The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2017, 03:59 AM   #91
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I am a very conservative dividend investor, but I bought some stocks like Apple and Google many years ago. Thanks for your assessment. I checked out Aphria on Seeking Alpha, and bought 500 shares to get my feet wet. My guess is that down the road Phillip Morris or Altria will buy one of the better marijuana companies. I own both of those stocks.
In full agreement. However, I’d expand the scope of potential acquirers to include:

Strategic Buyers: Beverage Companies (soft drink and alcohol), pharmaceutical cos., food companies,

Financial Buyers: Private Equity

The industry will massively consolidate with great scale faster than it will become further fragmented, due to access to capital. It is easier for the big guys to obtain it (organically and via bought deals/secondary offerings). Aphria just did that again today. It is critical to raise as much cash for expansion now, as it will never be any cheaper to expand capacity to buy market share than now.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:03 AM   #92
hsm
Banned

yes, oxford is quite a place, some legends have gone through those colleges and some not so legendary, someone that you know very well,

they can also be very wrong, beware the intellectual.

you admitted you love dope because it made you half a million bucks since nov 1st

I could easily change my view for that type of money, as I wouldn't be the one smoking it

nothing like a nice bit of profit driven hypocrisy.
hsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:13 AM   #93
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Just bought about 500 shares of Aphria.

Let’s see how this unfolds.
Seth..
You still have CARA ??
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:16 AM   #94
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsm View Post
yes, oxford is quite a place, some legends have gone through those colleges and some not so legendary, someone that you know very well,

they can also be very wrong, beware the intellectual.

you admitted you love dope because it made you half a million bucks since nov 1st

I could easily change my view for that type of money, as I wouldn't be the one smoking it

nothing like a nice bit of profit driven hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy only exists when one speaks out of both sides of their mouth. I’d never risk seven figures in something that I don’t believe in. BitCoin made people a lot of money. I do not believe in the thesis behind it. BlockChain good, no regulation nor intrisic value bad.

I only invested in the Cannabis industry because I think it solves many issues for mankind. I did my own detailed analytical research first (flew across the country meeting with medical experts, policy makers, policy enforcers, leading industry participants, and patients). It’s called due diligence. It is not hypocritical to do your homework, develop an investment thesis, then put 65% of your wealth where your mouth is.
Old 14 December 2017, 04:20 AM   #95
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Maybe the rules are different for Private Equity guys and it's industry, but I can tell you from the Wall Street side of the business, i.e. Private Wealth management and or Financial Advisors, it is not permitted either by firms or FINRA to tout stocks or even recommend them on forums as the advisor really has no way of knowing risk tolerances, investment goals, horizons, etc.
of the various members.

I've been working on the private client side of Wall St. since 1984 and know the regs.

These ideas are coming across as recommendations that would not pass at a broker/dealer firm.

Caveat emptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caveat emptor is right. Sounds like nothing more than a front man pushing an OTC stock.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:22 AM   #96
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Seth..
You still have CARA ??
No. I got nervous at one point and dumped all of my individual stocks. Clearly I wish I did not do that. But I did make a nice few bucks from that. Thank you!!

I learned my lesson. At this point, I am all about buy and hold long term.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:22 AM   #97
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Caveat emptor is right. Sounds like nothing more than a front man pushing an OTC stock.

Ummm, bingo.

Old 14 December 2017, 04:25 AM   #98
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
Hypocrisy only exists when one speaks out of both sides of their mouth. I’d never risk seven figures in something that I don’t believe in. BitCoin made people a lot of money. I do not believe in the thesis behind it. BlockChain good, no regulation nor intrisic value bad.

I only invested in the Cannabis industry because I think it solves many issues for mankind. I did my own detail analytical research first (flew across the country meeting with medical experts, policy makers, policy enforcers, leading industry participants, and patients). It’s called due diligence. It is not hypocritical to do your homework, develop an investment thesis, then put 65% of your wealth where your mouth is.

FWIW, please stop responding.

Your posts are super well thought out and present valid reasons for why you are suggesting these stocks.

You have been polite, patient and thorough in your explanations.

Your thoughts have been so compelling it looks like about 5 of us have bought stock in this company.

Thank you.

But you are never going to win this argument. It is not worth having and it actually detracts from your great message.

Just my $.02

Old 14 December 2017, 04:26 AM   #99
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. I got nervous at one point and dumped all of my individual stocks. Clearly I wish I did not do that. But I did make a nice few bucks from that. Thank you!!

I learned my lesson. At this point, I am all about buy and hold long term.
I understand. I think at your age your better to hold. I think your under 40 ? Anyways, best of luck on whatever you do
Old 14 December 2017, 04:27 AM   #100
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you think I am the only one with this view?

no my friend, I am the mainstream trust me,

its just I am not edgy and cool, never have been, never will be.

Come with me and I will show you the real 'benefits' to society, happening in my town right now, its really not pretty.

ever heard of a gateway drug?

I am 50, by the way, I heard all this 'new' research 30 years ago, I've lived a lot, my eyes are my research.
Quote:
I respect others opinions, it's just they don't sit with mine, I've always believed the medicinal benefits were exaggerated to get it through, lets face it, the main market will not be the sick, its going to be the healthy.

Another issue, is the length of time it takes to leave the body and the issues this will cause with people driving after using cannabis, if I drink two pints of Guinness over a period of four hours, I know for a fact that if I drive my car and get stopped, I am well within the legal limit,

So someone sits at home legally puffing all evening, gets in their car the next morning, they may feel ok, but how will it be judged by an officer as to their driving legality, drink is easier to monitor. Also, many people ingest cannabis, this can stay in the system for ages.

its a can of worms, unnecessary in my view, but there we go, its just one mans view, with no power or influence, and I have said enough.

many thanks for the debate.

I think you've made some interesting points and I tend to generally agree with much of what you've said. You do seem to be rather outnumbered here though, so rather than remain silent on the sideline I'd thought I'd offer some support.

Full disclosure, I have never used marijuana, but I presume that unlike alcohol that is usually consumed in quantities that don't necessarily result in intoxication, recreational marijuana is only consumed to induce altered consciousness.

If I'm wrong in that assumption I'm sure someone will correct me.

Also, I'm sure that there are many teenagers and young adults who choose to abide by the law, and legalization of recreational pot will remove any prohibition for these individuals, thereby increasing exposure to an already vulnerable group. (I presume that there will be some age restrictions similar to alcohol and tobacco, but it will still be destigmatized regardless)

I think the topic of this thread though was to address the investment potential of the cannabis industry, and while we can have differeing opinions on drug use, I think many would rather leave the moral issue aside and consider the profit potential. As I type this I realize how mercenary it must sound.

I guess I'm driven more by capitalist ideals than moral integrity. Clearly I'm weak.

I'm not going to actively promote recreational pot use, but I'm not about to miss out on a good business opportunity.

Now I've probably pissed off all sides of the debate. Oh well...

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:29 AM   #101
hsm
Banned

Quote:

I only invested in the Cannabis industry because I think it solves many issues for mankind. I did my own detail analytical research first (flew across the country meeting with medical experts, policy makers, policy enforcers, leading industry participants, and patients). It’s called due diligence. It is not hypocritical to do your homework, develop an investment thesis, then put 65% of your wealth where your mouth is.

no, I mean it would be hypocrisy on my part, but I admit I would take the money, and to hell with my view, lifes too short to turn down life changing bread, no laws are being broken. One thing I am, is a capitalist believer.

its not hypocrisy on your part, you are a believer anyway, and you are cashing in, and why not.
Old 14 December 2017, 04:29 AM   #102
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I understand. I think at your age your better to hold. I think your under 40 ? Anyways, best of luck on whatever you do
Appreciate that. Thank you.

I am 43. The vast majority of my money is with a wealth management guy from ML. I have a very small amount in individual stocks for the fun of it. At one point I thought I was going to trade back and forth and try and become wealthy.

LMAO. So much for that. I just pick up a few shares of stuff here and there as I like to watch how the market works and it keeps me interested when I have skin in the game.

Old 14 December 2017, 04:33 AM   #103
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FWIW, please stop responding.

Your posts are super well thought out and present valid reasons for why you are suggesting these stocks.

You have been polite, patient and thorough in your explanations.

Your thoughts have been so compelling it looks like about 5 of us have bought stock in this company.

Thank you.

But you are never going to win this argument. It is not worth having and it actually detracts from your great message.

Just my $.02
Perfectly stated.

We're not going to reach a moral consensus, but we can still benefit from this information. I believe that's what the OP intended.

Old 14 December 2017, 04:46 AM   #104
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I think you've made some interesting points and I tend to generally agree with much of what you've said. You do seem to be rather outnumbered here though, so rather than remain silent on the sideline I'd thought I'd offer some support.

Full disclosure, I have never used marijuana, but I presume that unlike alcohol that is usually consumed in quantities that don't necessarily result in intoxication, recreational marijuana is only consumed to induce altered consciousness.

If I'm wrong in that assumption I'm sure someone will correct me.

Also, I'm sure that there are many teenagers and young adults who choose to abide by the law, and legalization of recreational pot will remove any prohibition for these individuals, thereby increasing exposure to an already vulnerable group. (I presume that there will be some age restrictions similar to alcohol and tobacco, but it will still be destigmatized regardless)

I think the topic of this thread though was to address the investment potential of the cannabis industry, and while we can have differeing opinions on drug use, I think many would rather leave the moral issue aside and consider the profit potential. As I type this I realize how mercenary it must sound.

I guess I'm driven more by capitalist ideals than moral integrity. Clearly I'm weak.

I'm not going to actively promote recreational pot use, but I'm not about to miss out on a good business opportunity.

Now I've probably pissed off all sides of the debate. Oh well...

to you too. But realize the tip of the cannabis spear has recently had a paradigm shift. There so much possibility for medical uses they are finding, more and more uses. CBD has been a terrific for certain medical issues.

CBD ( cannabidiol ) is the main non-psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis which is reported and confirmed to alleviate the symptoms of many medical and psychological ailments. It's exciting to watch this unfold, can you imagine instead of nasty pain medication you instead use something natural that has just about the same effect and no addiction. Personally I don't like smoking anything and never really did much, just the college stuff, but this is getting interesting with oils and edibles and not having to worry about your liver or even driving. Although I won't drive after taking the oil just to be safe until I'm sure it's ok.

Old 14 December 2017, 05:11 AM   #105
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Ummm...Nobody is pushing anything here. Just stating public facts about the global trend towards legalization. It IS happening...daily. Do some research for goodness sakes. Time Magazine even printed a Special Edition dedicated to Cannabis that was displayed on every grocery checkout stand in America last Spring.

This thread is an off-chute of a comment I made on a BitCoin thread about preferring to invest in Cannabis Stocks. My PM was burning up with people asking me to make the comment a separate discussion thread, so here we are. I’m not promoting anything, only answering questions with very detailed and accurate information from public sources, and my own private due diligence meetings, when I was looking to make Private Equity investments in several U.S. Medical Marijuana Dispensaries and Recreational Cannabis product manufacturer. Instead of tying money up with those companies for an unknown period of time, I have instead invested in 3 of the largest Canadian Cannabis companies, and am now just in Aphria based on current valuation.

BTW...most foreign companies trade OTC in the U.S., unless they list on an exchange. NO Cannabis companies are allowed to list on a U.S. exchange since it is still federally illegal. However, Aphria, Canopy, Aurora, MedReleaf are all Canadian companies, where Medical Marijuana IS legal, are publicly-listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Hence, trading OTC in the U.S.

These 4 companies are NOT pink sheet penny stocks. They each have market caps between $1.5-3.0 billion. There may be some scammy pink sheet Cannabis Cos out there, but these sure as heck aren’t them. If they were, Constellation Brands, the U.S. publicly-traded, maker of Corona, Modelo, Svedka Vodka, Kim Crawford Wines, etc. wouldn’t have invested $200MM into Canopy with warrants for another $200MM.

To the OP (financial advisor) who talks of me promoting stocks. He and I could have one hell of a debate about the inherent conflicts of interest within the investment industry, so he may not really want to go there. 26 years on Wall Street, and also grew up around it my whole life, so I’d be me more than happy to lift the veil on that racket if he’d like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7B663F65-756B-423B-97B8-1A976E3D6A2C.jpeg (291.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 14 December 2017, 05:15 AM   #106
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
to you too. But realize the tip of the cannabis spear has recently had a paradigm shift. There so much possibility for medical uses they are finding, more and more uses. CBD has been a terrific for certain medical issues.

I appreciate your obviously well informed and extremely metered approach.

For the record, I am 100% in favor of legalized medical marijuana. My only issue is with its recreational use. If I can profit substantially off its legal sale however (recreational or medical), I'm pretty sure a fat portfolio will assuage my moral confliction.

Old 14 December 2017, 05:23 AM   #107
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

U.S. Patent on Use of Cannabinoids

Clearly, there is some potential medicinal value in Cannabis and Hemp...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9C2E226E-D280-44E3-B845-7E6BAF5C2C62.jpeg (267.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 14 December 2017, 05:33 AM   #108
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Clearly, there is some potential medicinal value in Cannabis and Hemp...
I think it's undebatable.

Scientific evidence is overwhelmingly convincing.
Old 14 December 2017, 05:55 AM   #109
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I think it's undebatable.

Scientific evidence is overwhelmingly convincing.
Agreed, but now the U.S. Government needs to re-schedule Cannabis and Hemp to allow wide-scale scientific research. Objectively, does anybody else smell a rat in that marijuana is viewed by the DEA in the same way as Heroin and Cocaine? Kind seems like a conspiracy funded by the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries to block the advancement of a potential replacement for their own offerings. Really feels that way.
Old 14 December 2017, 06:10 AM   #110
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Agreed, but now the U.S. Government needs to re-schedule Cannabis and Hemp to allow wide-scale scientific research. Objectively, does anybody else smell a rat in that marijuana is viewed by the DEA in the same way as Heroin and Cocaine? Kind seems like a conspiracy funded by the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries to block the advancement of a potential replacement for their own offerings. Really feels that way.
Sounds like a political debate to me. I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying.
pickettt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 06:14 AM   #111
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Publicly-traded Cannabis Industry Companies

Quote:

Actually MJ is a schedule 1 while meth and cocaine are schedule 2.

Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 06:26 AM   #112
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
Actually MJ is a schedule 1 while meth and cocaine are schedule 2.

Understand. Didn’t mean same exact schedule level so much as the reasons for the various schedules. DEA has Cannabis listed as having no medicinal value. That was my point, especially when the government holds a Patent that states otherwise.
Old 14 December 2017, 07:16 AM   #113
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

What is the prognosis for products made from hemp, like clothing etc.

I've read that its a better product than cotton.

Is this also a viable industry waiting to bloom?
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 07:25 AM   #114
hsm
Banned

I always felt George Michael destroyed himself on dope,

in relative terms, he hardly performed and his output in the last 20 years was sporadic at best.

he ended up as a recluse at his mansion in Oxfordshire, dead at 53 alone and unhappy.

Maybe the dope helped him, and things would have been worse without.....you decide.
Old 14 December 2017, 09:11 AM   #115
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And nobody questions the legalization of this evil drug,

its not the stuff that john, paul, George, and ringo puffed in the 60s,

I find it hard to believe that the industry behind this vile poison has slowly but surely been allowed to chip away all the barriers and controls that once were, the police gave up on it in the uk years ago,

it took 50 odd years, but they won in the end. sickening.
All drugs are poisons, but marihuana happens to be one of the least harmful recreational drugs.

Google david-nutt-dangerous-drug-list
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 09:30 AM   #116
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I always felt George Michael destroyed himself on dope,

in relative terms, he hardly performed and his output in the last 20 years was sporadic at best.

he ended up as a recluse at his mansion in Oxfordshire, dead at 53 alone and unhappy.

Maybe the dope helped him, and things would have been worse without.....you decide.
Your argument/debate is based on speculation of what was the downfall of George Michael?

Old 14 December 2017, 10:20 AM   #117
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your argument/debate is based on speculation of what was the downfall of George Michael?
You gave me some good advice before about not debating that line of irrational reasoning. Hard to ignore such non-sense, especially when you’re just trying to be helpful and informative, but you were right. I suggest you do the same. Don’t take the bait. It’s like this anyway...
Old 14 December 2017, 10:23 AM   #118
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You gave me some good advice before about not debating that line of irrational reasoning. Hard to ignore such non-sense, especially when you’re just trying to be helpful and informative, but you were right. I suggest you do the same. Don’t take the bait. Thanks!
Dude. You are the smart one. I’m the dope that responds to the nonsense.

It’s beneath you. But it’s where I dwell. However, I am trying to rise above. I really am. I just couldn’t help myself on this one.

Old 14 December 2017, 10:30 AM   #119
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
What is the prognosis for products made from hemp, like clothing etc.

I've read that its a better product than cotton.

Is this also a viable industry waiting to bloom?
Absolutely! Hemp can be bred to be very rich in CBD oil, the non-psychotropic compound believed to have some the most effective therapeutic/medical potential, AND industrial hemp fiber, which is a renewable resource in the same fashion as say bamboo. It is already used in SO many products...including car door panels as insulation, amongs tons of other uses. These companies also produce hemp, and are pushing for increased cultivation.
Old 14 December 2017, 10:55 AM   #120
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I’m in. Bought 600 shares of Aphria APHQE on the dip ( not on purpose just got lucky ) last night. We will see how this turns out. I have been a long term proponent against prohibition when it wasn’t particularly good for your career to be. Time to put a bit of money where my mouth is on this.

and I am one of the members that PMed the OP about this. He was nice enough to give me some thoughtful advice. Thank you.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote