The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 March 2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Jakku
"TRF" Member

1940s Rolex 12325 - Dennison Caseback

Hi All,

Wanted to make my first "big" (for me) watch purchase and ended up scoring this great little piece for a decent price.

It's a non runner but movement looks clean and it looks all in tact, minus the odd bit of wear and tear from age. It has a Dennison caseback which apparently was common at the time due to taxes on metal, so cases in the country of market were used instead.

Caseback reads 12325 1063. Small (as you'd expect) at 32mm with the crown - surprisingly wearable and not too out of place on my skinny wrists. More comfortable around the 35-36mm mark but it'll do!

Will be taking it in for a check-up and quote for a service soon.

If anyone has any info I'd love to know more; if it looks original, exact model, what the 1063 can tell me, what to do about the damaged lume (leave it?) etc

As i'm a new user I can't post pics till I've made 10 posts so I'll post them below when that time comes - don't really want to post things for the sake of it!
Jakku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Old 15 March 2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Nick9
"TRF" Member

If I were in your shoes, I would get the movement serviced by a good watchmaker who has some donor parts (if needed) from another cal 59. I'd be tempted to get a light polish of the back of the caseback.

It appears that the dial or the hands or both have been relumed at some point. I suspect that new lume on either or both would look a mismatch with the dial showing so much age. Personally I would leave it alone.

New strap and off you go. Good conversation piece. No doubt someone will chime in about Dennison cases, and perhaps Dennison himself.

Good luck.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 01:35 PM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No way on the strap, the patina is amazing! Just new spring bars
Old 15 March 2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would get the movement serviced by a good watchmaker who has some donor parts (if needed) from another cal 59. I'd be tempted to get a light polish of the back of the caseback.

It appears that the dial or the hands or both have been relumed at some point. I suspect that new lume on either or both would look a mismatch with the dial showing so much age. Personally I would leave it alone.

New strap and off you go. Good conversation piece. No doubt someone will chime in about Dennison cases, and perhaps Dennison himself.

Good luck.

Hoping to take it into a Jewellers near me who send their watches to a Rolex-trained 3rd generation watchmaker for repairs so we shall see, rough quote sounded surprisingly affordable for a service but it was excluding parts so that'll probably be where it adds up.

Yeah thought the hands might be best left alone - I shame as that damaged one does ruin it for me but originality over aesthetics (to an extent )

Is polishing the caseback okay in the vintage watch world? If so I'm happy to get it done but seems most people don't approve of polishing cases but perhaps casebacks is a diffeent story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
No way on the strap, the patina is amazing! Just new spring bars
I agree, the patina looks stunning! However, probably would put it on a new strap for wearing as the current one looks quite frail and I'd be scared to ruin it. It's either too loose or or too tight for me anyway. Old strap will stay with the watch (if it were sold or such) though don't worry :) Can't wait to get the old spring bars off, never seem some so green without the rest of the watch being green haha

Old 16 March 2019, 01:12 AM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
So much character. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 01:20 AM   #7
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Great watch!
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 02:17 AM   #8
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
So much character. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
Great watch!
Thanks guys :) I'm very pleased as well, cost me under £300 so can't complain!

What do we think of this glass? I'm assuming it's not original as it sticks out so much, so may replace it for a more suited one, perhaps pop it in the box as a piece of its history? Will see what the watchmaker says next week!

Old 16 March 2019, 07:11 AM   #9
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Indeed a lot of character; good find!

Polishing the back a bit (leave some wear, IMHO) is up to you. I'd be tempted, but likely never get around to it.

Try some Polywatch on the crystal before you give up on it. If there are deep scratches, replace it.

You shouldn't have to pay much for parts. Cal 59 movements are very common; they were used for a long time and most watchmakers will have a few lying around.

Good luck!
Old 22 March 2019, 03:52 AM   #10
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Okay have had word back from the watchmaker.

He's going to service it which includes new mainspring, replace missing bolt holding the movement and a quick clean of the case (no polishing) to keep its condition.

He's also said it's not the original glass so is going to fit a more suited one with a lower dome. May ask to keep the old one just to keep it all together.

I am also likely going to get the hands sympathetically relumed (so rather than bright green they should be slightly discoloured to suit the vintage look) but wanted to hear peoples thoughts before I say yes. The alternative is remove the lume in both hands but I think they're a tad thin for that to work aesthetically. If I leave the lume on apparently it's likely they will crumble at some point and the small pieces may effect the dial and movement.
Old 22 March 2019, 04:10 AM   #11
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Good catch and good plan. I have no experience at all with reluming, why don't you try it with the lume removed and see if you like it? Easy enough to opt for that afterwards if you want
Old 22 March 2019, 06:27 AM   #12
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
Good catch and good plan. I have no experience at all with reluming, why don't you try it with the lume removed and see if you like it? Easy enough to opt for that afterwards if you want
That's a good point, although my only concern is with my own patience - would be a good few weeks on top so better to get it all done at once really.

I think I prefer the look of the hands with lume as the hands look a little thin without it and so would be trickier to read at a glance. Thinking I may go that route and just enjoy it how I want rather than worry about how it will effect the value.

Interested to know how its done though and if its reversible, should I or a future buyer want it removed :)
Old 12 April 2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Jakku
"TRF" Member

The wait is finally over and the watch is back. Relume is a tad brighter than expected but apparently will fade to a more natural colour. Dial and case lightly cleaned which has brought up the 'Rolex' text a treat.

Runs great and keeps good time now! Any ideas what these etchings on the side of the case mean if anything?

Old 12 April 2019, 11:02 PM   #14
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Those side etchings could be just about anything. Looks good OP!
Old 13 April 2019, 12:09 AM   #15
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Those side etchings could be just about anything. Looks good OP!
Aah didn't know if they might be a thing of the time, like soldiers etching in specific details or such. At least they're tiny, the magnified photo does make it look awful haha.

Thanks
Old 20 April 2019, 08:16 AM   #16
Jakku
"TRF" Member

On its new handmade leather strap:

Old 20 April 2019, 09:30 PM   #17
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
On its new handmade leather strap:

Is it just me, or does the dial look misaligned in the case?

Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 08:44 AM   #18
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Is it just me, or does the dial look misaligned in the case?
Yes, now you mention it, it does appear to be slightly off! Thought it might just have been the angle of the photo.

Taking it back soon to get the hour hand lume fixed as it has already cracked so I will tell them about that also. Thanks for spotting it!
Old 1 May 2019, 09:14 AM   #19
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Yes, now you mention it, it does appear to be slightly off! Thought it might just have been the angle of the photo.

Taking it back soon to get the hour hand lume fixed as it has already cracked so I will tell them about that also. Thanks for spotting it!
Maybe they can tint the lume to look a bit more vintage?
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 10:08 AM   #20
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Looks great. Hope you get it back again soon. Wouldn't hurt to add a little coffee to the next lum application to age the lume 40 years.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote