The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Gluten free anyone?

I saw a nutritionist and recommended going gluten and dairy free, been a few days and feel worse!

Is anyone following this kind of diet? Any hints or tips, it’s tough!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Latest fads. Some people have real physical ailments from gluten and dairy, but most don't. It seems like everyone wants to generalize that they're bad for you.

I'm sticking with the land of milk and honey. What did they recommend as replacements in your diet for these nutrition sources?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
You will soon start to enjoy it.

Takes about a lifetime.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:13 PM   #4
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence......haha

Anyone have a positive experience?

Old 20 July 2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Latest fads. Some people have real physical ailments from gluten and dairy, but most don't. It seems like everyone wants to generalize that they're bad for you.

I'm sticking with the land of milk and honey. What did they recommend as replacements in your diet for these nutrition sources?
Exactly. I knew a Girl who had Celiac and avoiding gluten was medically necessary. Seeing all these trendy hipsters going gluten free because it's the latest fad makes me laugh.

Nutrition isn't a science, nutritionists are constantly changing their minds on what a good diet is. Next week they'll be telling us going gluten free causes cancer.

If there's no medical reason for it, then why avoid it?
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence......haha

Anyone have a positive experience?

You can always pick out fake science when you don't get the risk-reward discussion.

There are positive benefits to every dietary item, as well as potential risk. If your nutritionist is just saying to cut these foods out, but is not saying what their benefits are, and what alternatives will replace these benefits, then it's just another fashion that will increase your grocery bill without improving your health.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
People over think dieting and eating properly.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Gluten free anyone?

I guess some context is required......constant fatigue, nausea, dizziness etc

Bloods all fine, heart fine etc. Don’t drink or smoke.

Trying to find a balance in what I eat is the first step.

6’ 2” and 81KG so not overweight, losing weight over 6 month period although eating the same.

Old 20 July 2018, 09:29 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm mostly carb free so no way I can go dairy free.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
You appear to have seen a doctor and having done some testing, and found nothing sinister, he has referred you to a nutritionist.
The "constant fatigue, nausea and dizziness" would concern me a bit.
I think I would be looking for a diagnosis - probably based on further tests rather than a nutritionist referral. What about a consult with another doctor?

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:49 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Exactly. I knew a Girl who had Celiac and avoiding gluten was medically necessary. Seeing all these trendy hipsters going gluten free because it's the latest fad makes me laugh.
thats my issue as well. My mother in law is 1/2 gluten free. Its annoying as whenever she visits we have to buy all the stuff but for her favorite foods, gluten is fine. She is convinced reducing gluten benefits her health. Like you are sort of allergic, or have a slight case of Celiac, which is nonsense. You either are or you aren't.

its rare enough of a condition that wouldn't support an entire aisle of a grocery store of food choices. So it is a fad but genuine sufferers actually benefit from the fad as they would have less food choice if it was not also trendy.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:50 PM   #12
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I agree with others that state in many cases it's a fad. Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, it's usually not necessary. Overkill.

I was feeling fatigued every afternoon for a while, then I realized I was dehydrated. A couple glasses of water in the afternoon and I felt better.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:55 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I agree with others that state in many cases it's a fad. Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, it's usually not necessary. Overkill.

I was feeling fatigued every afternoon for a while, then I realized I was dehydrated. A couple glasses of water in the afternoon and I felt better.
dairy free i get. Goats milk is actually closer to breast milk so people dont usually have an issue with that as it has less lactose, but try to find that in the store

Cows milk is pretty hard to process for a lot of people but why the alternative is almond or soy i have no idea.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 July 2018, 10:56 PM   #14
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Sounds like the nutritionist is looking to eliminate certain foods in an experimental way to see how you feel. report back not only how you feel but your concerns as well. Nutritionists and doctors have to be a fit for you and you need to trust them, if not find a new one(s).

That said I think what s/he is doing is sound, if you felt better you'd know one or both were a trigger for you of some kind. Now that you know it's not you can move towards other possible answers. JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 11:21 PM   #15
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I started doing the Keto diet which is heavy in fats and less than 20 carbs a day back in January. Through April I lost about 25 lbs. keep in mind probably about 5-7lbs of this is purely water weight since when you cut carbs your body holds much less water. I also included cheat meals through out this time period.

I decided to break away for a bit becaus eof vacations / the difficulty to truly maintain the diet. I gain back about 7 lbs (which was wel expected due to water weight and, well... vacations).

My goal now is to go back to the Keto diet to get back down to ~170 then up my carb intake to 50-75g per day and back down on fats and up protein 15-20%.

The Keto diet straight up works. The problem most people have is sticking to it and getting through that tough first week of carb withdrawal. Also, it is very difficult to eat out because EVEYRHING in a restaurant has sugar.
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 11:33 PM   #16
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Sounds like the nutritionist is looking to eliminate certain foods in an experimental way to see how you feel. report back not only how you feel but your concerns as well. Nutritionists and doctors have to be a fit for you and you need to trust them, if not find a new one(s).

That said I think what s/he is doing is sound, if you felt better you'd know one or both were a trigger for you of some kind. Now that you know it's not you can move towards other possible answers. JMHO
Marc, every time I see your avatar I ask myself why in the hell does Marc have a picture of Rick Harrison as a avatar...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 11:52 PM   #17
TRM
Banned

Gluten, just a few short years ago no one even had a clue about gluten, had no idea what it was, many probably couldn't even spell it. Now everyone is on the gluten bandwagon, can't eat this or that because it has gluten in it, get over it, personally I think in the not so distant future nutritionists will say gluten is good for you. Kinda like coffee, one day drinking it will kill you, the next day it's a cure all.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 12:09 AM   #18
Moggo
"TRF" Member

I think it is a case of ruling things out.

I wasn’t referred to a nutritionist, I decided to see if it would help.

Unfortunately my experience with doctors (GP’s for us UK folk) is less than stella!

If it’s more complex than a boil on your a** or something that they can prescribe antibiotics for they don’t really want to look into it. (No offence meant to any Doctors on this forum)

As long as you are ‘not going to die of it’ they move you on, forgetting about quality of life or discomfort.

YMMV.

Old 21 July 2018, 12:11 AM   #19
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Marc, every time I see your avatar I ask myself why in the hell does Marc have a picture of Rick Harrison as a avatar...
Old 21 July 2018, 12:44 AM   #20
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Maybe its because our wheat is heavy in GMO's, Might be a reason Japan and other European countries have banned US Wheat imports.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 01:16 AM   #21
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Total scam IMO
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 01:50 AM   #22
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Probably wasn’t the ideal forum to ask this on in hindsight.....haha

Should have asked if I could eat gluten free with my Rolex on

Old 21 July 2018, 02:02 AM   #23
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
Maybe its because our wheat is heavy in GMO's, Might be a reason Japan and other European countries have banned US Wheat imports.
There isn’t much GMO wheat in the US. It hasn’t been approved for commercial production. There was a discovery of unapproved GMO wheat in Oregon a few years ago that set off a big scare, but that is pretty far from any notion that US wheat “is heavy” in GMO.

Whatever there is has nothing to do with gluten. All wheat (and other grass) has gluten.
Old 21 July 2018, 02:46 AM   #24
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Came across this years ago. It's hilarious!!

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3895583

If medically necessary, completely understandable, but why would anyone want to avoid yummy foods just for the trend... I love gluten!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 03:16 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Came across this year's ago. It's hilarious!!

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3895583

If medically necessary, completely understandable, but why would anyone want to avoid yummy foods just for the trend... I love gluten!
That’s funny.

I went to whole foods once. They were the only store in town with dates. Other than the candida, the article captured my experience pretty well.

They had a whole aisle of “organic” sugar. Translated - partially processed sugar. Apparently, if you skip the expensive final processing step that removes the dirt, worm turds, and digested plant parts, you get this healthy brownish colored sugar that tastes funny for only ten times what fully processed sugar costs. I’ll stick with the fully processed, reagent grade sugar my mom has bought for her kitchen for 70 years.
Old 21 July 2018, 03:23 AM   #26
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
My wife had all of the things you mentioned and much worse. Ended up at an allergist. Tested her for everything under the sun. The worst ones for her were soy and yeast. If she eats them she feels pretty bad, pretty fast.

Try to avoid soy in a US diet. Almost impossible.

Then she read the Plant Paradox book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 03:30 AM   #27
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Then she read the Plant Paradox book.
Tell me about it!! My wife read it too, threw away all my fruit and vegetables with seeds and skin and tossed anything that could potentially have PBA. All my tuperware is gone

I wanted to make some tomato sauce and had to peel all my tomatoes and deseed them...
Old 21 July 2018, 05:11 AM   #28
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I think it is a case of ruling things out.

I wasn’t referred to a nutritionist, I decided to see if it would help.

Unfortunately my experience with doctors (GP’s for us UK folk) is less than stella!

If it’s more complex than a boil on your a** or something that they can prescribe antibiotics for they don’t really want to look into it. (No offence meant to any Doctors on this forum)

As long as you are ‘not going to die of it’ they move you on, forgetting about quality of life or discomfort.

YMMV.

Most doctors know that physical medicine is vastly over-rated. Even the absolute best drugs that we have (humble aspirin would be near the top) don’t actually confer benefit to the majority that take them.

As a humungously gross generalisation, with plenty of exceptions, if it doesn’t kill you, and it isn’t a surgical problem, it’ll get better by itself. If it doesn’t get better by itself, there is a reasonable chance it can’t be cured anyway.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 05:16 AM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i want to go to a restaurant and order extra gluten "on the side" just to see what they say. I like it so why cant i get more? they have leftovers clearly.
Old 21 July 2018, 05:26 AM   #30
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Most doctors know that physical medicine is vastly over-rated. Even the absolute best drugs that we have (humble aspirin would be near the top) don’t actually confer benefit to the majority that take them.

As a humungously gross generalisation, with plenty of exceptions, if it doesn’t kill you, and it isn’t a surgical problem, it’ll get better by itself. If it doesn’t get better by itself, there is a reasonable chance it can’t be cured anyway.
I believe the word you’re looking for is voodoo. The witch doctor prescribed plants and minerals, the modern physician prescribes tabletized refined plants and minerals. Medicine as a profession has obviously advanced greatly (especially surgery and diagnostics), but medicines aren’t that far removed from the voodoo of old.

At the same time, medical systems have evolved into factory production processes. Driven either by profit or by efficiency, they transport the patient through standardized steps designed to maximize throughput. The doctor that is genuinely interested in you and your outcome has become exceptionally rare.