The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 October 2020, 09:42 PM   #1
Gempresidential
"TRF" Member

Recovering a Stolen Rolex

Hi all. So for years now my father has always mentioned the 18ct Presidential Rolex he bought back in the late 80s which was stolen not long after purchase. While he immediately filed a police report related to the break-in where it was stolen, he struggled to find the certificate & other credentials that came with the watch. So unfortunately those details weren’t included in the original report. Fast forward to a few months ago, those documents magically turned up including the original receipt of purchase from the Swiss shop he purchased from. The issue now is the the time that has spanned since the report was filed. Naturally, the police report is no longer on file with local police so he’s unable to provide that report to Rolex for flagging of the watch as stolen. Would you all advise filing a secondary police report all these years later for the sake of getting the watched flagged with Rolex? Just curious to know what options he may have if any given circumstances. Thanks in advance for any insights.
Gempresidential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 09:52 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempresidential View Post
Hi all. So for years now my father has always mentioned the 18ct Presidential Rolex he bought back in the late 80s which was stolen not long after purchase. While he immediately filed a police report related to the break-in where it was stolen, he struggled to find the certificate & other credentials that came with the watch. So unfortunately those details weren’t included in the original report. Fast forward to a few months ago, those documents magically turned up including the original receipt of purchase from the Swiss shop he purchased from. The issue now is the the time that has spanned since the report was filed. Naturally, the police report is no longer on file with local police so he’s unable to provide that report to Rolex for flagging of the watch as stolen. Would you all advise filing a secondary police report all these years later for the sake of getting the watched flagged with Rolex? Just curious to know what options he may have if any given circumstances. Thanks in advance for any insights.
No harm in tying but IMHO a waste of time that watch is long gone.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 10:08 PM   #3
peterpl
Banned

I would say there is almost 0% chance to get that watch back.

Its hard enough these days to get a modern recent theft recovered. One in the 80s? I dont think you will have much luck at all.

You can always try though.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Pongster
"TRF" Member

And crime must have prescribed as well
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 11:17 PM   #5
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I would say give it a shot. I agree with most that it’s unfortunately likely long gone.

Another side of me probably quite naively feels that with the amount of time that has passed maybe there is some record of the watch, (service, sales..somewhere) since the theft somewhere that could help lead in the right direction. I would say give it a shot.
Old 24 October 2020, 11:22 PM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Didn't Mr. Thorp, a You Tuber, say lately Rolex ended their stolen watch registry?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 12:25 AM   #7
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Didn't Mr. Thorp, a You Tuber, say lately Rolex ended their stolen watch registry?
Going off topic but I trust that guy as far as I can throw him.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 12:29 AM   #8
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticsub View Post
Going off topic but I trust that guy as far as I can throw him.
What do your feelings re trust with him have anything about to do with facts?

The register is not available to the public but it does exist, that is the gripe.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:09 AM   #9
SoTaxLaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I would say there is almost 0% chance to get that watch back.

Its hard enough these days to get a modern recent theft recovered. One in the 80s? I dont think you will have much luck at all.

You can always try though.
So you’re saying there’s a chance....
SoTaxLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:11 AM   #10
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Why would the police report be gone? Call the dept. you might have to mail a letter requesting it but I’m sure it’s filed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:26 AM   #11
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTaxLaw View Post
So you’re saying there’s a chance....
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:33 AM   #12
FQ01
"TRF" Member

Let's make a thought experiment: somehow this watch is located. It's been 30 years past, any crime has a period of validity. This watch could have changed owners 10+ times. Would you suggest taking this watch from the current owner, even though he might be an honest buyer?

Personally, I don't know the right answer, but if there are laywers here, I would be happy to hear their comments on such cases.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
FQ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:35 AM   #13
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

I would absolutely contact Rolex service center, and provide the serial number. If it hasn't already been in for service it may turn up in the future. You have nothing to lose.

As for the police report, contact the local PD, and ask to update the report with the documentation. If they can't find the original, ask if you can refile.

I hope you will be able to recover your dad's watch. What a great story that would be after ALL these years!
Old 25 October 2020, 01:52 AM   #14
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

I have to agree that the odds aren't in your favor but why not? I also dislike the fact that Rolex no longer has their stolen watch registry online.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:24 AM   #15
Gempresidential
"TRF" Member

Wow, thanks for all the responses and interest everyone. I tend to hold the same sentiments as each of you. I'm skeptical anything will come of this but can't help but hold a glimmer of hope that the watch may still be out there somewhere & could turn up. If the original certificate documents & receipt showing my fathers name, place of purchase, home address at the time (location item was stolen), & watch serial number didn't turn up, I'd say no chance in hell. But we've got all of those in tact and in pristine legible condition.

Now regarding the stolen registry program being discontinued, I was directed to contact missing watch report at r u s a dot com (spaced cause can't post) who then provided me a Missing Watch Report form to fill out. I'd post an image of the form but I'm restricted from doing so since I'm a new member on the forum. After filling out the form and sending it back via email, I then received the request for an accompanying police report from the a representative at the Rolex Customer Division on Fifth Ave in NY. That email was also followed by a mailed letter from the office restating the need for a police report for the flagging process to be done/granted. So all signs point to it not being discontinued...unless of course this was a more recent decision by Rolex.

To the question as to why the police report is no longer available at the local PD. It's been 30 years since the break-in so we're talking a police report that was filed prior to digitization etc. Most PDs also seem to have a term in which they keep reports on file. In the same token, attempts to search for the report weren't necessarily met with opposition, my father was simply told to report to a number of different locations to request they search for the report to no avail thus far. So my thinking is there may be better luck "re-filing" now that the certificate documents & reciept have resurfaced. Heck, if 50 years down the line I get a call that the watch has turned up, I'd be happy simply out of principle. Now whether the so called owner of the time piece would be, I'm not so sure. And what legal action could they take? Not so sure either. After all, you know the deal when purchasing a Rolex with no certificate documentation to accompany it am I right? May give this thing a shot just to appease all our inquisitive minds. *shrugs*
Old 25 October 2020, 02:29 AM   #16
Gempresidential
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the outpouring of messages everyone. I've replied but my response has to be approved by the moderator. Want to say that I'm shocked at the impression the stolen watch registry is closed. I not only was provided a "missing watch report form", this filled form was replied to by a representative of the customer service division at Rolex in addition to a mailed letter from the Rolex office in NY on Fifth Ave stating the necessity of an accompanying police report.
Old 25 October 2020, 02:43 AM   #17
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I can see how it’s difficult for Rolex to manage this type of registry. How do they determine if the watch was really stolen, and do they really want to get into mediation if a watch turns up at a service center.

On the plus side, if it is stolen of course it’s great for the owner to have a route in getting it back.

On the negative side, I have to imagine almost no one who brings their watch to an authorized service center knows the watch was actually stolen. And if there were instances of reporting it stolen but it was actually sold, it was be a huge headache for the new buyer.

So makes sense they need a police report, comes up stolen just report it to the police and let them deal with it. Filing a false report with Rolex isn’t a crime, but it is if you file it with the police. So much less likely that people will falsely file a theft if it didn’t happen.

OP, very interested to see how it turns out and what Rolex says.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:44 AM   #18
Bracton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ01 View Post
Let's make a thought experiment: somehow this watch is located. It's been 30 years past, any crime has a period of validity. This watch could have changed owners 10+ times. Would you suggest taking this watch from the current owner, even though he might be an honest buyer?

Personally, I don't know the right answer, but if there are laywers here, I would be happy to hear their comments on such cases.

I am a lawyer although not a US one (I am educated on the civil law system). Under criminal law the statute of limitations has most probably have expired and, if so, you will be unable to pursue criminal actions. Concerning recovery of the watch it will also be very difficult, particularly if (as expected) the watch has changed hands several times and the current owners can prove that it has acquired it in good faith. Not considering of course that the thief or others are probably no longer among us. That being said if you want to test the system is always good to do so but please don’t invest too much time or any money as chances of obtaining any positive result are extremely slim.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Bracton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:52 AM   #19
Gempresidential
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post

On the negative side, I have to imagine almost no one who brings their watch to an authorized service center knows the watch was actually stolen. And if there were instances of reporting it stolen but it was actually sold, it was be a huge headache for the new buyer.

I would agree with this sentiment, however, as a Rolex forum members, I can't help but ask whether any of you have/would purchase a Rolex piece without necessary certificates & documents provided? My understanding is that watches that lack these supporting documents are often heavily discounted by re-sellers/street sellers further raising concern of the watch being stolen. Moderator, please approve my post! I think what I've shared would be valuable to all members.
Old 25 October 2020, 04:19 AM   #20
FQ01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempresidential View Post
I would agree with this sentiment, however, as a Rolex forum members, I can't help but ask whether any of you have/would purchase a Rolex piece without necessary certificates & documents provided? My understanding is that watches that lack these supporting documents are often heavily discounted by re-sellers/street sellers further raising concern of the watch being stolen. Moderator, please approve my post! I think what I've shared would be valuable to all members.
Well, you can follow the market & chrono24 and check for yourself.

The consensus here is that the condition of the watch is much more important than box&papers, especially that there are places where people sell their boxes and/or papers, vintage Rolex certificates can be forged, etc.. So I would not trust vintage papers that much in any case.

Before people started treating Rolex as investment instead of enjoying the watch in the first place, they did not care to keep papers. This is why vintage pieces with proper documents and known ownership history sell at a premium. Vintage pieces without papers do not sell at discount, may be at a slight one at best.

Old 25 October 2020, 04:22 AM   #21
FQ01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracton View Post
I am a lawyer although not a US one (I am educated on the civil law system). Under criminal law the statute of limitations has most probably have expired and, if so, you will be unable to pursue criminal actions. Concerning recovery of the watch it will also be very difficult, particularly if (as expected) the watch has changed hands several times and the current owners can prove that it has acquired it in good faith. Not considering of course that the thief or others are probably no longer among us. That being said if you want to test the system is always good to do so but please don’t invest too much time or any money as chances of obtaining any positive result are extremely slim.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
Thank you for your comments. I had a very similar view, that after some time it is hard to impossible to get stolen assets back even if you manage to locate them

Old 25 October 2020, 11:17 PM   #22
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Recovering a Stolen Rolex

I’ve heard of watches being returned. The stolen registry is not closed. It’s only closed to the public.

Rolex will likely not release any watch without working with law enforcement so there may be quite a wait even if someone did bring it in. Paul Thorpe said one of his watches was brought in 10 years later and rolex confiscated it while they story things out. A police report is necessary.

I am sure stolen property laws are based on state laws so it depends on the state you’re in when the item got stolen. Generally speaking, My understanding is that the stolen item goes back to original owner. Subsequent good faith buyers must go back to where they bought from and try to recover from there, unfortunately. That’s why it’s important who you buy from. For example, if insurance paid out the loss, they would ultimately get it back right?

I think you will have more of an issue filing a report now and have the police dept take it seriously as well as Rolex. You need to try to get the original report. Do you have the number or anything to help track it down? I don’t believe they get destroyed. That’s nonsense. It’s probably filed away by hand and will take time to locate. I’m just thinking in terms of rolex taking a new report seriously. You could’ve bought papers on eBay. You could’ve sold the watch 30 years ago and now pretend it was stolen. Lots of issues with this type of reporting and unfortunately rolex is put into a position of being the middle man. I think a new report may not help much unless the subsequent owner is the thief or knows about the theft and the police document it somehow.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:20 PM   #23
EngIcedave
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB
IMO, move on.

You're just going to frustrate yourself. Be frustrated if you do find it, and you can't recover it (you will not be able to). Be frustrated if you never find it, because you know it's out there, they don't decompose.

Move on, for your own mental health
EngIcedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:52 AM   #24
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
What do your feelings re trust with him have anything about to do with facts?

The register is not available to the public but it does exist, that is the gripe.
Thorpe was complaining about Rolex having his stolen -and now found- gmt in their possession, not a register from what I saw. But in my opinion, like often with this guy he only tells half the story.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 02:36 AM   #25
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
I would absolutely contact Rolex service center, and provide the serial number. If it hasn't already been in for service it may turn up in the future. You have nothing to lose.

As for the police report, contact the local PD, and ask to update the report with the documentation. If they can't find the original, ask if you can refile.

I hope you will be able to recover your dad's watch. What a great story that would be after ALL these years!
This.. Why not? You can't lose whats already been lost.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 03:03 AM   #26
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
I don't envisage any chance of a return or result as such but if the paperwork is put in place then someone wearing the proceeds might get a shock at service time.
At least it would then be out of circulation.
Just a thought.
Tikandtokalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 04:04 AM   #27
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’d be surprised that the police would create a new report on a 30 year old theft and I don’t doubt at all that a 30 year old report doesn’t exist anymore. As others have noted the watch has probably has changed hands multiple times. I think you are wasting time with unrealistic expectations of ever getting it back.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 05:27 AM   #28
Woody
"TRF" Member

Personally I would not want that watch back. I would just move on.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:10 PM   #29
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
That is a sad story. Save money and buy him a new one.

moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:50 PM   #30
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
https://www.thewatchregister.com

Worth a shot...good luck.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote