The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
The Brand Ambassador, does anyone care

Do brand ambassadors actually influence any ones choice of watch or brand .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:35 AM   #2
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
Personally, unpaid ambassadors carry more influence. One example, Philippe Dufour and his BLRO. What a compliment to Rolex that Dufour would purchase a contemporary Rolex (which is said to be his only one).

He got on the 'list' just like we all do, got the call, and bought it. I like that much more than brand product placement on golfers, tennis players, etc.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:45 AM   #3
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Yes, it’s important to have them. It’s part of the larger marketing puzzle.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:50 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Yes, it’s important to have them. It’s part of the larger marketing puzzle.
Agree with this. Do people go buy a Rolex because Federer wears one? Some might, but probably not. But the kind of visibility that comes with ambassadors like Federer (and the tournaments he plays in) absolutely influences people. If nothing else, they see Rolex as something to associate with the world's greatest professionals dominating their highly competitive fields at the highest level. It's what lawyers, bankers and CEOs strive to do every single day, and the association isn't lost on them (even if they're not consciously making it).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:59 AM   #5
sj24k
"TRF" Member

of course it matters. brand ambassadors and spokespeople are one of the pillars of effective brand marketing. especially for luxury brands. and especially for brands with global reach. whether directly or indirectly, they make an impact. there are multiple case studies stretching back to the beginning of branding and advertising, and a lot of data to support the effectiveness of this tactical approach.

yes, people will argue their specific POVs on this based on their own biases, and no, it doesn't always work as intended, but anyone who has spent any significant time working in, or studying brand marketing, knows how effective this can be.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:06 PM   #6
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Brand Ambassadors and "celebrity" figures matter. They can single-handedly raise a brand to a different level. They can take a not so popular watch and in seconds make it one of the most desired watches on the planet.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:08 PM   #7
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

ambassadors don't directly make people buy watches but they get them into the brands. some casual could be watching federer lift the trophy and see his watch and decide they like that style and go straight to rolex.com to pick out what they want. it's all about exposure to the brand. there could be other watches that look like it but the only thing that matters is that federer is all over social media with a datejust and other brands are somewhere only 100 people will see
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:22 PM   #8
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer II
I think Benedict Cumberbatch for JLC is a genius move on their part. He has an air of sophistication about him that blends perfectly with JLC.
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:31 PM   #9
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Ambassadors have fans, fans pay attention to what ambassadors do in their lives, they like these things and try to follow. Ambassadors also offer a lot of visibility of products, James Bond wears an Omega, must be where he gets his super powers, he drives an Aston Martin, must be a great automobile. James Bond goes places, people say that's James Bond, and scan him head to toe.
Marketing works, maybe not on you but works in general. The Kardashians became rich as influencers because if a Kardashian has it, it must be what makes them so popular and beautiful, etc.....the masses believe this.
People get masters degrees on marketing, it's not some pseudo science, it's real. Just like the last minute impulse buy stands right before check out, hell yesterday I picked up a reeses cups I wasn't even there to buy because I saw it and thought about it during check out.

Important people have influence, like Nadal playing with an RM or James Cameron wearing a Deepsea during his descent.

I remember when I worked at the Gap way back in time. Sharon Stone went to the Oscars wearing a simple black Gap mock neck t-shirt. The very next day it was literally sold out worldwide. Literally. And it remained backordered for months, just because Miss Cross Her Legs wore it during Oscars. It works.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:34 PM   #10
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For me it has the opposite effect…..actually depersonalises the watch and its the one thing that puts me off a lot of APs as i dont like the association with a particular figure….its too wannabe for me but i accept its an effective marketing tool for most brands.
Old 20 July 2021, 12:38 PM   #11
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
The Brand Ambassador, does anyone care

Of course it works.

Toss in a few key words or phrases and people get influenced without even knowing it.

People identify with said brand representative, and in the true human spirit of group identification ascribe a higher value to the brand.

And when the time comes to pull the trigger, the brand gets the most consideration and people come up with all sorts of irrational reasons why they bought it because their pride precludes accepting the possibility that they were influenced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:42 PM   #12
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Ibtm.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:49 PM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Not in the least.
I couldn't care less and if I didn't own a D-blue I probably wouldn't know that JC was an ambassador. I know nothing of the rest of them.

Personalities don't interest me in the least unless they can cook and post videos that I can learn from to be a better cook myself
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:54 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Personally, unpaid ambassadors carry more influence. One example, Philippe Dufour and his BLRO. What a compliment to Rolex that Dufour would purchase a contemporary Rolex (which is said to be his only one).

He got on the 'list' just like we all do, got the call, and bought it. I like that much more than brand product placement on golfers, tennis players, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj24k View Post
of course it matters. brand ambassadors and spokespeople are one of the pillars of effective brand marketing. especially for luxury brands. and especially for brands with global reach. whether directly or indirectly, they make an impact. there are multiple case studies stretching back to the beginning of branding and advertising, and a lot of data to support the effectiveness of this tactical approach.

yes, people will argue their specific POVs on this based on their own biases, and no, it doesn't always work as intended, but anyone who has spent any significant time working in, or studying brand marketing, knows how effective this can be.
You’re both right IMO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 01:23 PM   #15
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I don’t think it’s as effective as before. In the 80s when rocky came out everybody was hitting the gym. Now there are so many other methods like social media.

Also you can live and die with the behavior of the endorsers, without any guarantee of sales.

Some tv or social media ads with promotional events and influencers would do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:11 PM   #16
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I think Tudor does a pretty good job with their brand ambassadors
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:28 PM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
It promotes excellence .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:28 PM   #18
t60
"TRF" Member

No
t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:44 PM   #19
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ambassadors are not free if they don't matter there wouldn't be any of them.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:54 PM   #20
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I feel that it works more as a cumulative effect. When people see numerous highly recognized or high visibility individuals opting for a given brand this preference becomes ingrained in one’s psyche as a latent memory or point of recognition. Its all about psychology. So no, one individual doesn’t play a role, but a subtle blend of people of influence brings with it subconscious brand recognition which may or may not play a role in future consumer decisions if/when said consumers have disposable income. Proper marketing creates these future generations of buyers via these subtle means.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 03:01 PM   #21
M45
Banned

Bublé!!!
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:05 PM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Little to no impact on the WIS.

Some impact on the general public, but given the level of celebrity involved with some brands...compared with their insignificant market share...it does make one wonder if it's really effective.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:08 PM   #23
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I know most of the PGA tour guys that are Rolex ambassadors, but I’ve never actually thought about it too much. I love Richard Mille, likely won’t ever own one but i think Bubba Watson was the first time i really paid attention to the brand. So i guess it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:21 PM   #24
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
A big proportion of the population have as much individuality and depth of character as a gnat. Marketing is the proof of this. The fact that "Influencers" work tells you a lot about how feeble-minded many people are.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:24 PM   #25
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Does not influence me... unless I do not like the bloke.... a In that case my wallet remains closed.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:43 PM   #26
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
It’s a scam. The consumer pays for it.
Old 20 July 2021, 05:27 PM   #27
Pandos
"TRF" Member

It can and does work, whether it's an official one or not. John Mayer anyone? What about Snoopy?

However it doesn't always work and can backfire pretty badly (Kendall Jenner and Pepsi is a recent example), but companies and marketing teams pour billions of dollars into this every year for a reason.

If you manage to tie the right ambassador with the right product, it's a money printer essentially.

Whether you think your purchasing decision is influenced or not is another matter (but you're probably wrong if you think it doesn't, it's just your mind/ego trying to tell you otherwise a lot of the time).
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:42 PM   #28
Highend7
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116520
Yes it does influence people's choices...
Highend7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:48 PM   #29
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wouldn't influence me to purchase but would sway me to not buy one. Nike comes to mind
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 06:00 PM   #30
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Not sure that a brand ambassador would make me decide on which watch to buy but they are influencers and the world is full of influencers whether it is a watch, a car, a set of golf clubs, clothing, make-up, etc.

Everywhere we go and in everything we do we are influenced in some way.

So whilst we may claim that a celebrity promoting something doesn't influence us at all, subliminally it does.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote