I just like the idea behind the tourbillon...

To me, it’s cool that Breguet would’ve thought of such a thing.

The other day, I was reading about how watchmakers try to address shock resistance... I read that Richard Mille makes a watch where the movement is actually suspended inside the case in order to provide shock resistance

This may be overkill or something, I don’t know, but I think it’s cool that Richard Mille thought of this, and made it work.

As somebody new to watches, I would like to admit that sometimes I’m reading and I’m just blown away by something I learn

It makes reading about watches pretty enjoyable

Old 4 July 2018, 10:43 AM   #49
imgook
"TRF" Member

Pretty much spot on. Wrist watches in general serve no real purpose in this modern day hehe
Old 4 July 2018, 11:35 PM   #50
oroloi
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116621
Enjoy your watch for every 86400 seconds in every day and remember that even though our watches gain or loose we still get 86400 seconds every day, that doesn’t change
oroloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 02:37 AM   #51
Nandor
"TRF" Member

Update :

After putting the watch crown up nightly, accuracy is vastly improved. Running at an average of +0.77s/d now! Amazing!

Nandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 05:06 AM   #52
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Reasonable time???, the watch is keeping fantastic time consistency is the most important.

Well in the real world just like they market the fuel consumption MPG on new cars in a controlled environment,but its doubtful the car buyer will achieve those exact figures just to many variables.Like how heavy the foot is on the gas,traffic variables different weather conditions and so on same with watches on the wrist

This new spec now for Rolex watches they are exactly the same Rolex movements that are still tested at the COSC to Average of -4+6 seconds to get the COSC certification.After certification the movements are shipped back to Rolex perhaps stored for weeks months or longer.Then when movement is matched to its case if its true Rolex further regulates on a machine to this new precision of -2+2 seconds.What does this mean well just like the COSC test at time of testing movement met said spec,they have not put some special foo foo dust in the case to make them better. As all the Rolex movements since the 15 series when regulated on a machine could match this new spec.But on the wrist too many variables to 100% guarantee movement will be -2+2 every day for life.Many things affect any mechanical movement while on the wrist,the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations,mainspring power-reserve subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no.And I am sure this new spec is more marketing than anything,as Omega started it so Rolex had to follow.But this term accuracy will perhaps 2 or 3 seconds out of 86400 in a day make any real difference only if you have this new timing app sydrome plus the constant checking time syndrome.Just cannot understand why some worry and fret over a difference of a second or so out of 86400.
Nothing to add, hits the nail right on the head
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 05:09 AM   #53
adams12
"TRF" Member

Recently bought my first Rolex, it’s a Rolex date 15200 and decided to join the forum.. mine is currently running 2 seconds fast after a month!! Amazing how accurate a 19 year old watch can be!
adams12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:00 PM   #54
Manstrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My Explorer II, Movement 3187 is more than accurate.

On the wrist for ~ 17hrs +-0/-0,1 spd

Off the wrist for ~ 7hrs
crown down +0,5 spd
crown up -1,3 spd
Dial up -0,3 spd
dial down -0,2 sp

So I can play with how I lay the watch down over night.
If I want to gain half a second crown down, if I want to lose some tenths of seconds dial up or down.
Manstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 09:13 PM   #55
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
My GMT runs around +5/+6 but my Sub C was always on the slower side -3/-4.
Old 28 July 2018, 04:43 AM   #56
crbrown
"TRF" Member

My new GMT2 is currently running -1 sec after being set to NIST Monday night. I've only worn it in the evenings so far this week.

How much does wearing affect accuracy?
crbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 05:15 AM   #57
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Here is mine, same watch.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 12:31 AM   #58
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I may have missed it but what App is that that you are using to track the accuracy
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 12:45 AM   #59
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Never mind I found it
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 02:08 AM   #60
Gotham777
"TRF" Member

I get the greatest variations of all in the Vertical 12up (crown right) and 12 down (crown left) positions in both my BLNR (3186 movement) and my EX11 (3187).
My BLNR is +6 12 down and -4 12 up.
I bought myself a little watch stand to be able to leave it vertical 12up overnight to compensate for the +4 to +5 I get wearing it in the day (a lot of 12 down position).
BLNR is only 2 months old, so will give it some time to settle in.

My EX11 is much better +2 when wearing and -2 vertical 12up overnight.

All of this verified by my timing machine and the same app you have.
Gotham777 is offline   Reply With Quote