The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2019, 04:42 AM   #31
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member

How hard will these be to get? I put down a deposit as well.
Old 22 February 2019, 10:44 AM   #32
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hammer View Post
How hard will these be to get? I put down a deposit as well.
Ad long as you reserve not hard
Old 22 February 2019, 01:09 PM   #33
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member

Ok, thanks.
Old 22 February 2019, 02:15 PM   #34
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
My guess is less than 2000 will be made and the turtle is one of the most popular diver Seiko makes... it might be a real tough one to get honestly. Even with a saved deposit.
Old 22 February 2019, 07:07 PM   #35
Lol-x
Facilitator

I'm not always that confident about rumours or 'leaks' but I will be very interested to see what is released, if it is a 6105 re-edition it should be awesome.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 28 February 2019, 03:36 PM   #36
Lol-x
Facilitator

Seiko will not accept any wait listings from customers for this watch as yet as it is not "official".
So that means waiting for the announcement.

But my local Seiko store said that 2 people had already called to go on the waitlist (which does not yet exist)

Its not real until it is official....

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 28 February 2019, 09:55 PM   #37
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Seiko will not accept any wait listings from customers for this watch as yet as it is not "official"...
lol, I tried that too

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Old 13 March 2019, 12:22 PM   #38
Lol-x
Facilitator

What will be the date this is likely to be officially announced?

Old 13 March 2019, 12:46 PM   #39
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Baselworld 20th to 25th March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
What will be the date this is likely to be officially announced?
Next week!
Old 13 March 2019, 09:16 PM   #40
Lol-x
Facilitator

OK so that is Wednesday next week, thank you...

Old 13 March 2019, 09:57 PM   #41
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Looks like they are using that same locking crown design. That sucks. I am sure the price is going to be just like the SLA, which was out of my price range.
With 200 meters water resistance, I'm pretty sure they're using the current screw down crown technology. And just made the crown to look cosmetically like the original. I doubt they would use the old, failed twist-lock with the fragile pin holding it.
Old 13 March 2019, 10:06 PM   #42
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
My guess is less than 2000 will be made and the turtle is one of the most popular diver Seiko makes... it might be a real tough one to get honestly. Even with a saved deposit.
From what I've been able to gather from the obvious rampant rumors, Seiko will be issuing 2 different versions.

One limited edition, very true to the original like they did with the "62MAS" and original "Marinemaster". And then a more mainstream "similar, but not exact" version.

That's why there are 2 different model numbers. One for the expensive, limited issue, and another for the regular production, less expensive model.

"Marinemaster" version here.

81zF-lx7K5L._UY445_.jpg
Old 13 March 2019, 10:22 PM   #43
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwb65 View Post
from what i've been able to gather from the obvious rampant rumors, seiko will be issuing 2 different versions.

One limited edition, very true to the original like they did with the "62mas" and original "marinemaster". And then a more mainstream "similar, but not exact" version.

That's why there are 2 different model numbers. One for the expensive, limited issue, and another for the regular production, less expensive model.
"62MAS" version here. Sorry, forum's weird interface for images wouldn't let me put both in one post.
71NRUix34oL._UX522_.jpg
Old 14 March 2019, 04:30 AM   #44
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwb65 View Post
With 200 meters water resistance, I'm pretty sure they're using the current screw down crown technology. And just made the crown to look cosmetically like the original. I doubt they would use the old, failed twist-lock with the fragile pin holding it.
That would be the best solution.
Old 14 March 2019, 04:52 AM   #45
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
That would be the best solution.
Jeez, let's hope so... Then again, knowing the issue now, I'm sure even if they used a push-pull crown with pin lock, I have to hope that Seiko would design th crown so the seal can actually be replaced...
Old 14 March 2019, 08:26 AM   #46
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Jeez, let's hope so... Then again, knowing the issue now, I'm sure even if they used a push-pull crown with pin lock, I have to hope that Seiko would design th crown so the seal can actually be replaced...
The seal can be replaced on the old ones. It just isn't to easy to do.
Old 15 March 2019, 01:20 AM   #47
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
The seal can be replaced on the old ones. It just isn't to easy to do.

Yeah, I know, but the original intent was for total replacement of the crown at service, which many were never sent in for, because the watches ran for decades without needing it. And I have to wonder how many crowns were destroyed trying to figure out removing the washer and replacing a bad gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 March 2019, 02:22 AM   #48
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Yeah, I know, but the original intent was for total replacement of the crown at service, which many were never sent in for, because the watches ran for decades without needing it. And I have to wonder how many crowns were destroyed trying to figure out removing the washer and replacing a bad gasket.

Maybe quite a few have been destroyed. That is why people like IWW and Dr. Seiko use to mod the 6105 with a triple lock design crown/tube to save the damaged 6105's.
Old 15 March 2019, 03:17 AM   #49
ashbaug2
Banned

I’ve read about those, never seen one. Definitely would fix the crown problem now, but so many good watches were ruined from that faulty design simply because their movements were awesome and didn’t need service. Makes mine even more special, I guess.

I’m really hoping I can get the SLA033 from my AD, I think it will be a cool addition, and I could wear it regularly without worry.

Old 16 March 2019, 10:07 PM   #50
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Old 16 March 2019, 10:10 PM   #51
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Old 16 March 2019, 11:03 PM   #52
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

"SEIKO PROSPEX
The 1970 Automatic Diver’s
Re-creation
Limited Edition

Introduced in 1965, Seiko’s innovative diver’s watch has been chosen by divers and adventurers globally.
Seiko’s diving watch has become a global standard as a result over 50 years of innovation.
The 1970 launch model, which boasts strong popularity in its history, will be reinstated.
It is resurrected by modern state-of-the-art technology and design interpretation.

A unique profile and a proud history
The uniqueness of the design of the 1970 stemmed largely from the way that the crown, moved to the 4 o’clock position, was protected by the extension of the case around it. The design turned out to be as memorable as it was functional and this 150 meter water resistant diver’s watch rapidly found favor among those who needed a watch of exceptional strength. It was worn by the Japanese adventurer, Naomi Uemura, when he did a solo dog-sled run from Greenland to Alaska, a journey of 12,000 kilometers that took eighteen months.

Naomi Uemura - adventurer
Born in 1941 in Toyooka City, Hyogo Prefecture. After entering Meiji University in 1960, he joined the alpine club and began his career as an adventurer. In 1970, he climbed Everest for the first time as a Japanese citizen and became the world‘s first top mountain climber in the five continents by climbing McKinley in same year. From 1974 to 1976, he ran 12,000 kilometers of the Arctic region with dog-sledge alone. In 1978, he reached the Arctic Point with dog-only dogs, and ran through the 3,000 kilometers of Greenland and the front line of the world’s adventurers. However, after he achieved the world‘s first great achievement with the winter championship of McKinley alone, which was challenged in 1984, he finally ceased to communicate the success of climbing the summit. In the same year, Japan was awarded the Fourth National Honor Prize, and the fact that only one person in a harsh natural environment continued to challenge human potential and the warm and humane personality still attracts many people. Image caption: The watch used by Naomi Uemura on his 18 month Arctic journey.

DESIGN

Reviving the unique design completely up-to-date in its technology
The new Prospex re-creation of this 1970 diver’s watch is slightly larger than the original but faithful in every other respect to its design.
The case was given a wide, flowing design purely to protect the crown at the 4 o’clock position.

Specifications suitable to the present day
It incorporates caliber 8L35 which was specially designed for use in diver’s watches. The case has a super-hard coating and a dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating and is 200 meter water resistant. The upper surface of the bezel rim is Zaratsu polished to a perfect mirror finish.

Horseshoe shaped marking on the caseback
The case back has been given the same horseshoe shaped marking as the unique model, there is a unique charm of the reprint model.
*In an actual product, the case back direction might be different from the photograph.

SPEC COMPARE

1970 2019
150m Diver’s watch The 1970 Diver’s Re-creation Limited Edition
6105B 8L35
Dual curved hardlex Dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
Stainless steel Stainless steel case with super-hard coating
Soft PVC High strength silicone strap
150m diver’s 200m diver’s

SEIKO PROSPEX
The 1970 Diver’s Re-creation
Limited Edition

SLA033J1
Caliber 8L35
Limited edition of 2,500"
Old 17 March 2019, 12:49 AM   #53
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehartmann View Post
"SEIKO PROSPEX
The 1970 Automatic Diver’s
Re-creation
Limited Edition

Introduced in 1965, Seiko’s innovative diver’s watch has been chosen by divers and adventurers globally.
Seiko’s diving watch has become a global standard as a result over 50 years of innovation.
The 1970 launch model, which boasts strong popularity in its history, will be reinstated.
It is resurrected by modern state-of-the-art technology and design interpretation.

A unique profile and a proud history
The uniqueness of the design of the 1970 stemmed largely from the way that the crown, moved to the 4 o’clock position, was protected by the extension of the case around it. The design turned out to be as memorable as it was functional and this 150 meter water resistant diver’s watch rapidly found favor among those who needed a watch of exceptional strength. It was worn by the Japanese adventurer, Naomi Uemura, when he did a solo dog-sled run from Greenland to Alaska, a journey of 12,000 kilometers that took eighteen months.

Naomi Uemura - adventurer
Born in 1941 in Toyooka City, Hyogo Prefecture. After entering Meiji University in 1960, he joined the alpine club and began his career as an adventurer. In 1970, he climbed Everest for the first time as a Japanese citizen and became the world‘s first top mountain climber in the five continents by climbing McKinley in same year. From 1974 to 1976, he ran 12,000 kilometers of the Arctic region with dog-sledge alone. In 1978, he reached the Arctic Point with dog-only dogs, and ran through the 3,000 kilometers of Greenland and the front line of the world’s adventurers. However, after he achieved the world‘s first great achievement with the winter championship of McKinley alone, which was challenged in 1984, he finally ceased to communicate the success of climbing the summit. In the same year, Japan was awarded the Fourth National Honor Prize, and the fact that only one person in a harsh natural environment continued to challenge human potential and the warm and humane personality still attracts many people. Image caption: The watch used by Naomi Uemura on his 18 month Arctic journey.

DESIGN

Reviving the unique design completely up-to-date in its technology
The new Prospex re-creation of this 1970 diver’s watch is slightly larger than the original but faithful in every other respect to its design.
The case was given a wide, flowing design purely to protect the crown at the 4 o’clock position.

Specifications suitable to the present day
It incorporates caliber 8L35 which was specially designed for use in diver’s watches. The case has a super-hard coating and a dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating and is 200 meter water resistant. The upper surface of the bezel rim is Zaratsu polished to a perfect mirror finish.

Horseshoe shaped marking on the caseback
The case back has been given the same horseshoe shaped marking as the unique model, there is a unique charm of the reprint model.
*In an actual product, the case back direction might be different from the photograph.

SPEC COMPARE

1970 2019
150m Diver’s watch The 1970 Diver’s Re-creation Limited Edition
6105B 8L35
Dual curved hardlex Dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
Stainless steel Stainless steel case with super-hard coating
Soft PVC High strength silicone strap
150m diver’s 200m diver’s

SEIKO PROSPEX
The 1970 Diver’s Re-creation
Limited Edition

SLA033J1
Caliber 8L35
Limited edition of 2,500"
Very cool. So I googled 450000 yen and this looks to be about 4K usd. I’ll for sure be buying one now. Only 4-500 more than the SLA017. Seems fair.
Old 18 March 2019, 08:46 AM   #54
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I wonder if this is 19mm lug?

Also screw down crown?

With those crown guards, a screw down crown will be very fiddly..especially given Seiko inconsistent crown quality...that is a big concern for me.
Old 19 March 2019, 02:31 PM   #55
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I love Seiko but for $4000 you'll get a basic 200-meter diver with silicon strap, aluminium bezel, no-thrill dress-down movement, I think I'll keep parking that $4k toward a Rolex SS BLRO or a 2nd hand hi-beat GS.

Nice watch but Seiko is pushing it toward GS pricing, worth it or not it's your call.
Old 20 March 2019, 12:38 AM   #56
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
I love Seiko but for $4000 you'll get a basic 200-meter diver with silicon strap, aluminium bezel, no-thrill dress-down movement, I think I'll keep parking that $4k toward a Rolex SS BLRO or a 2nd hand hi-beat GS.

Nice watch but Seiko is pushing it toward GS pricing, worth it or not it's your call.

^ This is where I am at

Bought this for 4500 brand spanking new..

Old 20 March 2019, 11:39 AM   #57
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
^ This is where I am at

Bought this for 4500 brand spanking new..

Beautiful! I'd do the same
Closed Thread