The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 May 2018, 06:37 AM   #91
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I don't buy mechanicals based solely on accuracy, either, but accuracy is certainly a consideration. I would actually call it a baseline criterion. If Rolex can guarantee +/- 2 spd in an automatic, why should I accept poorer accuracy from a different company that purports to offer higher-end watches? Put another way, I would not spend $15k on a currently-produced mechanical watch that could not at least be regulated to perform within COSC specs. That might be a moot point regarding the FF, since there are many anecdotal reports of FFs exceeding that standard, and approaching or equaling Rolex standards. Perhaps the issue with Andrey's watch was the person who regulated it, rather than the watch itself.
So we agree then

As I said, accuracy is only one consideration for me as well. I don't rank it above the others and I'm personally ok with sacrificing "some" accuracy for the aesthetics and overall enjoyment of wearing a piece.

As to whether 15K for a BP FF that is as accurate or slightly less accurate than a Rolex seems like a good value IMO.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 08:34 AM   #92
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
So we agree then

As I said, accuracy is only one consideration for me as well. I don't rank it above the others and I'm personally ok with sacrificing "some" accuracy for the aesthetics and overall enjoyment of wearing a piece.

As to whether 15K for a BP FF that is as accurate or slightly less accurate than a Rolex seems like a good value IMO.
Good lord don’t pay 15k! You can get them new for 9-10 all day. and that is a great value.
Old 9 May 2018, 08:47 AM   #93
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Good lord don’t pay 15k! You can get them new for 9-10 all day. and that is a great value.
That’s Tom, I was just using his number.

I’ve got a source, thanks to you btw
Old 9 May 2018, 04:49 PM   #94
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
That titanium model with the blue dial and bezel looks amazing in the metal, the contrast between the matte grey titanium case with it's directional brushwork and the glossiness of the sapphire bezel, and crystal is outstanding. The blue dial isn't as twinkly as the Flinque version, but it shows the textured detail finishing better IMHO.

Photos make the black dial look rather plain, if glossy. In real life you can just about appreciate the very fine sunburst radial brushing on the center section and the very fine concentric rings on the outer track underneath the indices.....on the blue, it really jumps out.

Ive seen gently used full sets, on the sailcloth for around the same price as SubC's go for these days...As Megan mentioned, if you think you might ever use the bracelet, get the watch on one and add other straps later, as sourcing and buying a bracelet later can be hard and expensive.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 09:31 PM   #95
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
That titanium model with the blue dial and bezel looks amazing in the metal, the contrast between the matte grey titanium case with it's directional brushwork and the glossiness of the sapphire bezel, and crystal is outstanding. The blue dial isn't as twinkly as the Flinque version, but it shows the textured detail finishing better IMHO.

Photos make the black dial look rather plain, if glossy. In real life you can just about appreciate the very fine sunburst radial brushing on the center section and the very fine concentric rings on the outer track underneath the indices.....on the blue, it really jumps out.

Ive seen gently used full sets, on the sailcloth for around the same price as SubC's go for these days...As Megan mentioned, if you think you might ever use the bracelet, get the watch on one and add other straps later, as sourcing and buying a bracelet later can be hard and expensive.
I’ve seen this model as well, and although I love the dial, the titanium case didn’t do it for me, funny how this hobby works ... ones ying is another’s yang

I’m hoping to see one in the metal this weekend or next. Our AD doesn’t have the best selection.
Old 10 May 2018, 01:41 AM   #96
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s Tom, I was just using his number.

I’ve got a source, thanks to you btw
just making sure buddy
Old 10 May 2018, 04:12 PM   #97
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
I’ve seen this model as well, and although I love the dial, the titanium case didn’t do it for me, funny how this hobby works ... ones ying is another’s yang

I’m hoping to see one in the metal this weekend or next. Our AD doesn’t have the best selection.

absolutely!
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 04:49 AM   #98
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

What is the approximate life span of BP sailcloth strap? And how much is costs buying separately?
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:06 AM   #99
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
If I remember correctly it’s ~$300. Durability really varies. Is it a daily wearer. Do you shower with it. Do you swim with it. Is it in rotation with other watches. Personally I think the strap is very durable. Better then leather or gator. I’d say durability is like a nato strap.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:20 AM   #100
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
If I remember correctly it’s ~$300. Durability really varies. Is it a daily wearer. Do you shower with it. Do you swim with it. Is it in rotation with other watches. Personally I think the strap is very durable. Better then leather or gator. I’d say durability is like a nato strap.

10x.
I'd like to get it on a bracelet but it's pretty heavy and makes already big watch to look even bigger.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:58 AM   #101
dim1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 218235
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_ View Post
Who cares about accuracy? lol

FF is a category itself!
My watch is too expensive to keep correct time.

I bought a stainless date here and stayed in love with the gold so now have both. I bought the gold at a big big discount from an AD. I'm really hard on things. The stainless is now in need of repair a second time. Last time the NY Boutique sent it to Switzerland and it took forever. Are there watchmakers in the US that would be just as good to have work on it?

I had the canvas but it was hot. It would get wet in the Texas heat. Was bothersome. Bought the rubber strap and love it. It seems indestructible. They have an XL (I think XL) that fits my huge (9") wrist, fwiw.

I don't wear my big honking gold Rolex as much as the Fifty Fathoms'
dim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 04:59 PM   #102
andrey_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim1 View Post

I bought a stainless date here and stayed in love with the gold so now have both. I bought the gold at a big big discount from an AD. I'm really hard on things. The stainless is now in need of repair a second time. Last time the NY Boutique sent it to Switzerland and it took forever. Are there watchmakers in the US that would be just as good to have work on it?

I had the canvas but it was hot. It would get wet in the Texas heat. Was bothersome. Bought the rubber strap and love it. It seems indestructible. They have an XL (I think XL) that fits my huge (9") wrist, fwiw.

Enjoy them in good health!

I had the sane problem with the service, it would take forever and would be insanely expensive. That is why I sent it to an independent.
But from my experience, factory is the only solution.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:27 PM   #103
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
10x.
I'd like to get it on a bracelet but it's pretty heavy and makes already big watch to look even bigger.
I don't know about that, the strap is quite thin and so makes the dominating crystal bezel seem a little top heavy, so I think the bracelet balances the watch out more. I would def have both for this watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:28 PM   #104
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Can I ask what discount you got on the RG FF?
Old 19 June 2018, 10:32 PM   #105
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I see Megan has been banned, a shame but not surprising really, she was always pushing it.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:33 PM   #106
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I see Megan has been banned, a shame but not surprising really, she was always pushing it.
Omgosh ... when did that happen?

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 19 June 2018, 11:03 PM   #107
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

I like the recently announced FF Ocean Commitment, a normal size!
However at 16k CHF pretty steep price, anyone know if these come with a discount. (Maybe one who bought a previous Ocean Commitment model is in the know)

Other than that, why is Megan banned...? She always had some nice pictures to add and info.
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:28 AM   #108
oldcarz
"TRF" Member

A few pix of the Blancpain BOCII when I first got it. Still had sticker on the back, but the real beauty is what shows and not pressed against the wrist. This was a limited run of 250 pieces, with lots of paperwork and certificates, etc. in the display box. But all that stuff is in the closet and the watch, itself, is the star.

Blue ceramic case is very light, but watch doesn't feel too delicate, and not as hefty as other SS watches, of course. Sail cloth strap is a nice and casual and wears well. I don't go diving with it, but it has gotten wet.

Because they are a limited edition, discounts are hard to find at an AD, but are available in the secondary markets.

There is a BOCIII recently released.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blancpain BOCII 5.jpg (151.7 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg Blancpain BOCII 3.jpg (181.9 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg Blancpain BOCII 4.jpg (167.7 KB, 535 views)
oldcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:56 AM   #109
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

The Ocean Commitment pieces for Blancpain always do well & sell out quickly. Big fan of the Fifty Fathoms model for this year.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:39 AM   #110
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I got a new rubber strap for summer which helps with one irksome issue I find on TSG products: their infuriating habit of producing watches with strap widths about 1mm narrower than they need to be (i.e. using a 21 where a 22 should go, and in this case a 23 where a 24 should go), which to my eyes makes the watches appear a bit "head heavy", i.e. the head dominates too much.

So this strap, a Hadley-Roma Men's MS3445RA, actually has a 24mm section for fitting between the lugs, and then meets the lugs at the bottom with a wider section of strap which to my eyes works quite well. Only took a slight bit of surgery with a trusty single edge razor blade to shave it down enough to fit cleanly, leaving me with four very small rubber donuts to play with. :)

Here are the results:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubber_Jun2018_1s.JPG (278.7 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg rubber_Jun2018_2s.jpg (273.7 KB, 547 views)
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 04:12 PM   #111
dim1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Can I ask what discount you got on the RG FF?
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. 30 retail I want to say i paid 21 and change, new. I'll check at the office Monday and update.
Old 24 June 2018, 03:36 AM   #112
dim1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. 30 retail I want to say i paid 21 and change, new. I'll check at the office Monday and update.
22500 so 25% off. I could get that price and a little lower but not from an AD , that I could find. I hope I did ok.
Old 26 June 2018, 08:17 PM   #113
Lange1
"TRF" Member

Well well well. The only watch that I never get tired of taking pictures at day and night.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Lange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 06:10 AM   #114
Goschi10
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love my Blancpain FF, both on the sailcloth strap and on the x71 bracelet. Not to mention the x71 bracelet is an absolute work of art, one of the best bracelets out their in my opinion. Also the newer ones have the leaf-spring / clam-shell deployment clasp that is truly incredible.
Goschi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 10:24 PM   #115
Faddius
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4k
Has anyone seen many Milspecs for sale anywhere? I’ve called into a few ADs, kept an eye on TRF and Chrono24. They seem to be few and far between and only for full retail when they crop up on Grays. That model seems to buck the trend on usual FF depreciation curve and discounting.
Faddius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 03:00 AM   #116
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

My dealer offered me an ocean commitment III for a great price if anyone is looking for one. Basically a blue dialed mil spec with a few changes. I have nothing to gain here just looking to help in case someone is eyeing one.

(Photo credit time and tide)
Old 1 August 2018, 06:43 AM   #117
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faddius View Post
Has anyone seen many Milspecs for sale anywhere? I’ve called into a few ADs, kept an eye on TRF and Chrono24. They seem to be few and far between and only for full retail when they crop up on Grays. That model seems to buck the trend on usual FF depreciation curve and discounting.
Are the boutiques completely through with the run of 500? I passed on one in March here in NYC, not that long ago. Might be worth it to check in on a few boutiques.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 07:18 AM   #118
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Are the boutiques completely through with the run of 500? I passed on one in March here in NYC, not that long ago. Might be worth it to check in on a few boutiques.
I believe they are all sold & no more are coming to the US.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 10:29 AM   #119
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

I think if you convince them that you are 100% down to buy one they will try to find one somewhere in the world if available and ship it to their boutique. It's a big commitment though.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 03:58 PM   #120
Faddius
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4k
Thanks for the advice. I’ll try a boutique and see if they can source from global inventory.
Faddius is offline   Reply With Quote