The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 13 March 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
GinGinD

Calibre 1400

I just purchased a ladies handwind vintage with a calibre 1400. I know Al's wife Nancy also has a 1400. Maybe he, or someone else can tell me how often it should be serviced. 5 years just like my contemporary DJ? Also, can anyone shed any more light on this movement for me? BPH, etc? I'm sadly uninformed and having trouble finding more info.

I believe it's a 17 jewel. Or maybe 18. And I also understand it's the smallest movement Rolex ever made.

Thanks in advance!

Jeannie
GinGinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
I just purchased a ladies handwind vintage with a calibre 1400. I know Al's wife Nancy also has a 1400. Maybe he, or someone else can tell me how often it should be serviced. 5 years just like my contemporary DJ? Also, can anyone shed any more light on this movement for me? BPH, etc? I'm sadly uninformed and having trouble finding more info.

I believe it's a 17 jewel. Or maybe 18. And I also understand it's the smallest movement Rolex ever made.

Thanks in advance!

Jeannie
Hi Jeannie, the beat rate of the 1400 movement is 21,600 BPH, a bit slower than the 28,800 BPH of your DateJust.

Early versions had 17 jewels, later increased to 18 jewels. I've seen them marked 17 rubis, 18 rubis, and 18 Eighteen jewels. Nancy's 1960 example has a 17 jewel movement. Aside from being the smallest movement Rolex has ever produced at 13.75 mm in diameter, Its also one of the few Rolex movements to use Incablock shock protection.

I'd think that with the slower beat rate, this watch would probably go 6 or 7 years between services. Nancy only wears hers every couple of weeks, so I think hers will easily go 7 years, especially with the quality of lubricants used nowadays. Btw, hers was overhauled at the Toronto RSC a year or so ago, and its nice to know that Rolex still has all the parts available to re-do the movement. Not bad for an almost 50 year old watch.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 02:53 AM   #3
GinGinD

Thanks so much, Al. As always, I am gratified by the helpfulness of people on this forum.

I did realize you had the movement serviced in the last year or so because I saw your mention of it on another thread. Actually, realizing I could still get service/parts helped me make the decision to go ahead and buy this little beauty.

So you have to take some of the blame!

I'll post pic eventually.

Jeannie
Old 16 March 2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
Actually, realizing I could still get service/parts helped me make the decision to go ahead and buy this little beauty.

So you have to take some of the blame!

Yup, Enablers 'R Us.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
GinGinD

Update: Wore the watch today for the first time. Keeps excellent time. 45+ and still going strong. Reminds me of me!

Anyway, it did run down by 5:00 (which I sometimes do as well). That was bit more quickly than I expected. I'll have to remember to wind it more often. To be fair, I'm not sure I wound it this AM, it may have been yesterday evening.

Bit too used to my auto I think.

Jeannie