The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2021, 02:38 AM   #1
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Traveling to Europe now . . . Thoughts?

We have a trip planned to Italy for about 3 weeks in Oct. Is this going to be a good time to visit or would wiser minds suggest waiting? I don’t want to wear a mask everywhere and have a bunch of businesses closed down. No idea how things look over there at this point. Any insights from locals or recent travels?
Old 29 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #2
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Same boat here with a October planned Spain trip. We have been booked for months but are slowly conceding it looks unlikely. I will wait until 9/1 to cancel though.

Spain imposes regional travel restrictions and this may impact our ability to travel within the country.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:42 AM   #3
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I'd say keep it for now and monitor the situation. Europe is always a great time -but I agree, I don't travel either if I need to deal with idiotic regulations
Old 29 July 2021, 02:46 AM   #4
Ona
Banned

I also don't think it's a right time. Please hold on a bit more and see if the situation of things improve. Although there's no certainty and there's a possibility of things even getting worse.
But let's remain positive.
Ona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:50 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My wife and I are frequent travelers to Italy and we are just ITCHING to go back.

That said, we’ve decided to wait another year for the same concerns you have raised. We know we won’t enjoy ourselves to the fullest if things aren’t as “normal”. There’s also talk of a 4th wave

I hope Nicholas sees this thread and can tell us what his family is seeing, as they live in the Amalfi coast region. Many members here too from Italy will hopefully chime in.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:54 AM   #6
Brew
"TRF" Member

No way. Shut downs are coming fast. I'd be concerned about getting stuck.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:56 AM   #7
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

We have a trip planned to Greece in September. When we booked it, we made sure everything was last minute cancelable and refundable anticipating possible pandemic related issues. Backup plan will be somewhere in the US. I don't mind indoor masking, but it won't be worth going if there is significant risk of transit disruption or if nonessential businesses need to limit services, let alone curfews.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:59 AM   #8
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
My in-laws just got back from a month in Romania and they had an absolute blast. Everything they wanted to see was open, they just had to wear masks.

With the delta variant becoming a hot topic and causing a few reversions to current policies though, it is something to be weary of elsewhere. Two members of my extended family just got COVID, and they were fully vaccinated.

Definitely a tough decision to make, but I'll say this - if it were me I'd still go, just based on my last year+ of traveling experience during COVID. It can be done in a safe manner - never a guarantee that you won't get COVID, but there are ways you can protect yourself while still enjoying life.
Old 29 July 2021, 03:07 AM   #9
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
My in-laws just got back from a month in Romania and they had an absolute blast. Everything they wanted to see was open, they just had to wear masks.

With the delta variant becoming a hot topic and causing a few reversions to current policies though, it is something to be weary of elsewhere. Two members of my extended family just got COVID, and they were fully vaccinated.

Definitely a tough decision to make, but I'll say this - if it were me I'd still go, just based on my last year+ of traveling experience during COVID. It can be done in a safe manner - never a guarantee that you won't get COVID, but there are ways you can protect yourself while still enjoying life.
Thx for input. I am vaccinated and not TERRIBLY concerned with getting Covid as it seems i’ll most likely not die at this point, lol. My concern would more lean towards enjoyability of a trip in these times.
Old 29 July 2021, 03:15 AM   #10
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

My estimate is everything will and should go back to normal starting September because a large percentage should have received their second shot. But who knows with the current delta variant and what comes after. A lot of people are getting it because they aren't fully vaccinated.

I just hope most of the teens and children have received a shot before the schools start in September. Add the colder weather in October and it's possible they still expect you to wear a mask indoors (museum, events, ...).

It's a coin flip to be honest.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 03:24 AM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
We have a trip planned to Italy for about 3 weeks in Oct. Is this going to be a good time to visit or would wiser minds suggest waiting? I don’t want to wear a mask everywhere and have a bunch of businesses closed down. No idea how things look over there at this point. Any insights from locals or recent travels?
We are waiting until next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My wife and I are frequent travelers to Italy and we are just ITCHING to go back.

That said, we’ve decided to wait another year for the same concerns you have raised. We know we won’t enjoy ourselves to the fullest if things aren’t as “normal”. There’s also talk of a 4th wave

I hope Nicholas sees this thread and can tell us what his family is seeing, as they live in the Amalfi coast region. Many members here too from Italy will hopefully chime in.
Agreed, far too many risks at this point that would outweigh an enjoyable trip
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 03:32 AM   #12
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
My estimate is everything will and should go back to normal starting September because a large percentage should have received their second shot. But who knows with the current delta variant and what comes after. A lot of people are getting it because they aren't fully vaccinated.

I just hope most of the teens and children have received a shot before the schools start in September. Add the colder weather in October and it's possible they still expect you to wear a mask indoors (museum, events, ...).

It's a coin flip to be honest.
I hope you’re right. Unfortunately, with the ease of crossing the globe these days, it’s imperative that a large majority of all countries are vaccinated. And we’re not fully sold on science and medicine here in the US at this point. Lol
Old 29 July 2021, 03:55 AM   #13
Playinwittime
"TRF" Member

Watch: out! I'm coming.
I took an international trip ending the beginning of July and a domestic trip this past weekend. My thoughts are that the pandemic cannot be counted on to go either way, but you just have to proceed on the best information lest you could wait years for the next potential variant to take hold, etc. Your season timing is otherwise perfect. We went in August before the pandemic and it was brutal in Italy. Personally, I would chance it and go in October.
Playinwittime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 04:18 AM   #14
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Not sure what to say Jesse. Too many variables on the table IMO. I'm planning on spending new year's eve in Amsterdam again like I always did but I haven't booked anything yet. I'll wait a bit longer to decide.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 04:43 AM   #15
Cru Jones

If a good cancellation policy, plan and see.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 04:47 AM   #16
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
If a good cancellation policy, plan and see.
Yes. Luckily can reschedule at no cost. Sounds like wait and see is the winner
Old 29 July 2021, 04:54 AM   #17
Grapenut

Watch: GMT(s) & Sub
Can't hurt to plan ahead if you have a good cancellation policy. Just cancelled a trip I had scheduled in early August to Europe.

Not overly concerned with getting COVID, but didn't want to run into re-entry issues if a positive test came up. So much to consider these days where international travel is involved.
Grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 05:07 AM   #18
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
Can't hurt to plan ahead if you have a good cancellation policy. Just cancelled a trip I had scheduled in early August to Europe.

Not overly concerned with getting COVID, but didn't want to run into re-entry issues if a positive test came up. So much to consider these days where international travel is involved.
Getting stuck would be a nightmare for me business-wise. Already hard enough to take the time right now.
Old 29 July 2021, 06:02 AM   #19
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Getting stuck would be a nightmare for me business-wise. Already hard enough to take the time right now.
I think that I would be tempted to wait awhile, getting stuck wouldn't be that good and the situation is changing daily over here.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 07:03 AM   #20
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Traveling to Europe now . . . Thoughts?

Italy is lovely in October

Still a risk things won’t be better/different this time next year with the potential for new variants etc.

Where are you planning on going ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 07:30 AM   #21
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
You need to go to Trip Advisor or a travel forum that can give you a more up to date advisory or look at the US eMbassy travel Guide for assistance.. Myself would not be bothered what others say and do what i want to do..You already said you have the best travel security plan going on and just plan and go..

I travel the world and did it during peak COVID and no issues... This is not like flying from Floriday to Colorado or stuff like that....Pack the bags and head out..quite simple
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 07:55 AM   #22
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
You need to go to Trip Advisor or a travel forum that can give you a more up to date advisory or look at the US eMbassy travel Guide for assistance.. Myself would not be bothered what others say and do what i want to do..You already said you have the best travel security plan going on and just plan and go..

I travel the world and did it during peak COVID and no issues... This is not like flying from Floriday to Colorado or stuff like that....Pack the bags and head out..quite simple
Well it’s a pleasure trip and I’m asking for input from travelers. I like to get feedback and find the thoughts helpful. Of course I can “do” anything I want but I’m not 21 with a chip on my shoulder any longer. I want to go enjoy myself and not have the looking threat of shutdowns, oppressive mandates, or being stuck on my mind whilst on vacation. Doesn’t seem relaxing.
Old 29 July 2021, 08:04 AM   #23
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Well it’s a pleasure trip and I’m asking for input from travelers. I like to get feedback and find the thoughts helpful. Of course I can “do” anything I want but I’m not 21 with a chip on my shoulder any longer. I want to go enjoy myself and not have the looking threat of shutdowns, oppressive mandates, or being stuck on my mind whilst on vacation. Doesn’t seem relaxing.
Myself with all these concerns would just pass and wait a few years and see what the US Immigration has to say about travel to where you are headed.. You can check many US websites for travel to your destination and see what restrictions are. Its a short and easy flight to anywhere in europe and be like traveling to Denver from Miami...
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 08:17 AM   #24
themast
"TRF" Member

It is difficult to predict how exactly it will look like but for sure there will still be restrictions and mask requirements.

We have tickets booked for November and I suspect we will have to cancel because there will likely be new restrictions.

Many friends traveled to Italy in the past month and overall they managed to enjoy themselves (granted, they were visiting family there more than anything else).

I would suggest monitoring TripAdvisor for the activity that you plan to do and see what users report there.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 08:19 AM   #25
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Ah, I am from the same region. I may have a relative with a Superfast and I did not know that!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 08:31 AM   #26
Carroll
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller 1665
Why not hold back a little while longer just to see what might pop up good or bad. Safety first.
Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 09:06 AM   #27
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
If I can give you some real world advice as what I know is going on through my in laws and sister in laws whom we speak to every day.
I can sum it up in a way that paints a picture. My father in law is battling lymphoma for a second time and is to start chemo as soon as his pneumonia clears up. He is in the hospital and there remains a very strict ruling of no visitors etc. Italy is open but restricted and things seem to be getting worse. My wife wants to go to see him as he is fighting this disease and she has been advised not to go as COVID and all is very unpredictable at this point. Things are not as clear as they may seem.
With our impending visit to see him and to encourage him to finish his treatments by Christmas, we would love to get on the plane and see him. But, alas, we are not planning anything at all. If I am in your shoes, I would hold off and pick other places and not risk it. But that’s me, and also my wife who is paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:09 AM   #28
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ask yourself… if you do get covid… can you stay there until you get a negative? Whatever that means, 2, 4 or 6 week?

I had plans with my in-laws and opted for cancelling… we got pets and boarding them beyond 2 weeks is cruel.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:09 AM   #29
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Just got the word today that my motorcycle trip through England, Scotland and Wales is a, lets say a 99% go. Mr. Johnson lifted the mandatory quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated visitors from the USA.

This trip was canceled last year so my brother and I are very excited.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:28 AM   #30
Grapenut

Watch: GMT(s) & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Just got the word today that my motorcycle trip through England, Scotland and Wales is a, lets say a 99% go. Mr. Johnson lifted the mandatory quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated visitors from the USA.

This trip was canceled last year so my brother and I are very excited.
Hope no surprises pop up and they stay the course. Sounds like an awesome trip!
Grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote