The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 July 2021, 10:03 PM   #1
woodedareas
"TRF" Member

Insurance

How do you insure your watches and other valuable jewelry? A policy that covers each item requires an apprisal and is very expensive. Only one watch valued at 10,000 is about $100/year and that is fine but numerous items become rather expensive.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 10:20 PM   #2
krzspeedstr
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I have all of my watches insured through a separate rider on my homeowners insurance policy with Safeco. I was not required to get an appraisal as I have the original receipts. But you are correct the cost is not cheap as I pay $450 for about 5 watches plus some other jewelry.
Old 12 July 2021, 10:31 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve done the rider and now do a personal articles policy covering anything that would have a limitation in a homeowners policy.

Your cost will vary based on risk-adjusted basis affected by several underwriting factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 10:35 PM   #4
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Insurance

I use separate insurance for my watches. Previously was insured through Jewelers mutual, I ended up moving over to Chubbs via Hodinkee because their insurance process is way easier to manage and coverage and rate is pretty competitive(it was cheaper for me than Jewelers mutual but YMMV). Also Btw an appraisal is not needed for coverage thru Hodinkee.

https://insurance.hodinkee.com/

https://www.jewelersmutual.com/jewel...nsurance-quote

Expect to pay 1-2% of the insured value regardless of the insurer.

It will be up to you if the peace of mind and convenience of having insurance is worth it (for example - Keeping your watches at home rather than at the bank)

For some other insights - search the forum for related threads. This topic has been discussed many times before

Best of luck
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 10:36 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
How do you insure your watches and other valuable jewelry? A policy that covers each item requires an apprisal and is very expensive. Only one watch valued at 10,000 is about $100/year and that is fine but numerous items become rather expensive.
It costs money to pass the risk to someone else.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 10:50 PM   #6
ronsetoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On watches that are worth more than I paid for them I always have appraised, which is most of the time.
My jeweler charges me $50 for an appraisal.
I just purchased a 124060 from my AD and I would be really stupid to insure it for $8100, so I had it appraised at market value, because I will never get another at retail.
I also insure most everything including my better half gems. A few years back she lost 1 earring and they sent a 10k check and we sent the remaining earring back to them.
In the grand scheme of things it's really not that expensive and worth it. We also have a separate policy just for such items including art
good luck
ronsetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 11:12 PM   #7
CAWatchLove
Banned

Try State Farm and ask for a personal articles policy. I shopped it and they were the best rate
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 11:26 PM   #8
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
For those of you that have insurance on your watches: please discuss some of the conditions or stipulations you have to follow in order for the policy to be valid. I bet there are many conditions listed in the fine print of the policy.

I heard you have to have them locked in a safe or the policy doesn't cover theft.

What instances of loss are and are not covered?
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 11:29 PM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I have a rider on my HO policy. Cost is 1% insured value per year. Was not required to get appraisals. Keep good records and photos. This is key

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 11:37 PM   #10
sambb
"TRF" Member

does anyone have hodkinee insurance? Also be aware that a claim through homeowners can result in being dropped next year (as some have found out.) Safety deposit works best for me as one of the more safer routes.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 12:02 AM   #11
tjantheman
"TRF" Member

How many people here roll the dice and “self-insure”? I do. I figure the odds are slim that I would ever need to file a claim. Obviously it’s not the same as not having health insurance or car insurance. Not insuring my watch won’t bankrupt me. Worst case, I just won’t replace them.
tjantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:28 AM   #12
Equity
"TRF" Member

We use JM because of the comprehensive travel coverage. YMMV but there’s more to pricing your policy than value of the items.
Credit, zip code, previous claims for ANY non health policy, security alarm, use of a safe, the list goes on and on.
We’re just under $280 a year for ~$60k in watches and jewelry with no deductible.

My watch is $91 of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 02:01 PM   #13
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
does anyone have hodkinee insurance? Also be aware that a claim through homeowners can result in being dropped next year (as some have found out.) Safety deposit works best for me as one of the more safer routes.

Yes I moved my insurance for watches from Jewelers mutual to hodinkee. Reason for changing was:

1. The premium was actually lower with hodinkee
2. Hodinkee insurance is actually underwritten/provided through Chubbs which is very highly regarded. My understanding is that a lot of watch dealers actually insure their business inventory with Chubbs and that they have excellent customer service
3. Ease of transacting. You can add and remove watches seamlessly in the app, no appraisal necessarily. Watches individually are insured up to 150% of the insured value to account for fluctuating market pricing up to the total insured amount of your policy

Obviously the hope is to never have to use the insurance but I find it worth it to have the peace of mind. This so true for any kind of insurance
Old 13 July 2021, 02:59 PM   #14
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The throne
Put everything on a Hodinkee policy. My home insurance is with Chubb and it was more expensive to do a bulk ‘jewelry’ policy than it was to just insure it with hodinkee.

IG: CrosbyStreetVintage
Sglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 02:39 AM   #15
mjm700
"TRF" Member

I also have home insurance with chubb and my watches are on their valuable personal property policy. I think it is expensive, but have no comparison. I have it all through USAA as a broker. I have to assume Hodinkee is effectively the same, similar to USAA, acting with Chubb.

I think others have a point on the pros/cons of insurance - i could definitely buy a nice watch for what i have spent on premiums over the past several years. Of course it is easy to say that in hindsight without a loss.

mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #16
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sglass View Post
Put everything on a Hodinkee policy. My home insurance is with Chubb and it was more expensive to do a bulk ‘jewelry’ policy than it was to just insure it with hodinkee.

Chubb has both a bulk amount for jewelry/watches and the valuable personal property, which is individual item-by-item. No deductible on the later.

mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 03:10 AM   #17
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Most HO policies will only insure jewelry up to $2,500.

Have an engagement ring insured through JM...about $200 yearly.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 03:41 AM   #18
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Jewelers Mutual for me. I upload the sales receipt as the 'appraisal'.
ronricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 04:34 AM   #19
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Jewelers Mutual for me. I upload the sales receipt as the 'appraisal'.

Yup - I did this in the past as well when I was insured through them (before Hodinkee Insurance). Works fine for watches that you can replace at that value. However - for most Rolex references these days, best to insure at market value to ensure you're covered (if you want the watch back)

In the event of a loss, you'd only be paid out the insured amount. Id imagine it'd be tough for them to source a Daytona or Pepsi, etc.

Same thing with many AP, PP references as well...
Old 27 July 2021, 06:59 AM   #20
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Yup - I did this in the past as well when I was insured through them (before Hodinkee Insurance). Works fine for watches that you can replace at that value. However - for most Rolex references these days, best to insure at market value to ensure you're covered (if you want the watch back)

In the event of a loss, you'd only be paid out the insured amount. Id imagine it'd be tough for them to source a Daytona or Pepsi, etc.

Same thing with many AP, PP references as well...
I also use JM for jewelry and some watches, however I recently moved my watches that are in the appreciation category (BLNR, SubC) to Hodinkee for their 150% coverage and no deductible.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 07:38 AM   #21
raffi
"TRF" Member

I did jm for my wife’s Daytona and jewelery a few years ago when hodinkee wasn’t around yet. I insured a chnr and dssd few months ago with hodinkee and it seems like a no brainer. Lower premium no deductible. No appraisal required. Just took a picture and value. It’s covered for appreciation of the watches as well. I don’t expect either of my watches to go over 150% so seemed enough for me. Of course we haven’t heard much in terms of negative experiences of not getting claims covered since it’s so new
raffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 10:03 AM   #22
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
I also use JM for jewelry and some watches, however I recently moved my watches that are in the appreciation category (BLNR, SubC) to Hodinkee for their 150% coverage and no deductible.

Yeah - I just ended up moving all my watches over to HODINKEE for simplicity. My wife’s jewelry is still insured through jewelers mutual