The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 July 2018, 03:20 AM   #1
Malren
"TRF" Member

What’s up with these “AP House” boutiques?

Yoo

Has anyone here been in one of these “AP House” boutiques and can share their experience?
What differs them from regular boutiques? Can I actually go hang out there without any interest of buying a watch just because I’m an AP owner?
Malren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 05:09 AM   #2
tng11
"TRF" Member

Call me cynical, but I suspect its AP's way to cut costs - less need for prime ground floor retail.

I can imagine it might be a nicer venue for holding events, but it's hard to imagine just going there to "hang out". I'll make sure to stop by the one in Hong Kong the next time I'm there.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 05:14 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

What’s up with these “AP House” boutiques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malren View Post

Can I actually go hang out there without any interest of buying a watch just because I’m an AP owner?

The appointment only ones probably not. I definitely would not feel as comfortable stopping by to see watches as I do with my current AD. To me it’s make appointment to buy not to browse

It’s removing accessibility to 95%of AP owners. But, on the other hand it’s increasing access to a small amount of select customers. Bad for most but good for some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:36 AM   #4
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Call me cynical, but I suspect its AP's way to cut costs - less need for prime ground floor retail.

I can imagine it might be a nicer venue for holding events, but it's hard to imagine just going there to "hang out". I'll make sure to stop by the one in Hong Kong the next time I'm there.

I’m not really sure that you’re on the right path here on the idea of cost cutting, nothing about AP is cheap, every event I’ve been to in over 10 years of buying their watches is top dollar. Everything they do is done with excellence in mind from the watches they make to the events they put on to the factory/museum visits to the buying experience and even the gifts they thank you with. Why should their lounge resemble a cost cutting excersise when absolutely nothing else about them does?
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:39 AM   #5
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
They just want to be closer to clients in an intimate setting. I was at a small dinner at the HK one last night where they revealed some novelties to about 6 collectors. Amazing food and wine and a lovely experience. They hosted lunch for me there when they delivered my custom piece. I think it is an excellent concept. They are open to anyone during the day and I frequently stop by for a coffee.
Old 13 July 2018, 09:57 AM   #6
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have been to one of their "house" in Hong Kong. It's build like a living room of a luxury private apartment. Very cozy place and a more relaxing environment to browse and enjoy trying out their watches. Yes, you can buy your timepiece there. As Roger mentioned, they also host events and get-togethers there. I think it's a great concept. AP is not the only one doing so. There's also JLC. It's a retail concept.

For me, the best part of it is there's natural lighting to take better pictures.
Old 13 July 2018, 01:52 PM   #7
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I have been to one of their "house" in Hong Kong. It's build like a living room of a luxury private apartment. Very cozy place and a more relaxing environment to browse and enjoy trying out their watches. Yes, you can buy your timepiece there. As Roger mentioned, they also host events and get-togethers there. I think it's a great concept. AP is not the only one doing so. There's also JLC. It's a retail concept.

For me, the best part of it is there's natural lighting to take better pictures.
Agreed. AP House in Hong Kong is a beautiful set up (some photos here , though they don’t do full justice to it http://www.lifestyleasia.com/544117/...ouse-hong-kong)

The boutique gets a lot of foot traffic and has a pretty astonishing volume of pieces being bought and collected, in contrast to AP House which is, as you point out, a more relaxing environment.

I was initially a bit put off by the location and the building they chose for it, but the building pretty rapidly filled up with art galleries and suits the brand perfectly (though the parking around it still sucks! Much better to have a driver if you go )
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:13 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’m not really sure that you’re on the right path here on the idea of cost cutting, nothing about AP is cheap, every event I’ve been to in over 10 years of buying their watches is top dollar. Everything they do is done with excellence in mind from the watches they make to the events they put on to the factory/museum visits to the buying experience and even the gifts they thank you with. Why should their lounge resemble a cost cutting excersise when absolutely nothing else about them does?
i wouldn't say cost cutting in the respect they are having money trouble but i would say cost cutting in the context of increasing revenue on per watch sales with lower overhead. Its absolutely costing them less than opening a proper boutique with a "lounge" upstairs for events/VIPs.

costing less doesnt necessarily mean its cheap so i agree with you there. For what it is, its very nice. The HK one in particular as ive seen quite a few facebook pics of it is quite impressive.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 13 July 2018, 08:50 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
That looks nice, hope the London one becomes like that. Last time I was passing I asked for a strap change but was denied entry as I hadn't made an appointment, even tho they changed my strap over a couple of months earlier.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:00 PM   #10
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

I have been extremely impressed by my interactions with AP - in my view they are operating at the highest level amongst their peers and, as I have previously stated on this forum, I believe that their overall strategy is very sound. I find the AP House concept to be a far more luxurious retail experience and personally I think it speaks to the brand's approach going forward.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:01 PM   #11
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That looks nice, hope the London one becomes like that. Last time I was passing I asked for a strap change but was denied entry as I hadn't made an appointment, even tho they changed my strap over a couple of months earlier.
Hopefully silly things like this will be ironed out; I hope you shared some feedback!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 10:08 PM   #12
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i wouldn't say cost cutting in the respect they are having money trouble but i would say cost cutting in the context of increasing revenue on per watch sales with lower overhead. Its absolutely costing them less than opening a proper boutique with a "lounge" upstairs for events/VIPs.

costing less doesnt necessarily mean its cheap so i agree with you there. For what it is, its very nice. The HK one in particular as ive seen quite a few facebook pics of it is quite impressive.
Spot on. This was more what I meant.

And using London as an example - I can't believe their boutique is that service centre. That definitely costs them less than a prime retail spot in Mayfair, which is more overhead for them.

I won't get into the QC issues I've had over a decade of owning AP...
Old 13 July 2018, 11:30 PM   #13
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:

And using London as an example - I can't believe their boutique is that service centre. That definitely costs them less than a prime retail spot in Mayfair, which is more overhead for them.

I'm not up to speed with the latest discussions, which seem to change regularly, but my understanding was that originally the current Moss House wasn't to be the new AP Lounge. However then that seemed to change, and floor 5 of Moss House was going to be totally stripped out, making a visual feature (using glass walls etc) of the service facilities there, with watches being worked on etc.

I have mixed feelings about this, as personally as things stand I don't think the general location and approach is right for a flagship AP lounge, but I'm open to be proved wrong.

As I've stated before, in principle I'm very much in favour of the entire concept of the exclusive restricted lounge. However, if I did it (within reason) I'd make it more accessible to AP clients than it now is - a place customers can pop in without appointment or awkwardness for a coffee and casual chat. Such could only enhance the feeling of being part of the AP brand family, which is a good marketing policy. In contrast Neil's rejection at the door isn't good, unless there were extenuating circumstances, such as no watchsmith on site etc.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:21 AM   #14
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
So, how do these work? I'll be in Hong Kong for a wedding next February or March. I could drop by for a coffee? Could I bring guests, like my wife, her parents, and the bride and groom? Should we dressed better than casual dress? Would they be pushing us to buy watches? Would we need an appointment?

Also, how safe is Hong Kong for wearing nice watches on the streets?
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:27 AM   #15
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Also, how safe is Hong Kong for wearing nice watches on the streets?
Possibly one of the safest places in the world to do so. Sometimes it feels like every other person is wearing a Rolex, and I would spot pieces worth hundreds of thousands of dollars on a regular basis in almost all areas.
Old 14 July 2018, 12:28 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

honestly i think an above street level address on bond,oxford, or regent street would be good. The high rent stuff is ground level and not all the buildings have their retail space all the way to the top floors. Its office space in some of it.

Where it is now it's really hard to find and it's in an alley. During daylight hours its nice but in the winter when its dark at 4pm im not sure i would really want to be going in and out with any regularity.

If that was my AD's address i might be sketched out going as often as i do... so it has nothing to do with AP in particular but i wouldn't like it for anywhere i frequent

BTW did you get in on your london trip? or did the location/appointment dissuade you?
Old 14 July 2018, 12:50 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Around an alley, up two floors. Sound more like a rub and tug than a luxury watch retailer
Old 14 July 2018, 12:52 AM   #18
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BTW did you get in on your london trip? or did the location/appointment dissuade you?
Nope. Having to make an appointment was enough to discourage me, especially when there were so many other good places to check out. Plus, I figured that Geneva would be a better stop for AP anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Around an alley, up two floors. Sound more like a rub and tug than a luxury watch retailer
Old 14 July 2018, 01:00 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Hopefully silly things like this will be ironed out; I hope you shared some feedback!
I think it's a security issue so I don't mind as I knew you had to make an appointment. I just happened to be near so thought I'd chance it, but as I am known to them and this could be easily ascertained, I thought there could be some leeway but maybe they have no discretion here.

I hope they do go for a luxurious sky lounge as their service and attitude are spot on, just need more palatial surroundings as commensurate with their fantastic timepieces, and on a main thoroughfare would be ideal.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 01:05 AM   #20
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Does anyone know if the AP House in New York is open yet?
Old 14 July 2018, 04:09 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
your telling me those require appointments now too
Old 14 July 2018, 02:58 PM   #22
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
your telling me those require appointments now too
You want to give them time to wash their hands, no?

I like this idea. I was having a discussion a few weeks back with a friend about how static watch buying can be. I remember a paper I read in an art history class about what an odd concept museums are. How paintings were never meant to be stacked in rows along cold white walls.

I feel the same when watch shopping. It’s just watch after watch under bright lights in glass cases. It feels very unnatural. Even trying one on in store is lackluster. I prefer being able to live and luxuriate a few moments while wearing a watch. Seeing if there’s a connection; not buying it like a steak.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 12:19 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post

I like this idea. I was having a discussion a few weeks back with a friend about how static watch buying can be. I remember a paper I read in an art history class about what an odd concept museums are. How paintings were never meant to be stacked in rows along cold white walls.

I feel the same when watch shopping. It’s just watch after watch under bright lights in glass cases. It feels very unnatural. Even trying one on in store is lackluster. I prefer being able to live and luxuriate a few moments while wearing a watch. Seeing if there’s a connection; not buying it like a steak.
It’s kind of the vibe at the Journe boutiques. Little coffee table couch bar situation.
Old 15 July 2018, 12:51 AM   #24
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post

Is that what they let you do at the AP House? Try on a watch and sit on a sofa and enjoy a coffee or cocktail?
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 01:55 AM   #25
Ljay
"TRF" Member

I went to the AP house in London which isn't anything like the pictures above for the Hong Kong AP house. It's appointment only. You request which watches you'd like to see but they cannot guarantee the watches will be there for viewing. It feels like a standard nice office space but nothing special.
When I went they opened the box on a 15202, 15400 blue dial, and a panda chrono. The service was top notch and it was a good experience. They could not put me down on a waiting list for the 15400 or 15202 but could only keep me in mind when stock landed. They didn't want any deposit commitments and the whole appointment felt relaxed but quality.
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote