The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 12 March 2009, 08:58 PM   #1
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLUE ARAB DAYTONA
rolex & watch winder

i have been thinking of getting a winder but am worried it may damage my watch
i read a bit of info (from a winder salesperson) that if you dont get the proper winds per day you can either underwind making the winder useless or overwind putting undue stress on your watch
it said something along the lines of "find out how many winds a day and buy a winder that does that ie: 750 850 950 etc
im thinking of buying a couple of tool watches seiko or casio automatics

so
how many winds a day does a sub date need to keep it going without over doing it?
or is this just a sales strategy?
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2009, 09:07 PM   #2
louie
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Beast
i have been thinkin abt it too...is it advisable to put our automatic Rolexes on winder?
Old 13 March 2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The winder Salesperson you talked to was giving absolutely wrong information..

You cannot over-wind a Rolex on a winder (or any other self-wind watch for that matter). Once the watch is wound, the mainspring slips in it's housing just like it would if worn on your wrist..

You can "under-wind", but this only means that the watch will not have a full power reserve when you put it on. Since winders are on timers generally, it might also mean that it may not have enough power reserve to last it through the time the winder is turned of....say a few hours..

For a Rolex with about a 50 hour power reserve, most winders will work fine with about 650 rotations per day. For the Daytona etc, with a 72 hr power reserve, you might need 900 rotations........but it will still stay wound at 650..

Rolex watches wind in either direction with the exception of the Zenith which winds CW.
Old 13 March 2009, 05:27 AM   #4
louie
"TRF" Member

Icon10

okay,so Larry you got a winder at your place....
Old 13 March 2009, 05:35 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
okay,so Larry you got a winder at your place....

I don't use a winder for any of my watches...and I have quite a few.. I have a couple of older non-quickset models that take a few minutes to set, but generally, I don't mind the half minute it takes each time I change..

There is also no sound technical basis for keeping a watch running all the time.. but some are more comfortable with that than others..
Old 13 March 2009, 05:40 AM   #6
louie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I don't use a winder for any of my watches...and I have quite a few.. I have a couple of older non-quickset models that take a few minutes to set, but generally, I don't mind the half minute it takes each time I change..

There is also no sound technical basis for keeping a watch running all the time.. but some are more comfortable with that than others..
thanks Larry for the quick answer! so now i can TOTALLY forget the idea of getting one...(been thinkin quite a while now) i will just take them out and wind them one by one once in a while.
Old 13 March 2009, 09:39 AM   #7
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLUE ARAB DAYTONA
hanks larry
pointless getting one i think as like you say its a minute to chage the time/date etc
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote