The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2018, 06:52 AM   #1
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex no date sub
Anybody have and wear this often?

So I currently have a no-date ceramic sub I just got and I LOVE it. I noticed that with a suit, it just kinda looks off to me. I know people do, and James Bond probably did and all that but when it's worn with a suit, it kinda gives off that "this is my only watch" look. SO, I kinda now want the DateJust 41, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel, black or blue dial, diamond markers. I know that diamond markers part is kinda polarizing to people. Anybody have that exact config that they have pics of under a shirt/suit cuff?
StrongDGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 06:56 AM   #2
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Oh and does this exact configuration have a nickname (BLNR, Hulk, Pepsi, etc) or something?
Old 19 July 2018, 07:07 AM   #3
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
If it it's good enough for James Bond it's good enough for me. I have a SubC I would wear it with a suit, with jeans, hey even with a swim suit!
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:07 AM   #4
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongDGame View Post
So I currently have a no-date ceramic sub I just got and I LOVE it. I noticed that with a suit, it just kinda looks off to me. I know people do, and James Bond probably did and all that but when it's worn with a suit, it kinda gives off that "this is my only watch" look. SO, I kinda now want the DateJust 41, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel, black or blue dial, diamond markers. I know that diamond markers part is kinda polarizing to people. Anybody have that exact config that they have pics of under a shirt/suit cuff?
Congrats on the Sub, it's a great watch. Give it time, you are just getting used to the new look. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to get a DJ....in that case, you will find plenty of enablers here!

Quote:
Oh and does this exact configuration have a nickname (BLNR, Hulk, Pepsi, etc) or something?
No, thankfully! I have never been a fan of nicknames!

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:14 AM   #5
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

You guys may be right about the sub and the suit, I think I am just getting used to it. I've owned an old Panerai and really old Breitling Bentley and those are both gigantic monster watches but didn't have to wear a suit as often till now.

I think I just want the DateJust and need an excuse.......... :) :)
Old 19 July 2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Easy E

Quote:

I think I just want the DateJust and need an excuse.......... :) :)
You’re right, sub with a suit is a terrible idea. You are not allowed back on this forum until you have a blue DJ41. ;)

Did that help?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:28 AM   #7
Valkyrie
"TRF" Member

I have a SubC and wear it with a suit, jeans or anything else. I have other choices but the SubC is usually what is on my wrist. If it screams "this is my only watch" I couldn't care less. I wear the watch that gives me pleasure and give no thought at all as to what anyone else might think. If you want a DJ41 go for it but don't get hung up on what others might think about your watch - most folks don't care and trying to impress the few that do is a losing proposition.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:30 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Loving the Sub

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:34 AM   #9
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!

Not a sub but works great with a suit. A sub will also. I think the old rules of sports watches with suits is gone. Your sub looks great with a suit especially compared to those who chose to wear a gshock or smart watch in a suit.

Enjoy the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:53 AM   #10
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
Love the reflections on the polished links.

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:54 AM   #11
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

It looks so much better one anyone else but me LOL

Old 19 July 2018, 07:57 AM   #12
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It will always be subjective. Many believe it looks great and could never be convinced otherwise and that's fine.

Personally, my view is that even though it's a luxury brand it's still a dive watch and I find the look completely incongruous. I honestly think it "goes" with a suit about as much as a baseball cap does...but people try to pull that look off too.

I'm not even saying it's a bad choice but surely a Datejust or something without a giant bezel would be the better choice. You lost me to the other side of the road when you added diamonds though.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:09 AM   #13
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
It will always be subjective. Many believe it looks great and could never be convinced otherwise and that's fine.

Personally, my view is that even though it's a luxury brand it's still a dive watch and I find the look completely incongruous. I honestly think it "goes" with a suit about as much as a baseball cap does...but people try to pull that look off too.

I'm not even saying it's a bad choice but surely a Datejust or something without a giant bezel would be the better choice. You lost me to the other side of the road when you added diamonds though.

Haha I lose most people at the diamonds! when I mention my preferred configuration of the DateJust 41, I mention the diamonds part last and its funny how quickly the smile goes to disbelief as soon as “diamond” is mentioned!

Old 19 July 2018, 08:14 AM   #14
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your new Sub! I'm with you, I tried wearing the sub with a suit and while it can certain pass, the DJ just does it better. Can I wear my DJ casually with t shirt and jeans? Sure, but I can't argue that the Sub would be better suited for that. Sub and DJ make the perfect combination and covers you for pretty much every scenario.

While I don't have a DJ41, here's a shot of my DJ36 with a suit. Could a Sub have worked? Perhaps, but IMO DJ and suit goes together like PB & J.

Old 19 July 2018, 08:15 AM   #15
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I wear Subs with a suit. Have for 30 years. I have tried the traditional 2 handed dress watches on a strap, and while I love the look of some dress watches I just do not wear them enough to justify having one. Plus I just dig Subs.

Some will argue that a DJ or even a Day Date is not a traditional dress watch. I would probably agree in the traditional sense. If I ever go dress watch again it will be a PP or ALS.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:15 AM   #16
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
Congrats on your new Sub! I'm with you, I tried wearing the sub with a suit and while it can certain pass, the DJ just does it better. Can I wear my DJ casually with t shirt and jeans? Sure, but I can't argue that the Sub would be better suited for that. Sub and DJ make the perfect combination and covers you for pretty much every scenario.

While I don't have a DJ41, here's a shot of my DJ36 with a suit. Could a Sub have worked? Perhaps, but IMO DJ and suit goes together like PB & J.

That looks absolutely beautiful man! That’s my thinking too! The sub and DJ combo cover all bases for me too.

Old 19 July 2018, 08:17 AM   #17
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I wear Subs with a suit. Have for 30 years. I have tried the traditional 2 handed dress watches on a strap, and while I love the look of some dress watches I just do not wear them enough to justify having one. Plus I just dig Subs.

Some will argue that a DJ or even a Day Date is not a traditional dress watch. I would probably agree in the traditional sense. If I ever go dress watch again it will be a PP or ALS.

That is true too. Technically, a dress watch shouldn’t be on a bracelet, right?

Old 19 July 2018, 08:19 AM   #18
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post

Not a sub but works great with a suit. A sub will also. I think the old rules of sports watches with suits is gone. Your sub looks great with a suit especially compared to those who chose to wear a gshock or smart watch in a suit.

Enjoy the sub.

I know exactly what the PO is talking about. The bracelet on a Sub was too bland compared to the GMTc. Main reason I went with the GMTc. The PCL’s make it look nice
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:23 AM   #19
Ped22
"TRF" Member

I’ve got a BLNR and DJ41 with blue dial and jubilee and I would choose the DJ over the BLNR when wearing a suit.

For that reason I started to appreciate my DJ a lot more after I got hold of the BLNR.

You won’t regret buying a DJ

Ped22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:25 AM   #20
toneafficianado

I have an older sub, 14060M, and a DJ41.
The case size of those is very similar. Sub C ...I used to have one, stands a bit taller off the wrist and is a bulkier case.
It would not fit as well with really tight cuffs but it sure looks great in any environment.
You will love the DJ, and the choice of what to wear.
You have no lume on the diamond markers though. Be aware of that. the lume on the DJ41 stick markers is really good and it would be a deal breaker for me if it didn't have any.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:28 AM   #21
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
That is true too. Technically, a dress watch shouldn’t be on a bracelet, right?

Yes, old school traditionalist would say that. Generally a two hand watch on leather or exotic band. I would really only care about that if going to a super formal black tie event or similar which I do not attend often enough.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:31 AM   #22
THC

Watch: 16610M
DJ41 is a must have imo... TT or SS
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:36 AM   #23
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
I totally understand you @ OP
The Sub is a sport watch and I rather like to wear a Sub with polo and jeans and a DJ (with fluted bezel and jubilee) with a suit.

In order to diverse even more I'm on the list for a SD43 and a Sky D black ;-)

Just ask us if you want more reasons to buy a DJ... we are always here for you lol
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:42 AM   #24
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I"m not sure a DJ goes any better with a suit than a Sub or a GMT. My 2 cents. However, I'm ok with all the above.

If you really want a true dress watch, then get something with a leather strap. (e.g., JLC Reverso).

Nowadays, I see people wearing suits with Apple Watches on gray or blue rubber bands.

Now that's something that should be debated...A leather band would be fine...
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:43 AM   #25
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYourTime View Post
I totally understand you @ OP
The Sub is a sport watch and I rather like to wear a Sub with polo and jeans and a DJ (with fluted bezel and jubilee) with a suit.

In order to diverse even more I'm on the list for a SD43 and a Sky D black ;-)

Just ask us if you want more reasons to buy a DJ... we are always here for you lol

Lloooll! Couldn’t ask for a better group of friends! Man those are two amazing watches to be on the list for. Those two would be my first choice but with insane wait times and inflated second hand markets I went with the no date sub and dj41 as nice alternative.

Old 19 July 2018, 08:47 AM   #26
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Ahhh...I see what you mean, so what you're thinking of is a Rolex Daytona.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RolexDaytona_TorontoHunt.jpg (147.4 KB, 1595 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:47 AM   #27
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
It's a watch for every occasion. Frankly, a $7.5k Submariner is enough watch for anyone but people here have the luxury of owning multiple pieces.

You want an excuse to buy another watch. Get the dress piece until you need another excuse to buy another watch. lol
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:48 AM   #28
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Oh...I see what you mean, so what you're thinking of is a Rolex Daytona.....

That watch is literally the closest one that can do both pretty well. Especially the non ceramic bezel (that’s why I like the non ceramic ones better)

Old 19 July 2018, 08:55 AM   #29
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
The Sub no date is a true Classic. When I bought my 5513 it went perfect with my ARMY Uniform. Five years later it went perfect with my Chinese Taylor Custom made Suit I brought home from Singapore, when I got Married. The Sub has a perfect balance with no cyclops. Just love the basics. Still Love it, still have it. Congrats !
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:55 AM   #30
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I would agree that the Sub doesn’t go perfectly with a suit though plenty of people pull it off. If you have the funds ready to go the DJ41 is an amazing watch, and another true Rolex icon. An excellent addition to the collection, I’d make sure you get it on the jubilee bracelet for the iconic look and to have more diversity between the 2 watches. Diamonds I think can be Ok, but you can grow tired of them.

My favourite duo right now is my black SubC and Gold Day-Date, which is a similar idea to yours. Amazing watches.

justdate is offline   Reply With Quote